• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
You realize that Matsuno is literally writing part of XIV right now, yeah?

Pretty cool with regards to the story focus of this thread

The vast majority of my grievances are with gameplay in both games

Regarding story... When I played 14 I mostly skipped the majority of the story. Im typically played with friends and it was text heavy as hell. Maybe its great. Hell people still tout FF11 as one of the best narratives in the series and I would never know because MMO's are a cluster fuck of distractions and time sinks

Even if it was built as a single player JRPG It would likely needs some adjustments to make the presentation and delivery of its story elements a tad more polished and streamlined

Forgiven Empathy

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
1.0-2.0 are rather decent, but nothing amazing. 2.1-2.3 just isn't very good or engaging, but onwards up until 4.0 it is very well done. Can't say 4.1-4.2 were very good for the most part, kind of boring.

The warning triad in Heavensward was super good though for side content.

But FFXIV and FFXV go for very different things story wise, and both have value.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At this point, FFXIV has:

- My favorite FF story, setting, lore and conflicts

- THE biggest compilation of great FF songs. XIV's OST is easily the best OST in Final Fantasy at this point, there is no shortage of amazing songs across the 3 expansions.

- The longest amount of hours i've put into a Final Fantasy game

It basically is Final Fantasy XVI to me.

I treat every XIV expansion basically as me getting to enjoy a new Final Fantasy game.

If you play it as an MMO is okay, but if you approach the game like a single player RPG, then it's always felt like a regular FF game.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He may or may not, but the nature of MMO limits the story capability of Matsuno and it comes with all the trappings (aka crap like grinding) that mmo have.

There's no grinding associated with XIV's endgame content, which is what Matsuno is currently part of

granted it's nothing super special mind you, it's a side story

but the side story DOES take part in the actual setting of XIV and so is canon.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it was built as a single player JRPG It would likely needs some adjustments to make the presentation and delivery of its story elements a tad more polished and streamlined
The presentation and delivery of the main stories in FFXIV is fine to me, with real cutscenes with camera angles, motion capture, text or voice. Unless you are saying they should do it all voiced, I'm not sure what you expect.

Oct 25, 2017
Been a long time since I posted this one, lol:

ggSODDh.jpg

It actually has been that way twice as long as it hasn't (FFVII is ~21 years old, the whole series 31) :P
But does it SCREAM final fantasy?!????!!!?

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
He may or may not, but the nature of MMO limits the story capability of Matsuno and it comes with all the trappings (aka crap like grinding) that mmo have.

You'd think so, but FF14 has proven to me that a great story can be told pretty well within a MMO. There's not much padding either or wasted time within 3.0 and 4.0. When the story is building up toward something, it does go quick and I think it's due to the game forsaking a fetch quest for a solo instanced boss fight, a dungeon, or a 8 man trial. Those alternatives are far more interesting. Also, there are quests where you simply watch well done cutscenes, which I'm cool with.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
At this point, FFXIV has:

- My favorite FF story, setting, lore and conflicts

- THE biggest compilation of great FF songs. XIV's OST is easily the best OST in Final Fantasy at this point, there is no shortage of amazing songs across the 3 expansions.

- The longest amount of hours i've put into a Final Fantasy game
- Sleep inducing MMO gameplay where you can watch a TV show on your 2nd monitor and still be playing the game perfectly because nearly every job's rotation is basic as fuck

I don't like XV combat but my god is it better than sitting there dodging red circles while mashing 1-5 like a mindless fuck.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
There's no grinding associated with XIV's endgame content, which is what Matsuno is currently part of
Technically there is grinding associated with it. Me and my friends are currently grinding for the minimum gear level required to take part in a raid. It's not super crazy bad grinding like other games have done, and we enjoy doing it (the game has some great dungeons and boss fights) but it is grinding, replaying dungeons hoping for good gear drops and earning the special currency to buy the gear that doesn't drop.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Can't FF14 as a single player entry just be FF14? Does anything need to be replaced?
You can go through the majority of the story single player, but dungeons and boss fights are tuned for parties, a single player couldn't do them unless overpowered quite a bit. But also, as an MMO FFXIV has a number of "filler" quests that wouldn't fly in a single player RPG, especially in Realm Reborn (the base game before Heavensward). They've done less and less of those overtime, but it's still not as tight as a dedicated single player RPG would be.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You'd think so, but FF14 has proven to me that a great story can be told pretty well within a MMO. There's not much padding either or wasted time within 3.0 and 4.0. When the story is building up toward something, it does go quick and I think it's due to the game forsaking a fetch quest for a solo instanced boss fight, a dungeon, or a 8 man trial. Those alternatives are far more interesting. Also, there are quests where you simply watch well done cutscenes, which I'm cool with.

