FIA Formula One 2019 |OT| Oil Mining vs. Energy Drinks vs. Big Tobacco, pick your poison

Oct 26, 2017
it's intentional, he's been doing this for years. He's been directly asked by mods to source his claims over and over and has been banned for exactly this in the past.
This. It's not really "banter" when they don't engage with the community. They just turn up about once a page or so, post something ridiculous or mildly inflammatory and then disappear.

Like I said, I just filtered them out, but a week long ban is justified considering they'd been warned in the past.

endlessflood

Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It makes sense I guess from that point, but still. That kind of money and that clause when you know Bottas is on a 1-year deal.
If Merc wanted Ricciardo they could’ve already had him this year, so it was (and still is) unlikely that they’d change their mind and risk upsetting the dominance they currently enjoy.

From Renault’s point of view, of course they’d make that concession if that was what it took to get Ricciardo. The chances of a Merc or Ferrari seat opening up are small, and it meant attracting not only a top talent to their team, but someone who’s a fan favourite and raises the team’s profile. Red Bull had offered to match the money of the Renault deal, so money wasn’t going to be enough to get Ricciardo’s signature. I assumed that number 1 status and team potential was their draw card, but if that clause is true then it probably played a huge role too.

nekkid

Oct 27, 2017
That's true, but this could be said for anyone. Hamilton could retire at the end of this season if the rumbling in the team is that next year's car is gonna struggle. Does it sound plausible? Hardly. I yet have to see a single compelling element to support the claim Vettel could actually retire at the end of the year. Sure, he's disappointed he's not fighting for the title, he hasn't won one in 5 years and his only victory of the season was taken away by a shit FIA decision, but it's not like this is the first time he's been wronged in his career or anything.
They will only just have started designing their 2020 car, and it largely goes unchanged from this year. Why exactly would they struggle?

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
Why would next year's Mercedes struggle? 2019 regulations will carry into 2020.
They will only just have started designing their 2020 car, and it largely goes unchanged from this year. Why exactly would they struggle?
I'm not saying this is gonna happen, I'm saying that in theory even Hamilton could be retiring at the end of the year if he feels certain things. It doesn't sound any more credible or substantiated right now than Vettel quitting F1.

endlessflood

Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'm not saying this is gonna happen, I'm saying that in theory even Hamilton could be retiring at the end of the year if he feels certain things. It doesn't sound any more credible or substantiated right now than Vettel quitting F1.
Well Vettel just got married, and endured the humiliation of Canada, and is not driving for a team that is dominating the sport, so their circumstances are quite different. Not that I think he’s going to retire, just pointing out the obvious difference.

massivekettle

Aug 7, 2018
Actually, the top teams started designing 2020 earlier this year - though given the continuity in regulations, they will be refining said design based on 2019's developments. If anything, the top teams are focussing on sketching out concepts for 2021 at the moment.

nekkid

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, the top teams started designing 2020 earlier this year - though given the continuity in regulations, they will be refining said design based on 2019's developments. If anything, the top teams are focussing on sketching out concepts for 2021 at the moment.
There’s a few people doing stuff for 2021, but absolutely it’s not their focus right now. And actually it’s not until about June (the early summer timeframe) that they start putting significant resource into designing the following year’s car.

Source: I work with one of the top teams, and some of the others.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Mods are going to need to ban a hell of a lot of members, then!
And the forum and readability and interactability would be much better off, if they did. That being said if someones sole motivation for posting here is not interacting with other people but just riling them up and thus derailing threads with every post they make, a permanent ban seems like a good thing to me.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Vettel last won a WDC 6 years ago. He last won a race 11 months ago. He's recently married. He's being beaten by his younger, hungrier, darling of the paddock team-mate. He's clearly disillusioned with the current rules and regulations.

Hamilton is current WDC. He last won a race 2 weeks ago. He's still living his jet-setting lifestyle. He's once again trouncing his limited, unambitious, docile team-mate. The current rules and regulations are his bread and butter.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but Vettel retiring is a million times more likely than Hamilton.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
Vettel last won a WDC 6 years ago. He last won a race 11 months ago. He's recently married. He's being beaten by his younger, hungrier, darling of the paddock team-mate. He's clearly disillusioned with the current rules and regulations.

Hamilton is current WDC. He last won a race 2 weeks ago. He's still living his jet-setting lifestyle. He's once again trouncing his limited, unambitious, docile team-mate. The current rules and regulations are his bread and butter.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but Vettel retiring is a million times more likely than Hamilton.
Thing is, we're making assumptions about both drivers because there is no substantiated rumor so far about Vettel retiring. I honestly don't believe in it in the slightest, even if it does happen in the next 6-24 months I'm pretty sure the person who started spreading this "rumor" just made it up. Drivers have ups and downs, and Vettel may not be in his best ever moment F1-wise, but he's still one of the best drivers on the grid sitting in one of the best cars. If he's depressed, I'd say two thirds of the grid are in a worse shape.

endlessflood

Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Thing is, we're making assumptions about both drivers because there is no substantiated rumor so far about Vettel retiring. I honestly don't believe in it in the slightest, even if it does happen in the next 6-24 months I'm pretty sure the person who started spreading this "rumor" just made it up. Drivers have ups and downs, and Vettel may not be in his best ever moment F1-wise, but he's still one of the best drivers on the grid sitting in one of the best cars. If he's depressed, I'd say two thirds of the grid are in a worse shape.
You don’t think Ferrari would be developing a plan for it, just in case it happens? If you’re a top F1 team, then the unexpected departure of your top driver is possibly the biggest risk facing your business. As that risk increases, I’m sure the planning becomes much more substantial.

Dr.Phibes

Avenger

He married his high school sweetheart with whom he has two kids. Why would marriage suddenly change things?

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017

RS1984

Dec 29, 2017
Daniel Ricciardo addresses the potential move to Ferrari rumors.

Says he has a HARD contract with Renault until the end of 2020. If Vettel would to retire at the end of 2019, Daniel would not be involved with Ferrari.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

TheRulingRing

Apr 6, 2018
I don't know why people here are arguing so strongly for Vettel retiring at the end of next year or whatever. The only decent driver we've seen retire from even a semi-competitive position is Rosberg, it's not a common thing.

endlessflood

Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
And they were still the class of the field after removing that brake system...
Did they lap the field without it though? There’s no denying that it was as effective as it was illegal lol

There are many clever innovations in F1 that operate in ‘murky’ areas of the rules, but that one was just so blatant. As much as I hate to say it, I’m with Eddie Jordan on that one!

Pillock

Dec 29, 2017

Excellent interview with the former Lotus team boss!

Ocon will 100% be in Mercedes next year along side Lewis according to him.

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
You become more aware of how risks will change not your life but also others, it has happened to almost every racing driver, once they settle down and form a family racing becomes second.
I remember Alonso being asked what he was thinking when he went around Schumacher at 130R back in '05 and he said "I was thinking that Michael has two children."

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I don't know why people here are arguing so strongly for Vettel retiring at the end of next year or whatever. The only decent driver we've seen retire from even a semi-competitive position is Rosberg, it's not a common thing.
Michael Schumacher
Mika Häkkinen
Alain Prost
Nigel Mansell (ish)

Plenty of drivers have retired at the top of their game, or at least nearer to it than Seb currently is.