• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...Ivalice had two games that built up the lore and world before XII. Something other mainline games don't get.

If you took XII by itself, the lore and story aren't really all that deep. It is only once you play Vagrant Story and Tactics that you realize the lore is bigger than what XII shows.

This is factually incorrect. And Vagrant Story doesn't even have any bearing on Ivalice lore (from Matsuno's point of view VS isn't even part of Ivalice).

Besides, FFXV had a movie, an anime series and a few spinoffs to build up its lore and world before the main game's release and yet (no offense to FFXV fans but) I don't see many people clamoring for another FF game set in Eos.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I also like them mixing it up, but FF15 just went too realistic for me. Aside from the gameplay and story issues of course.
I just think they perfectly encapsulated everything about FF in FF14. You even have your modern/sci-fi faction with the Empire.

That's a bit of a stretch... Nothing in XIV is as aesthetically pleasing to me as XV, and even with the empire, it hardly gives the feeling of sci-fi, let alone modern.

Oct 25, 2017
I played since 1.0 until a few months ago. It's a "no" from me. If we are talking crafting system though that is unmatched.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I kinda agree. 14 is a damn good FF game that's also an MMO.

It's a lot more traditional. ARR is a bit too traditional honestly. It's not bad, but it's not great either. It's mostly bloat. Like there is good stuff in there but then there's 50 odd fetch quests to fill the world up. The 2.x patches are were the ARR story get good and it starts getting to be its own game, moving away from 1.0's ties. 3.0 is where FF14 actually gets great and Heavensward is a highlight of its own. 3.x story is good too, in fact I love the 3.4 patch the most. It's not super relevant to Heavensward or Stormblood, but it is its own thing.
I mean 3.4 is probably important overall, it gave a lore dump I think about there being other worlds and such. But the concept alone of the Warriors of Darkness and how it was done is great.
Then SB while it has its issues I'd still say its a good FF story. But I wish the game would stop telling me why Lyse is important and I should care about her and instead show me why I should.
Job stories are good too. The most notable one that comes up a lot is Dark Knight's. The Dark Knight job story is probably one of my favourite questlines in FF14. It's nice to see my favourite job get a good storyline to go with it.

RIP Monk in the Monk expansion. Watching my job get snubbed hard hurts.

There's still a place for FF going more modern, but there's clearly a place for traditional style FF. 14 is good and will be going for quite some time still but it would be nice to see more classic.

Almaz_Hiro

Jan 20, 2018
I agree the story in FFXIV in the later stages of ARR is really good and it just keeps getting better from there. Cant comment on FFXV since never played it but although people joke about the whole road trip thing, the way the game was advertised/promoted as, that didn't sell itself to me so I don't really have any intention on playing it.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Highly disagree. Heavensward and onward is what pushed the game (and its narrative) to top 5 FF entry for me.

If we are not accounting for ARR, sure. Taken on the whole, though?

This is factually incorrect. And Vagrant Story doesn't even have any bearing on Ivalice lore (from Matsuno's point of view VS isn't even part of Ivalice).

Besides, FFXV had a movie, an anime series and a few spinoffs to build up its lore and world before the main game's release and yet (no offense to FFXV fans but) I don't see many people clamoring for another FF game set in Eos.

I actually see a lot of people clamoring for a Regis prequel. (which would be super dope)

I'd hardly call about four hours of side-story comparable to two 30 hour+ games to build lore. In my personal opinion, XII is great, but its lore is really not deeper than most other FF games unless you're accounting for Tactics expansion and base understanding of that world. What XII brings to lore is no more than what Vi, VII, VIII, X, and XV bring to their respective lores.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread makes me want to replay VIII. Why did they skip it on PS4?

