• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Renault (according to their figures) are 7-13bhp behind Mercedes / Ferrari and 27-40bhp in front of Honda in race trim. Cyril says the engine is good enough to fight for poles, wins and the championship.

He's convinced they'll catch Mercedes and Ferrari next year, maybe even surpass them.

Amus.

Cagefaceofflaughing.gif

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Renault (according to their figures) are 7-13bhp behind Mercedes / Ferrari and 27-40bhp in front of Honda in race trim. Cyril says the engine is good enough to fight for poles, wins and the championship.

He's convinced they'll catch Mercedes and Ferrari next year, maybe even surpass them.

Amus.

Cagefaceofflaughing.gif
It's funny how Abiteboul can be so realistic about the team's aero/chassis deficit but then comes up with these pointless fantasy numbers for their engine deficit.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Cyril has left himself open to ridicule there - but thats nothing compared to accepting engine penalties left right and centre just to develop the powerplant for your parent team..

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
the year is 2082, and the reanimated corpse of kimi raikkonen agrees to a new 2 year deal to drive for ferrari alongside his grandson, robin raikkonen junior
Anything is possible lol

pQZGEz6l.jpg

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Hey you know what? I wouldn't mind if Kimi is around for 2 more years...
Haha I still remember when he was on the news after his first retirement in F1 for falling from a boat completely drunk and I was like "He's never gonna be in F1 ever again" and here we are lol. How can you not like him?

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
So... I'm following this journalist on Twitter (he works for Fox Sports Brazil) and a few minutes ago he posted "man... so many things changing in so many places! Tomorrow will be a fun day". Then another journalist questioned him "some rumor saying that something can happen, or is it just because Dixon has that press conference tomorrow and because Alonso twitted about some announcement next Tuesday?". The Fox guy answered: "I'd say that it is more than a rumor now".

EDIT: after that he posted "tomorrow the pieces of this McLaren Ganassi jigsaw puzzle with Dixon and Alonso, plus Rosenqvist will start to be revealed".

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Hey you know what? I wouldn't mind if Kimi is around for 2 more years...
Haha I still remember when he was on the news after his first retirement in F1 for falling from a boat completely drunk and I was like "He's never gonna be in F1 ever again" and here we are lol. How can you not like him?
Kimi is finally doing well after some very bad years. Of course it helps that he probably has the strongest package right now. But I'd prefer to see younger drivers get the chance.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a shame Ferrari never gave Alonso a car as good as they have this year. I'm confident he would be over 30 points ahead of Hamilton at this point.

So much talent wasted in that pit of despair called McLaren.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Kimi is finally doing well after some very bad years. Of course it helps that he probably has the strongest package right now. But I'd prefer to see younger drivers get the chance.
He's just consistent, but underwhelming in his consistence. No poles, no wins, in a car that has 4 wins and 5 poles, while even both Red Bull drivers have managed to steal wins. He's on the podium a lot, but that's about what you'd expect from that team when there are no huge mistakes/issues. He wasn't really robbed of wins like Bottas either.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
He's just consistent, but underwhelming in his consistence. No poles, no wins, in a car that has 4 wins and 5 poles, while even both Red Bull drivers have managed to steal wins. He's on the podium a lot, but that's about what you'd expect from that team when there are no huge mistakes/issues. He wasn't really robbed of wins like Bottas either.

He has been somewhat compromised on strategy at times to allow Ferrari to cover all bases but I'm sure he'd find that happening a lot less if he were able to outperform Vettel more consistently through practice and qualifying.

Oct 25, 2017
Its a shame Ferrari never gave Alonso a car as good as they have this year. I'm confident he would be over 30 points ahead of Hamilton at this point.

So much talent wasted in that pit of despair called McLaren.
What is with this revisionist history stating that Ferrari never gave Alonso a good car? If I remember right both the 2010 and 2012 cars were pretty good. If he didn't crash out in Spa in 2010 and get caught behind Webber he would've won and I believe he just got cosmically fucked in 2012. Though if I remember right the 2012 car started off like shit and he pretty much had to out drive the package, which he did and was leading the championship by like 40 points at one point. Now the 2014 car was just dog shit and I don't remember what he had to work with in 2013. This is almost like saying Hamlton didn't get good cars at McLaren (he didn't get the proper support or management in my opinion...plus reliability woes...and just mentally had it in 2011).

