• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Going union vs non union for the most part is generally about cutting costs somewhere. Hell Mass Effect andromeda did this and still had some stars in it.
Note: I think some of the cast here sound really good but most of the names are generally either broadway actors/CW actors and not known Voice Actors.

Tyler Hoechlin is absolutely a union actor and he's playing Sephiroth.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
There's a direct-feed HD download of the trailer btw: https://press.na.square-enix.com/products/p324/final-fantasy-vii-remake

Shame there's no one for the TGS trailer.
I feel like Squall would look outstanding in a realistic graphical style to this degree.

I'm still waiting, Square.
For sure, although I hate his most recent renditions (Dissidia above all).

I have no doubt Nomura would use a similar style to the original game though were a remake to happen. VIII has a gorgeous artstyle (Nomura's best imo) and it's a great use of a very anime look with relatively realistic proportions.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the whole anime animations when characters chat needs to stop! It's terrible looking with these visuals. Barret looked awful, Aerith looked weird too. Goofy animations need to go away.

Looks solid otherwise.
k0bclVs.gif
Sadly Final Fantasy can't help being anime as all fuck.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tyler Hoechlin is absolutely a union actor and he's playing Sephiroth.
Then that throws anything I have. Thanks for the info though on Tyler being a union actor(and his name because dude sounds great as sephiroth to me) and because it's a weird hobby of mine to learn more about VAs and the like.
I blame the whole MGS voice actors using fake names to get work while they were union for getting me into the whole thing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Then that throws anything I have. Thanks for the info though on Tyler being a union actor(and his name because dude sounds great as sephiroth to me) and because it's a weird hobby of mine to learn more about VAs and the like.

It's pretty weird that they've cast two Superman actors in a row to play Sephiroth. George Newbern (FFVIIAC, KH2, Dissidia, etc) was the VA for Superman in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, and Hoechlin (FFVIIR) plays Superman in the Arrowverse.

Oct 29, 2017
Good lord the music is fucking HYPE...also LOL at how obvious of a teen male fantasy Tifa clearly represents. They don't even try to be subtle about it, although I suppose they never did.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
This whole project exudes confidence now there is no doubt in what they have in their hands. It's just now waiting for the release.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I get the feeling this won't be very long and we will be waiting even longer for them to figure out how make that overworld work.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I haven't played FFVII before and I know Cloud only by name. I will try the game because it looks amazing - but tbh he looks a bit like an ass in the trailer. Since you are all fans of the char - does he go through some arc that makes him a bit more complex and interesting than just "I'm tough and I do it for the money" - which is what I read from the trailer?

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't get over the fact that SE of all companies is actually nailing this. There must be something that we don't know - it's too good to be true.

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
I haven't played FFVII before and I know Cloud only by name. I will try the game because it looks amazing - but tbh he looks a bit like an ass in the trailer. Since you are all fans of the char - does he go through some arc that makes him a bit more complex and interesting than just "I'm tough and I do it for the money" - which is what I read from the trailer?

No spoilers, but he goes through a very complex arc which makes him incredibly relatable.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
1000% yes.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really love the way Barret speaks "the way the planet is crying out in pain". But I'm not a native english speaker so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.

Pavemaniac

Sep 10, 2019
It should be clarified that when everyone above says 'yes' they only refer to Cloud's arc in the original game. This remake is going to divide the game into numerous parts and the first part supposedly only covers the opening section of the original game. Unless they rearrange and change a lot of the story (they'll expand on details but I very much doubt they'll change the whole structure of the narrative) Cloud will receive a more typical character arc to start with.

So if you're wanting a complex character out of Cloud, don't expect to get that story until every part of the remake is released. Alternatively, if you're happy to play fifth generation games then purchase one of many versions of the original to see what fully awaits.

Last edited:

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Cloud is an ass in the beginning. He does not care and going after the money. Cloud gets progression the further you are going into the story. He gets pretty likeable later especially he bonds with the team later on.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Well, without dwealling too much into spoilers "I'm tough and I do it for the money" is exactly what he should look like at first glance. Don't worry, there's a reason for that.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta admit I didn't have confidence in SE to deliver here, but that trailer was really good and put a lot of my fears to rest.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

He isn't that much of an ass in the game, atleast in the original, he can be kind of a goof sometimes. I dunno what will happen with the remake though, Nomura always liked to portray him like an ass, for example the movie.

And yeah I know what Nomura said about Cloud's remake, but we'll see.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly Final Fantasy can't help being anime as all fuck.
I'm failing to see the negative.
He isn't that much of an ass in the game, atleast in the original, he can be kind of a goof sometimes. I dunno what will happen with the remake though, Nomura always liked to portray him like an ass, for example the movie.

And yeah I know what Nomura said about Cloud's remake, but we'll see.
Cloud is absolutely an ass at the start of 7. A lot of his dialogue here is even more or less taken straight from the beginning of the game.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Guys remember when this game was being outsourced?
Remember when barely anything was shown and Nomura kept saying "it's because I'm working on Kingdom Hearts" and everyone was like "haha it's actually because the game isn't in development, never coming out LOL" and then the trailers started pouring out after KH3 and everyone was suddenly like "daaaaammmnnn that game looks awesome"?

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017

There is most certainly an arc