Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In some regards it really looks like a different game, but I suppose that'll happen when you've been staring at the same graphics for a decade straight.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can notice the difference. I can't wait to test it on my PC

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Benchmark going to show people on a mount they can never obtain....

(Meteor is on the Legacy Chocobo only 1.0 players have)

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the benchmark is coming out on the 14th. Looking forward to trying it out.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Wait sorry for my ignorance, what is the benchmark?

They do this for every expansion. Basically runs a test video on your system using the in-game engine so you can get an idea about how well your PC will run it.

It will also likely have 7.0 character creator which should let people see what their character will look like, and have the Hrothgal character creator, so people who want to change to Hrothgal can make their characters now.

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
Before every expansion, they release a benchmark so you can see how your PC is expected to run the game with the new updates.

They do this for every expansion. Basically runs a test video on your system using the in-game engine so you can get an idea about how well your PC will run it.

It will also likely have 7.0 character creator which should let people see what their character will look like, and have the Hrothgal character creator, so people who want to change to Hrothgal can make their characters now.
Ahh okay, thank you for the info!

Excited to see how my character will look, I assume someone will have one close enough to mine.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see how my character will look, I assume someone will have one close enough to mine.

If you saved your character appearance when you made your character, you should be able to load it into the benchmark (Basically your character will appear in the video instead Meteor FinalFantasy up there.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
One of the main reasons why I finally upgraded my PC earlier this year. My 4070 Super is ready. Also, very nice to hear that they have implemented a proper AA solution. That was always one of the biggest visual issues with the current 2.0 graphics apart from the textures.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
Pixel Exarch, we hardly knew ye...

mohpj5gc6jg51.png

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or do I see an upgraded frog summon for Ninja? Hell yeah

Yeah, while were not getting the job trailer until next month, the Benchmark will have a lot or previews that people will expamine for the next month.

Looks like Summoner is getting Ramuh (or a lightning ability of some kind)

OP
OP
Kuro

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Will these graphic improvements come to consoles? Have any previous visual enhancements come to consoles?
It will be although unsure how far they take the improvements on PS4. PS3 has already ended support a while back.

PS5/XSX should be about on par with PC with maybe dynamic res/slightly lower distance settings.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, while were not getting the job trailer until next month, the Benchmark will have a lot or previews that people will expamine for the next month.

I mentioned it in the OT, but SCH has a new thing that looks like an upgraded Chain Stratagem, but it also seemed to deal damage(unless another character's attack just happened to sync up with it).

It's always fun to try and find the new things in the benchmark.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Stealing this from the OT, DLSS and FSR are finally coming to FFXIV

This bodes well for FFXVI's PC port.
Yeah this is great, thank you. FFXV may not have ran great on PC at launch but it was one of the first DLSS (1.0 but still) titles and had a lot of Gameworks features and I think Forespoken supports DLSS and FSR as well so I'm sure XVI will have something for everyone.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
The reddit translators have translated a tidbit about some of the gear texture upgrades for old stuff.

The 6.0 Job Exclusive gear will be updated to DT textures in 7.1, except Paladin. Paladin is used for their testing, so the Paladin gear is already updated and will be DT tier from the start

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Proper antialiasing is the thing that excited me the most. No more horrible shimmering and jaggies everywhere.

MEGrika

Oct 25, 2017
Proper antialiasing is the thing that excited me the most. No more horrible shimmering and jaggies everywhere.
It is what I've been begging for for years. Seeing stairs in the distance has always looked so bad. I was worried cause all the videos they have released about the upgrade have still had that horrible shimmer so I assumed they hadn't changed the AA at all.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping that we can use non-default hairstyles on the benchmark, I don't remember how older benchmarks worked since I used a default hairstyle back then

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
This benchmark doesn't tell me much aside from the improved character shadows. Would like to see changes made to existing content and assets.

The 6.0 Job Exclusive gear will be updated to DT textures in 7.1, except Paladin. Paladin is used for their testing, so the Paladin gear is already updated and will be DT tier from the start

The gear that was introduced with 4.0 / Stormblood and onward is in less need of an update. It's the ARR and Heavensward gear that really should have priority. When the devs still needed to accommodate for PS3 specs.

OP
OP
Kuro

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This benchmark doesn't tell me much aside from the improved character shadows. Would like to see changes made to existing content and assets.

The gear that was introduced with 4.0 / Stormblood and onward is in less need of an update. It's the ARR and Heavensward gear that really should have priority. When the devs still needed to accommodate for PS3 specs.
The Live Letter has more of those details if you scrobble through. They went over regions like Il Mheg and Camp Drybone among others. Foliage is much more detailed and now reacts to player movement for one. Textures look much improved and the tessellation doesn't look like barf anymore. The older regions are still seeing a slower rollout of course so not every feature will be fully implemented I think. The new expansion city has beautiful scale, environmental detail/props, and lighting.

They also changed mount animations to look more realistic.

edit: its about 3 hours back in the livestream

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping that we can use non-default hairstyles on the benchmark, I don't remember how older benchmarks worked since I used a default hairstyle back then

Pretty sure it's default only, because it uses the start of the game character creator (And exports those files for if you're importing back into FFXIV when DT releases)

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The Live Letter has more of those details if you scrobble through. They went over regions like Il Mheg and Camp Drybone among others. Foliage is much more detailed and now reacts to player movement for one. Textures look much improved and the tessellation doesn't look like barf anymore. The older regions are still seeing a slower rollout of course so not every feature will be fully implemented I think. The new expansion city has beautiful scale, environmental detail/props, and lighting.

They also changed mount animations to look more realistic.

edit: its about 3 hours back in the livestream

All regions are updated in 7.0, it's gears that's being rolled out.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Ps3 graphics in 2024, unacceptable
Game is from 2010, visually updating a hugely popular MMO that's this old can take a long ass time, especially when your walking the fine line between adding modern visual techniques and still having the game be able to run on the majority of the millions of pc's currently running it. Also the game still has to run on the og PS4, which is getting some visual improvements itself.

Could be worst, at least they stopped supporting PS3, if that version was still running we'd probably get none of this.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Ps3 graphics in 2024, unacceptable
Game is from 2010, visually updating a hugely popular MMO that's this old can take a long ass time, especially when your walking the fine line between adding modern visual techniques and still having the game be able to run on the majority of the millions of pc's currently running it. Also the game still has to run on the og PS4, which is getting some visual improvements itself.

Could be worst, at least they stopped supporting PS3, if that version was still running we'd probably get none of this.
Hopefully it still runs well on the steam deck with these upgrades.
I imagine the game will still have some kind of potato settings. when you have like 30 million monthly players you gotta have some support for the weaker hardware too.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

This making me wonder how Summoner rotation will be like with 4 summons

Will definitly allow for less rigid play and adjust better for 2 min window

IonMagus

Feb 18, 2021

I imagine the game will still have some kind of potato settings. when you have like 30 million monthly players you gotta have some support for the weaker hardware too.

Lol XIV doesnt have 30 Million monthly Players. Thats just the amount of People who ever registered an account for the Game via F2P or Sub

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
Trying to figure out what the secondary theme is from the 2:53ish mark is. It sounds like something I recognise and I can't tell if it's original or just Terra from 9.