• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
L
They show the race on sky one? Is that just for the first race or all of them? I have sky one but assumed the races were only on their sports channel

Just the first one for now, I guess probably Silverstone will be there as well and maybe the final race. I guess it's to try and get people on board and willing to pay for the F1 channel. It was a nice gesture but they're wanting your cash down the road. If I already had Sky I'd probably sign up for the current offer of £10 a month extra for Sky F1, but I'm not getting a whole Sky package for it, especially when my interest in the sport is waning.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Sad about Danny, shitty way to start a GP. I wish Hamilton won, but I always want Hamilton to win, haha. Glad Bottas got another win, that's good! Nice to see him back on form.

Seemed like a really good Australian GP, I enjoyed it! I think the new regulations have worked pretty well, people would follow really close again, and would stay there. Some good passes too, which is pretty rare for this track.

Anyone have stats on how many passes there was during the race?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Powerofdreams.jpg

maxlolava3iljq.png

Ooooooeeeee, that is great

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So what happened to the rumour that Ferrari had to turn down their PU? What was the source ?
Could have been bullshit could have been true? They literally didn't know why he was slow and leclerc would have absolutely ripped past him on the hard compound of all things if they left him. And a Ferrari powered HAAS just had a straight engine failure, so who knows. Happenstance or signs of real things

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Vettel is saying he had no grip, which is opposite of Barcelona where he loved the car from day one. Is it possible they just royally fucked the setup? Or the track really isn't suited to the car

jay_toon10

Oct 28, 2017
Cape Town
Could have been bullshit could have been true? They literally didn't know why he was slow and leclerc would have absolutely ripped past him on the hard compound of all things if they left him. And a Ferrari powered HAAS just had a straight engine failure, so who knows. Happenstance or signs of real things
I don't recall seeing a Haas having an engine failure, it was a wheel rim/ suspension failure that retired Grosjean's car.
I mean if Ferrari had turned down their PU then Leclerc's car PU should have been turned down as well and I don't see how he would have caught Vettel if that was the case.
Besides Vettel straight said the car was just lacking overallgrip , he did not mention anything about the PU
In any case my query was more about the source of the rumour, it is weird that it just popped out after Quality and no outlets reported about it

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid me, remembered incorrectly. It wasn't a Ferrari engine that had the MGU-K failure
That would have been Sainz, Zak Browned said initial reports pointed to MGU-K failure.

Considering Vettel-Leclerc: Much like Bottas, Leclerc was on the superior strategy, running the longer first stint. Where it wasn't beneficial for Mercedes to have both their cars run together, for Ferrari it would have been if any of the three cars in front would get an issue. Leclerc being not allowed to pass Vettel is obviously politics.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
He was never going to catch Bottas after he pitted ~10 laps earlier
He was concerned his tires wouldn't last the entire race so was going as slow as possible while maintaining position
Only real chance he had of catching Bottas was through a safety car so conserving tires makes sense
Hard track to overtake and he's not going to divebomb his teammate anyway
Ferrari pitted early to force Hamilton to respond and deny him the race win

But of course, it's because he couldn't be bothered.

Lol I ain't hating on Lewis. Been watching him since day 1 of 2008 and my ideal formula 1 would be him winning every single race from here until about 2030. Couldn't find a bigger fan.

And anyone who's watched him for even about a year let alone 10+ knows he just wasn't into it this weekend. It's not even a tires thing—even you said he wasn't going to overtake his teammate once he caught up, so why bother. He could have caught Bottas if he wanted and he could have extended the gap to Max further if he wanted but he didn't. It was nothing but a pure maintenance drive from lap 1.

He'll be happier next weekend. Hopefully.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently Gasly's overtake button wasn't actually working, i thought when he said it wasn't working he was just complaining about not enough power but i read somewhere that he didn't have it.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Apparently Gasly's overtake button wasn't actually working, i thought when he said it wasn't working he was just complaining about not enough power but i read somewhere that he didn't have it.

They told him to hold it for 5 secs when he was initially attempting to pass kvyat but he responded that it had no effect. That's the broadcasted portion at least

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching Formula 1: Drive to Survive and I realize theyre editing it for the drama but it seems wild to me how often the cars from some of the top teams just fail because of engine issues or whatever else. I guess theyre really pushing them to the limit but this is even after practice drives and everything

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Vettel is saying he had no grip, which is opposite of Barcelona where he loved the car from day one. Is it possible they just royally fucked the setup? Or the track really isn't suited to the car
The track is a bit of an odd one anyway so it really is too early to make any kind of calls on where the season will go.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Lol I ain't hating on Lewis. Been watching him since day 1 of 2008 and my ideal formula 1 would be him winning every single race from here until about 2030. Couldn't find a bigger fan.

And anyone who's watched him for even about a year let alone 10+ knows he just wasn't into it this weekend. It's not even a tires thing—even you said he wasn't going to overtake his teammate once he caught up, so why bother. He could have caught Bottas if he wanted and he could have extended the gap to Max further if he wanted but he didn't. It was nothing but a pure maintenance drive from lap 1.

Wasn't he 1st in all 3 practise sessions and quali? He only seemed narked (understandably) after fluffing the start and then getting pitted early to cover a snail Ferrari, a decision that in hindsight they didn't need to, and shouldn't have made.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017

Day 1 2008? Guess you missed his first year. Some fan.

hehehehe

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
One of the dumbest things I've heard in f1.

They need to find a pair of fan commentators for a second audio track. People who know what they are talking about and don't have to explain the same shit 4 times a race every race for newcomers.

Yep. And what happened to LeClerc, it felt like team orders considering he was gaining a second a lap up until he caught up. And as a side note is Kubica doing poorly, or just a crap car? Is there a way to look at his lap times vs. others?

