Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first couple seasons of DTS. Can't stand it now. Everyone now plays up for the camera (even more than before) and it's just insufferable "we're rich bitch!" nonsense instead of an actually interesting behind the scenes look.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
He has a few different twitter threads about it but also goes into it a bit in the first half of this video on F1TV: https://f1tv.formula1.com/detail/1000008095/tech-talk-2024-tech-first-look

Basically, they're using more or less the same weird engine cover shape of the W14 and a similar vertical inlet, which combined with the new cooling ducts above the driver could allow them to remove the pods completely in an update, which seems to be the expectation at least from what everyone is hearing.
I just don't really understand how that would work for them. If they remove the sidepods they will lose the advantage of the downash/undercut concept they've built up over the past two years and that in combination with their suspension has given them great downforce levels. Also as was talked about above, Mercedes had to squeeze their fuel tanks up and stretch them out along the car in order to get the body slim enough. Red Bull still has everything pushed as far back as possible, more than anyone else on the grid, how would they package the fuel cells with a zero pod concept?

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first couple seasons of DTS. Can't stand it now. Everyone now plays up for the camera (even more than before) and it's just insufferable "we're rich bitch!" nonsense instead of an actually interesting behind the scenes look.
As someone who has also stopped watching recent seasons... this one hasn't been too bad. 4-5 eps in so far.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I just watch the episodes that look interesting to me. This season was better than the last 2, but it was still about 50% skipable imo.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
damn if they had a little more time to work on DTS they could've just swapped out the last minutes of Episode 6 from Lewis extending with Mercedes to him signing with Ferrari and the episode would take on a totally different meaning while not losing anything. It's almost a more fitting end to the episode considering how miserable Lewis looks throughout the thing.

Had we not already known he's moving to Ferrari, this episode with him saying how "inspiring" it was to see Alonso's decision with Aston working out, and all that "leap of faith" stuff would've probably put the speculation into full gear again

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
When does the Thai lawyer appointed by the Thai majority shareholders get back from his oddly timed vacation?

Were they hoping it'd just blow over?

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
damn if they had a little more time to work on DTS they could've just swapped out the last minutes of Episode 6 from Lewis extending with Mercedes to him signing with Ferrari and the episode would take on a totally different meaning while not losing anything. It's almost a more fitting end to the episode considering how miserable Lewis looks throughout the thing.

Had we not already known he's moving to Ferrari, this episode with him saying how "inspiring" it was to see Alonso's decision with Aston working out, and all that "leap of faith" stuff would've probably put the speculation into full gear again

Yeah I kind of prefer the episode the way it is. Toto just smiling at the camera saying "Lewis in red just wouldn't work". And then having that all happen these last few weeks. My god.

You have to wonder how long it was in the works. He was clearly very unhappy there and at least in that episode seemed checked out knowing they wouldn't listen to him.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I kind of prefer the episode the way it is. Toto just smiling at the camera saying "Lewis in red just wouldn't work". And then having that all happen these last few weeks. My god.

You have to wonder how long it was in the works. He was clearly very unhappy there and at least in that episode seemed checked out knowing they wouldn't listen to him.
I'll just quote myself from earlier in the thread:

Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of the negotiations but, unless I've missed something obvious (which could be likely!), it does make me wonder whether there was an attempt to get Hamilton into the Ferrari this season but the complexity of it meant he was pretty much forced to sign with Mercedes, hence the protracted negotiations and break clause for when the Ferrari deal finally got sorted.

I know Sainz is contracted for this season but let's be honest, if the cheques big enough they're not worth the paper they're written on.

#conspiracytheory

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Crossing fingers this season isn't gonna be as predictable as the testing indicated. Just doesn't seem like there's any unexpected elements - at least last year we had alonso martin trading blows with some big boy teams at the sharp end for half a season which was really fun.

incredibly depressing that alpine has only managed to go backwards, an absolute joke of a works team.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Rawe Ceek.

I think our only hope is the earlier DRS activation but then the RB is just going sail back past again. Maybe Ferrari need to pull a Trulli-train on Verstappen.

Oct 28, 2017
Crossing fingers this season isn't gonna be as predictable as the testing indicated. Just doesn't seem like there's any unexpected elements - at least last year we had alonso martin trading blows with some big boy teams at the sharp end for half a season which was really fun.

incredibly depressing that alpine has only managed to go backwards, an absolute joke of a works team.

Many teams will still be super close and Checo did not seem impressive at all. Combined with Verstappen saying the new car handles even more to his liking I think Perez is going to have an even harder time than last year.

Nobody will beat Verstappen in a straight fight unless there is some crazy development, but behind him there should be plenty of action.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I hope we get at least one or two races where Verstappen's engine goes kaput and the rest of the field gets to battle for a win. He didn't have a single retirement last year and only finished outside of the top 2 in one race.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get at least one or two races where Verstappen's engine goes kaput and the rest of the field gets to battle for a win. He didn't have a single retirement last year and only finished outside of the top 2 in one race.
I had a dream this weekend that Max only qualified 4th and then his MGU-K stopped charging his engine properly so he couldn't recover.

At least I have that for when reality hits me in the face this weekend!

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Mechanical retirements are whack though. No one should be pulling out of the race due to 'pot luck' so to speak.

