2030 engine regulations should...

• more battery, more harvesting, more more more

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • the full Domenicali. No hybrid, no turbo. Smaller lighter cars.

Votes: 36 36.4%
  • The half domenicali. No hybrid, keep the turbos. Smaller lighter cars.

Votes: 52 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
GM and Andretti have gotten the US congress to send a letter to FOM/Liberty about the entry rejection, citing antitrust laws:

View: https://x.com/sahilkapur/status/1785669379520123277?s=61

This could get interesting. They are requesting a response from Liberty by Friday.

Good. I'm no anti-trust law expert or anything so I have absolutely no idea how much chance of success it would have, but if needed I'd be more than glad to see Andretti to take this to court. It's beyond obvious that the current 10 teams don't want an 11th team for selfish reasons, even if that new team fits all the criteria and would boost the sport.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

froday

Jul 29, 2018
This Adrian Newey news is massive, can't wait to see how the pieces all fall

Pretty solid run by Redbull, now we can see if the rest of the engineering team can pick up the slack.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The most impressive thing about Senna, for me, was not his incredible talent and speed, but that he was telling people he was seeing God while going through the corners in a Formula 1 car and people really believed him like he was saying water is wet.

Also, the fact that we never got a proper title fight between him and Schumacher makes me sad.

Imola 1994 was indeed one of the worst weekend in motorsport history. Terrible.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Eddie Jordan popping up out of nowhere like a former TV series regular appearing in an unexpected cameo.

The off-track action has been 🔥

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Could you imagine going from working with Red Bull to seeing Lance Stroll driving in your car? Fucking hell, I'd stab my eyes out with a fork if that happened to me.
A Motorsport.com article stated that he was worried about Aston using his name to prop up the teams value and then selling it off to the Saudis - although I'm not sure what their sources are.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Frankly all I want from this weekend is for Ted to ask Lewis about the Newey news and gor him to sit there with the biggest shittiest eatingiest grin on his face and say "no comment".

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Is there no deal to be made with HAAS or Alpine for Andretti? I just think a Haas Andretti team would be a stronger bet for both brands and teams.

So Adrien Newey is going to Ferrari to join Lewis right? No wonder there was so much joy in Lewis doing all those donuts on 5th Avenue. 😀

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/Zd1uTF7iG8c?si=XnitHd3WnYTHF37T

www.cbsnews.com

Formula 1 champ Lewis Hamilton on driving his F1 car in NYC: "It's a huge, huge deal."

The eye-catching stunt was part of a promotional effort to spotlight the partnership between Hamilton's Mercedes F1 team and WhatsApp.

Red Fred Redemption indeed if this comes to fruition .

Apparently they asked them not to do any donuts lol. But the street is so narrow wtf is he supposed to do

"I was told not to do donuts," he admitted. "I heard that the mayor had asked us not to do it. But it was very short. And if I'd just driven up, firstly, I don't have very good turning in this thing. So, you can't do, like, an easy U-turn. So I had to do donuts. But that also creates a spectacle, and I think that gets people energized."

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there no deal to be made with HAAS or Alpine for Andretti? I just think a Haas Andretti team would be a stronger bet for both brands and teams.

Apparently they asked them not to do any donuts lol. But the street is so narrow wtf is he supposed to do

Haas is in bed with Ferrari and doesn't even build their own car or have a manufacturing facility in the US. Andretti just opened a massive facility at Silverstone, has a major campus in the US and is bringing GM into the sport.

Oct 28, 2017

Gene Haas seems pretty hellbent on not selling even a part of his team. He has apperantly turned down offers close to a billion.

Alpine I think is a no sell since they are always going to use Renault power units and Andretti wants to come in with GM. Buying Renault completely is probably more likely, but the whole Andretti plan is based on them using their own facilities, not something bought from someone else. So I don't think it actually makes sense for them.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
It's Ferrari or retirement. Even if it is Ferrari, perhaps it's a very different technical role to that of any other person going an F1 team. Less hands on etc. Newey has done it all and has nothing to prove, he'll dictate his next move and what it looks like.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bonus Eddie Jordan content!

www.youtube.com

NEWEY NEWS! | Eddie Jordan and David Coulthard REACT to Adrian Newey's Red Bull exit

After days of speculation, on Wednesday it was announced that Adrian Newey will be leaving Red Bull in 2025. Arguably the greatest F1 designer of all-time, i...

Spolier - nothing is really revealed - the main thing Eddie says is that Newey has been under pressure for 20+ years and so may well take a break. IMHO that's a fence sitting ploy to try and drive the price up but who knows.

I hadn't realised they went cycling together nearly every day in the off season.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't need a deal with another team. The teams shouldn't be scared of outsiders coming in and stealing their milk money, and if you pitch yourself as the pinnacle of the sport you shouldn't be a closed shop

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I understand that it's too late for Newey / Alonso now. By the time he gets the car right Alonso will probably retire.
Not sure if posted, but good god, this is a swing and a miss.

www.racefans.net

Ferrari's red-and-blue Miami Grand Prix livery revealed

Ferrari have unveiled the special livery they will run this weekend in Miami incorporating shades of blue alongside the usual red.
I like the stripe but expected much more. Seems to me they were afraid to do more blue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I understand that it's too late for Newey / Alonso now. By the time he gets the car right Alonso will probably retire.