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also it's kind of Alonso's own fault for not being in Vettel's seat right now. He was given decent cars, made the best out of them, put up an incredible fight, but decided the grass would be greener elsewhere, and was unfortunate to join a clueless McLaren team.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
What is with this revisionist history stating that Ferrari never gave Alonso a good car? If I remember right both the 2010 and 2012 cars were pretty good. If he didn't crash out in Spa in 2010 and get caught behind Webber he would've won and I believe he just got cosmically fucked in 2012. Though if I remember right the 2012 car started off like shit and he pretty much had to out drive the package, which he did and was leading the championship by like 40 points at one point. Now the 2014 car was just dog shit and I don't remember what he had to work with in 2013. This is almost like saying Hamlton didn't get good cars at McLaren (he didn't get the proper support or management in my opinion...plus reliability woes...and just mentally had it in 2011).
2010: The Red Bulls had 15 poles that year (before DRS, which I imagine made track position quite important) and the car was only a regular on the podium in the second half of the season. The closeness of the championship was really down to mistakes by Red Bull.
2012: Again, only 2 pole positions for Ferrari so it was an uphill battle in the races (despite his sizeable lead halfway through the season). It's put into perspective because Massa only had 2 podiums while Alonso had 10 podiums and 3 wins. That's what you would expect from a "best of the rest" team, not a championship contender.

Oct 25, 2017
Also it's kind of Alonso's own fault for not being in Vettel's seat right now. He was given decent cars, made the best out of them, put up an incredible fight, but decided the grass would be greener elsewhere, and was unfortunate to join a clueless McLaren team.
Alonso did a reverse Hamilton, it's pretty much his own damn fault for also being a toxic as fuck person behind the scenes. Hamilton can be a primadonna yes, they all are, but I honestly consider Alonso to be on a wholenuthalevel with that shit.
2010: The Red Bulls had 15 poles that year (before DRS, which I imagine made track position quite important) and the car was only a regular on the podium in the second half of the season. The closeness of the championship was really down to mistakes by Red Bull.
2012: Again, only 2 pole positions for Ferrari so it was an uphill battle in the races (despite his sizeable lead halfway through the season). It's put into perspective because Massa only had 2 podiums while Alonso had 10 podiums and 3 wins. That's what you would expect from a "best of the rest" team, not a championship contender.
Red Bull suffered from ...first you have to finish and Vettel making some mistakes if I remember right, but getting people off guard is how you sneak in a championship. Also 2010 was close in my opinion. If you get rid of like one DNF from Alonso or Hamilton then they would've gotten that one. 2012 in my opinion honestly should have went to Hamilton, but we all know what happened there. I think both him and Alonso did some of the best driving of their careers in that year. Alonso got shafted on the track and Hamilton got shafted in the pits.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
That car was 3rd - 4th, everyone was talking about how Fernando overdrove those cars. Look at Massa, he got almost the same results as in Williams, look at Kimi, he was nowhere and now is constantly. fighting for podiums. The Ferrari Alonso was driving was at least a whole tier below the car Vettel is driving.
Correct. Alonso never learnt to keep his mouth shut, he could have left Ferrari but keep the door open to return now. But no he has to be a dick, throw the whole team under the bus and make everyone hate him. Ferrari door is closed, Honda hate him too so zero chance of replacing Ric (plus Horner wouln't want his toxic character there). Diplomacy skill: -10.

Alonso did a reverse Hamilton, it's pretty much his own damn fault for also being a toxic as fuck person behind the scenes. Hamilton can be a primadonna yes, they all are, but I honestly consider Alonso to be on a wholenuthalevel with that shit.
Hamilton can be a whiner but he supports his team and they have great relations, even after losing to Nico in 2016, he stayed with the team knowing there are still titles to get. Alonso is stubborn. He is by far the driver I have mostly rooted for all these years watching F1, he was my hero who beat MSC, the young talent who impressed everyone driving a Minardi. But still one of the most stubborn drivers on the grid. If he wasn't the great driver he is, he would be long gone from the sport.

