2030 engine regulations should...

• more battery, more harvesting, more more more

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • the full Domenicali. No hybrid, no turbo. Smaller lighter cars.

Votes: 36 36.4%
  • The half domenicali. No hybrid, keep the turbos. Smaller lighter cars.

Votes: 52 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Nice to see Aston actually showing some performance.
Although watching Alonso's board was pretty crazy, the car looks like on absolute knifes edge.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Amazing he went out on the dirty side of the tunnel and still maintained control after that hard swerve

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Sweet mother that was close
It was indeed. Brown trousers all round.

Can I just remind everyone that you can post F2 and F3 here, but please chuck it in a spoiler tag for at least 48 hours. Some here will want to watch it all themselves but might not get a chance on the day.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while since I watched Iron Man 2, but shouldn't that race have been instantly red flagged as soon as there's a man on track? That he has electrowhips and is clearly hostile just makes it worse.
I had this exact thought once I saw the thumbnail earlier today and remembered the scene. I'm going to now assume he took out all the marshals on that part of the track first.

bb1173

May 1, 2022
I had this exact thought once I saw the thumbnail earlier today and remembered the scene. I'm going to now assume he took out all the marshals on that part of the track first.
maybe the people who hosted the historic GP are about as competent as the FIA, so it could take a couple of mins for the flag to be deployed

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
It the difference in looks that gets me. He looks nothing like the Lewis of today.

But I guess that is what a weapons grade fashionista makeover and a few hundred million dollars can do for you.
He was a Mclaren Junior, under Ron Dennis there was only one way, and it was his way.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. I really don't

Who turns up day one in a brand new sport and takes any meaningful prize money from the other teams? unless you're so shit you don't even earn the crumbs from the table that are automatically granted.

the rest is 'but what if they eventually do better than me wah give me money' which is again fucking stupid. The sport is growing, revise your payout profile and share more of the revenue rather than circle wagons to protect against a very low risk

or just say no prize money for 5 years - for most teams you're not expecting to earn that much so it's less than $600 bloody million, and after 5 years sod the rest of them

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. I really don't

Who turns up day one in a brand new sport and takes any meaningful prize money from the other teams? unless you're so shit you don't even earn the crumbs from the table that are automatically granted.

the rest is 'but what if they eventually do better than me wah give me money' which is again fucking stupid. The sport is growing, revise your payout profile and share more of the revenue rather than circle wagons to protect against a very low risk

or just say no prize money for 5 years - for most teams you're not expecting to earn that much so it's less than $600 bloody million, and after 5 years sod the rest of them
It's not about prize money, it's about the worth of a team. There are currently 10 teams, so they are valued on that basis. If someone wants to buy their way on the grid they pay that price. Introduce a new team and a new slot opens, meaning the teams are now worth slightly less as there are hypothetically more options and offers. Same goes with sponsors etc.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about prize money, it's about the worth of a team. There are currently 10 teams, so they are valued on that basis. If someone wants to buy their way on the grid they pay that price. Introduce a new team and a new slot opens, meaning the teams are now worth slightly less as there are hypothetically more options and offers. Same goes with sponsors etc.

its positioned like its about prize money but your explanation makes more sense. But removing them from prize money for x years would calm a lot of that?

and they've had more than ten teams up to pretty recently - some of the current teams on the grid wouldn't be here if there wasn't a larger grid before. Its crazy

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I think F1 is stupid for not letting Andretti in, and that the grid could do with more teams, I'm not sure Andretti running to teacher is the right way to go about getting the big kids to play with him long term.

beebop

May 30, 2023
But isn't the idea that another team, in this case an American team, brings in more revenue to F1 which in turn can increase the prize pool and more sponsors. It wouldn't work for just any team, but a name like Andretti is sure to get more State-side eyes on the sport.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
As much as I think F1 is stupid for not letting Andretti in, and that the grid could do with more teams, I'm not sure Andretti running to teacher is the right way to go about getting the big kids to play with him long term.
I think historically speaking we've seen that the ONLY way to get the teams to do anything outside their own established comfort zone is to force it on them as they're screaming and kicking all along the way.

immy

Banned
Jul 3, 2022
Not consistently of late, don't think they've had a driver win the title since 2012.

It's really been Chip Ganassi Racing vs Penske.

With that said, they have been able to pull off a handful of Indy 500 wins.
Yeah I suspect the reason they are not allowed in is money, but also a competitive issue. However it's mostly money

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Wtf is going on. I've asked for a title change twice.

I think historically speaking we've seen that the ONLY way to get the teams to do anything outside their own established comfort zone is to force it on them as they're screaming and kicking all along the way.
Can't disagree there either. But it's usually the FIA doing the dragging.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
What's the alternative you believe they have? Doing as they're told and waiting until 2028 and jumping through all the new hoops and the new 1 billion fee with a high chance of still getting told "nah, we won't let you in?"

Or "just buy another team" as the team principals once again said yesterday. "Audi did it" and apparently "it's the right way to go about it."

I think Andretti is fighting the only way they can, by fighting the rules and not the people. It's not their fault the teams and Liberty in particular are being a cartel.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But isn't the idea that another team, in this case an American team, brings in more revenue to F1 which in turn can increase the prize pool and more sponsors. It wouldn't work for just any team, but a name like Andretti is sure to get more State-side eyes on the sport.
You would imagine that, indeed. But I think they are just looking at a spreadsheet of worth. One day your team is worth $1.88B (that's apparently the average worth of a F1 team?), and the next day there is x million dollars gone. I mean, it's all just imaginary money on some level. But someone has it on their spreadsheet of assets they own and they just look at it like 'If I say yes, it costs me x millions of dollars with no immediate benefits. Fuck that!'

SP.

Oct 27, 2017