• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I don't even know what to say lol. The man was "sponsorless" and still had a seat? This guy has to have dirt on somebody or he's secretly funneling money to the team.
MP Motorsport ran Daniel de Jong for years, they're used to running shit drivers (though I assume RAG wasn't the owner's son).

sixclix

Nov 10, 2017
Deal agreed for Racing Point to become Aston Martin F1 team
2020 F1 season

The Racing Point F1 team is set to be renamed as Aston Martin in 2021 after its owner Lawrence Stroll agreed a £182 million deal to buy into the manufacturer.

RaceFans revealed last monthin conjunction with Autocar that the billionaire was considering buying into the luxury brand whose share price has fallen since it floated on the London stock exchange in 2018.

Under the terms of the deal, details of which were published in a filing on the London Stock Exchange on Friday, Racing Point will become the works Aston Martin team in Formula 1 in 2021. A 10-year initial deal has been agreed under which Aston Martin will receive equity in the Silverstone-based team.
Aston Martin's current title sponsorship deal with Red Bull, believed to be worth around $20 million, will end after this season. The manufacturer has agreed a five-year sponsorship deal with Racing Point on similar commercial terms.
The technology partnership between Aston Martin and Red Bull will continue until it has completed deliveries of the Valkyrie, a hypercar developed in conjunction with the Formula 1 team.
Stroll led a consortium which purchased the assets of Racing Point from its previous owners in mid-2018 after it went into administration. He will take a seat on Aston Martin's board following the latest investment, which will see him take a 16.7% stake in the manufacturer.

Well, at least Aston Martin Racing sounds a lot better than Racing Point. Even TV broadcasters still called them Force India by mistake.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still not a fan of manufacturer names just slapped in there (eg. Alfa Romeo or now Aston Martin), but at least it sounds and looks a lot cooler. Racing Point always sounded like a team in a Formula 1 game that doesn't have the licenses, so they just have to use dumbass names like Red Star, Silver Bullets or Racing Point.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So on the grid this year there'll be Aston Martin Red Bull and just straight up Aston Martin? 🤔
Doubt it. They'll finish their commitment but forego the title sponsorship, I'd reckon.

-edit: Oh, as Endlessflood said, it's not until 2021. Bit dumb to put 2020 right under the header.

Big Dirty

Nov 11, 2018

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Get the track owner of Imola on the line

I'm glad they're turning into Aston Martin. Nobody has a color remotely similar to that distinctive green and Racing Point's doing about as well as Aston Martin in the current WEC season 😜 . But seriously, dropping 182 billion pounds on a company is crazy.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Get the track owner of Imola on the line

I'm glad they're turning into Aston Martin. Nobody has a color remotely similar to that distinctive green and Racing Point's doing about as well as Aston Martin in the current WEC season 😜 . But seriously, dropping 182 billion pounds on a company is crazy.
Millions is lose change to Stroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.