• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget trains!

zn2tDTH.jpg

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It can be the greatest MMO in history but like all of them the first 20 hours have you mindlessly run around town from NPC to NPC, doing tiresome fetch and critter killing quests. I'm sure it's a fantastic game once reached the good parts after 30 hours but you've lost me after only a couple of hours of killing ladybugs and rabbits.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The instances of element like the Crystal Tower doesn't detract that it's first and foremost an original world with a beefy lore that is mostly comprised of new elements. FF14 is not afraid to create original content for the game at all, so what's the issue there ?
But it does detract for me. It's a bizarre FF Frankenstein monster that started to included random FF stuff to the point it became an "anything goes" game world. They started it with the CT and the end up having you face FFVI end-game iconic bosses in the actual game. I fully expect Sephiroth to pop up sometime in the future when FFVII remake comes out.

I understand why they do this since it sells and it saves them actually coming up with new content. It's a pretty good strategy. Why come up with A''Taieu when you can hype up Rabanaste and call it a day?

Oct 31, 2017
ok I think XV has a fun battle system, has some ambitious ideas, and has a fantastic soundtrack, but...

honestly I'm never going to get over how absolutely atrocious the story is. Like it's so bad I can't believe anyone still has the balls to try defending it

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor that YoshiP's team was also doing XVI? If so, you might just get your wish OP.

For my part, I managed to finish XV (which on the whole is not a 'bad' game, but not great either), whereas I couldn't even finish my free trial of XIV because it was literally hours of that generic MMO hunt quest stuff and I was so not interested, lol. Apparently it gets better later, but I dunno if I have the time or money for that.

Oct 30, 2017
So? If you didn't fight flans and bombs and cactaurs you might have a point but it's still a fusion of aesthetics. Don't you still enter ancient temples, caves filled with demons, fight giant beasts in the wild? In FFVII it was a dieselpunk industrial revolution world combined with fantasy elements. In FFXV it's a contemporary modern world combined with fantasy elements. It's a totally ridiculous thing to criticize FFXV for.

It's an open world, how else are you supposed to get around? You can travel between destinations on foot, on chocobo, or in a car that happens to have the ability to transform into a plane by the end of the game. That's quintessential Final Fantasy.

It's the same sort of argument that you'd have seen against FFVII when it first came out because it was so radically different than the first six games in the world it depicted. It's an argument that goes nowhere.

This escalated beyond my interest. I was strictly talking about the screen shots you commented on where you implied all three are the same based on two screen shots from 2 seconds of CG footage of driving that has nothing to do with the game beyond it being a scene, versus a game mechanic that you literally spend a big chunk of time doing.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it. It would be panned since it only gets kind of good at the end of A Realm Reborn, and I mean, in the last patches before Heavensward starts. It will be hard to keep players engaged until the good parts start.

OP
OP

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing that stands out to me in FF14 was Heavensward. Everything else was mediocre. Most of the cutscenes are low budget and the activities are filler crap you find in most MMOs.
Heavensward and ARR late patches are definetly very good. they would have to rework the base story though, I agree. But the low budget and filler crap would not be present, that is exactly my point.

FF games don't really have "post game" content, do they? When I think of FF end game content I think of doing everything I need to do before the final encounters. Do any of them even have NG+?

Post-Game in FF is everything outside the main story for me. Beating the final boss AFTER having done everything in the game is no fun. So I always go beat it and then do the other stuff.

The best thing about FFXIV is it's encounter design and boss battles which necessitate coordination between 8 players. Beating some of the savage raids on FFXIV have been the most rewarding content for me in any game for me ever. So no, I don't think it would work as single player.

You definetly would have to rework the bosses etc. to work in Singleplayer. I think FF12 combat system with 4 people party would work the best.

Your opinion doesn't make sense. You like the game, fine. So why suddenly make another game when ff14 already exist.
To be fair, gamers have issues expressing any opinion without tearing down another product.
OP opinion has no reason to exist since ff14 is currently being heavily supported by SE. it is not like they stopped making ff14 to make 15 and possibly 16.

Because FF15 has nothing of the charme and style of old FF games and FF14 shows that Square CAN still make games like these.

OP, I have over 8000 hours on FFXIV and I love XV just as much if not more sometimes. So no, you're not gonna replace it with any other entry. Gtfo with that mentality, you don't get to decide what is FF and what is not.

GTFO with the mentality of voicing my opinion? I don't really decide which direction FF takes or can erase XV out of existence. You can still play it tomorrow. Maybe chill a bit? This is a message board and the point is to voice opinions and discuss about them.