2ZZbfYU.png

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
And I have to eat it up and shut up, good idea. Maybe you should just not post in these topics or put people with different opinions on ignore?
No, thanks.
One of the "biggest" Side Quest was this guy in FF15:
vyv-in-ffxv.png

Yes, other Final Fantasys also had anime/fantasy stuff and "realistic" stuff mixed, but FF15 went all in on the realistic stuff that the fantasy stuff often seemed like an afterthought.
Here you travel with your car, but also here is a Chocobo, because otherwise you wouldn't even fucking know this is a FF game.
Of course it had Tonberry and other iconic monsters, but they did nothing for me because they didn't even really fit the setting. Behemoth was also wasted as a set piece.
I could go on and on what I (as in ME) didn't like. And I still wish FF15 went a different direction.
What's wrong with these side-quests? I would take them over XIV's shitty moogle side-quests any day of the week.

How did you use to travel in FFVII and FFVIII?

No, Behemoth was not just a set piece...

You wanted XV to take a different direction? That's completely fine, but that's not what your OP is saying. You implied that you wanted XIV to literally be XV.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
I hate MMOs and gave a FF14 a decent shot but it still felt like an MMO full of fetch quests and I gave up 15 hrs in.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Yes, with two expansions, several patches that introduced new plotlines, characters and nice side stories introduced since 2.0, ARR is just like 1/3 of the whole thing.

Hardly.

It takes at least 200 hours to get through ARR. Heavensward can be done in 80. Stormblood... *checks howlongtobeat* ...at least 50 hours. So ARR is much longer and has the biggest level climb. I'd say 2.0 - 2.3 (the slog) is easily 45% of the entire package.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
14's is like right there with 8's as best in the series

Please don't kill me...I find it really middling. It doesn't help that there have been people (and bands) that accuse Soken of copying songs heavily.

Some songs are fantastic (and quite a few of those are actually done by Suzuki), but I find the lows pretty low. It balances out but nowhere near my favorites personally of IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, and XV.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually though the story in 2.0 was fine. Better than a number of other mainline FF games at the very least. Where I will agree is that it takes awhile to both really get going and to get through due to needing to pad content. I loved Heavensward and Storm Blood.

Oct 31, 2017
Mainline Final Fantasy games have had so much baggage for more than 10 years. I'm interested to see what they make now that we are out of the Fabula Nova Crystallis/FFXIII expanded universe fart cloud.

Game engines have been built. Their teams are accustomed to creating games on modern hardware. They won't be repurposing half-made games into something shippable because they are overdue and over budget. I want to see what the designers and artists at SE actually want to make. It feels like they have been creatively stifled by outside circumstances for a long time.

I'm more nervous about XVI than excited tbh. Because I'm still shocked at how disastrously XV was handled. SE will find some way to completely screw up a game's potential

THAT SAID, as long as they don't make any more engines I think we'll be in the clear.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardly.

It takes at least 200 hours to get through ARR. Heavensward can be done in 80. Stormblood... *checks howlongtobeat* ...at least 50 hours. So ARR is much longer and has the biggest level climb. I'd say 2.0 - 2.3 (the slog) is easily 45% of the entire package.

200 to get through 2.0 (not 2.1 up to 3.0)? Nooooot really, more like 100-120 or so. Also take into account that 2.2 onwards the game really starts building something interesting. 2.0 content is really spaced out, but the rest of the patches leading up to 3.0 is quite cool.

Same with 3.1 up to 4.0. I guess when people say HS is 80 hours, they just count up to 3.1 instead of the whole array of content that leads to 4.0.

Basically the weakest part of the game (not really weak, but less polished) is basically 2.0 up to 2.2 or so. Then we have 2.2 - 3.0 which is really awesome, then we have 3.0 up to 4.0 which is great and then 4.0 itself which was quite awesome and now we reach 4.3

What I want to say, is that overall 2.0 is not really the 45% of the package, specially in terms of story and content. From 2.2 to 4.0 the game expands greatly all what was created in 2.0, in terms of lore, world building, characterization and plotlines to a point that 2.0 feels largely like a small part of the whole thing.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more nervous about XVI than excited tbh. Because I'm still shocked at how disastrously XV was handled. SE will find some way to completely screw up a game's potential

THAT SAID, as long as they don't make any more engines I think we'll be in the clear.

