• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I agree OP, XIV is better in every way than XV, especially with the boss fights. Bonus points that's it's multiplayer but can be played mostly as a single player game if you want to.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I really hope they go hard fantasy for FF16. I think we've had enough sci-fi/modern era games that we really need a fantasy single player FF soon. Also, FF7R being a thing would hopefully prevent SE from going the sci-fi route for FF16.

Oct 30, 2017
It's really not all that different to what X, XI, XII, XIII, AND XIV did to the fanbase upon their respective releases. Hell, VII and it's fans were called brutal things back in the day due to FF jumping from Nintendo to PlayStation.

Your right, I guess they've all followed more deviating paths from each other than they did before, besides the shift to 3D on PS ofcourse.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
ARR as a whole is slow in large chunks, but overall it ends extremely strong assuming you haven't started skipping cutscenes. Heavensward is less slow but still has portions that felt somewhat tedious, but the overall package was great. Stormblood is a cacophony of twists and turns and promises fulfilled from all the way back in 1.0. This even extends to the side-stories, they're all well told and expand on the lore in very interesting ways. The current patch is the best thing they've ever done with narrative, and I have no idea where the story is going now. That's a good thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I can't to get to Heavensward to see all the fuss myself, but powering through ARR's story comprised of a glut of busywork is a chore.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I really hope they go hard fantasy for FF16. I think we've had enough sci-fi/modern era games that we really need a fantasy single player FF soon. Also, FF7R being a thing would hopefully prevent SE from going the sci-fi route for FF16.

Because of XIV, I kind of feel oversaturated with "hard-fantasy" FF, that I kinda want a steampunk/modern FF again to balance out all of the hi-fantasy going on, even in JRPGs.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
TankAttack.jpg

WTF, tanks in my Finaru Fantaji??!

And that crazy, medieval as fuck submarine in FFV! ;)

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The best thing about every other Final Fantasy is that they are not Final Fantasy XV.

This can be said about almost every game ever created.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
You should stick with it cause there is a lot more quests that are nothing like those
I believe it gets better, but it's partially a time investment thing. I could see that the game relied heavily on constantly giving the player a written objective and a quest marker and showering them with rewards at every corner, and I know how that ends. Lately I've been wanting games that encourage and incentivize exploration rather than "perform this checklist" and FFXIV just couldn't provide that.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing 14 now and finished Stormblood. The story in the game is pretty damn good. Lore is A+.

BeatnikGunso

Oct 25, 2017
man ffxiv is the only game I got burnt out on twice and that's with a sixteen month break in between, the forced story quests to get to expansion content really wears you out man.

Joker13

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
XIV's story is only good for MMO's standers man

if it was a SP FF game, it would've been considered one of the worst plots in the series

OP
OP

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Had you only said you wanted a single player FFXIV with higher production values, not only I would have agreed with you but I would have also helped you start a petition.
But no. No, you had to say that it's what XV should have been and also that what, XV doesn't scream Final Fantasy enough for you?
I reiterate, gtfo with that mentality. Final Fantasy is what Square wants it to be.
And I have to eat it up and shut up, good idea. Maybe you should just not post in these topics or put people with different opinions on ignore?
One of the "biggest" Side Quest was this guy in FF15:
vyv-in-ffxv.png

Yes, other Final Fantasys also had anime/fantasy stuff and "realistic" stuff mixed, but FF15 went all in on the realistic stuff that the fantasy stuff often seemed like an afterthought.
Here you travel with your car, but also here is a Chocobo, because otherwise you wouldn't even fucking know this is a FF game.
Of course it had Tonberry and other iconic monsters, but they did nothing for me because they didn't even really fit the setting. Behemoth was also wasted as a set piece.
I could go on and on what I (as in ME) didn't like. And I still wish FF15 went a different direction.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, Final Fantasy XV felt a lot like a Final Fantasy game to me. It felt structured like one, and the setting was very much a VI-VIII feel.

It was bad, but so are a lot of other FFs.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It amazes me what FFXV has done to ppl lol. The amount of fighting it creates in these forums is crazy. I know ppl are vocal on their dislike for it, but the defence force for XV just shows how this game despite everything it did wrong for a lot of ppl, it really stuck with many others. Especially when they say it's their favourite entry.

Will be interesting to see what XVI does to ppl and how the conversation evolves.

XV is an incredibly unique and in many ways beutiful game.

Let's be clear here, a lot of the gameplay issues are awful. Truly awful, and mind-bogglingly ill-thought out.

But the good in XV shines in a way few other games have managed. It perfectly captures the essence of these four close friends going on a road trip, the intimacy involved and the whole experience.

It's a proper feeling of adventure, and the world, while not particularly well explained or developed, is incredibly interesting and feels different from anything else.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Oh I miss XIV. Hopefully they'll show the next expansion soon. I play it for the story and I want to get back to its world.

but I don't see the need for game replacements, XIV is fine as it is.

Oct 30, 2017
XV is an incredibly unique and in many ways beutiful game.

Let's be clear here, a lot of the gameplay issues are awful. Truly awful, and mind-bogglingly ill-thought out.

But the good in XV shines in a way few other games have managed. It perfectly captures the essence of these four close friends going on a road trip, the intimacy involved and the whole experience.

It's a proper feeling of adventure, and the world, while not particularly well explained or developed, is incredibly interesting and feels different from anything else.

Yeah, I definitely saw that. However I think for me the issues you mentioned was enough to deter me from finishing it. But it did have some great things about it. Thanks for not yelling at me.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
My most important parts of a game are the story and character development.

