• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
unknown.png

unknown.png

Translation from the FF14 discord about the live letter stream. This is huge that FF14, even 8 years after its reboot, is still growing

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Playing a patch day 1 for the last few patched.

I learnt that if you hold X it filters out clicking on other players so you can right click on the NPC.

I wonder if it won't be possible to log in though for.endwalker.

Also can the game run out of solo instances? And you have to wait?

I've read about one or two, but seems like it's a bigger thing.
Is there a particular reason behind it?
Videos about this has popped up on YouTube for me.
From what I can tell the latest expansion for world of Warcraft wasn't received well.

And the one before also wasn't.

Seems like a streamer called Asmongold started ffxiv and got 200k viewers watching his first stream.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I've read about one or two, but seems like it's a bigger thing.
Is there a particular reason behind it?

WoW has sparked up ire for players for a long time now so even new Expansions don't seem to keep players for long (Shadowlands having a waaay too long patch cycle doesn't help) and their re-releases of old Expansions are doing well (indicating people liked their old approach more).

So naturally other MMOs benefit from this. FFXIV is probably the big MMO that's the most similiar to WoW (there aren't many theme park MMOs around anymore that play like/similiar to WoW) so it will most likely benefit the most assuming Endwalker will be as good as prior Expansions (it most likely will be, if not better).

edit: Also FFXIV is just really good and super consistent, which also helps on top of all that.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, maybe I won't take the 19th off. I'm sure they're taking steps to ensure a smooth launch, it would just suck to take the day off to sit around in a queue.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
So many factors at play

- Latest expansion extremely well-received
- Massively expanded the Free Trial to the point where it became a self-advertising meme
- Overhauled the questing experience of ARR and added flying mounts (which makes the notorious post-ARR quests much more bearable)
- Big push from Square to bring in viewers on Twitch, both by targeting WoW streamers like AnnieFuschia with sponsored streams and also the Fat Black Chocobo promo. Other streamers like Asmongold and Rich Campbell playing to large viewer counts without even being sponsored
- Blizzard being Blizzard

It's been crazy to see, honestly.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
A multimillion dollar investment to translate the game into other European languages would also be appreciated.
With any luck that would come along with an announcement for a Data Center for our siblings in Latin America.

Edit: Edited to Latin America as the region I was referring to.

Last edited:

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
LOL alright then, I'm probably gonna look for something else to do on the early access days as I'll be only waiting in queues....

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I doubt it. The servers have been struggling for a while because interest has been high and it hasn't even been a week since Asmon started playing. This decision was made before then.

Yeah Asmongold is only gonna speed the process up, would've happened without him (the increase in players and preorders etc.) as well. I essentially ALWAYS have a small queue while connecting regardless of which time I log in.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Square must really be happy with WOW apparently going through a lull. If they play their cards right, FFXIV will be the defacto MMORPG for years to come.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. The servers have been struggling for a while because interest has been high and it hasn't even been a week since Asmon started playing. This decision was made before then.
Yea things have been trending with an uptick in players LONG before Asmon even considered giving XIV a try. EDIT: He is most definitely the equivalent of dousing the player uptick situation with gasoline so to speak even though I'm not particularly a fan of him I'm glad even he can see why the kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch I mean FFXIV

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Launch day gonna be insane
First FF expansion I'll be unable to play on launch day/early access
But maybe its for the best
We might see something similar to Raubhan EX on early access day xD

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game got bigger and bigger with the ShB patches and the free trails.
That over the last year and 2021 many WOW personality switched to FFXIV accalerated this trend.
I'm happy for the entire FFXIV team, but man will it be a slog at Patch day

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I've had to wait in queue for logging on every time for a few months now, but it's only ever low double digit players in the queue. Nowhere near the log in issues when ARR launched the first time. I'm glad I'm not playing on the server Asmon decided to go with.

While I still think the game looks fine it would be great if this pushed SE to get some engine upgrades, both graphical and backend (inventory, glamour being a painful mess, etc.) but I have a sneaking suspicion the higher ups think the game and story is a strong enough draw to coast on the codebase as-is.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Was the latest WoW content patch that bad? It came out like a week ago.