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. And what happened to LeClerc, it felt like team orders considering he was gaining a second a lap up until he caught up. And as a side note is Kubica doing poorly, or just a crap car? Is there a way to look at his lap times vs. others?
It is a VERY crap car.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this for "free" on Sky One in the UK (NowTV entertainment pass) and I'm definitely not going to be rushing to pay £9/£15 to watch any other race weekends anytime soon, I'll stick to Ch.4 highlights and try and not find out the result.

I used to only ever really want to watch F1 because I knew it was the pinnacle of Motorsport and the top flight of drivers in the world competing, but for entertainment value it has come to disappoint me way more than it has excited me. Compare that to the short and snappy and unpredictable Formula E races I've watched in this current season (the first time I've followed it) and the difference in fun watching the two is stark for me. It helps of course that I can watch all the FE sessions live and on demand on the ubiquitous service that is YouTube making it the easiest and cheapest of the two to follow by a country mile.

I'll follow the F1 season and I'm sure like every season it will have it's unmissable races and moments, but I'm genuinely more excited to watch the next FE race and to continue growing my knowledge on the teams and drivers competing there than I am to see the Bahrain F1 race.

Even if I wasn't being expected to pay anything from about £200+ just to follow F1 properly I think I'd still feel much the same, but I'd follow F1 anyways as I have done for years.

What I want now is a good FE SIM game in the style and approachability and authenticity that Codemasters has done with F1. How exciting a racing game would that be if they captured the sport properly (roll on GT Sport getting FE cars eventually).

Formula 1 nowadays is not entertaining for a neutral spectator not familiar with the ins and outs of the series. It remains the pinnacle of motorsport because it has some of the finest drivers ever, the biggest teams, tons of history and glamour... but every now and then there is a legit good race, most are processions.

A good analogy would be an edition of the UEFA Champions League in which the nets are 90% smaller and there's twice as many defenders. You still see Ronaldo, Messi and the others playing brilliantly, but nearly all matches end 0-0, and you lose your shit when somebody somehow manages to score. It's high quality in many ways but the entertainment value is low.

Formula 1 has exciting tech, huge teams, insanely good drivers. But there are no passes, unreliable rules and regulations, needlessly confusing things that make races hard to follow for those who aren't hardcore about it. The vast majority of the races of this century were not good on their own, not if you account the championship points or the general driver "stories". It's uncomparable to something like Formula E or IndyCar where most races feature exciting battles, twists, multiple lead changes and so on.

But like a TV show I'm invested in, I'm sticking around. I've been following these teams, people, tracks, tech for like a quarter of a century now. It's always fascinating, one way or another. But at the same time, there have been far more boring weekends and predictable champion results (just think how 2 drivers won all titles this decade, bar one in which it was one of the teammates in an equally dominant car) than outright amazing times. For every 2009 and 2012, we had to endure through lot of shit races as well. People think back fondly of 2007's championship battle, but often forget that most races were abysmal in terms of emotions and excitement. People love the Hamilton/Vettel rivalry, but then in 13 years or so they probably had less than 10 actual on-track battles that led to an overtake or side-by-side action that wasn't dictated by largely different performances or strategies.

This is what F1 currently is, and what it's been for quite some years. To many, like me, it remains fascinating. I woke up at 6am today to watch a boring race. I have no regrets. But this Formula 1 long stopped being "good", it's enjoyable only to those who are happy to invest a lot of time and effort. On their own, most races are not good. The best races of the decade are mainly stuff that would go down as a slightly above average event elsewhere. Just look at MotoGP: Marquez is winning championships left and right, but nearly every race has 10+ lead changes and sick battles. Nothing of the sort in F1, and this season won't be any different.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
You cannot determine the quality of F1 2019's show off the back of a "race" around Albert Park. It has always been a shit track for overtaking.

The cars seemed to be able to run a lot closer together for a lot longer without it shredding tyres, so I have high hopes that the new regulations will have a greater effect at some other tracks.

As with everything else, we wont have a full picture until after China.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Sad about Danny, shitty way to start a GP. I wish Hamilton won, but I always want Hamilton to win, haha. Glad Bottas got another win, that's good! Nice to see him back on form.

Seemed like a really good Australian GP, I enjoyed it! I think the new regulations have worked pretty well, people would follow really close again, and would stay there. Some good passes too, which is pretty rare for this track.

Anyone have stats on how many passes there was during the race?
I don't think there were that many. The Giovanazzi train was testament to how hard it is to pass, even with the new front/rear wing specs.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
It's all utterly bizarre.

Binotto has managed to go from golden boy to watching for a knife in the back in the space of three days.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have the feeling this year will be good. The honda engines did really well in the red bulls, they probably did the right thing ditching renault engines

Famicom

Oct 25, 2017
Only one race in but I'm already a fan of the point for fastest lap rule. The end of race bickering between the drivers about it will bring my some small joy. And someone surely will ruin their race going for it in the future.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Only one race in but I'm already a fan of the point for fastest lap rule. The end of race bickering between the drivers about it will bring my some small joy. And someone surely will ruin their race going for it in the future.
They probably hadn't given much time to it in strategy meetings yet. I'd imagine there will be less discussion about it during the race once the top teams have settled on a strategy. Still might create some drama in the future hopefully.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine six months ago, with the battery trickery Ferrari were getting - and the headaches they were causing. Now look at today, Ferrari the slowest in the speed traps significantly down on the Honda. How things can change in a relatively short period of time..

if I was Ferrari I'd be looking at Giovanazzi and using him to Beta test the engine much like Red Bull and Honda did with Toro Rosso last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.