• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Hi folks,

I'm the Site Director over at thelifestream.net. Recently we posted a quick translation of the audio from the FF 30th anniversary art event in Japan, during which - in a closed-doors panel - Kitase made a joke relating to working on the remake until the 35th anniversary.

Various sites are reporting that the game has been delayed as a result of this. I have no idea what triggered them to all suddenly pick up on it today (I imagine one of the more popular sites published it and others have run with it) but it's a lie, and it's concerning because we're being cited as the source. Our translation was posted over a week ago.

Please if you get the chance to comment on one of these, let them know that it's clear in the translation they're linking to that he's making a joke.

Is it too much to ask they actually read the source before posting about it?

Sorry if this thread is inappropriate, but I felt this was important to point out because it's suddenly everywhere.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see various sites not doing due dilligence and just assuming Kitase is stating facts because "lol Square Enix"

People mindlessly spreading misinformation about Square's games is a constant anyway so it's not surprising.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty stupid that many of the bigger sites are making headlines and articles based on this.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Are a lot of actual sites actually running with that? Or is it mostly just annoying users on this forum?

Edit: Of course I believed OP that it was happening and he/she is absolutely in the right for making this thread. But as I said below:

Ok good to know. Because I checked Kotaku, Polygon, IGN, and Eurogamer and saw nothing on their front pages.

I'm just a bit sensitive to "fake news air quotes journalism" broad statements these days. If a couple of sites do something dumb then of course they should be called out for it, but way too many generalizations ITT already.

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
So far I've seen Playstation Lifestyle and Destructoid running stories on it.

I saw sites like destructoid running with it.

Ok good to know. Because I checked Kotaku, Polygon, IGN, and Eurogamer and saw nothing on their front pages.

I'm just a bit sensitive to "fake news air quotes journalism" broad statements these days. If a couple of sites do something dumb then of course they should be called out for it, but way too many generalizations ITT already.

Example:

Games media twisting words to generate clickbait, well there's a shock.

OP
OP
TLSLex

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Thanks for the support guys, but yeah it's spreading like wildfire at the minute and they're all citing us as the source.

So far I've seen Playstation Lifestyle and Destructoid running stories on it.

I realise they're far from a recognised gaming site but Unilad Gaming has a video on it. I think that might even have been the first offender because it reaches so many people in short order on FB.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Bad rumor, but i wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened considering squares recent history.

Hell, if the game is episodic as they say, then they probably will be working on it well past 2023

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this sort of the same like when Cory Barlog had ideas for 5 more God of War games and sites began running it as: "God of War Director confirms 5 more games!!!"

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this sort of the same like when Cory Barlog had ideas for 5 more God of War games and sites began running it as: "God of War Director confirms 5 more games!!!"

Here it's Kitase joking about the remake not being out 5 years and then journalists twisting that to "We got this secret info that the remake isn't coming until 2023!"

At least with Barlog's statement you're making an article not built on bullshit.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just quoting my post from the other thread.
I have a feeling sites are deliberately posting negative or misinfo news that paints 7R negatively regarding mutliple year delays because they know in actuality that isn't the case, and whenever the next trailer drops it will have a bigger effect since the majority or people aren't expecting it because of those news sites, or don't believe the Walmart leak anyway. Basically they're probably deliberately trying to lower peoples expectations. The timing is just suspect though especially now with the buzz of FF7R potentially being at E3 because of the Walmart leak.

It's sort of like when Nomura says he isn't gonna show a new trailer at an event but then shows up with a new trailer and everyone is excited, and moreso than they would have been if they were already expecting a trailer.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I feel it's just people exploiting clickbait, knowing full well what they're citing. Pretty sad.

I doubt very much that this is the case. Despite what many of you seem to think, most of the writers I know in the industry do actually care about relaying accurate information.

Additionally, this may surprise you, but in terms of raw pageviews Final Fantasy VII Remake isn't exactly a hot, exploitable thing. If I had a gun to my head and pageviews were the only way to save my life, I'd write two throwaway Fortnite stories and I could count on that bringing in more action than a Final Fantasy VII Remake 2023 release date speculation piece.

OP
OP
TLSLex

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
As far as I can tell, the Destructoid article is the first. Since that's a fairly well known publication, it's likely the other outlets ran with it following that. Honest mistake or not, I'm more worried about my own site's reputation here. Yeah we're a niche fan site but I don't want the place to be known for the spread of misinformation.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
We gotta remember websites want clicks, The story where FFVII Remake needs 5 more years or is a mess in development gets a lot more clicks than certain other titles. People have to read the source though

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I like it when news sites copy/paste ResetEra thread titles and opening posts without doing any kind of checks, including reading the damn thread itself.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
websites desperate for getting clicks aint a surprise, but thanks for the heads up. i've liked a lot of your content on the site, translations of novels, interviews and all

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is appropriate after destructoid picked up that thread, many many people believed that article at face value.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to reach out to the publications to clarify with them and see if they can make some kind of update to their article?

Jan 11, 2018
It's literally fake news. Ugh. I hope the websites that ran this story issue corrections and apologies, but I'm sure they're too busy enjoying the clicks at the moment.

Also, thank you for all the hard work you've put into your website through the years! Best source for all things FFVII, without a doubt.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
When a game like this seems like such vapourware its not hard for people to get the wrong impression.