Well as long a we don't have another director hand over and redo's in the span of 10 years, I think we'll be okay. But in the mean time, we wait on FF7R.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to shit on XV, I like it, but I'm wondering if the people who love it have a problem with the game's combat. The combat is fun, but near the end of the game and during some of its optional content enemies would do so much damage that I would have to constantly pop potions after every little hit which severely slowed the combat down. It was annoying. Some enemies had so much health that the only way to do any real damage was to craft overpowered spells and spam them. I don't know if I was underleveled or something but it sucked. It made battles not fun.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
FFXV is a good game for many of us. Stop putting it down just because you like something else.

I'm fucking sick of the debate of what we consider FF, on people complain about the new ones and the online ones, it doesn't fucking matter, shut the fuck up.

I prefer the current universe were we got both 14 and 15 as they currently are. Also, lets not forget 14 launched way worse then 15.

What these guys said. You don't need to shit on a game to say you like another one.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
As someone whose played FFXIV all the way through from 1.0 till current. The story is at best a mediocre shounen manga plot where they are too afraid to actually rock the boat. Almost all the characters in the storyline that die come back again and the story has no weight.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
No. To my understanding that is incorrect.

If that is the case I will lose so much respect for XIV.
You are correct. The Ivalice in XIV is not the Ivalice in XII or Tactics.

FF XII takes place in the distant past relative to Tactics. The ancient civilization with airships and machines that is talked about in Tactics is the world that is seen in XII.

In XIV, the events of the Zodiac Brave Story (i.e. Tactics) took place in the distant past relative to modern day Dalmasca and Rabanastre (i.e. XII). So the timeline is backwards in XIV compared to what it canonically was in the earlier Ivalice games.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Maybe it get's better with Expansions, haven't played them, but the base FF14 was imho nothing special. and mostly even really boring, never understood why so many are praising it that high. Imho the strongest aspect of FF14 was for me the bosses and to learn everything about them, so you could survive and defeat them. I personally enjoyed the world from FFXI much more.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
XIV is a top 5 Final Fantasy for me, but I really don't think this would be a good idea. XIV is great not only for its main scenario storyline, but also because of the stuff that makes an MMO what it is. You can't just remove the social and endgame aspect of the game and expect it to retain its soul and identity. It's a great game and you can go play it right now, no need for some huge overhaul to how the entire game looks and works.

Now, I wouldn't say no to an offline FF set in Eorzea, but it would need to be a new storyline and made from the ground up as a single-player game.
And no one except BD5 staff would be allowed anywhere near it.

XV may not be to your liking, but it's over and done with. You can move on.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
200 to get through 2.0 (not 2.1 up to 3.0)? Nooooot really, more like 100-120 or so. Also take into account that 2.2 onwards the game really starts building something interesting. 2.0 content is really spaced out, but the rest of the patches leading up to 3.0 is quite cool.

Same with 3.1 up to 4.0. I guess when people say HS is 80 hours, they just count up to 3.1 instead of the whole array of content that leads to 4.0.

Basically the weakest part of the game (not really weak, but less polished) is basically 2.0 up to 2.2 or so. Then we have 2.2 - 3.0 which is really awesome, then we have 3.0 up to 4.0 which is great and then 4.0 itself which was quite awesome and now we reach 4.3

What I want to say, is that overall 2.0 is not really the 45% of the package, specially in terms of story and content. From 2.2 to 4.0 the game expands greatly all what was created in 2.0, in terms of lore, world building, characterization and plotlines to a point that 2.0 feels largely like a small part of the whole thing.

Yes. ARR is just that long. Leveling 1-50 is not some small task. It takes a long time. For me it didn't get interesting until Dreams of Ice (2.4) and diminished after 3.3.

ARR is a very large chuck of time in just main questing compared to the expansions. I think a lot of people forget because we are several years removed from the launch.