I like the stripe but expected much more. Seems to me they were afraid to do more blue.
Honestly, I'm interested to see how long he carries on. If AM managed to make a good car to pair with the Honda PU I could see him staying longer than people might expect. If they are shit out of the gate I could see him calling it a day though.

bremen

Sep 22, 2020
Honestly, I'm interested to see how long he carries on. If AM managed to make a good car to pair with the Honda PU I could see him staying longer than people might expect. If they are shit out of the gate I could see him calling it a day though.
In line with what RedBull do with one of their "special " liveries though.

Raceweek 6 Miami
OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
FIA F1 2024 |OT| There's Newey time like the present - Raceweek 6 Miami - 3-5 May #SillySeasonContinues

It's Raceweek 6 in Miami. Info stolen from https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2024/Miami.html

Sunday-at-Miami-GPSI202305072681_hires_jpeg_24bit_rgb.jpg

2024-f1-standings-after-Round-5-chinese-gp.jpg

Miami_Circuit.png

Lap Record - 1:29:708 Max Verstappen (2023)

2023 pole - Charles Leclerc
2022 pole - Sergio Perez
2021 pole - Did not exist yet

Last race classification
FvjhZ73WAAEAWf5.jpg

Last Race
www.youtube.com

Race Highlights | 2023 Miami Grand Prix

Checo Perez started on pole, his team mate and rival Max Verstappen in 9th. Catch up on all the key moments as we took the F1 party back to Miami.For more F1...

2003 Grand Prix Highlights
youtu.be

Race Highlights | 2003 United States Grand Prix | Extended Highlights

As we approach Miami, let's take a moment to revisit the exciting moments from another race in the USA - the 2003 United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis. K...

When
Practice -
Countdown May 3, 2024 at 12:30 PM

Sprint Qualifying -
Countdown May 3, 2024 at 4:30 PM

Sprint -
Countdown May 4, 2024 at 12:00 PM

Qualifying -
Countdown May 4, 2024 at 4:00 PM

Race -
Countdown May 5, 2024 at 4:00 PM

Listen
Missed Apex - Spanners and a rotating band of guests discuss the events of F1
open.spotify.com

F1 Transfer Madness

Listen to this episode from Missed Apex Formula 1 Podcast on Spotify. Spanners and Trumpets are joined by Alex “Jeansy” Vangeen and F1 media breakout star Antonia Rankin as they get down to the brassiest of tacks with the latest news blast. From Newey’s potential notice to Hulkenberg’s hasta la...

Formula for Success - David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan with occasional guests. News, discussion, and stories of days gone by
open.spotify.com

Monaco royalty & where is Adrian Newey going next?

Listen to this episode from Formula For Success on Spotify. Pierre Casiraghi is Monaco royalty. Literally. Son of Princess Caroline, grandson of Grace Kelly and nephew of Prince Albert. He’s also a world class sailor and this week’s guest on FFS! He invited Eddie to his château in France to talk...

Beyond The Grid - Tom interviews F1 people past and present
open.spotify.com

Ayrton Senna remembered by Bruno Senna

Listen to this episode from F1: Beyond The Grid on Spotify. 30 years since his death at Imola on 1st May 1994, Ayrton Senna’s legacy is still felt around the world. Brazil’s three-time Formula 1 World Champion continues to inspire today’s generation of racing drivers and fans. To Bruno Senna...

Shift+F1 - Drew Scanlon, Danny O'Dwyer and Rob Zacny discuss F1
open.spotify.com

267 - Miami GP Prerace 2024

Listen to this episode from Shift+F1: A Formula 1 Podcast on Spotify. An imminent departure, driver market movement, and Indy intrigue… it’s all kicking off ahead of Miami! SHOW NOTES The Verge’s article about the Autonomous Racing League has some choice GIFs Trailer for Netflix’s Senna...

Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I think the moment AM sign a younger talent and Alonso stops being the fastest he won't stay for long.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Since it is the 30th anniversary or Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger's death this week, I would really really highly muchly suggest anyone who is new to the sport, or who simply hasn't seen it to watch Grand Prix: The Killer Years. Frankly everyone should rewatch it.

View: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7onslp

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

Damon Hill famously never won at Monaco, the closest he came was in 96 when he was 30 seconds in the lead and his engine failed
Leclerc is in great company then.

Since it is the 30th anniversary or Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger's death this week, I would really really highly muchly suggest anyone who is new to the sport, or who simply hasn't seen it to watch Grand Prix: The Killer Years. Frankly everyone should rewatch it.

View: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7onslp

Tough watch, but great recommendation.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think the moment AM sign a younger talent and Alonso stops being the fastest he won't stay for long.

Honda keen to continue a relationship with Tsunoda in F1 beyond 2026. So is that Stroll out or Alonso hanging up his boots? Or will they be providing engines to another team maybe?

Will they be in F1 long enough anyway

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Honda keen to continue a relationship with Tsunoda in F1 beyond 2026. So is that Stroll out or Alonso hanging up his boots? Or will they be providing engines to another team maybe?

