• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krypta

Oct 29, 2017
Not to mention that the quali blunder actually gave Raikkonen and Vettel better conditions for their flying lap than if they'd started the session on dry tyres.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Seb and Kimi went off the track all on their own. Sure, Ferrari look dumb for going out on intermediates, but if the drivers do their jobs, then the point is moot.

Krypta

Oct 29, 2017
They had time to finish before the rain started, so the track had another 90 seconds drying time + the other 8 cars clearing away moisture. There wasn't any rain between Hamilton and Vettel's flying laps.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, this is not how you should manage any employees in any business. You don't just fire people for making mistakes. You work together with them to improve and get better.
I don't know how Ferrari dealt with this in the past, but when your team is infamous for bad strategy over the years (YEARS!), you know there has to be a change, through firing or otherwise.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Ferrari always fire people anywy so this season will be no different.

Jorav

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So so race, had Vettel taken some chill pills he'd still be in the fight. K-Mag is a peanut and needs to go. Him and Grojsean are my least liked drivers, surprisingly they are in the same team lol. Are they both confirmed for next year?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
When was the last time a Drivers Championship was won while not being the fastest car?

I can only think Schumacher, 1994.
The fairest and most objective way to answer this question is to check which years the WDC was won by a driver from a team that did not win the WDC.

The most recent is 2008 with Lewis Hamilton winning the WDC in a McLaren, a year in which Ferrari won the WCC.

Before that it was 1999 with Häkkinen winning the WDC in a McLaren, a year in which Ferrari won the WCC.

Before that it was 1994 with Schumacher winning the WDC in a Benneton, a year in which Williams won the WCC.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
The fairest and most objective way to answer this question is to check which years the WDC was won by a driver from a team that did not win the WDC.

The most recent is 2008 with Lewis Hamilton winning the WDC in a McLaren, a year in which Ferrari won the WCC.

Before that it was 1999 with Häkkinen winning the WDC in a McLaren, a year in which Ferrari won the WCC.

Before that it was 1994 with Schumacher winning the WDC in a Benneton, a year in which Williams won the WCC.

That's a fair shout.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017

McLaren would have had 2008 if their second driver was someone closer to Hamilton. But I agree that the Ferrari was stronger if Massa could get that close to Hamilton.

1999 is actually not that simple, Mika alone had 11 poles to Ferrari's combined 3, and retired in 5 races from pole. With better on-track luck and reliability, the season would have been heavily in his favor. Coulthard had even MORE retirements, and Ferrari only had a few.

Oct 25, 2017
The FIA scum banned Honda from changing Gasly's PU software after giving them the ok to do so:

"However, the FIA staff came on the grid and said," No, we were not thinking about it, so please stop using it in the race. "Since we were not convinced, Although I insisted, I had no time to start, so I had to obey the end. "(Tanabe TD)
https://www.as-web.jp/f1/417792?all

p2720738-680x51011dv7.jpg

p2720658-680x510m6ivr.jpg

p2720738

Oct 25, 2017
McLaren would have had 2008 if their second driver was someone closer to Hamilton. But I agree that the Ferrari was stronger if Massa could get that close to Hamilton.

1999 is actually not that simple, Mika alone had 11 poles to Ferrari's combined 3, and retired in 5 races from pole. With better on-track luck and reliability, the season would have been heavily in his favor. Coulthard had even MORE retirements, and Ferrari only had a few.
Those Newey McLaren's were god damn time bombs.

Oct 25, 2017
This leaves the question, can you call a car "better" just because it's faster or where's the turning point where bad reliability makes it worse?
You don't get point's for being in first for 95% of theach race if your engine explodes in the last 5%. Like the 2005 McLaren was great but unreliable. The 2012 McLaren was great but it was wasted. They were better in one area bit dog shit in another crucial area.