I liked FFXIV but this...
Yeah, it does.
708.jpg

squall4.jpg

Modern stuff + anime people has been FF's thing for multiple titles.

FF15 never got into the heavy Fantasy stuff like 7 or 8 did and the style never got me like all FFs up until that point. FF13 was also bland in comparison to FF1-12.

Your problem? My favorite JRPG series gets a new entry, I will play that. Also FF13 didn't get really good until I did the post/side content and I wanted to give FF15 the same chance. Sadly the dungeons sucked and Adamantoise was the worst boss fight I ever encountered. I fought 40 minutes vs a fucking foot and had to just spam a button - FUN

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FF15 never got into the heavy Fantasy stuff like 7 or 8 did and the style never got me like all FFs up until that point. FF13 was also bland in comparison to FF1-12.

7 and 8 weren't particularly heavy fantasy games, though. 8 was basically a sci-fi game. And FFXV's main threat is a strain of alien bacteria that turns living things into demons.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV's setting is good, but the gameplay loop is probably the most repetitive and dry in MMOs since Runescape'07 and trying to convert FFXIV's main-quest (Including that of the expansions) to a singleplayer game would require absurd amounts of Fat Trimming and re-pacing to get anything resembling a positive reception.

Nov 8, 2017
texas
But it does detract for me. It's a bizarre FF Frankenstein monster that started to included random FF stuff to the point it became an "anything goes" game world. They started it with the CT and the end up having you face FFVI end-game iconic bosses in the actual game. I fully expect Sephiroth to pop up sometime in the future when FFVII remake comes out.

I understand why they do this since it sells and it saves them actually coming up with new content. It's a pretty good strategy. Why come up with A''Taieu when you can hype up Rabanaste and call it a day?
they have done both though. the raids are mostly side stories contextualized in the world of xiv, but are very obviously throwbacks to older ff stuff, but not even always.

besides that it's not like they can just 1:1 port boss fights and areas from other games and call it a day. visual and mechanic design still go into everything, as well as writing a questline associated with it. it's just as much work as designing something from the ground up.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Seems like a weird reason to lose interest over a game lmao
It's weird to be honest! It doesn't happen as much here since I now avoid FF threads generally, but in other places I get piled on for not playing XIV and instead "wasting my time on trash like XV and XIII."

Same thing happens with BR games to me. Whenever I tell people I play Overwatch, they tell me to drop it ASAP and play Fortnite or PUBG since it's actually cool to 0lay or something.

Its those kinds of things that push me away from trying something.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Then what is Void Ark ? Tons of people liked it

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
If they added bots to pad out dungeon/event waiting (or single player option), voice acting for all dialogue (nearly impossible), and did away with the subscription... yes, it could have passed off as XIV. But I personally like XV the way it is... and XIV as well.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Seems like a weird reason to lose interest over a game lmao

I think not wanting to associate with fans who feel like they need to tear down games in the series to elevate the one they like the most doesn't help convince players who do like XV. At the very least, it isn't helpful. Even people who play both like myself, hate when the fanbase feels like they need to convince "prospects" and do it by putting down other games. It's a little zealous.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
XIV's story is excellent but it has many low points that drag on for awhile. I guess that is a side-effect of being a mmo. But man are it's highs so, so good. Also, the cast of characters is really good.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Let's wait until FF11 gets a single player treatment/remake before proclaiming FF14 would be better as single player.

Its story would need to be HEAVILY pruned and the boring-yet-nevessary hotbar MMO gameplay is simply unacceptable for a single player title.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

They're doing new story content and things that flesh out Hydaelyn and cameo bosses through Omega. What's wrong with doing both? A Sephiroth raid would be fun, based on how entertaining Exdeath and Kefka were.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But hey, we got this, doesn't this just scream FINAL FANTASY to you?????
final-fantasy-15-soundtrack-liste.jpg

You said you platinumed XV and you're cherry-picking this screenshot to make your point? Go play FFXIV and enjoy it, no need for this pointless post.

I'm fucking sick of the debate of what we consider FF, on people complain about the new ones and the online ones, it doesn't fucking matter, shut the fuck up.
Relax, Dale. Not worth getting worked up over!

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Every single XIV player keeps telling me this game has an actual good story and chars unlike XV. Is this true?
XIV's story is great, BUT...it doesn't really start to get good until the very end of 2.0 (A Realm Reborn), so you have to slog through nearly 100 quests of mostly mediocre stuff first (with a few good parts here and there) as you go from level 1 to 50. Once you hit the level 50 quests, though, the story starts to build and build through the 2.X patches (which is another 100 quests, by the way) to a really great finale that leads directly into Heavensward. Then Heavensward's story is legitimately great from start to finish, and Stormblood's is very good as well.