I think FFXIV is one of the best entries in the series.
I do think FFXV is the worst one in the main series.

The latest expansion, Stormblood, is my favorite so far. One of the best games of 2017 for me.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
The reason people want another Ivalice FF is because it has a very detailed and intricate lore/history, and really makes other FF worlds seem surface-level in comparison. Of course, SE could make another world with a history as rich as Ivalice's, but it would be a very hard job to surpass it.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
You actually go back to Ivalice in 14. From my understanding, 14 takes place about 1000 years after the events of 12.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Controversial opinion time.

I vastly prefer the modern/sci-fi Final Fantasies to the medieval/mist-punk ones.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Yeah, I definitely saw that. However I think for me the issues you mentioned was enough to deter me from finishing it. But it did have some great things about it. Thanks for not yelling at me.

XV is a lot like XIV, in that it has fixed many of it's issues since launch.

The reason people want another Ivalice FF is because it has a very detailed and intricate lore/history, and really makes other FF worlds seem surface-level in comparison. Of course, SE could make another world with a history as rich as Ivalice's, but it would be a very hard job to surpass it.

I mean...Ivalice had two games that built up the lore and world before XII. Something other mainline games don't get.

If you took XII by itself, the lore and story aren't really all that deep. It is only once you play Vagrant Story and Tactics that you realize the lore is bigger than what XII shows.

You actually go back to Ivalice in 14. From my understanding, 14 takes place about 1000 years after the events of 12.

No. To my understanding that is incorrect.

If that is the case I will lose so much respect for XIV.

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
When I get my account privileges up, I'm going to try my hardest to convince people to give FF14 a chance.

The biggest issue with the game is the stretch of quests between 2.0 and 3.0. Once you get past that nonsense, the game is gravy.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
TankAttack.jpg

WTF, tanks in my Finaru Fantaji??!

Yall gotta go further back lol. Remember this nightmare?

hqdefault.jpg

latest

For a great many reasons really. FFXV has more detailed and unique animations than XIV, quite a few more assets thanks to DLC, higher poly models, more detailed textures, longer CG scenes, and much more that takes up HDD. FFXIV reuses a lot of it's assets and animations, therefore, it can leave a smaller foot print (but I believe XIV on my PS4 almost takes up 90 GB to XV's 95 GB... So...).

Weird, FFXIV is 65.25 GB while XV is 91.85 on mine. I dont have a pro though, so that might be what's different. I dont have the royal edition of FFXV either, just the original plus season pass.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Same. I'm just really hoping XVI goes back to valuing good cinematic direction and having a memorable journey for the main story.
Mainline Final Fantasy games have had so much baggage for more than 10 years. I'm interested to see what they make now that we are out of the Fabula Nova Crystallis/FFXIII expanded universe fart cloud.

Game engines have been built. Their teams are accustomed to creating games on modern hardware. They won't be repurposing half-made games into something shippable because they are overdue and over budget. I want to see what the designers and artists at SE actually want to make. It feels like they have been creatively stifled by outside circumstances for a long time.

OP
OP

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Controversial opinion time.

I vastly prefer the modern/sci-fi Final Fantasies to the medieval/mist-punk ones.
But the modern/sci-fi old Final Fantasy games went totally bananas. FF7 has a planet throwing Sephiroth Angel as the final boss and FF8 had stuff like Doomtrain etc.
Even the summons in FF15, while awesome from a spectacle standpoint, seem safe and "realistic" in comparison.
And I even thought the final boss of FF15 was OK from a spectacle standpoint, but it didn't really "escalate" like old FFs...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the modern/sci-fi old Final Fantasy games went totally bananas. FF7 has a planet throwing Sephiroth Angel as the final boss and FF8 had stuff like Doomtrain etc.
Even the summons in FF15, while awesome from a spectacle standpoint, seem safe and "realistic" in comparison.
And I even thought the final boss of FF15 was OK from a spectacle standpoint, but it didn't really "escalate" like old FFs...

Eh that just never bothered me.

I love FF7, it's my second favorite RPG ever. But I don't need every game to be over the top crazy.

I kinda like XV's weird "real world with monsters and magic" setting.

Now I don't want every FF game to be like that but I don't mind them mixing it up.

Though note I freaking love Persona so I might just be drawn to "urban RPG's."

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
FF14 was/is a masterpiece compared to 15. Boss fights, enemy design and variety, story, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything superior about 15 besides pacing and that's obviously due to game design differences.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV's story really can only exist as an MMO. It benefits so much from possibly lasting forever. Some of the most intriguing stuff in FFXIV happens AFTER the final bosses, after the wars have settled and the victors have been decided and the characters have to figure out where to go from here. FFXIV can only exist in this glorious story-telling state because it gets constant revenue from its subscriptions, expansions and Mog Station purchases. Like shit, can you imagine a single-player game having side-content as involved as the Hildibrand quests?

OP
OP

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Eh that just never bothered me.
I love FF7, it's my second favorite RPG ever. But I don't need every game to be over the top crazy.
I kinda like XV's weird "real world with monsters and magic" setting.
Now I don't want every FF game to be like that but I don't mind them mixing it up.
Though note I freaking love Persona so I might just be drawn to "urban RPG's."
I also like them mixing it up, but FF15 just went too realistic for me. Aside from the gameplay and story issues of course.
I just think they perfectly encapsulated everything about FF in FF14. You even have your modern/sci-fi faction with the Empire.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to let OP know that the wording on his thread title was incredibly confusing. I had to get in to get what he was trying to say.