Oct 25, 2017
Toto's done Ocon dirty. George Russell to Williams, announcement in the next three weeks:

I work for a group of FMCG brands based in the UK and we often receive sponsorship proposal requests, both from professional entities as well as from individuals and in the past have sponsored teams in both the BTCC and FIA WEC for the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Last week, we received a sponsorship request from Blackcastle Group who are the personal management company for George Russell (and also look after Oliver Rowland who runs Blackcastle logos on his helmet), and are seemingly on the hunt for acquiring personal sponsors for him as it was quite clear from the tone of the email we received that this was a somewhat generic note being sent out to multiple companies, and simply changing the "Dear INSERT COMPANY NAME HERE" section at the beginning....

....Im not at liberty to post the full proposal document, however below is a section of verbatim copy from the accompanying email note they sent with the proposal, and its clear from the language they have used from the section I have highlighted below that it seems all but a done deal that Russell will indeed be a Williams F1 race driver in 2019 and that an official announcement should be coming in the next 2-3 weeks:

I just wanted to drop you a brief email following my contact earlier this year about a partnership opportunity with George Russell (Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One).

As previously outlined, we represent several world class racing drivers and one of those is George Russell. Apologies if you follow motorsport however, for your reference, George is currently leading Formula 2 (F1 feeder series) comfortably and has one race weekend left this year in which to cement his place in history, by winning both the F3 and F2 championships in consecutive years, a truly unbelievable feat.

On the basis of George's outstanding talent and hugely impressive performances over the last two seasons, we have a very large announcement about George that will take place in the next 3 weeks.

Our announcement will outline which F1 team George will begin his career as a primary diver for the new season (2019), making up one third of the all British contingent in Formula One, the other being Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) and Lando Norris (McLaren).

I'd like to schedule a convenient time to speak with you regarding a partnership with George and how it can be leveraged and activated to drive value for XXXXXXXXXXX.

I've attached for your reference – George Russell Partnership Proposition 2019

https://www.reddit.com/r/F1FeederSe...hint_that_george_russell_will_get_a_williams/

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Well there's still the possibility of both taking a Williams seat but that would involve a turn of events as lucky as the previous one was unlucky
- Sirotkin leaving Williams, for a TR seat?
- Mercedes willing to spend more, or cut the prices on engines more rather, to secure both seats
- Markelov's father being imprisoned for bribery (oh wait)
- No other driverproviding a better offer for the 2nd seat, not quite sure who qualifies for SL anymore, but Norris, Russel, Albon would all have a seat somewhere, Markelov could be out of the picture, De Vries is still locked to that McLaren junior program and he needs to hold to 4th spot at worse to have the needed 40pts anyway; 8pts for 7th in F2 2017, 5pts for 6th in GP3 2016, 30pts for 4th in F2 2018 and below in the ranking they don't have enough points so do the GP3 F3 junior.
There may be some wild cards, like Kubicar or others drivers having success in other series such as Hartley last year but we didn't anything so far did we?

Anyway the biggest thing would still be about Sirotkin leaving Williams which still seems like an unlikely thing at this point. I'm not sure what would be the plan in Toto's mind there, promoting Russel to a drive while promising Ocon Mercedes 2nd seat for 2020 and giving him the useless 3rd driver status for 2019? Yeah that looks... odd to say the least and awkward for everyone involved from Ocon to Toto to Bottas.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Sirotkin and Kyvat at STR would truely be hilarious.

A very Red Bull. Actually, красный бык

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Well there's still the possibility of both taking a Williams seat but that would involve a turn of events as lucky as the previous one was unlucky
- Sirotkin leaving Williams, for a TR seat?
- Mercedes willing to spend more, or cut the prices on engines more rather, to secure both seats
- Markelov's father being imprisoned for bribery (oh wait)
- No other driverproviding a better offer for the 2nd seat, not quite sure who qualifies for SL anymore, but Norris, Russel, Albon would all have a seat somewhere, Markelov could be out of the picture, De Vries is still locked to that McLaren junior program and he needs to hold to 4th spot at worse to have the needed 40pts anyway; 8pts for 7th in F2 2017, 5pts for 6th in GP3 2016, 30pts for 4th in F2 2018 and below in the ranking they don't have enough points so do the GP3 F3 junior.
There may be some wild cards, like Kubicar or others drivers having success in other series such as Hartley last year but we didn't anything so far did we?