So yeah, the story is great, but you have to experience most of the worst of it for quite a while before you get to the good stuff.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This escalated beyond my interest. I was strictly talking about the screen shots you commented on where you implied all three are the same based on two screen shots from 2 seconds of CG footage of driving that has nothing to do with the game beyond it being a scene, versus a game mechanic that you literally spend a big chunk of time doing.
It doesn't matter how much time you spend doing it. Four anime boys with goofy hair and clothing in a modern vehicle looks like Final Fantasy to me. It's inane to nitpick the quantity of time oriented around any particular theme or concept. It says FFXV on the box, it's a FF game. Almost every game in the series does something new or features mechanics that previous games didn't.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
XIV's story is great, BUT...it doesn't really start to get good until the very end of 2.0 (A Realm Reborn), so you have to slog through nearly 100 quests of mostly mediocre stuff first (with a few really good parts here and there) as you go from level 1 to 50. Once you hit the level 50 quests, though, the story starts to build and build through the 2.X patches (which is another 100 quests, by the way) to a really great finale that leads directly into Heavensward. Then Heavensward's story is legitimately great from start to finish, and Stormblood's is very good as well.

So yeah, the story is great, but you have to experience most of the worst of it for quite a while before you get to the good stuff.

Hey. Hey.

Let's not go crazy.

You remember Moogle Hide and Seek. Everyone remembers Moogle Hide and Seek.

I wish I could forget Moogle Hide and Seek...

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
No thanks. I like when they take chances on things, even if they aren't my favorite.

Looking forward to FFXVI being totally different from XIV and XV.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I am 1000% confident in saying that if that were the case, I would still be positive about the Final Fantasy franchise future.

FFXV really broke me, I could NOT get into it, but as I am a big fan of the franchise... I had to see it through, and playing it all the way through was just brutal. Granted, I didn't realize they basically released an early access game back on the release day... so I got the worst possible experience.

FFXIV is a SUPREMELY underrated game, whether pure playing as a solo player or a social player. Had some amazing times in that game, in both camps. Don't sleep on it if you haven't played it.

Oct 30, 2017
It amazes me what FFXV has done to ppl lol. The amount of fighting it creates in these forums is crazy. I know ppl are vocal on their dislike for it, but the defence force for XV just shows how this game despite everything it did wrong for a lot of ppl, it really stuck with many others. Especially when they say it's their favourite entry.

Will be interesting to see what XVI does to ppl and how the conversation evolves.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
releasing a singleplayer version of ffxiv 4 years after ffxiv came out would have been a publicity disaster because you'd basically be throwing all the people who originally paid for and supported your game with subscriptions under the bus (also calling it ffxv, lmao)

no company would do this

Last edited:

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I am 1000% confident in saying that if that were the case, I would still be positive about the Final Fantasy franchise future.

FFXV really broke me, I could NOT get into it, but as I am a big fan of the franchise... I had to see it through, and playing it all the way through was just brutal. Granted, I didn't realize they basically released an early access game back on the release day... so I got the worst possible experience.

FFXIV is a SUPREMELY underrated game, whether pure playing as a solo player or a social player. Had some amazing times in that game, in both camps. Don't sleep on it if you haven't played it.

giphy.gif

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
GTFO with the mentality of voicing my opinion? I don't really decide which direction FF takes or can erase XV out of existence. You can still play it tomorrow. Maybe chill a bit? This is a message board and the point is to voice opinions and discuss about them.
Had you only said you wanted a single player FFXIV with higher production values, not only I would have agreed with you but I would have also helped you start a petition.
But no. No, you had to say that it's what XV should have been and also that what, XV doesn't scream Final Fantasy enough for you?
I reiterate, gtfo with that mentality. Final Fantasy is what Square wants it to be.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
It amazes me what FFXV has done to ppl lol. The amount of fighting it creates in these forums is crazy. I know ppl are vocal on their dislike for it, but the defence force for XV just shows how this game despite everything it did wrong for a lot of ppl, it really stuck with many others. Especially when they say it's their favourite entry.

Will be interesting to see what XVI does to ppl and how the conversation evolves.

It's really not all that different to what X, XI, XII, XIII, AND XIV did to the fanbase upon their respective releases. Hell, VII and it's fans were called brutal things back in the day due to FF jumping from Nintendo to PlayStation.