• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think the F2 part of career mode is a bit scripted so it might be better to fiddle with your settings in a custom F1 race. I'm on PS4, using a controller, traction control on medium, ABS on, pit assist on too, everything else off, except corner line assist on. Started on low AI and kept bumping it up. I'm on 75 at the moment and satisfied with the 'realistic' results screen at the end of every race. I'm not too knowledgable about the setups, I just pick a preset before a race, based on whether the circuit has lots of straights or corners, and also if it's going to be raining or not.

The game has been a great supplement to experiencing F1 for the first time this year. I'm blown away by how terrible I am at the Monaco circuit, my respect for these drivers keeps rising!
It really is an amazing compliment to the experience which is wholly unique to motorsports, you can almost relate to "oh yeah, I hate that corner too". Also, Monaco can fuck off, the cars are literally too big for the track

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
I used to not be able to complete a lap at Monaco without hitting a wall.
These days I can manage to complete Grand Prix there without doing so! Still a rooooough track, though.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm looking forward to watching Monaco for the first time next year. It's practically impossible to overtake safely in the game, how often does it happen in real life? A good quali seems crucial for that circuit. Maybe some good pit strategy too.

I used to hate Baku but finally got ok at it. But Monaco... They'll never scrap that circuit will they? I also really dislike Spain before it too. There's two weird chicanes on that track I can't handle, plus visually it's a boring place.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking forward to watching Monaco for the first time next year. It's practically impossible to overtake safely in the game, how often does it happen in real life? A good quali seems crucial for that circuit. Maybe some good pit strategy too.

I used to hate Baku but finally got ok at it. But Monaco... They'll never scrap that circuit will they? I also really dislike Spain before it too. There's two weird chicanes on that track I can't handle, plus visually it's a boring place.
There a few spot where you can overtake if you are really faster than the car ahead ( in the game ).

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...

In the last gen of F1 games with restricted rewinds I used to intentionally crash at turn 1 at Monaco just to avoid actually doing the damn race. I can manage places like Singapore and Baku without hitting the walls fine, but Monaco is still a mess that I will never, ever get right. For awhile I thought it was an issue with using TC and ABS assists on such a low-speed track not translating well to car mobility, but nah. I just suck at it.

For what it's worth I generally do career with AI 80-90 (with mild TC and ABS), so it's frustrating that after so damn long I still can't get Monaco right while having basically everything else figured out nicely.

Oh, and you absolutely cannot pass at Monaco without catching someone falling asleep, but I enjoy watching it ever year anyway because the spectacle of cars that fast going around somewhere that silly is mind-blowing. Also, feel free to bounce the car over the kerbs at that chicane in Spain. Even with damage on the games are fairly generous about it. The final sector is a chore to get through and I hate the place. Produces miserable real races, on top.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I actually turn the AI down (to 100) when I drive Monaco in the game. I can qualify just fine, but I can't keep my level of concentration up to run a full race without binning it and staying competitive.

IRL, that track needs smaller cars and sprinklers.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Monaco will never be abandoned, it's iconic. It's literally the place where celebrities, other athletes and billionaires watch millionaires going really fast from a view of their multimillion shoebox sized condos. Monaco is basically everything that Formula 1 is built to be. Glitz, glamour, history, money, celebrity. The racing is secondary lol

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to hear the stories about Alonso now that he's retired, considering what we know already...whoah boy. In the beyond the grid with Hulkenberg, it was intimated that he may have played a role in keeping Ferrari from picking him up back in 2014 (think it was 14)
For better and for worse Alonso is probably the closest to another Prost the sport is going to get. He seems like a political ticking time bomb.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know its not F1, but I'm super excited to see Ford v Ferrari.

I generally love motorsports movies like that, even Rush with all of its faults was super enjoyable to me.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Irl you can drive at about 75% and still stop anyone getting past. It's sadly a crap circuit for racing. It's got the glitz, glamour and crashes.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I generally love motorsports movies like that, even Rush with all of its faults was super enjoyable to me.

Just watching the trailer says it all i'm afraid. Just like in Rush when they wanted us to believe that Lauda was telling BRM and then Ferrari engineers how to design their cars to be 1 sec a lap faster.

It's going to be an entertaining movie made for the biggest possible audience :(

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watching the trailer says it all i'm afraid. Just like in Rush when they wanted us to believe that Lauda was telling BRM and then Ferrari engineers how to design their cars to be 1 sec a lap faster.

