• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Jacques Villeneuve?

Schumacher would have had that championship if he didn't have a meltdown of epic proportions.

I'd say the 1997 Williams was head and shoulders above the competition in the first half of the year. JV was 1.7 seconds faster than his own team mate in qualifying in the first race..

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
That was a good race in the midfield. Lewis totally dominated the front and I expect the same in Austin.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's game, set, match for Lewis this year eh?

EDIT: Chadskin, I was thinking Austin....

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Ferrari have given up, they didn't even swap Kimi and Vettel.

"But Kimi would have to drive like 10 seconds slower"
So what? Look at what Mercedes did in Russia.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comparing left rear tyre temps - nerds!

And how many more times will Lewis say "shit" at 8am before they cut him off??

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say the 1997 Williams was head and shoulders above the competition in the first half of the year. JV was 1.7 seconds faster than his own team mate in qualifying in the first race..

True. The Ferrari was very strong in the second half of the season though.

At least there was this gem:

Stu5hZY_d.jpg

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MotoGP starting in a few minutes. Entertaining race probably despite the championship being in a similar situation (arguably worse with Lorenzo injured).

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Vettel saying in the germany RTL interview that MAx should have been the one with the spin and he didn't deserve to drive on (that good). Man, i'm going to keep disliking him.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
To be fair to Mercedes, when they made Bottas hand over a win they never could have predicted how badly Vettel (and Ferrari as a team, too) would choke this weekend, lol.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair to Mercedes, when they made Bottas hand over a win they never could have predicted how badly Vettel (and Ferrari as a team, too) would choke this weekend, lol.

Mercedes' insistence in not underestimating Ferrari, and explaining "it would have been a tough decision" after their strategy blunders is doing better PR for Ferrari than Ferrari themselves.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
VER pen seemed fair, should have either straight lined the chicane or slowed down enough to rejoin the track in a safer manner.

VET/VER racing incident, however that move was never on. Max had the line, Sebastian looked desperate.

Stewards on MAG/LEC incident "No driver was wholly or predominantly to blame for the incident." Bullshit! MAG with yet another late and dangerous move. Amazed that no penalty was given.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Force India would be 4th with a margin at this point. But at this rate they can't really go higher than 6th.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton's championship campaign this year has been impressive. His two weak results were a 4th place in China and a 5th place in Canada. He suffered a retirement in Austria that was purely mechanical. His remaining 14 results are all podiums. He nearly didn't put a foot wrong to compromise any of these results when all the other front runners were making plenty of mistakes. Hamilton came back from that retirement in Austria to string together eight strong performances of only wins and second places. Three of those were undeniably spectacular.

Last season it felt like Vettel was robbed of a fighting chance in the last part of the season. This year so far he enjoyed 100% perfect reliability but Hamilton overpowered him after Austria.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton's championship campaign this year has been impressive. His two weak results were a 4th place in China and a 5th place in Canada. He suffered a retirement in Austria that was purely mechanical. His remaining 14 results are all podiums. He nearly didn't put a foot wrong to compromise any of these results when all the other front runners were making plenty of mistakes. Hamilton came back from that retirement in Austria to string together eight strong performances of only wins and second places. Three of those were undeniably spectacular.

Last season it felt like Vettel was robbed of a fighting chance in the last part of the season. This year so far he enjoyed 100% perfect reliability but Hamilton overpowered him after Austria.

Early in the season Hamilton wasn't very competitive, in fact for most of the first races Bottas was Vettel's main opponent. Plus a lot of bad starts. Around halfway of the season is when he started driving very well.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Early in the season Hamilton wasn't very competitive, in fact for most of the first races Bottas was Vettel's main opponent. Plus a lot of bad starts. Around halfway of the season is when he started driving very well.

Anything to downplay Hamilton I guess, especially rewriting history.

Bottas was ahead of Hamilton only at Bahrain and China (and later Canada too I guess). Hamilton was leading the championship by the 4th race in Baku.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Australia
Blew everyone away but was robbed by a miscalculation of the VSC pit timing (not his fault, could have gone quicker if told to).

Bahrain
Solid third place after fighting back from a grid penalty (gearbox).

China
Lacked pace but still finished fourth by not making any mistakes.

Azerbaijan
Made a mistake that dropped him behind Bottas, but was still up there to be gifted the win.

Spain
Got the job done.

Monaco
A strong third place considering that Mercedes was slower than Red Bull and Ferrari.

Canada
Lacked pace and could only really hold off Raikkonen.

France
Got the job done.

Four strong, two decent and two weak performances. Surely not nearly as good as the last eight races, but it's a bit disingenuous to say he wasn't doing solid work in the beginning of the season.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
Vettel and ferrari have been a complete shit show since CEO's tragic death...

Dont know if that played a role but it suddenly makes me believe so. Seems he was key into the recent surge Ferrari had. With him going it seems a lot of people just did not perform as they should. He was keeping things in check.

Sad... because the championship ended up a joke really...

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dont know if that played a role but it suddenly makes me believe so. Seems he was key into the recent surge Ferrari had. With him going it seems a lot of people just did not perform as they should. He was keeping things in check.

I'd be very surprised if that was a factor. Personnel changes tend to not result in dramatic on-track variations so quickly. And being so senior he had very little to do with actually making them perform well on a race by race basis.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Blew everyone away but was robbed by a miscalculation of the VSC pit timing (not his fault, could have gone quicker if told to).

Bahrain
Solid third place after fighting back from a grid penalty (gearbox).

China
Lacked pace but still finished fourth by not making any mistakes.

Azerbaijan
Made a mistake that dropped him behind Bottas, but was still up there to be gifted the win.

Spain
Got the job done.

Monaco
A strong third place considering that Mercedes was slower than Red Bull and Ferrari.

Canada
Lacked pace and could only really hold off Raikkonen.

France
Got the job done.

Four strong, two decent and two weak performances. Surely not nearly as good as the last eight races, but it's a bit disingenuous to say he wasn't doing solid work in the beginning of the season.
. Hamilton is very lucky his car got the magic unicorn fart upgrade to let him win this championship.

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
VER pen seemed fair, should have either straight lined the chicane or slowed down enough to rejoin the track in a safer manner.

VET/VER racing incident, however that move was never on. Max had the line, Sebastian looked desperate.

Stewards on MAG/LEC incident "No driver was wholly or predominantly to blame for the incident." Bullshit! MAG with yet another late and dangerous move. Amazed that no penalty was given.

Absolutely 100% spot on, I couldn't believe they didn't penalise Mag.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know, a lot of mistakes from Vettel are because misjudgment, that's all on him. Hamilton and Mercedes also had mistakes this season but they are delivering when it counts (at the end of the season).

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Who ever the the strategist for Ferrari is they need to be let go. Ferrari can have the best care on the track and they will lose because of shit strategy. Qualification was a perfect example of just how shit it was.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Who ever the the strategist for Ferrari is they need to be let go. Ferrari can have the best care on the track and they will lose because of shit strategy. Qualification was a perfect example of just how shit it was.

I mean, this is not how you should manage any employees in any business. You don't just fire people for making mistakes. You work together with them to improve and get better.