• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The second FF7R Ultimania is out in Japan. Back when the first one was released last year, we got lots of important details on several aspects of the game and the future that awaits! This one focuses on the Intergrade DLC, but also has new interviews with the directors. As usual, the amazing Audrey is already translating stuff at a quick pace! Keep your eyes peeled for more!

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished this on PS5 and it suprised me a lot - quickly becoming one of my favorite games of the last several years. Right up there with BB, BotW, God of War, and Sonic Mania as one of the few games of last gen to get real close to being a 10/10 for me.

I'm now eager to consume all of the content like this. Will be ordering!

OP
OP
Altezein

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I just finished this on PS5 and it suprised me a lot - quickly becoming one of my favorite games of the last several years. Right up there with BB, BotW, God of War, and Sonic Mania as one of the few games of last gen to get real close to being a 10/10 for me.

That's some high praise!!! In case you're interested, the English version of the first FF7R Ultimania will be launching on December 7
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Ultimania/dp/1646091213

OP
OP
Altezein

Altezein

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
This post makes me think again of something I suspected when playing the making game... Visual works directs their own scenes. This explains some discrepancies between what In-game Cloud can do (somewhat reality-grounded), and what CGI Cloud can (slash through whole trains and structures with his sword like they're nothing).

Oct 31, 2017
This post makes me think again of something I suspected when playing the making game... Visual works directs their own scenes. This explains some discrepancies between what In-game Cloud can do (somewhat reality-grounded), and what CGI Cloud can (slash through whole trains and structures with his sword like they're nothing).

What? That's so odd lol

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It's what I suspected, but I hope that comment hints at Jessie and Biggs being alive in another world, be it Zack's or not. Now here's hoping these alternative timeline shenanigans don't pollute the game (and the main timeline) too much...

In any case:

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Goddamn that's some good taste you've got there.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Maximillian dood had a decent theory regarding Jessie, still sounds like that's going to happen

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
'7 seconds til the end' sounds like a mystery box, really vague, and he can bring it back later if he gets stuck, then decides what it means in a story moment.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Urgh... What's the point of all of this. If loss is an important part of the story, then what's the point of shoehorning in another timeline where everyone lives happily ever after?
Well I knew people would ask that question and honestly it's logical that you do but I can give you an easy example of why it could still be about "Loss".
Let's say that Jessie in that timeline is alive but Cloud isn't then what's the point of living if the ones you love are not there?
Same thing about Zack, we were heavily hinted that in Zack's timeline Aerith is gone.
Actually there is a n HBO series called "the Leftovers" which also has similar themes like that.
Of course I'm saying they are of similar quality, don't get me wrong, but after reading Toriyama's comment I can see some similarities between the 2

Oct 30, 2017

Maybe.. MAYBE, if one of the Avalanche members survived that MIGHT be acceptable, for example Wedge ( and then we saw the whispers of fate took care of that at the shiner building ).

But to see also Biggs at the end, like seriously after the touching scene of him dying at the Pillar which collapsed after few minutes and he somehow survived.... was a bit ridiculous.

And if Jessie survived as well.... I will roll my eyes so hard it might get stuck in the back of my head.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's the LOST ending

But in any event they have straight confirmed that there's multiple timelines or universes or whatever in that comment, which should put a stop to the arguments over Zack being alive in the same universe as Cloud in the last game

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Audrey is so cool!! I love her translations.

All I need is to see Jessie again in the next part, whether it's a different timeline, or not.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I didn't like is that when the plate fell, you could still walk around in the slums.

Like wut?

Literally nothing should be left. But they are rebuilding tifas bar. Shit should be flat as a pancake.

And Biggs made it out alive even though cloud barret and tifa just barely made it out on a Zipline and Biggs was severly injured.

Ummm.....ok.....

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
But to see also Biggs at the end, like seriously after the touching scene of him dying at the Pillar which collapsed after few minutes and he somehow survived.... was a bit ridiculous.
I never felt like he "died" in that scene. He even tells you he has enough energy for more but ends up passing out after talking to Cloud.

The chapter-select even goes as far as to point out that Jessie died, but Biggs was just injured.

EDIT - I just realized that depending on what you chose during that scene, you may not have heard him say he will be okay. Here:

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017

I loved those scenes.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I think it should be a different world after that ending. There are many ways to potray a theme about loss. On the other hand, giving the player false hope, like defeating Fate, showing Zack alive, and still killing Aerith anyway to make a point, that would be more about sadism than 'loss'.
Isn't he suggesting that biggs, jesse and zack are alive in a different timeline… so confused.

anyways.. more confusion:

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't he suggesting that biggs, jesse and zack are alive in a different timeline… so confused.

anyways.. more confusion:

The 'you can't fall in love with me no matter what' could be hinting that Cloud will have to decide Aerith's fate.

Damnit, don't make the player kill her please :(

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Cloud has Jenova Cells in him which allows Sephiroth to do that.
Aerith's projection is a bit different as she isn't in Cloud's mind, but using her special ancient people magic.
Oh I know. Was just teasing Lifejumper

I thought she did it in the original where Cloud is sleeping in Gongaga and he has a vision of her in the Sleeping Forest.
Yes, in the original and Advent Children we see this ability.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never felt like he "died" in that scene.
Let's be real: they were playing it up to him dying. But upon hindsight, they might have been clever in taking advantage of not depicting detailed wounds so really you only have the character's eye sight to determine how severe of a status a character was in, hence why Cloud talked differently between Biggs and Jessie.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Seems pretty clear the Biggs/Jessie lived scenario is an alternate world. Zack arriving at the Sector 5 church with all of the displaced refugees makes me think it's the same world that Zack lived in.

Now the real question... did the whispers kill Wedge in the main timeline? They left that kind of ambiguous

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Let's be real: they were playing it up to him dying. But upon hindsight, they might have been clever in taking advantage of not depicting detailed wounds so really you only have the character's eye sight to determine how severe of a status a character was in, hence why Cloud talked differently between Biggs and Jessie.
Oh, its definitely hammed up to get the feels going. However, the Jesse scene was far more deliberate in how she talked about it being her last moments, etc. - meanwhile, I asked Biggs "what about you?" and his response made it seem like he wasn't fatally wounded.

The whole game is layered like this to add mystery and give people different experiences, which I love.

Like if you do well during the first bike sequence...
Jesse actually kisses Cloud on the cheek, which is fun to see. The more common outcomes is her simply telling him he "barely" passed the test, or failed the driving test :P

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm thinking Jessie and Biggs lived in the alternate world, as did Zack, but Aerith may have already died -- hence why the people in the church were crying, as though mourning. I don't think they were merely refugees mourning their lost homes -- they seemed to be at that specific location (the church) and mourning something that causes Zack to react ("Aerith?"). So something was gained in that other world -- Avalanche members lived -- but something was also lost -- Aerith, already dead. Whether the two worlds will cross over in some fashion remains to be seen.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Seems pretty clear the Biggs/Jessie lived scenario is an alternate world. Zack arriving at the Sector 5 church with all of the displaced refugees makes me think it's the same world that Zack lived in.

Now the real question... did the whispers kill Wedge in the main timeline? They left that kind of ambiguous
I feel like they did simply because his last line in Shinra Tower is the exact same as his final line before he dies in the OG. I believe the implication is that he's straight up dead but in this 'other world' where Biggs is alive, he could still be there. Depends on whatever tf they plan on doing I guess