It's going to be an entertaining movie made for the biggest possible audience :(

That Lauda scene was ridiculous! Really annoyed me despite how funny it was.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

It one thousand percent will be USA! USA! They've positioned ford as the underdog which is ridiculous. A massive simplification of the story is actually that ford dwarfed Ferrari several times over in size, tried to buy it, got pissed Enzo wouldn't sell and out of spite threw crazy money at Le Mans to beat them. Like.....there's nothing heroic in that. It's essentially the story of a bully getting pissed off a little guy stood up for himself so he just beats the crap out of him

Edit: the original script had a decent amount of Enzo in it. They're not using that script, so you can imagine what the final product is like. Embellishments and half truths for the sake of a movie are one thing, but revisionist history is wholly another

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

For general audiences I think it was fine, not many understood that a second was a long time, let alone if he had shaved a hundredth off. The scene was designed to show the audience that he was good at setting up the car, a cerebral driver v. The seat of his pants of James Hunt.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It was indeed a great scene, but quite many of the armchair experts of our days (I am an armchair expert myself so no offense intended) base their shit on "oh but Ferrari is usually undriveable" "Ferrari sucks under Italian management" "they only win with an outspoken driver" kind of reasoning that they literally saw on Rush and believe it's a great indication of how the team sucks. Because the most winning team in the history of the sport quite obviously constantly design shit cars, with then drivers of the like of Lauda or Schumacher telling them how to make a car that is a second quicker. Rush is a great movie but it's about as much of a documentary for Formula 1 as is Bend It Like Beckham for football.

Oct 25, 2017
It was indeed a great scene, but quite many of the armchair experts of our days (I am an armchair expert myself so no offense intended) base their shit on "oh but Ferrari is usually undriveable" "Ferrari sucks under Italian management" "they only win with an outspoken driver" kind of reasoning that they literally saw on Rush and believe it's a great indication of how the team sucks. Because the most winning team in the history of the sport quite obviously constantly design shit cars, with then drivers of the like of Lauda or Schumacher telling them how to make a car that is a second quicker. Rush is a great movie but it's about as much of a documentary for Formula 1 as is Bend It Like Beckham for football.
I highly doubt Schumacher needed to tell Rory Byrne how to do his job.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt Schumacher needed to tell Rory Byrne how to do his job.

That's the point. I see those points regurgitated ad nauseam in various places: Ferrari sucks unless led by foreigners, they suck unless there's a ballsy driver, stuff like that that can only really be your view of the reality of Ferrari if your only experience with it is Rush. They employed some of the finest engineers the sport has ever seen, and while they had ups and downs, their ups are very high (most championships won in the sport), and their lows are not as low as those of other classic teams (see where's Williams now or how McLaren hasn't been on the podium for like 5 years now). It's a great movie but it hasn't got a lot to do with reality in that sense.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the point. I see those points regurgitated ad nauseam in various places: Ferrari sucks unless led by foreigners, they suck unless there's a ballsy driver, stuff like that that can only really be your view of the reality of Ferrari if your only experience with it is Rush. They employed some of the finest engineers the sport has ever seen, and while they had ups and downs, their ups are very high (most championships won in the sport), and their lows are not as low as those of other classic teams (see where's Williams now or how McLaren hasn't been on the podium for like 5 years now). It's a great movie but it hasn't got a lot to do with reality in that sense.
Yeah don't worry I was in complete agreement with what you said. Rush as good as it is is pretty much sensationalist media. I may bag on Ferrari at times, but their low is McLaren or Williams low, they just at times got out engineered, which happens to every team.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah don't worry I was in complete agreement with what you said. Rush as good as it is is pretty much sensationalist media. I may bag on Ferrari at times, but their low is McLaren or Williams low, they just at times got out engineered, which happens to every team.

Yeah. As a Ferrari fan it sucks that the last title was over a decade ago, but many times the team went very close to it since, scoring a lot of wins, pole positions, fastest laps, 1-2s since. It's been okay, all things considered. Wouldn't want to be a Williams fan in this century though: at their highest they won a couple races here and there in the early 2000's and a bit of a fluke one in 2012 because the tyres were hilariously hard to understand, and now they are by far the worst team on the grid. Sad to see.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. As a Ferrari fan it sucks that the last title was over a decade ago, but many times the team went very close to it since, scoring a lot of wins, pole positions, fastest laps, 1-2s since. It's been okay, all things considered. Wouldn't want to be a Williams fan in this century though: at their highest they won a couple races here and there in the early 2000's and a bit of a fluke one in 2012 because the tyres were hilariously hard to understand, and now they are by far the worst team on the grid. Sad to see.
I still have no idea how Williams got to this point from where they were in the early 90's. They must have made bigger mistakes than McLaren, which is saying something.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea how Williams got to this point from where they were in the early 90's. They must have made bigger mistakes than McLaren, which is saying something.

