• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I read in this interview. Not sure if it was discussed

It surely is a long road until we get to see the end of the Final Fantasy VII Remake project, and Kitase told me that he and the team likely won't even take a break once the first part is released--"I think we'll probably get straight into it." But personally, he isn't worried about the possibility of having to work on Remake for the rest of his career: "I think it is a very important thing."

"Final Fantasy VII is a game which, if it just stayed as the original, would just be remembered as something from the past and people wouldn't be as engaged with it. I think in order to be something that continues to be loved and followed by future generations we have to keep updating it as we're doing now. And in 10 years time, 20 years time, it may need to be done again! So even if this is the only thing that I do in the rest of my career, I won't be disappointed."

SOURCE:https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-developer-want-the-saga-to-/1100-6474177/

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Slow your roll guy! The graphical differences between 1997 and now are a world apart compared to now and 10 years from now.

Oct 27, 2017
SE to Kitase:
1160625.jpg

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
In 10 years: Ok picture this ... the Bombing Run ... in 4K

In 20 years: Ok picture this ... the Bombing Run ... in 8k

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
At that point I'd rather see VII adapted in a different medium. Like a high budget show or something

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is like going out with someone on a second date, and you thought they were weird on the first one but pretty chill... but then they start telling you how they imagine their life with you is going to be. They've already told you what type of job you'll have, how many kids (4, two boys and two girls) you'll have together, and you're side eyeing the emergency exit.

In short, red flags everywhere.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol

He makes it sound like they got themselves into a hole they can't escape from.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
It would kind of funny how after finally finishing the whole thing he then begins to work on the remake of the remake

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
As he is a former filmmaker I'm actually pretty disappointed in his stance on things constantly needing to be remade.

This project- sure - I understand the need and even desire. But "if it just stayed as the original, would just be remembered as something from the past and people wouldn't be as engaged with it. I think in order to be something that continues to be loved and followed by future generations we have to keep updating it" doesn't sit right with me and I don't agree with that stance.

I know games are different from films (older games have the tendency to age much worse than classic films - not to mention the ever-evolving console systems and classic game preservation becoming more of a problem), but considering his creative output in the '90s I'm kind of bummed out he doesn't prop up original and new ideas above remaking existing work. He helped get the ball rolling regarding 'cinematic' direction in video games all the way back in 1994 with FFVI and absolutely blasted it forward with FFVII and VIII. I wish he'd have the same drive to craft new stories and experiences... but different people have different priorities, I guess.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
By then you will be Cloud in fully immersive VR simulation.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Who is going to do the Xenogears remake consisting of only the hero's village section ?

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
But "if it just stayed as the original, would just be remembered as something from the past and people wouldn't be as engaged with it. I think in order to be something that continues to be loved and followed by future generations we have to keep updating it" doesn't sit right with me and I don't agree with that stance.
I don't think that's his stance on remakes as a concept in general. That quote is talking strictly about FF7. He's saying they didn't want to do a remake that hewed too closely to the original and wanted to make something that adapts it, but does stuff very differently from the original game.

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
I don't think what he's saying is necessarily negative. I applaud the ambition to always want to improve, and the dedication to the story.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I don't think that's his stance on remakes as a concept in general. That quote is talking strictly about FF7. He's saying they didn't want to do a remake that hewed too closely to the original and wanted to make something that adapts it, but does stuff very differently from the original game.

In that case, I would see more closely to where he's coming from.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I remember the insane shit Kitase used to say in FFXIII interviews.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Now and 20 will be nuts though.
True, but I think the point still stands that the Remake is such a massive uptick in fidelity/quality that it should stand as the definitive version and won't need ANOTHER attempt at a remake even 20 years from now. Unless some kind of AI magic happens where development costs and time go down like 90%.