• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
dwem0f7xr5571.jpg

bullshit

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I may actually play in English for the first time in a JRPG then (unless it's just Americans faking an accent)

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Bit of a dumb reason but cool I guess. I always go back to Last Story, which had a diverse set of British accents which I appreciated.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I would have liked a variety of accents like XII to add a bit of regionality, but oh well.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
One day we'll get an FF based on a non-white setting like Africa. One day.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some rare good British voice acting too it seems

None of your Xenoblade garbage

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
That's dumb, americans seem to have no issue turning on Japanese tracks for all of the JRPGs clearly set in not Japan.. Also soft-confirms we're going the standard route of all whiteys again, cool.

Mar 23, 2018
The USA is not a land of fantasy, Yoshi-P confirms.

Good. Xenoblade Chronicles has my favorite RPG dub. "What a bunch of jokers!"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Works for me. The setting certainly seems like it would need more European-style voice actors, though I wouldn't mind some non-English accents as well. Bring in some Welsh people, some Irish, some Scots, and maybe even some folks from mainland Europe.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember giant crystals and rock people on medieval europe...but sure, w/e, I'll play it with JP voices anyways XD

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
ah yes, the famous "British accents" of medieval Europe; a time-period where Latin was the dominant language for important discourse and modern English didnt even exist :P But I guess that fantasy always takes place in England.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd bet this decision came more from the fact that they already have an English dubbing studio they work closely with for FFXIV.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
One day we'll get an FF based on a non-white setting like Africa. One day.

They have to go all the way so people have no basis for their "concern," (e.g. Black Panther, set in an African country, virtually all-Black cast with variety of archetypes, etc.). If it's solely a black/African-inspired protagonist, people say they "don't fit" the setting and "aren't relatable," for any number of arbitrary reasons.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
This is so stupid to me.

It's a made up world.
To me, it doesn't resemble medieval Europe in the slightest.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
If I ever did my one of my dream games, a Late Roman Empire sandbox rpg (like Mount and Blade) I would give Italo-Romans American accents and Roman Citizens in the Greek East would have English accents.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
British accents make me feel classy as I'm sitting in my underwear grinding for XP at 2am.
How many British accents have you heard that aren't from the South?

There is a massive range of British accents and to be honest most do not sound classy at all.

And I say this as someone from Yorkshire. The least classy sounding region.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is so stupid to me.

It's a made up world.
To me, it doesn't resemble medieval Europe in the slightest.

To be fair do you really see people who look and dress like these characters talking with Boston or New Jersey accents? It'd be funny for 5 minutes but it wouldn't really feel like a real setting.

More importantly it means we won't have to deal with the same exact cavalcade of generic American anime VAs who all do the same voice every time they play a role, or The Cast of Critical Role(TM) for the eleven billionth time. We might actually see some distinct performances for a change.

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
It sounds stupid, ideally each town would had each own accent/words like they did in medieval times if they want to go the extra mile.