I'm not trying to shit on XV, I like it, but I'm wondering if the people who love it have a problem with the game's combat. The combat is fun, but near the end of the game and during some of its optional content enemies would do so much damage that I would have to constantly pop potions after every little hit which severely slowed the combat down. It was annoying. Some enemies had so much health that the only way to do any real damage was to craft overpowered spells and spam them. I don't know if I was underleveled or something but it sucked. It made battles not fun.

Later on the game when enemies land larger hits, it's more about being defensive than being offensive and knowing when to attack during open windows. Most people don't usually switch up their weapons often enough, which is a shame considering it changes your gameplay style and stats by a lot.

Plus, with Armiger Unleashed and Character Switching, the game is open to many more stratagems to fell larger enemies.

If you're using items too often you're doing something wrong. It's the games subtle way of informing you that what you have equipped or your strategy is not working out...unless your strategy is to just drink potions the whole time.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV is by design supposed to be an FF fan's ultimate wet dream. and it can get away with that because successful sub based MMORPGs make enough bank to cover the overhead.

they just don't have that luxury with a $150+ million AAA single player Final Fantasy. not without it being a huge risk

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Yes. ARR is just that long. Leveling 1-50 is not some small task. It takes a long time. For me it didn't get interesting until Dreams of Ice (2.4) and diminished after 3.3.

ARR is a very large chuck of time in just main questing compared to the expansions. I think a lot of people forget because we are several years removed from the launch.
Leveling 1-50, even 1-60, is insanely easy these days and takes very little time. With moderate playtime, you should have no problem hitting level cap in the 30 days you get for free when you buy the game.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I think XIV's setting has only just started to carve out its own identity.

It's easy to forget that in 1.0 Eorzea was essentially a less interesting version of Vana'diel. Only with Stormblood do I feel that the team has been able to really start creating something in their own right, rather than being shackled to story threads from launch.

I enjoy XIV, but Vana'diel and Ivalice are still far superior settings for a single player game.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

I think (I hope) a lot of the ethos and design philosophy that caused a lot of the long delays and troubled development has been quarantined into the FFVII remake. Not just blaming Nomura, because games are made by big teams that a re subject to higher-ups in the company, but I think collectively the company learned a lot from how the past 10 years went. The way Tabata handled getting XV into shape and shipped has given me some optimism for what the company could do with a clean slate game.

It's also already been a year and a half since FFXV was released. I think the time has come for a new era in the series, and I hope they've learned enough to deliver on it before another console generation has come and gone.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV has one of the most boring and painfully uninteresting stories of any game I've ever played. If it was single player, I would definitely not make it far past the first dozen or so Waking Sands trips. How anyone can tolerate the disdain the game has for a player's time is beyond me. Everything feels like it was designed to waste as much of your time as possible boring you to death.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
FFXIV has one of the most boring and painfully uninteresting stories of any game I've ever played. If it was single player, I would definitely not make it far past the first dozen or so Waking Sands trips. How anyone can tolerate the disdain the game has for a player's time is beyond me. Everything feels like it was designed to waste as much of your time as possible boring you to death.

Like every mediocre anime story you need to watch 100 episodes (or play for fifty hours) before it "gets good".

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it get's better with Expansions, haven't played them, but the base FF14 was imho nothing special. and mostly even really boring, never understood why so many are praising it that high. Imho the strongest aspect of FF14 was for me the bosses and to learn everything about them, so you could survive and defeat them. I personally enjoyed the world from FFXI much more.
It's not a maybe. It 1000% gets better with the expacs. They are focused and offer some really nice character and world building.

But yeah, without a doubt the game shighlights have always been the encounter design. Each expansions ends with a fantastic boss fights, and primals encounters are top class.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about MMO's, so i don't have any emotion towards XIV either way, i'm happy its successful and people enjoy it. I wish more of the fanbase took this approach. XIV, XV, Brave Exvius, regardless of what you think of these games, they're popular and keep the lights on at Square Enix (and when i say keep the lights on, i mean make them rich).

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I haven't played FF14, but I've heard very good things about it. I wish FF16 is epic, but they need to not announce it until they are very sure which direction they are going and it is almost done.