• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Are you talking about the VA or the actual dialogue? Cause the latter has to be some of the most inoffensive stuff I've seen come from a JRPG in a while. No clunky phrasing or strange terminology or sloppy exposition. It's fairly basic, but comes off as more or less natural to me. This is going by tiny snippets of dialogue though, hard to really say one way or the other right now.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
Doesn't matter if you have the most perfect voice in the world if you are that guy that keeps on whining and yelling. No one is going to like you, so Barret is fucked from the get go.

I thing the VA got better from previous trailers in general.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Are you talking about the VA or the actual dialogue? Cause the latter has to be some of the most inoffensive stuff I've seen come from a JRPG in a while. No clunky phrasing or strange terminology or sloppy exposition. It's fairly basic, but comes off as more or less natural to me. This is going by tiny snippets of dialogue though, hard to really say one way or the other right now.
well i don't think the VA is great but it's whatever, the dialogue just sounds clunky and typical 'nobody talks like this' found in most jrpgs

ara

Oct 26, 2017
well i don't think the VA is great but it's whatever, the dialogue just sounds clunky and typical 'nobody talks like this' found in most jrpgs

Yeah, as someone who typically considers JRPG dialogue clunky at best and complete rubbish at worst even with games that often get praised for their writing (Trails, PS1/2 era FF, etc.), I'm really not seeing it here. It's extremely basic, but seems fine to me, and certainly not "ugh the dialogue" tier when considering the genre. But to each their own, of course.

e: I'm not a native speaker though so it's likely we have somewhat different views on clunky dialogue

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Barret sounds absolutely ridiculous. What are they doing? Cranking the stereotypes up to 11?

At least the music is amazing.

I suppose the voice directors took "being faithful" to heart and made Barret as ridiculous as the original's english translation. Too bad, really.
There's hope that it's part of his character development and that he's calmer later in the game, but who knows.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the whole anime animations when characters chat needs to stop! It's terrible looking with these visuals. Barret looked awful, Aerith looked weird too. Goofy animations need to go away.

Looks solid otherwise.

Also, who is voicing Tifa this time? And Jesse? Jesse sounds familiar, I just forgot the name of the VA. Cloud is same as ever but definitely better this time, probably due to some better direction now/less emo.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Cloud's English voice is on point, honestly. I'll play this first in Japanese I'd guess, but, TGS trailer aside (and a few caveats here and there), I'm really liking the voices in this. At least they fit what is shown.

Also, that fucking smirk. I'm so fucking glad they seem to know how to handle him and the overall mood of the game. What a comeback after years and years of (deserved) pessimism.
Man, the whole anime animations when characters chat needs to stop! It's terrible looking with these visuals. Barret looked awful, Aerith looked weird too. Goofy animations need to go away.

Looks solid otherwise.

Also, who is voicing Tifa this time? And Jesse? Jesse sounds familiar, I just forgot the name of the VA. Cloud is same as ever but definitely better this time, probably due to some better direction now/less emo.
All the cast is new, actually.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Cloud's English voice is on point, honestly. I'll play this first in Japanese I'd guess, but, TGS trailer aside (and a few caveats here and there), I'm really liking the voices in this. At least they fit what is shown.

Also, that fucking smirk. I'm so fucking glad they seem to know how to handle him and the overall mood of the game. What a comeback after years and years of (deserved) pessimism.

All the cast is new, actually.
Oh wow Cloud sounded the same to me.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting more than a little nervous that all the trailers seem to show the same areas and the same set pieces.
And Barrett's English voice is kinda bad. Too cheesy, too much scenery chewing compared to the others.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yeah, as someone who typically considers JRPG dialogue clunky at best and complete rubbish at worst even with games that often get praised for their writing (Trails, PS1/2 era FF, etc.), I'm really not seeing it here. It's extremely basic, but seems fine to me, and certainly not "ugh the dialogue" tier when considering the genre. But to each their own, of course.
I think the new dialogue standard is that it has to sound like higher art or it has to sound really clever and smart all the time, like Nolan movies where all they do is philosophise and make monologues.

I don't know what the standard is but I always feel like people take prose and complain it is "cringy" because taking aggressive sentences out of context funny enough does make it seem a little corny. But guess what, a lot of the lines in the trailer sounded like something those characters would say in those situations.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cloud/legolas weightless jump lol

advent children physics still reign

It's not so surprising, given what Tifa said in Advent Children.

