• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to meetwo for the heads up! A real surprise release!

$4.99

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fez-pocket-edition/id1209489068?mt=8

520x293bb.jpg

520x293bb.jpg

520x293bb.jpg

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
wonder how it handles the rumble stuff? I guess phones rumbles, but ipads don't.... and even the phones, do they have 2 separate rumble-things?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If PC's are for spreadsheets, what are phones for?
Phone calls?
Was that the solution though? IE, were these puzzles impossible with a keyboard?

As someone who played Fez with a keyboard (because I was using a laptop), I never knew I was missing anything.
I don't think there was ever any technical limitation that prevented it, I think it was a philosophical objection on Phil's part. He saw his game as something you sat in front of your TV to play with a controller. I think he was trying to create something evocative of the experiences he'd had playing games the same way as a child.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
Does it mean Phil Fish is back in gaming?
Nahhhhh. Most probably not. Someone from Polytron probably asked if he changed his mind yet on the iOS thing and he said yes. No doubt he could use some more royalties cash. I don't think Phil ever steps into the public with another game if he ever starts making again. Or maybe he's creating under a psudeonym.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been awhile, what was the deal of Phil apparently stealing something regarding to Fez? Was that true or false?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
wonder how it handles the rumble stuff? I guess phones rumbles, but ipads don't.... and even the phones, do they have 2 separate rumble-things?

I'm pretty sure the Vita version had some subtle audio cues, but has been a while so I might remember it wrong. But do all recent idevices feature stereospeakers?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Tried it now on iPhone X, seems like a solid port. Some quick impressions:

- You control using a virtual D-Pad. Just from playing it a bit, I can tell this is not gonna be easy to play on a touchscreen. I wish they did the control system the way Limbo did on iPhone.
- Locked 60FPS on iPhone X, doesn't have the weird constant stutter that Fez used to have in its earlier engine incarnations.
- Graphics and sounds seem unchanged, looks and sounds fantastic
- It is pillarboxed on iPhone X, doesn't render across the whole screen. This seem to be a conscious decision, as the game does actually utilize whole iPhone X screen when registering swipes for example.
- You swipe left/right to rotate the perspective, which is implemented really well.

Last edited:

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still in disbelief that Fez II is never ever coming out. Fez is such a gem of a game, the OST itself is one of the best video game soundtracks ever. I appreciate them preserving this title and releasing it to as many platforms as possible. I'm considering bying Fez for the third time.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Tried it now on iPhone X, seems like a solid port. Some quick impressions:

- You control using a virtual D-Pad. Just from playing it a bit, I can tell this is not gonna be easy to play on a touchscreen. I wish they did the control system the way Limbo did on iPhone.
- Locked 60FPS on iPhone X, doesn't have the weird constant stutter that Fez used to have in its earlier engine incarnations.
- Graphics and sounds seem unchanged, looks and sounds fantastic
- It is pillarboxed on iPhone X, doesn't render across the whole screen. This seem to be a conscious decision, as the game does actually utilize whole iPhone X screen when registering swipes for example.

Thanks for the impressions. I think I'm curious enough to check it out but was weary of the controls and iPhoneX support.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fez II was probably about 1% in development when he cancelled it, huge shame but theres no way it could live up to the original. Still though..5 years wow.

Hyper Light Drifter stole my pixel art heart + Disasterpeace soundtrack though.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
fez is one of the best puzzle games of all time, and one of the best games of all time period, i still hope that one day i'll wake up and see fez 2 has been surprise-released.
i don't think i'll play this on my phone but this news has made me want to replay my steam copy, but this time not look at any guides. just but out my pen and paper and figure it out on my own, which won't be as hard as it was for people who played it at lunch cuz i know the solutions to the major puzzles.

Why not on Android too?
don't want to be douchy but releasing premium games on android is kinda like giving it away. i know many people do pay for them, but the fact that you can put the file on the phone and install it and it's as easy as that, if i was a dev i would hesitate to port the game to android, or at least release it at the same time as the ios version.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
This entire week is insane. Inside, Fez, Life Is Strange, Gorogoa, Oddworld New n Tasty. Thumper is next month
Holy crap, you were not kidding. I posted LiS impressions in the LiS:BtS thread (it's a very high quality port, oni iphone x, performance is about on par with PS4 version!). But Inside.... holy crap, the port is mind bogglingly good.
- 60FPS with rare 30FPS drops (on iPhone X, I will test later on iPad)
- Limbo-like controls, meaning that it controls so well you won't really miss the physical controller
- Visuals seem identical to PS4/XBO version
- Full screen rendering on iPhone X
- The menu access bar on the bottom of the screen is handled properly - it requires two swipes to close and is partially transparent. I wish all game developers would implement it this way in their games. Too many of them seemed to miss this in their "iPhone X update" including Simogo, and now also LiS, They all render the bar with no transparency and with one swipe closing.

More than anything though, Inside is just so impressive to look at on the iPhone X screen. If you play the game in the darkness, those dark trees that float across the screen basically become part of the device you're holding, as they bleed perfectly into screen bezels - it creates an illusion that's mesmerizing to look at. Also, the game is free to start, and then when you finish the beginning part, you can unlock the rest for $8 (or maybe $7, I'm no sure, as I see the price in Canadian dollars which is $10).

Last edited: