• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
MTmHQ2s.png
This shows our estimation of players that played Forza Horizon 4, based on in-game leaderboards and temporal correction compared to Forza Horizon 3. There is an offset in time applied to the second curve in order to match the release date of both games.

Both games had an early access of a handful of days through the Ultimate Edition (MSRP 99$) and Forza Horizon 4 Standard Edition was launched Oct 2nd both on retail and on gamepass.

Remind that unique players =/= copies sold, especially with MS games that are from now on available on Gamepass on day one (October 2nd in this case). Still impressive though.

Source: https://www.kudosprime.com/fh4/stats.php?preset=playersnb

Last edited:

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's the best racing franchise in the world, only makes sense. Horizons have gotten better and better and better.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Game pass has to be a huge reason.. also there aren't a ton of hot new Xbox one games the last few months and not a ton of games like horizon these days either

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
I'm one of them. Turned on my Xbox for the first time in like six months to play it, thanks to Game Pass.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Similar to Sea of Thieves, but I think this game has way more legs. Sea of Thieves had ~1 million after 48 hours and ~2 million after around one week.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's up 114%, not 214%...

It's a great result but hardly surprising. Two years later in the generation, a better considered game and gamepass. I'm gonna be able to play the game for two months for about £2, whereas I actually bought Forza Horizon 3. I doubt I'll be playing it beyond that point, but we'll see. I've always liked Forza Horizon but I've never loved it the way a lot of people seem to and I don't think 4 is going to change that. It feels decent to drive, though I was expecting more difference between the seasons, but the game as a whole just feels kinda bloated like a lot of open world games do these days. I'm kinda bored of grinding through what feels like the longest tutorial of all time already, half way through winter. I'm really hoping that I find something once I get beyond this cycle that keeps me going in the more online centric stuff.

Last edited:

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Im just going to echo best racing game franchise.

Excited to see it in game pass and see how successful it will become

By the way, team racing in it is so much fun xD

Aug 26, 2018
Good news but frankly, I think its much higher. I don't have any proof to prove it.

A few reasons for my prediction: FH4 is launching on Xbox GP unlike FH3, PC port is widely praised unlike the initial launch of FH3 and has more marketing than FH3, I expect it to be close to 3 Million.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The larger amount is expected due to Game Pass but it's interesting to see how well the Ultimate Edition did as well. This is my first Horizon due to Game Pass and I see myself subbing for a few months for it.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Gotta agree with all the GOAT racer comments. Game is absolutely mind-boggling. Congrats, Playground.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't SoT have 1 million players in the first 2 days and 2 million in a little over a week? With GP getting bigger and the game receiving a much better critical reception I expected a lot more. Do you need to play the game for a certain amount of time before being added to the leaderboards?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Didn't SoT have 1 million players in the first 2 days and 2 million in a little over a week? With GP getting bigger and the game receiving a much better critical reception I expected a lot more.

I will have to agree. But as I posted above, this game will have much stronger legs.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Well, if I look at that graph ~500k players played it before it was on Gamepass.
You're right.

Looking at it further, there's a lot of weird stuff in that data.
The start of FH3 makes sense. People buy Ultimate, play it, graph plateaus until non-ultimate players get to join the fun and goes up further. But not that much actually. It's like every third person, who wants to play the game around release, is going for the really not all that cheap Ultimate Edition.
FH4's grapha doesn't plateau in the Ultimate-only time-frame (maybe because the 29th Sep data point is missing).

Also, despite Game Pass, the FH4 graphs goes up actually LESS than the FH3 graph after the Ultimate-only period.

This all kinds of weird.

Slev

Oct 27, 2017
Will be curious the #'s left say after October 16th...

That's when my and many peoples free 14 day trial of Game Pass runs out...

Congrats to Microsoft nonetheless.

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks.
Thanks for the info Phil.
:")

It's not about the active players here, just the total number.
Um where are they get this data?
Probably from a very early in-game leaderboards, that's why it's not 100% reliable. I'd hope that it's a mandatory activity that they are logging, but I have no information on that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea wich leaderboard the used? From wich event?

Weird thought everyone used that free trial for Sea of Thieves. :P

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
88,94% of the players has 'arrived at the Forza festival' so completed the four opening races. (Source; achievements)

34,66% of the total players have completed the prologue and are in Horizon Life at the moment.

We'll always have some 14 day trials. But how many times can we use that argument? There were 2 million players for Sea of Thieves after one week, there was the launch of State of Decay 2 and now FH4. We'll see the same thing with Crackdown 3? :P

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft game doing well....let's see how it does after an arbitrary amount of time.

Last edited:

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
Well I got the game through the GamePass and after few hours I upgraded it to that Ultimate Edition for around 60 bucks in my country, I think that MS strategy is really smart. But congrats to Playground Games & Turn 10, to keep their quality of output.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
It's the best racing game I've ever played and one of the best games of this generation.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's the most fun car racing game I've ever played.

Once I start playing it's impossible to put down.

It helps that it's so damn pretty.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
EMEAA data already shows that the Ultimate edition is doing amazingly. It's not just because of the gamepass.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game deserves every bit of success. I've been playing Forza games since 2 on the X360 and this is by far the best on a series of great games.

Any idea wich leaderboard the used? From wich event?

Weird thought everyone used that free trial for Sea of Thieves. :P
Also State of Decay 2, right guys? People always using those dumb arguments against anything positive about Xbox.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Hmm, never heard of kudosprime.com.

FH is a great racing franchise, up there with Gran Turismo for sure.