I sure hope somebody who is/was at Williams these past 10-15 years can write a book or give out a lengthy interview about the changes that happened inside the team one day. It's unreal to think that at the start of this era they'd even take the fight with Mercedes every now and then thanks to employing the same engine and evidently having a not that shabby chassis overall, and now they are unable to beat a struggling Haas or Toro Rosso. You'd think that in a single era a team like that would be able to iterate on a top 3 car enough to not fall into dead last place in the span of a couple years, and yet here we are.

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope somebody who is/was at Williams these past 10-15 years can write a book or give out a lengthy interview about the changes that happened inside the team one day. It's unreal to think that at the start of this era they'd even take the fight with Mercedes every now and then thanks to employing the same engine and evidently having a not that shabby chassis overall, and now they are unable to beat a struggling Haas or Toro Rosso. You'd think that in a single era a team like that would be able to iterate on a top 3 car enough to not fall into dead last place in the span of a couple years, and yet here we are.
People say Hamilton could have won a race or two in the 2014.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Quick F1 2019 question as there isn't a OT as far as I could see.

I just got the game for my birthday and playing the career mode I was getting absolutely destroyed on the straights. Absolutely dreadful. Getting passed by 3-4 cars at the first straight in the F2 Abu Dhabi race. Anyway, I was doing some Googling and saw some guys talking about throttle saturation. I put it on 100 and it turned the car in an absolute rocket ship. After the first straight I was fighting for P5 instead of struggling to stay away from P20 lol.

Anyway, it's not perfect as it's now super finicky around slower corners. Instant full throttle after a slow corner = some Mario Kart drifting. Are there some recommended controller settings? Is there anything else I should check out?
Be aware that traction control reduces the power you can transport onto the track tremendously, especially in hairpins you'll loose so much time because the power simply isn't there. That's why I'd recommend using no traction control even on pad. You'll get used to it and even when you only pull the trigger slighty and think you're too cautious, you are STILL faster than accelerating with TC.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a driver of the caliber of Hamilton or Alonso could have transformed one or two of the races Mercedes struggled into a win, yeah. Imagine if they don't botch the start in Hockenheim, for example.

EDIT: It was Hockenheim, I initially wrote Austria.
I swear there's something about the engineering team combined with their driver lineups that isn't conducive to good feedback and chassis direction. They can't make an initially good car and they can't seem to improve them, they can just make a car that'll get around the track.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
If I remember right Mansell hated Prost and Piquet.
The Williams movie on Netflix touched on Mansell and PIquet. Definitely looked like a tense relationship.
Me too. Just hoping it's not too big on the old USA! USA! USA! rubbish
You already know the answer to this. I'm going because Damon and Bale will be entertaining.
I swear there's something about the engineering team combined with their driver lineups that isn't conducive to good feedback and chassis direction. They can't make an initially good car and they can't seem to improve them, they can just make a car that'll get around the track.
Maldonado said in the Beyond the Grid podcast that Williams was hiring a bunch of people not passionate about making the car better.

Of course, knowing nothing about Maldonado he seemed to contradict himself every two minutes so that could be completely bogus information.

Oct 25, 2017
The Williams movie on Netflix touched on Mansell and PIquet. Definitely looked like a tense relationship.

You already know the answer to this. I'm going because Damon and Bale will be entertaining.

Maldonado said in the Beyond the Grid podcast that Williams was hiring a bunch of people not passionate about making the car better.

Of course, knowing nothing about Maldonado he seemed to contradict himself every two minutes so that could be completely bogus information.
Really wish I had Netflix so I could see this. The Piquet and Mansell rivalry is something I wish I got to see, Piquet's a fucking asshole. Also I could believe Maldonado on that one, they probably hired who they could afford.
They had a huge engine advantage over most of the rest of the field so for sure better drviers could have done better. The engine masked a bunch of issues with the car though which is why they fell off in 15.
Yeah once some of the other teams caught up Williams got shown up, I think they were still what? 3rd in the Constructors in 2015? Went back to being a dog in 2016 though.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Really wish I had Netflix so I could see this. The Piquet and Mansell rivalry is something I wish I got to see, Piquet's a fucking asshole. Also I could believe Maldonado on that one, they probably hired who they could afford.
I have a mix of emotions about the William's kids but I do think I gained more respect for Claire. There's one point in the doc where she's actively consulting Sir Frank about when to pit Bottas and you can tell she doesn't really know what she's doing. That combined with an overarching theme that she's trying to carry her Dad's legacy forward you can tell she really does care about William's being a good team again.

