• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Just 2 Baby Ruth's for a Tifa theme? I don't know what the rest is but 2 candy bars seems fairly non offensive.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Ffxiv had one where you bought Mrs Freshleys honey buns. I still have some honey buns in my inventory in the game.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Also remember not too long ago there was DLC for Dissidia in Cup Noodles
3334499-3111969890-DSuyl.jpg

Ffxiv had one where you bought Mrs Freshleys honey buns. I still have some honey buns in my inventory in the game.

Also, while these promotions did not grant in game items... still, lol. I find SE's marketing department decisions rather odd.

00f10efa9f916aab2e1bc9f7f1d2d2f103c99519.png

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
OP had me thinking there was actually a butterfinger blade

giphy.gif

That's nothing compared to every store in FFXV taking accepting American Express

l_578e0bcd9c765.jpg
Product placement in video games is fun and we should encourage it, maybe it could help to reduce costs in the always increasing video game development costs.

Remember 007: Skyfall and the 250mln budget? 40 seconds of Heineken beer paid for 40mln of those 250mln

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
How could they picked the best candy bar in America?

61%2BM0wWbOeL._SX425_.jpg

That being said I wonder if there will be a candy bar quest now.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Butterfinger is the worst. Haven't had one in probably 30 years when I knew, even as a kid, that Reese's was the only peanut butter candy that mattered.

Crunch isn't bad though.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Remindso f that aboslutely hilarious FF14 KFC-Promotion from last year.
The social media Reactions were a Goldmine.

smgyv1i9tca31.png

fd4r9r7qqba31.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
This is so fucking dumb.

The fact that they still need to do product placement for food in the year 2020 is showing how much out of touch SE executives are.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're acting like product placement isn't still a thing.

How are they out of touch exactly?

Product placement is a thing and sometimes can be cute when done well.

This is on a completely different level by having customers buy products outside of the game for in-game items. It's pretty shameless and Square is truly setting a new bar for milking this franchise.

I'm not really sure how people can defend this yet here we are.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Product placement is a thing and sometimes can be cute when done well.

This is on a completely different level by having customers buy products outside of the game for in-game items. It's pretty shameless and Square is truly setting a new bar for milking this franchise.

I'm not really sure how people can defend this yet here we are.
Isn't this like their third time doing this?

14 had a thing with honey buns and Dissidia NT had a thing with instant ramen. There also not even the first developer to do stuff like this. I don't see what the need for the outrage is yet here we are.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

14 had a thing with honey buns and Dissidia NT had a thing with instant ramen. There also not even the first developer to do stuff like this. I don't see what the need for the outrage is yet here we are.

So because Square has done similar things in the past that excuses them to continue this practice of food tiers for DLC?

If they didn't get shit for it before they should get shit for it now. I am not a fan of sketchy DLC practices and stuff like this takes the cake.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Lol fuck this. And Square gets to fuck FFVII up multiple times over the next lord knows how many years since they've chopped it up into multiple games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol fuck this. And Square gets to fuck FFVII up multiple times over the next lord knows how many years since they've chopped it up into multiple games.
Mind telling me what it looks like they fucked up? Looks freaking amazing to me and most impressions have been positive from what I've seen.

eternalblue

Oct 27, 2017
In for the Tifa theme at least. So glad that this includes Crunch bars and not just Butterfingers. I'll admit I'm a bit curious to hear that Butterfingers changed their recipe. I've found Butterfingers to be pretty horrible, but maybe I'd find them more tolerable now? Sounds like this explains why a while back I had a coworker who had a sudden random craving for a Butterfinger which she hadn't had in years, and after getting one on her break, complained about how bad it tasted.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Mind telling me what it looks like they fucked up? Looks freaking amazing to me and most impressions have been positive from what I've seen.

This DLC, the preorder DLC, tying DLC to special editions, and chopping the game up into pieces. The actual gameplay shown looks good, but I won't touch it until the PC release when we'll get everything regardless of Square's shitty practices and either the entire game when it's available or the first episode when it's dirt cheap.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This DLC, the preorder DLC, tying DLC to special editions, and chopping the game up into pieces. The actual gameplay shown looks good, but I won't touch it until the PC release when we'll get everything regardless of Square's shitty practices and either the entire game when it's available or the first episode when it's dirt cheap.
Kay, your loss.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019

I don't think a publisher should get a free pass for doing something shitty just because they've done other related lame shit in its recent past. In this instance, they're locking out stat-boosting and combat-boosting equipment behind real-life purchases of candy bars. It's weak enough that modern S-E is all about that sweet, sweet product placement, but taking an all-time classic and gating summon Materia and equipment behind preorders and chocolate fucking sucks and deserves a call-out.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you buy 10 candybars to get something when the item costs $1.99 to buy outright? Such a weird promotion.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Better than that FFXIV KFC DLC deal at least.

I want that theme. I hope it's available outside of the US.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
So Square Enix are teaming up with Shinra Nestle, the company that keeps trying to ambush small countries and privatize their Lifestream water supplies? I wasn't going to get the game anyway, I've no real affection for any FF other than XIV, but still fuck 'em so incredibly much.

Ketaya

Oct 25, 2017
Berlin
People really must be angry at anything, huh? This is completely harmless marketing stuff. Don't want to buy candybars? Then don't. Who the fuck cares about some shitty ingame items than will be completely useless after the first 30min of gameplay anyway?

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
People really must be angry at anything, huh? This is completely harmless marketing stuff. Don't want to buy candybars? Then don't. Who the fuck cares about some shitty ingame items than will be completely useless after the first 30min of gameplay anyway?
You say this as if corporations haven't carefully raised a whole generation whose greatest fear is 'missing out'.

OP
OP
Arkeband

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

You know this for a fact? I didn't realize you played FF7R already, how was it?

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the price that must be paid then I'll pay it gladly. I was going to buy the candy anyway