Actually, FFXIV has shown to me that the MMO format is potentially the best platform for telling a good story. There's an amount of expansiveness in XIV that you will never find in a regular mainline FF title.

FFXIV has to deal with padding sometimes through the meat of the main content...but what you get between that is a world FULL of NPCs, settings, situations, ect that provide you with lore and characterization. It's something that simply cannot be feasibly matched in a regular RPG experience.

Every class, job, gathering and crafting class has its own storyline, which builds upon the lore in its own way. These characters exist within the world and even end up in the MSQ on multiple occasions. Every location has a purpose, backstory, and history, many of which (most of which) are explored through some questline. Some of which are covered when they're shown, some covered in different updates or future expansions. And even if you're in the middle of a questline and the developers haven't finished it yet, there's still a literal world of content for you to bother yourself with if you feel the need to.

What usually happens when Square Enix tries to mimic this level of lore depth? You get situations like FFXIII's datalogs or FFXV's need for supplemental material to explain things to you.

Not because it's impossible to cram into a single game, it's possible. It's just that it's incredibly difficult, and the more complex everything is the more you have to sacrifice in a single development period (and a measly 40 hour game time) to realize to its fullest potential. The truth is that most of Final Fantasy's storylines up until the recent days just haven't been as fleshed out as the ones releasing today.

For a game like Final Fantasy XV to have released as a single title containing all the information covered in Brotherhood, Kingsglaive, Kings Tale and the demos, the game's plot would have had to have been expanded so far that it likely would have resembled a completely different game.

FFXIV's relatively boring fetch quests is what actually allows it to have such a expansive lore the way that it does. Even if every single cutscene was voiced and motion captured, it simply wouldn't work in a regular RPG. There's too much info.

Last edited:

Afrocious

Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll couldn't tell me I'd like Alphinaud until after 2.0.

Also 14 has some villains you can't help but hate.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda off-topic but does anyone knows how the FFXIV's Zodiark fits with the new Return to Ivalice stuff? If I'm not mistaken FFXIV had its own versions of the Lucavi way before Matsuno got hired to do the Return to Ivalice stuff, so how I'm curious how it all fits now?

Oct 31, 2017
I actually hate the high fantasy world. I find it extremely derivative and boring.

Give me something with style. Even more modern, like in the Versus trailers, would be far more interesting imo.

Or Ivalice with the judges and whatnot. Literally anything but the high fantasy wizards and elves.

I agree, XIV's world looks pretty uninteresting. The insane amount of fan service doesn't help either

Meh I don't think Ivalice is very interesting either

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda off-topic but does anyone knows how the FFXIV's Zodiark fits with the new Return to Ivalice stuff? If I'm not mistaken FFXIV had its own versions of the Lucavi way before Matsuno got hired to do the Return to Ivalice stuff, so how I'm curious how it all fits now?

Zodiark isn't mentioned in the Ivaliceverse version of FF14. They did show Duma which was a lucavi we've never seen before. Argath transformed into him.

There isn't much overlap anyway outside of recurring names. We already had Chuchulain as a boss but he was a voidsent, they could probably do another interpretation of it as a Lucavi if they wanted too without any retcon involved.

Oct 26, 2017
One thing they could do to reduce boredom for the initial campaign + patches is to automatically teleport you to certain places. Like every time they tell you meet someone at the Waking Sands or a city to just teleport you there instead of making you waste time doing it repeatedly.

They already teleport you sometimes when someone says to meet them at a certain place so I'm not sure why this isn't used more.

A single dialogue prompt of "Would you like to go to X?" would be enough for those who don't want to go right away.