FIA Formula One 2019 |OT| Oil Mining vs. Energy Drinks vs. Big Tobacco, pick your poison

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling, Thread derailment with inflammatory posts, Accumulated infractions for the same behavior.
Hulk to Red Bull, Ocon to Renault during summer break. Talks we're held at Austria.

R.I.P Gasly

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
If it were any other poster I'd have just thought it was random speculation, to me it doesn't look like it was posted as fact.

But given who it was... fair enough.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the same, honestly.
The motivation given seems to be the most baffling. I fail to understand how that was derailing the thread or inflammatory. I know the dude's got a history of fabricating news with no sources given, but is that grounds for getting offed? And even if so, it seems strange it was deemed inflammatory. Odd.

endlessflood

Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
This bit caught my eye:

"Ferrari making the decision to bring forward their list management plan and switch Kimi Raikonnen and Charles Leclerc."

I thought it was widely held that Kimi's announcement that he was going back to his old Sauber team took Ferrari by surprise?

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like those creative writing exercises where you gotta reach a given conclusion by tying together whatever element you find. An unsubstantiated rumor about Vettel wanting to leave Ferrari somehow turns into leaked documents which reveal Ricciardo is coming in, odd shit about Raikkonen (who should have been sacked God knows how many years ago), or the even more hilarious suggestion that Ferrari would find a worthy substitute for their 4-times world champion in... Valtteri Bottas.

A creative article, that's for sure.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
This feels like those creative writing exercises where you gotta reach a given conclusion by tying together whatever element you find. An unsubstantiated rumor about Vettel wanting to leave Ferrari somehow turns into leaked documents which reveal Ricciardo is coming in, odd shit about Raikkonen (who should have been sacked God knows how many years ago), or the even more hilarious suggestion that Ferrari would find a worthy substitute for their 4-times world champion in... Valtteri Bottas.
Yeah, I did have to look at that bit twice to make sure I hadn't just misread it!

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe Lando Norris has a donation button on Twitch and thanks people on air for subscribing to him and shit lol

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

A creative article, that's for sure.
If the bit about Ricciardo having a clause that allows him to leave for Mercedes or Ferrari... Abiteboul might just be the worst team boss ever if that's true. Seriously why wouldn't Ricciardo take that deal in that situation? Gets an insane salary and if a top team comes by he can just au revoir out of there.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
If the bit about Ricciardo having a clause that allows him to leave for Mercedes or Ferrari... Abiteboul might just be the worst team boss ever if that's true. Seriously why wouldn't Ricciardo take that deal in that situation? Gets an insane salary and if a top team comes by he can just au revoir out of there.
They probably had to put that in there to tempt him away from Red Bull.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
They probably had to put that in there to tempt him away from Red Bull.
At the time they probably thought that there was no chance of a seat coming up so it would almost have been a nice deal sweetener that they thought had no chance of coming to pass.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It makes sense I guess from that point, but still. That kind of money and that clause when you know Bottas is on a 1-year deal.
With all due respect to Bottas I don't think he's the same level as Ricciardo. He's not a top tier driver so I don't know how much benefit he would be to a team wanting to work their way upwards.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
With all due respect to Bottas I don't think he's the same level as Ricciardo. He's not a top tier driver so I don't know how much benefit he would be to a team wanting to work their way upwards.
I think that was the point. Why give Ric so much money and that clause when you know he could replace Bottas after one season

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
But why would that be? It's not like Bottas' contract situation has been secret.
But it's been consistent. They probably think that as Mercedes turned him down for this year they wouldn't be likely to change their minds next year either.

Either way it's a bit of a foolish clause, especially given how Bottas got his place in the Mercedes team.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Lulz
But, this has very plainly and visibly not be the case.

You can argue about how good the show has been, but cars have objectively been able to follow closer, for longer, than they have been in years prior.

Now, rather than the orgy of overtaking some people want, this has mostly led to trains of cars lapping together at 1 second apart, but thats is compared to the 3 seconds apart they were forced to hang back before.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

So this guy says Gasly isn't adapting to the car demands, probably but don't discount the psychological effect of bad results

AndyD

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
But, this has very plainly and visibly not be the case.

You can argue about how good the show has been, but cars have objectively been able to follow closer, for longer, than they have been in years prior.

Now, rather than the orgy of overtaking some people want, this has mostly led to trains of cars lapping together at 1 second apart, but thats is compared to the 3 seconds apart they were forced to hang back before.
I think this has also been in part due to the change to tougher tires that can withstand the punishment. But to be under 1 second for a while and not be able to pass must be maddening.

Aevum

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it's worth being halfway discerning about the sources we share just for newcomers' sake, because this is one of the most obviously fabricated piece of trash articles to widely circulate in a while.

As a general rule of thumb, if none of AMuS, Motor Sport Magazine, the Motorsport Network, or RaceFans are reporting on or acknowledging a story like this, it's fairly safe to assume the writer has no connections and the article is raw garbage.

AndyD

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
It certainly sounds like fantasy, but I do think retiring on a high rather than lingering in the sport has its merits. I know some top drivers love to stay forever, a la Alonso and Kimi regardless of chance of victory, but I also imagine others will want to leave and turn to family and other adventures, a la Rosberg and Button.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly sounds like fantasy, but I do think retiring on a high rather than lingering in the sport has its merits. I know some top drivers love to stay forever, a la Alonso and Kimi regardless of chance of victory, but I also imagine others will want to leave and turn to family and other adventures, a la Rosberg and Button.
That's true, but this could be said for anyone. Hamilton could retire at the end of this season if the rumbling in the team is that next year's car is gonna struggle. Does it sound plausible? Hardly. I yet have to see a single compelling element to support the claim Vettel could actually retire at the end of the year. Sure, he's disappointed he's not fighting for the title, he hasn't won one in 5 years and his only victory of the season was taken away by a shit FIA decision, but it's not like this is the first time he's been wronged in his career or anything.

AndyD

Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
That's true, but this could be said for anyone. Hamilton could retire at the end of this season if the rumbling in the team is that next year's car is gonna struggle. Does it sound plausible? Hardly. I yet have to see a single compelling element to support the claim Vettel could actually retire at the end of the year. Sure, he's disappointed he's not fighting for the title, he hasn't won one in 5 years and his only victory of the season was taken away by a shit FIA decision, but it's not like this is the first time he's been wronged in his career or anything.
Oh sure. I just meant I would not be shocked if someone did this. So as a "rumor" it can be written about any of the guys in F1, except maybe Hamilton who is clearly on a winning streak.

massivekettle

Aug 7, 2018
For what it's worth, Bottas actually beat Ricciardo in lower formulae. And Bottas has beat Massa (in qualifying) in the same fashion Alonso did. Point is, Bottas is no slouch over 1 lap. I do agree however he tends to fade in the race.

Hamilton could retire at the end of this season if the rumbling in the team is that next year's car is gonna struggle
Why would next year's Mercedes struggle? 2019 regulations will carry into 2020.