"Two years ago… think of the strength we all had when we fought that last battle. It's only been a couple years, but already that feeling is gone. But Cloud – I think he's found it again."

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is looking good. And I say this as someone who's never felt the need to play Final Fantasy (but started to feel the itch with FF XV).

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather listen to a voice track that is at least inoffensive to my ears rather than listen to a voice actor that's coached up to sound like a stereotype, the perfomance borders on offensive to me.......But at the same time I can also step back and not put that all on the voice actor too. TBH I've had a problem with Barrett ever since I was a kid, all of my friends and I took issue with his character but we looked past it because we had very little representation in video games back then. Barrett was written terribly and was kind of buffoon-ish, but at least he was kinda cool and had some bad ass moments so we all reluctantly embraced his character. I was hoping Square would scale back on Barrett's character a bit and make him less of a stereotype but nope. I can look past it (again) and realize he's just a product of the time ( The Mr. T comparison makes it easier to digest though, I never put 2+2 together for some reason so props Lunar Wolf for pointing that out), but I don't want to listen to his voice, it bothers me and I can't help it.
...what are you talking about? Barret is one of the best written characters in the game. Maybe Cid/Red XIII's personal story is better than Barret's, but I think I'd argue that Barret's is the best.

Barret is just a guy from a small coal mining town who's naivety about shinra lead to his entire town/his best friend dying. He was thrust into this position of taking on shinra and taking care of Marlene. He then struggles with doing what he feels is right while also raising Marlene with large amounts of blood on his hands. Fantastically written character.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
Omg, I really got chills in my stomach with that music.
I still remember the day my dad drove me to the videogame store to purchase this gem on PS1. I was 13, spent weeks playing it.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
mMuOSX1.png
He just looks like lightning in the remake.
Toriyama really created cloud as a female

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm sick of trailers I just wanna play the damn game now. However credit where it's due it was e3 the game got announced so its more of a me thing

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The music was enough to get me hyped as fuck for this. Nothing too outrageous, just a straight modernization of an alteady god tier soundtrack, as it should be.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OST is perfection. Holy shit.

It's in the rankings for best battle themes ever.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
The music in the trailer is 11/10.
Also agreed. That pounding piano track is one of my favorites and sets the beginning mood of the game so well. Glad they captured the same feeling in the remix.

Upon second viewing I noticed they captured several tracks that I missed first time through. All FF VII classics. I'm glad they put those in the forefront because the music was a big source of why the game makes such a huge impact.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
So are we expecting anything for next week's Jump Festa?

I'm only asking since we just got this, so a new trailer so soon would be weird. Although this didn't really show much new, so yeah. In any case, the "trailer" they're showing there could be an old one, but I kinda see them having a completely new one as well. Let's hope!

They could always have a character trailer for every main character released relatively regularly. It's not like they'd be ruining much of the game seeing the ratio of new scenes compared to the other trailers.
Genuinely has to be the only FF MC designed by Nomura that has managed to look great in a realistic graphical style (Old Noctis isn't by Nomura, so he doesn't count).

It really shows how great (and subtle) the stylized look it has is, considering how the crazy hair doesn't look too unnatural.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So are we expecting anything for next week's Jump Festa?

I'm only asking since we just got this, so a new trailer so soon would be weird. Although this didn't really show much new, so yeah. In any case, the "trailer" they're showing there could be an old one, but I kinda see them having a completely new one as well. Let's hope!

They could always have a character trailer for every main character released relatively regularly. It's not like they'd be ruining much of the game seeing the ratio of new scenes compared to the other trailers.
I think there is a good chance we will get a new trailer next week. Nomura loves to do big trailers at Jump Festa and this character trailer seems a bit small for it to be a Jump Festa trailer.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I think there is a good chance we will get a new trailer next week. Nomura loves to do big trailers at Jump Festa and this character trailer seems a bit small for it to be a Jump Festa trailer.
I just need some Rufus and Nanaki love and I'm set, really.

I was confident we were getting one before the Cloud trailer, but yeah, I'm still somewhat optimistic we might still have one showing (even if there's the chance it could be the Japanese version of this one).

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I just need some Rufus and Nanaki love and I'm set, really.

I was confident we were getting one before the Cloud trailer, but yeah, I'm still somewhat optimistic we might still have one showing (even if there's the chance it could be the Japanese version of this one).
I think we will get at least one big trailer before release. Could be next week's Jump Festa, or closer to launch (like Jan 31st which is the anniversary date)
For the character trailer I expect it to come out more regularly for the remaining main casts.