Also TBC classic is fresh outta the oven so this exodus of big name WoW players is interesting. Few months ago I would get it during the content drought, but now?

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've had to wait in queue for logging on every time for a few months now, but it's only ever low double digit players in the queue. Nowhere near the log in issues when ARR launched the first time. I'm glad I'm not playing on the server Asmon decided to go with.

While I still think the game looks fine it would be great if this pushed SE to get some engine upgrades, both graphical and (inventory, glamour being a painful mess, etc.) but I have a sneaking suspicion the higher ups think the game and story is a strong enough draw to coast on the codebase as-is.
I wouldn't expect a graphical update until 7.0 (2023?) with the possible end of PS4 support.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Almost triple the preorders damn son!

And Server infrastructure. Pog!

Let's get rid of all these dumbass limitations!

Yeh I haven't been able to login without some sort of queue for months now.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

Also TBC classic is fresh outta the oven so this exodus of big name WoW players is interesting. Few months ago I would get it during the content drought, but now?

I understand the quality of the content update being subpar when it was supposed to alleviate the content drought was the last straw.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Does a streamer i only see in youtube recommends and his 100k twitch viewers translate to millions of new players getting in? I think the good reputation of the shadowbringer expansion is what made the anticipation for the next expansion go up, plenty of people catching up and you will hear about FFXIV and its free trial in one way or another on the internet.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the pandemic allowed a lot of people to finally catch up on XIV (I know I'm one of them) so I'm not surprised Endwalker pre-orders are doing better than ShB (though the word of mouth around ShB probably helped a ton too). Really hyped to be there day one for an expansion drop.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Based on word of mouth (read: I havn't played it myself) it was underwhelming considering how long people had to wait for it.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Does a streamer i only see in youtube recommends and his 100k twitch viewers translate to millions of new players getting in? I think the good reputation of the shadowbringer expansion is what made the anticipation for the next expansion go up, plenty of people catching up and you will hear about FFXIV and its free trial in one way or another on the internet.
Yep, Shadowbringers and lockdown really helped XIVs popularity. Endwalker is going to be crazy (but also a nightmare of not being able to play) on launch.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017

The number of unique users is a lot higher. I've heard the numbers are like 2 to 2.5 million watched at least a little bit of Asmongold play ff14 on twitch for the first time, which is nuts

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to play 14. How does it run on PS4?
I've been playing XIV exclusively on a launch PS4 since it became available to do so, it handles the game rather well but I've also never had a decent gaming PC ever so I've not the perspective to "miss" the better rendering and vfx PC players have access to. Like at most you might have to turn spell effects off for complete randos when you enter the 70+man zones but that's also just me babying my PS4 cuz shit is old and I misplaced my tools to give it a clean when I last moved.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

From what I heard, it took them over half a year for new proper content and the story gets worse and worse.
So many people are trying out FFXIV instead of playing WOW for the sake of it

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Square went from one of the worst launched games of the decade/worst launched FF games ever, to the most popular MMO ever. It is so rare for a relaunch to happen, let alone work and become so successful. I still can't believe they shut down the servers and remade the game and made it into a massive in game event.

Kudos to the FF XIV team, I am early and lost, but I can see why it's such a loved game.

Endwalker is going to make Square bank.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
For TBC Classic I've heard complaints about the way they're monetizing it and that the old content is so well-understood and min/maxed to hell and back that it doesn't provide the same satisfying experience it did back in the day.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't expect a graphical update until 7.0 (2023?) with the possible end of PS4 support.
That's conditional upon them having the numbers to ditch the PS4 and the supply constraints of the PS5 and it's lack of availability may punt that inflection point further down the road then we might have once expected (as before the PS5s launch I also thought around 7.0 would be when they might spruce things up a bit)

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Square went from one of the worst launched games of the decade/worst launched FF games ever, to the most popular MMO ever. It is so rare for a relaunch to happen, let alone work and become so successful. I still can't believe they shut down the servers and remade the game and made it into a massive in game event.

Kudos to the FF XIV team, I am early and lost, but I can see why it's such a loved game.

Endwalker is going to make Square bank.
I don't think we're anywhere near where WoW was at it's height... but I agree the turn around is remarkable and doesn't need the hyperbole.