Oct 25, 2017
That car was 3rd - 4th, everyone was talking about how Fernando overdrove those cars. Look at Massa, he got almost the same results as in Williams, look at Kimi, he was nowhere and now is constantly. fighting for podiums. The Ferrari Alonso was driving was at least a whole tier below the car Vettel is driving.

Correct. Alonso never learnt to keep his mouth shut, he could have left Ferrari but keep the door open to return now. But no he has to be a dick, throw the whole team under the bus and make everyone hate him. Ferrari door is closed, Honda hate him too so zero chance of replacing Ric (plus Horner wouln't want his toxic character there). Diplomacy skill: -10.
Yes I think I did acknowledge that he was a miracle worker that year. Also Massa isn't and has never really been a great benchmark, especially after his crash. Also yeah Kimi being on the podium with the current car does show just how good the current Ferrari is. Alonso would be the worst politician in a Civilization game.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think you misunderstood my post.

I said "as good as they have this year" meaning having the best car on the grid by some margin.

Alonso NEVER got a car close to being that good, at the best of times (2012) it was still behind the Red Bull and McLaren.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you misunderstood my post.

I said "as good as they have this year" meaning having the best car on the grid by some margin.

Alonso NEVER got a car close to being that good, at the best of times (2012) it was still behind the Red Bull and McLaren.
This makes more sense. Ferrari haven't made the best car since 2008. And Ferrari have the best car and Vettel has dropped the ball with it numerous times this year, it's just...weird.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I don't think it's happening, if IndyCar is sitting on that kind of info, they wouldn't spoil it in a jokey tweet. The Dixon announcement today was just a contract extension with his current team.

Last edited:

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

Should be within a few hours, per Adam Stern of the Sports Business Journal.

Stern said last night chatter in IndyCar paddock was it might just be Indy 500-related, but we shall see soon.

The other folks on the IndyCar beat seem to be NDAed on the whole thing.

Last edited:

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
BREAKING: Alonso will participate in next years Indycar championship with last years F1 car because he just hasn't suffered enough yet.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

"After 17 wonderful years in this amazing sport, it's time for me to make a change and move on. I have enjoyed every single minute of those incredible seasons and I cannot thank enough the people who have contributed to make them all so special.

"There are still several grands prix to go this season, and I will take part in them with more commitment and passion than ever.

"Let's see what the future brings; new exciting challenges are around the corner. I'm having one of the happiest times ever in my life but I need to go on exploring new adventures.

"I want to thank everyone at McLaren. My heart is with the team forever. I know they will come back stronger and better in the future and it could be the right moment for me to be back in the series; that would make me really happy. I have built so many great relationships with many fantastic people at McLaren, and they have given me the opportunity to broaden my horizons and race in other categories. I feel I am a more complete driver now than ever.

"I made this decision some months ago and it was a firm one. Nevertheless, I would like to sincerely thank Chase Carey and Liberty Media for the efforts made to change my mind and everyone who has contacted me during this time.

"Finally, I would also like to thank my former teams, team-mates, competitors, colleagues, partners, journalists and everyone I have worked with in my F1 career. And, especially, my fans all over the world. I am quite sure our paths will cross again in the future."

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Well there it is. If McLaren was worth their name nowadays, this would be a huge bomb, but in the current situation it's just an expected end to a bad career move (that paid well though).

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully he does a full Indy season. It would be great to see how well he does in those care over the course of a season.

Dutch

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Poor guy should have had at least 3 championships.

Too bad Ferrari and Mclaren are both shit.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Vandoorne will be in the car next year. Especially with rumours of both Sainz and Ocon being courted by McLaren. Unless they are only being considered for Fernandos seat.
Grabbing both of them would be a great achievement for McLaren. I think the main question is can Ocon retain his Force India seat, because moving to McLaren would be a big downgrade.