Anyway the biggest thing would still be about Sirotkin leaving Williams which still seems like an unlikely thing at this point. I'm not sure what would be the plan in Toto's mind there, promoting Russel to a drive while promising Ocon Mercedes 2nd seat for 2020 and giving him the useless 3rd driver status for 2019? Yeah that looks... odd to say the least and awkward for everyone involved from Ocon to Toto to Bottas.

Read a rumour from Reddit today that Albon is back on the TR shortlist

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Random stats and facts time:
  • HAM: Took his 80th career pole position.
  • RAI: Equaled his best ever qualifying position at Suzuka, with 4th place.
  • Honda: First time since the 2006 Chinese GP that 2 Honda powered cars qualified inside the top 7.
  • HAM: First time since 2016 that he has won 4 consecutive races.
  • HAM: 50th win with Mercedes.
  • Mercedes: 5th straight win at Suzuka, matches Ferrari's record from 2000-2004.
  • Ferrari: First time in 11 Grand Prix that they have failed to make the podium.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Williams should be happy, they get a really good driver and a new discount from Merc. Now they only have to worry about building a solid car for 2019. ;) It would be a shame if both Lando's and George's talents were wasted by struggling teams.

Keeping fingers crossed that Ocon or Kubica will get the second seat. :)

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe Kubica is back in the game for the second seat, I just hope that he won't be outbid by Sirotkin/Markelov, I'd be fine with Ocon having a Williams seat but it's unlikely at this point. If the rumors are true he wanted only a 2019 contract (hoping to replace Bottas in 2020), Williams wanted to go beyond 2019.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
On the Beyond The Grid podcast Ocon spoke about finally being free of worry when he made it to F1. The burden was on him to fulfill a dream that his family of modest means had invested heavily into. I pictured this current scenario when he spoke about it. Like he was almost inviting misfortune with his words.

I think that Toto will make it happen at Williams.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone going to the USGP in Austin? If you are and will be in town Thursday afternoon, I've got an extra guest spot for the VIP pit walk. Pm me if you are interested in checking it out.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I hope McLaren and Williams will get their shit together next year, because I don't want Russel and Norris to continue their fight at the back end of the grid.

Oct 27, 2017
Mick Schumacher qualified in 7th, 2nd and 2nd for the three races at Hockenheim this weekend. Dan Ticktum qualified in 9th, 15th and 10th. Ticktum needs to outscore Schumacher by 50 points to win the title.

Cammington

Oct 27, 2017
On the Beyond The Grid podcast Ocon spoke about finally being free of worry when he made it to F1. The burden was on him to fulfill a dream that his family of modest means had invested heavily into. I pictured this current scenario when he spoke about it. Like he was almost inviting misfortune with his words.

I think that Toto will make it happen at Williams.

My own theory is that Ocon has been promised the second Merc seat for 2020. But that probably means missing 2019 as a reserve driver. Williams don't want someone on a one year deal and no one else will take him due to his Mercedes links

Oct 27, 2017
My own theory is that Ocon has been promised the second Merc seat for 2020. But that probably means missing 2019 as a reserve driver. Williams don't want someone on a one year deal and no one else will take him due to his Mercedes links

Zero chance he has been out and out promised anything. Things change too fast in F1 and teams are too smart for that. He's probably been promised he will have a chance at the seat or something like that, which means nothing.

Cammington

Oct 27, 2017
Zero chance he has been out and out promised anything. Things change too fast in F1 and teams are too smart for that. He's probably been promised he will have a chance at the seat or something like that, which means nothing.
He's too talented to be sitting a year out and if Toto wasn't that bothered he would have let him go.

Absolutely mad second half of the season for Mick Schumacher too. His best result before Spa was third and he's somehow destroyed the field with a race to spare.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
The timing for Ocon couldn't be worse at all - the fact Mercedes are pulling out of DTM means they cant give him that carrot on the stick.

Makes me think that they might just ditch Bottas at the end of the year for him. Certainly I think Ocon would do a better job getting closer to Lewis