• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Luminous Productions, the studio behind Final Fantasy XV, have put up nearly 20 job postings for various positions on the Japanese job-hunting website Creative Village. In order to tell potential sollicitants what kind of project they'll be working on and what their responsibilities within the team will be, the job listings include a bunch of details about Luminous Productions' current project.

Luminous Productions is currently hiring for the following positions:

Graphics programmers, gameplay programmers, animation programmers, AI programmers;
Tool programmers, R&D programmers, and various VFX positions;
Game designers, AI designers;
Technical animators, facial animators;
Rigging artists, concept artists, 3D character artists, 'simulation technical artists';
Live service planners, data analysts.

Project description
There are couple of elements that return a lot between the different job listings. The project is described as a "high-end AAA console game project", "a world-class large-scale game that everyone [knows or will get to know]", and as a game that is developed in the Luminous Engine. At least one job listing describes the position as "a chance to touch the latest technology". Meanwhile, other job listings are hiring for people who can "investigate, research, and develop core features of the next generation Luminous Engine".

Project features
A variety of project features are listed:

- Hires will create assets for photorealistic and non-photorealistic human characters, as well as animals and monsters.
- Hires will design action gameplay ("mainly battles" is specifically mentioned).
- Hires will implement character behaviour, battle and game content, game UI, and level elements.
- Hires will implement NPCs and quest and event planning, as well as create a planning for AI processing to control battle characters - both companions and enemies.
- Hires will be in charge of facial motion production and production of motion capture data.
- Hires will be in charge of facial rig creation (photorealistic and non-photorealistic characters, monsters, animals, etc)
- Technical animators interested in the job will "actively take in new technologies, [with an] approach from the technical point of the character's all-in-one strike, the action, the monster's dynamism and so on."
- Hires will be in charge of the operation of the player's or the enemy's action relationship (mainly battle) and the planning of player action or AI behaviour in high-end AAA game development. This is a job for "those who can respond to the expansion and change of operations according to the experience of manufacturing 3D games with action elements or action games for console or RPG's AI character planning experience".
- Hires will be in charge of simulation work in high-end AAA game development. They will research and develop cloth simulation, muscle simulation, and real-time destruction simulation of in-game [objects].
- Hires will produce various art pieces necessary for the high-end AAA game title in development at this studio, such as art for advertisement, concept design and design of backgrounds, characters, monsters, various props, etc.
- Hires will produce 3DCG characters in general that will appear in high-end AAA games and produce assets such as people, monsters, weapons, and accessoires. They will need "deep knowledge of human body shaping and anatomy."
- For the hired data analyst(s), "it [will be] possible to build a service analysis system for big game titles that everyone [will get to know]" and to "analyse player data [from] all over the world, not only in Japan".
- Hires will create a planning for "a long-term service of a world-class large-scale game that everyone [will get to know]".

Engine features
- Hires will produce tools and do "workflow maintenance of the Luminous Engine, which will be used for a high-end AAA project".
- Hires will implement "state-of-the-art graphics in the Luminous Engine used in a high-end AAA game development project".
- Hires will investigate, research, and develop core features of the next generation game engine including: dropping into pre-render VFX real-time rendering using machine learning; lightmapping using ray tracing; development of skin and hair shaders; and optimisation of the drawing system.
- Hires will help the studio investigating, researching, and developing core features of the next generation Luminous Engine, such as creation of a procedural walking engine, an animation engine which runs on the GPU, and a next generation facial system. The job will be fun, because "the studio works with state-of-the-art technology in both real-time graphics and pre-render movies".
- Hires will help the studio investigating, researching, and developing core features of the next generation Luminous Engine, such as development of Character AI using machine learning and automatic test case generation by auto test play.

---

In other words, the studio is working on a futureproof version of the Luminous Engine and on a new IP with worldwide aim for next generation consoles!

The fact that this game is coming to next generation consoles does not mean it will not be coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Edit: I made a mistake in my research, which opens up the possibility that this project doesn't have to be an existing series. It could also be a new IP, which others pointed out is much more likely.
I've edited the text to fix the error.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it's not Parasite Eve. The only reason I mention it is that they bothered to highlight Third Birthday in the press release when they established Luminous Productions, and there's really no reason to bring that up as a mark of quality or anything.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Interesting. The "world-class large-scale game that everyone knows" bit pretty much confirms it's a FF game yeah.
Guess they've been happy with the PC release sales and reception, and thought there wasn't much choice for who could make FFXVI in time?

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
FFXVII?

I suppose XVI is already a thing, no way they are starting concept on that one just now.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were working on a new IP. Unless they're going to be a two game studio.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Interesting. The "world-class large-scale game that everyone knows" bit pretty much confirms it's a FF game yeah.
Guess they've been happy with the PC release sales and reception, and thought there wasn't much choice for who could make FFXVI in time?
You think this is for XVI? There is no way that game isn't already in production by another studio.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't the biggest FFXV fan (despite me platinuming the game) but I am interested in seeing what the team can do without having to stitch together a broken game on a ridiculously short schedule.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chrono trigger, Xenogears, or Final Fantasy...... Tactics

its probably XVI, but isnt this group developing the expansions of FFXV i forgot this stuff

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
FFXVII?