I'm sure she's learned a lot but she may not be the right person to put them back on top. It won't be without effort though.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a mix of emotions about the William's kids but I do think I gained more respect for Claire. There's one point in the doc where she's actively consulting Sir Frank about when to pit Bottas and you can tell she doesn't really know what she's doing. That combined with an overarching theme that she's trying to carry her Dad's legacy forward you can tell she really does care about William's being a good team again.

I'm sure she's learned a lot but she may not be the right person to put them back on top. It won't be without effort though.
I think Claire's heart is in the right place and never hated her for trying, but her skill set isn't in the right place. I do respect what she's doing, but she needs a partner to help her with the team.
3rd, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 10th. Dat decline.
I can't even say Frank is spinning in his grave like I do with Bruce McLaren since Frank is still alive. God damn.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
It should be noted, she never wanted the job or aspired to it. Toto and Bernie made it happen really.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
This I did not know. It was stated in the movie her brother resented her for becoming co-principle. Seems even more odd that she took it now.
Well this is interesting. Bernie probably made her do it because he wanted to promote more diversity in the pitlane. I'm not even sure wtf Toto got out of it.

She talks about it in the podcast. Basically Bernie called her and toto to a meeting that toto was suspiciously late for. Just before she went in toto called and said "I'm sorry, please forgive me, I'll see you later" and then Bernie pretty much told her what was happening. Toto was one of the shareholders at the time iirc.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I'm looking forward to watching Monaco for the first time next year. It's practically impossible to overtake safely in the game, how often does it happen in real life?

It doesn't.

Monaco really isn't a race for fans watching at home, but I'm fine with keeping it if it allows F1 to mostly limit itself to one weekend of depravity.

It should be noted, she never wanted the job or aspired to it. Toto and Bernie made it happen really.

Yeah, I don't like to put the blame on one person but ultimate responsibility comes to the one at the top.

It's clear as day she isn't fit for the job on her own.

Jul 19, 2018
Be aware that traction control reduces the power you can transport onto the track tremendously, especially in hairpins you'll loose so much time because the power simply isn't there. That's why I'd recommend using no traction control even on pad. You'll get used to it and even when you only pull the trigger slighty and think you're too cautious, you are STILL faster than accelerating with TC.

I've always had TC on in the games, as I've spun every corner without it and got frustrated haha but off the back of your post I gave it a more concerted effort and it didn't take long before I was beating all my lap times. Still feel a bit wobbly through a lot of corners but it's way more fun and challenging, so thanks!

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I've always had TC on in the games, as I've spun every corner without it and got frustrated haha but off the back of your post I gave it a more concerted effort and it didn't take long before I was beating all my lap times. Still feel a bit wobbly through a lot of corners but it's way more fun and challenging, so thanks!
Great it worked forya! Just be patient mid-turn and at the exit (even more so in F2!). Your muscle memory takes a while to accustom but soon you'll get that "return steering stick to neutral and push the the throttle trigger simultaneously". It will happen from time to time that you will make a mistake even after hundreds of hours... (see Vettel in Monza, lol). But I always take it as part of motorsport and just deal with it. Unfortunately on pad the time frame to react and possibility to counter-steer is very low compared to using a steering wheel.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another tip.

You'll be very surprised how much time you'll gain skipping the high revs on corner exit and just short shifting till you're stable.

For instance, in a corner that youd usually timidly be accelerating out of in third, you can almost put your foot down flat in fourth and benefit from.much more gradual and useable traction/acceleration.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Another tip.

You'll be very surprised how much time you'll gain skipping the high revs on corner exit and just short shifting till you're stable.

For instance, in a corner that youd usually timidly be accelerating out of in third, you can almost put your foot down flat in fourth and benefit from.much more gradual and useable traction/acceleration.
I do this for certain cars / corners in GTS and always feel dirty for doing it. Glad I'm not alone.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
I did my first league race (50%) with manual ERS this weekend. I don't quite change it every corner like a lot of the high tier drivers do, but even just every other corner is exhausting, especially on a controller. I do enjoy the extra bit of control though. Plus, on automatic it can become impossible to overtake or defend on long straights.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Cheers! I'll check out TC as well, think I have it on medium but I play around with it.

Playing around with throttle saturation definitely helped as well. The standard setting is absolutely ridiculous as the ramp for full throttle is too slow, making you lose precious time and speed on the straights. Got it on 45 now which seems to work. Get to full throttle quickly enough for the straights, and I don't go full Mario Kart through the slower corners.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I still would gladly have paid the Beeb for them to continue their coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.