Will they be in F1 long enough anyway
The problem is that with 6 engine manufacturers on the grid there are limited opportunities to get a second customer. RBPT will be able to blow up 4 engines per session because they will obviously put them in RB2, so all you have left is Haas, Williams and Mclaren as non works teams and they are all sticking with Mercedes and Ferrari which makes perfect sense for a new set of engine regulations. Mercedes have a a slight advantage on the engine side as they'll have 6 cars feeding them data.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
All this Max to Mercedes talk. Why wouldn't he, Helmut and Lambiase go to Aston, where he can drive with Honda engines again and with his friend Fernando? Because let's face it, those Ford engines of the Red Bull will be sucky sucky if all those rumors are to believed.

Anyway, Red Bull will become a mediocre team without Newey, Max and with Ford.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
GM and Andretti have gotten the US congress to send a letter to FOM/Liberty about the entry rejection, citing antitrust laws:

View: https://x.com/sahilkapur/status/1785669379520123277?s=61

This could get interesting. They are requesting a response from Liberty by Friday.
Andretti's rejection didn't hinge on them being American, however, just the current teams not wanting to dilute the prize/merchandising money, right?

It's a private club wanting to keep a membership cap.

I think not admitting more teams is bad for the health of the sport and hate it but anti-trust is an unusual line of attack here.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Andretti's rejection didn't hinge on them being American, however, just the current teams not wanting to dilute the prize/merchandising money, right?

It's a private club wanting to keep a membership cap.

I think not admitting more teams is bad for the health of the sport and hate it but anti-trust is an unusual line of attack here.

if you don't want to use the app store just don't buy an iphone? At what point does a 'private' thing become a monopoly or controlling the market? I'd argue F1 absolutely does that - all the feeder channels are heavily aligned with the FIA right from a junior level. It should be more open and the teams should absolutely fuck right off. They all have very selective memory it seems too

Oct 28, 2017
All this Max to Mercedes talk. Why wouldn't he, Helmut and Lambiase go to Aston, where he can drive with Honda engines again and with his friend Fernando? Because let's face it, those Ford engines of the Red Bull will be sucky sucky if all those rumors are to believed.

Anyway, Red Bull will become a mediocre team without Newey, Max and with Ford.

I really doubt Max is leaving for 2025. Red Bull still has the best car and Mercedes is not giving any confidence right now.

He'll probably take 2025 as well and then either leave in for 2026 if a good spot opens or 2027 after he can see which teams look strong in the new regulations.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
if you don't want to use the app store just don't buy an iphone? At what point does a 'private' thing become a monopoly or controlling the market? I'd argue F1 absolutely does that - all the feeder channels are heavily aligned with the FIA right from a junior level. It should be more open and the teams should absolutely fuck right off. They all have very selective memory it seems too
Oh you won't find me defending the teams' decision. I think it's a bad one for the health of the sport as I said.

I just don't see it being an anti-trust issue (but I'm not a lawyer so what do I know?). Comparison to iPhone/appstores ain't it however - F1 isn't a consumer product or platform but a sport. Sporting federations can set rules on how entrants qualify.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I really doubt Max is leaving for 2025. Red Bull still has the best car and Mercedes is not giving any confidence right now.

He'll probably take 2025 as well and then either leave in for 2026 if a good spot opens or 2027 after he can see which teams look strong in the new regulations.
Except he has a contract until 2028 and I'm sure that exit clause isn't indefinite. He either leaves now or he stays. And there's way too many question marks over Red Bull now. First of they lost Newey. Then they lost their championship engine and their RBT/Ford is a big ass questionmark compared to the stable Mercedes. Then there's all the other design talent that Red Bull lost to (mostly) Aston Martin as well as several other key talent. The only thing still tying him to that team is Helmut Marko and given his age and diminishing control over Red Bull, that's not going to be too huge a factor.

If either Aston or Mercedes comes knocking, I'd give them a listen right away.

Oct 28, 2017
Except he has a contract until 2028 and I'm sure that exit clause isn't indefinite. He either leaves now or he stays. And there's way too many question marks over Red Bull now. First of they lost Newey. Then they lost their championship engine and their RBT/Ford is a big ass questionmark compared to the stable Mercedes. Then there's all the other design talent that Red Bull lost to (mostly) Aston Martin as well as several other key talent. The only thing still tying him to that team is Helmut Marko and given his age and diminishing control over Red Bull, that's not going to be too huge a factor.

If either Aston or Mercedes comes knocking, I'd give them a listen right away.

If the rumors are to be believed he is allowed to leave if Marko is no longer at the team because they put a special clause in his contract. If Max tells Marko he wants to get out, I think Marko would leave for him and make that possible. They are loyal to each other as we saw just a few months ago, when Marko said he was on his way to get pushed out of the team and Max backed him publicly over Horner and more or less said he would leave as well in that case. And then suddenly Marko was not getting pushed out any more.

But Marko is 81 now and in a team that seems halfway to falling apart. If he can stick it to Horner and let Max leave because of his actions, I think he would probably love that. So basically I think Max can leave whenever he wants.