We just need RBR to have a few stinker circuits like Singapore last year.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
The fact that Ferrari and Mercedes seem to have fixed the fundamental flaws holding them back last year is very positive. If Max and RBR are somehow capable of putting together flawless weekends then fair play to them, but I'm hopeful that Ferrari can be factor this year more than they they were last year. Better tyre deg last year would have seen them challenge for many more wins, even with the second fastest car.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like our only hope is the RB being impacted by mechanical gremlins in their new cooling setup

Hope the others are competitive.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
So it was interesting to note that the FIA's new clothing brand is that well known fashion house... Alpha Tauri.

Race OP coming soon.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
So it was interesting to note that the FIA's new clothing brand is that well known fashion house... Alpha Tauri.

Race OP coming soon.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it had been AT for the last few years at least, and that they had renewed the contract this season.

Edit: nevermind, seems their existing partnership was with F1 proper, they've just extended that now to include the FIA as well.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
When will reality set in FP1, FP2, FP3, Quali or the race? I only have a limited amount of hopium.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
When will reality set in FP1, FP2, FP3, Quali or the race? I only have a limited amount of hopium.
kjY0td2.gif

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that Ferrari and Mercedes seem to have fixed the fundamental flaws holding them back last year is very positive. If Max and RBR are somehow capable of putting together flawless weekends then fair play to them, but I'm hopeful that Ferrari can be factor this year more than they they were last year. Better tyre deg last year would have seen them challenge for many more wins, even with the second fastest car.
The real loser amidst this hope among Merc/Ferrari is Perez. I can see a case for him being 4th/5th in the WDC standings if things don't shake out as hoped.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Oh yeahhhh baby, a fresh new RAWE CEEK on the horizon. Love to see it.

Where will Hamilton finish? 6th, 5th, 4th, maybe 3rd?? Only can only dream of a podium at this point with this Merc.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
The real loser amidst this hope among Merc/Ferrari is Perez. I can see a case for him being 4th/5th in the WDC standings if things don't shake out as hoped.
furrowing my brow extra hard for Perez to be gone and Danny Ric to graduate in for two reasons:
  • one way or another, we can finally put to bed if Daniel is washed or not
  • opens the door for Liam Lawson to get that spot he earned last year at Alpha Tauri
I suspect whatever "Daniel to RB if he proves himself" plans were in place may have been royally derailed by the Hamilton to Ferrari fuckery. I'd take Sainz to RB over Danny any day.

edit - and by RB I mean Red Bull, not VCARB. Man that new name sucks. What a confusing mess.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Unless RB have as big a difference and as good a car as last season then I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Perez scraping into the top 5 by the end of the year if he's lucky.

I mean realistically the Ferraris, Mercedes & McLarens could all be putting up a much stronger fight this season.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
My pre race 1 prediction for the season: Perez out, Ricciardo in the RBR, Lawson in the RB by the time they get back from summer break.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
As usual I won't write off Checo in the immediate and hope for a competitive season for all of them. More fun that way instead of just hoping for F1 musical chairs before the season has even started already.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
The interesting bit is Wednesday is media day, so if it's not announced tomorrow it'll be after he's arrived in Bahrain from the UK.

Getting some real Alpine firing Otmar during a race weekend vibes.

Oct 28, 2017
I would be surprised if he survives this. 100 pages on what he did doesn't sound good at all and the feeling around the paddock seemed to be he was done.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Unless it's 100 pages of mostly "why he couldn't have done it"

Even then, I cynically expect corporate interests to hold over doing the right thing so I'm expecting he'll remain in his position even if the evidence is compelling. At least that way I can only be pleasantly surprised.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Even if Red Bull fire him, I believe he'll find his way back into the sport eventually. Especially if the report isn't released publicly. Horner's only 6 years older than Vowles - the youngest TP - and he's by far the most experienced. Once "this all blows over" (which depressingly, it often does) there's almost certainly gonna be teams interested in hiring him. If they fire him.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Red Bull fire him, I believe he'll find his way back into the sport eventually. Especially if the report isn't released publicly. Horner's only 6 years older than Vowles - the youngest TP - and he's by far the most experienced. Once "this all blows over" (which depressingly, it often does) there's almost certainly gonna be teams interested in hiring him. If they fire him.

Yeah unless he just wants to take his money and fuck off, you can bet other teams will want to hire him regardless, as bad as that is. Stroll for example, I feel would have no issues hiring him at AMR if My Crack doesn't make progress.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
If Horner is sacked I'm most interested in what F1 and FIA will and won't say about it as a reaction.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah unless he just wants to take his money and fuck off, you can beat other teams will want to hire him regardless, as bad as that is. Stroll for example, I feel would have no issues hiring him at AMR if My Crack doesn't make progress.

I could see it. They have the Honda engine partnership, which Horner has history with. Thinking cynically, if the rumours are true about their contracts being tied together, even Newey could be in play.

Oct 28, 2017

In time for sure, but not immediately at least. It'll be a few years I imagine. If he gets fired it is most definitely because of external pressure from FOM and sponsors, it isn't because RB have suddenly decided they are a team that is more than average socially conscious and will fire a top employee for even a small transgression others would find mild.

Meaning sponsors at other teams (and FOM in general) would still find whatever he did to be too much.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
If Cyril's coming back then we need Renault to "officially" come back and bring that sweet black and yellow livery with them.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Personally I don't think he'll go unless it's something really, really bad. I think at most there'll be a public mea culpa and a statement from the board about how lessons have been learnt.

As irritating as he can be he's incredibly instrumental in the success of RB and keeping the likes of Newey and Verstappen sweet and I'm sure the team are well aware of that.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
Red Bull is gonna dominate, but the rest of the field should be fun again. I'm wondering how McLaren is going to look early on, they didn't seem too happy after testing.