I suppose XVI is already a thing, no way they are starting concept on that one just now.
You think this is for XVI? There is no way that game isn't already in production by another studio.
Most (if not all) of their big divisions are/were already pretty busy, and it seems like they're still focusing on content for FFXV this gen.
I know they said they were working on a new IP when they made this studio, but plans change especially in the pre-production stage.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Plot twist: it's FF7R-2. Makes sense because you'll be roaming around the open world by then. :D

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Is it actually a possibility for Tabata to get to direct another main FF entry? from the ground up this time?
Truly the best time line.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Well, we know it's not Final Fantasy XVI so I wonder... if it's a well known game that Square owns...

Maybe they will try to take a different take on the FF franchise, something akin to the Comrades expansion.

My take is that they want to make a Destiny/Monster Hunter/Anthem game where you can make your own character and play with your friends on missions and raids.
However, this will not be the next version of FFXIV. I think a new FF MMO is coming after, probably still directed by Yoshi P.

They may use the FF brand to get people's attention, but again, it will not be a new main entry in the series. More like a spin off.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they say they were already working on a next gen game shortly aft r FFXV launched?

Gimme FF16 PS5 launch title (won't happen)

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Most (if not all) of their big divisions are/were already pretty busy, and it seems like they're still focusing on content for FFXV this gen.
I know they said they were working on a new IP when they made this studio, but plans change especially in the pre-production stage.
I don't really believe SE made this studio and tasked them to make a mainline FF, Tabata himself said he'd like to work on a new thing, plus aren't multiple FF games usually in production at the same time? SE have like 6 BD just for FF, there is no way one of them isn't already working on the next game.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm confused. I thought that SE said that Luminous Engine was a failure and that's why KH III and DQ XI were made with UE 4.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It seems they don't give up to use the luminous engine. Well at least for the next generation. Thought it's quite opinable in terms of performance (on console at least).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Well, we know it's not Final Fantasy XVI so I wonder... if it's a well known game that Square owns...

Maybe they will try to take a different take on the FF franchise, something akin to the Comrades expansion.

My take is that they want to make a Destiny/Monster Hunter/Anthem game where you can make your own character and play with your friends in missions and raids.
However this will not be the next version of FFXIV. I think a new FF MMO is coming after, probably still directed by Yoshi P.

They will use the FF brand to get people's attention but it will not be a new main entry in the series. More like a spin off.
Who's working on FFXVI then?
Didn't they say they were already working on a next gen game shortly aft r FFXV launched?
Which would indicate they're probably close to ending (if not already done with) the pre-production stage yeah, which correlates with all those job offers.
I don't really believe SE made this studio and tasked them to make a mainline FF, Tabata himself said he'd like to work on a new thing, plus aren't multiple FF games are usually in production at the same time, SE have like 6 BD just for FF, there is no way one of them isn't already working on the next game.
BD1 and 3 are too busy with FFVIIR and KH3, BD4 is too small, BD5 doesn't work on this kind of project, BD6/7 are usually working with other studios. BD8/9/10 are also too small.
BD2 is doing the content updates for FFXV. They could be working with them to work on FFXVI though, since Tabata helms both of those. They're also not recruiting anyone at the moment, which doesn't fit with a game as big as XVI.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
"Next generation Luninous engine"

Why not just use Unreal Engine 4? Isn't Luminous significantly more complicated?
It's definitely less efficient and very expensive for the console hardware. Probably they hope with the next generation to gain performance thanks to the next cpu. But honestly I don't have great hopes to fix his problems in the limited performance of a console.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
They're probably just talking about a Next Gen Kingdom Hearts. I guarantee no matter how the story ends in 3, KH is going to keep going for fucking decades.

Soya

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry but I can't get excited for a next generation Luminous Engine game. The last two generations ended with complete disaster. I thought they would completely switch over to Unreal, but I guess not. I just don't trust SE to build good tools in a timely manner.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be surprising if it was FFXVI and they are just starting the real development.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Who's working on FFXVI then?

Which would indicate they're probably close to ending (if not already done with) the pre-production stage yeah, which correlates with all those job offers.

BD1 and 3 are too busy with FFVIIR and KH3, BD4 is too small, BD5 doesn't work on this kind of project, BD6/7 are usually working with other studios. BD8/9/10 are also too small.
BD2 is doing the content updates for FFXV. They could be working with them to work on FFXVI though, since Tabata helms both of those. They're also not recruiting anyone at the moment, which doesn't fit with a game as big as XVI.
Rumors said the guys of ff14 are making the 16

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And again, how do you know? Those job offers seem to indicate it's a FF game, Tabata said he was working on a new IP but this was barely in the pre-prod stage with no updates since, and all the other divisions are busy or too small.
Because just hiring for the next FF is very late, if this is a mainline FF then it will be XVII, personally I think it's a spinofff.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They're probably just talking about a Next Gen Kingdom Hearts. I guarantee no matter how the story ends in 3, KH is going to keep going for fucking decades.
There's no reason not to have Osaka make the next game after they're done with 3. It'll be a lot smoother with their first console game out of the way.

Like, I'm legit worried by whatever this is...

With the new IP direction, I could've confidently ignored whatever the team produced (which I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy after their work on Third Birthday, Type 0, Crisis Core and XV), but if it's attached to a franchise I care about, then I might bite regardless of the almost garunteed disappointment ;/