• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one get in to rally?

I want to watch it and see if I like it but I have no idea where to start.
Probably not the advice you're looking for, but check if there are local amateur or semi-pro events near you.
We got a ton of those over here and you really start to appreciate the work that goes into keeping a car on track and being fast at the same time.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably not the advice you're looking for, but check if there are local amateur or semi-pro events near you.
We got a ton of those over here and you really start to appreciate the work that goes into keeping a car on track and being fast at the same time.
I live in New Zealand now so I could actually do that, although I think a lot of it is on the South Island.

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how a lot of people are mad at FIA for being consistent for once. Back when Bottas jumped the start they explained that there is no wiggle room, either the sensor says they jumped the start or not and they give penalties according to that.
Also Vettel kinda penalised himself there.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how a lot of people are mad at FIA for being consistent for once. Back when Bottas jumped the start they explained that there is no wiggle room, either the sensor says they jumped the start or not and they give penalties according to that.
Also Vettel kinda penalised himself there.

Most people barely even remember rules or cases from 3 races ago, let alone from other seasons, which is why it's hilarious reading the conspiracy theories about how the 5th placed driver in the championship didn't get a penalty because of reasons. It's always been about sensors, and there have been cases in the past (in F1 and elsewhere too) where a driver kinda started early but happened to have the luck to have the red lights go off exactly at that instant, so they got away with a ridiculously good start legally. Then of course there's that time Massa started quite a few inches ahead of his normal spot but the sensors saw nothing wrong and Whiting from his area noticed nothing either.

Of course to someone not used to such technical sports it may seem odd, but it's all about being inside certain values at the right time, it's what F1 is about. This is why for decades teams tried their best to make sure the car behaves differently in actual tests than in the actual race - most recently Red Bull at the start of the decade with their visibly flexible thing that, however, still managed to go through FIA's tests because they'd only flex at actual speeds, not at the tests where they just apply weight onto them. Vettel started early, no doubt about that, anybody saw it. But it wasn't enough for the sensor to go off, and as such the FIA has their hands tied: they can't penalize.

And the irony with jumpstarts is that half the time the driver fucks himself over because not only he starts early and risks getting a penalty, but he also stops to a hault and likely loses positions in the process. Last time around Kimi lost a lot of positions, this time Vettel lost one but was under direct threat by at least two other cars because of that weak start instead of his and Ferrari's usual rocket boost starts. If the sensor kicks in it's a penalty, but of course it's only a natural reaction to stop if you realize you started early. Ironically, it would be best to just floor it if you started early. Take the penalty which is probably the same anyways but don't penalize yourself further by even eliminating the advantage you built. See:

It looks goofy as fuck but he was always gonna get penalized as soon as he passed the first car in the back. May as well floor it, try and build whatever advantage he can and then see what's his penalty.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Ironically, it would be best to just floor it if you started early. Take the penalty which is probably the same anyways but don't penalize yourself further by even eliminating the advantage you built. See:

It looks goofy as fuck but he was always gonna get penalized as soon as he passed the first car in the back. May as well floor it, try and build whatever advantage he can and then see what's his penalty.

It takes a driver like Maldonado to do that in F1, Vettel clearly wasn't up to the task!

Dilly

Oct 26, 2017
Funnily enough Bottas likely reacted to Vettel's false start himself which caused him to have such a great launch.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It takes a driver like Maldonado to do that in F1, Vettel clearly wasn't up to the task!

True, but I mean, as soon as Vettel released the brakes and the car started, he was probably better off flooring it. He would have had an enormous advantage in turn 1, and the infraction (if there was one) already happened, so he can't do anything to change the outcome anymore.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Ricciardo's charge through the field. It's beyond ridiculous that we have to wait for YouTube highlights two days after the race to finally see it.

Given the amount of content they pump out on their YT channel, and the fact it all has to be professionally edited, it shouldn't be a surprise to see content like this take a few days to trickle out.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the amount of content they pump out on their YT channel, and the fact it all has to be professionally edited, it shouldn't be a surprise to see content like this take a few days to trickle out.

Yeah, at this point I don't feel like complaining at all. Only a couple years ago there was no official F1 channel on YouTube and everything F1-related was purged immediately, with channels having to find the weirdest tricks like screens cut in half, flipped videos, the broadcast being inside a small window in the video, the video moving around the screen and whatnot to make sure the auto-detection doesn't kick in. To think that now we have official highlights with commentary, interviews, never seen before onboard videos or radio feeds... it's unreal. They even allow other content creators to put old F1 videos without having to hide half the video under weird banners and shit. Took FOM long enough and they still needed Liberty Media to even consider bothering.

I mean, around 2014 or so when YouTube and Twitch were already huge phenomenons, the best social thing Formula 1 had were a generic Twitter handle with bare minimum info and 2-3 minutes highlights of races only with music underneath on their official website. We've come such a long way so I'm definitely okay to wait a couple days for some of the juicier content considering that it still feels like a miracle we're getting anything at all.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I can cut a 10 minute football highlight package in under an hour. Can typically do the 2min version in another 30 mins.

Just for reference, and I'm not an editor by trade.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, at this point I don't feel like complaining at all. Only a couple years ago there was no official F1 channel on YouTube and everything F1-related was purged immediately, with channels having to find the weirdest tricks like screens cut in half, flipped videos, the broadcast being inside a small window in the video, the video moving around the screen and whatnot to make sure the auto-detection doesn't kick in. To think that now we have official highlights with commentary, interviews, never seen before onboard videos or radio feeds... it's unreal. They even allow other content creators to put old F1 videos without having to hide half the video under weird banners and shit. Took FOM long enough and they still needed Liberty Media to even consider bothering.

I mean, around 2014 or so when YouTube and Twitch were already huge phenomenons, the best social thing Formula 1 had were a generic Twitter handle with bare minimum info and 2-3 minutes highlights of races only with music underneath on their official website. We've come such a long way so I'm definitely okay to wait a couple days for some of the juicier content considering that it still feels like a miracle we're getting anything at all.

F1's social media strategy has been a huge success, especially when the racing hasn't been peak level compared to other times in the last two decades - and you're spot on here - there are so many categories that have fans who wish their series content could match that of F1s. MotoGP in particular, given it's racing is suffering badly at this.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
I meant that we should have been seeing it during the race! ;)
This is my first season of watching F1 and its been my number 1 complaint, even a noob like me noticed it month's ago. This past week was super terrible, the announcers were like Ricciardo is positioned to overtake 4 people and we know he loves overtaking, then it cuts back to the front of the field and doesn't show his overtaking.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Random stats n facts time.
  • Qualifying: First time since the Chinese GP that the first 4 rows had teammates starting alongside each other.
  • Ferrari: Secure their 64th front row lockout, matching Mercedes.
  • VET: With his 5th ever pole at Suzuka he out qualified his teammate for the first time in 9 races.
  • Mercedes: Matched Ferrari's record of 6 consecutive WCC titles.
  • Mercedes: Become the first team to win 6 WDC titles in a row.*
  • BOT: Claimed the 6th win of his career with his 100th top 10 finish.
  • BOT: Becomes the first ever driver to win at Suzuka that started on the 2nd row of the grid.
  • ALB: Took a career best result with a 4th place finish.
  • SAI: Had another top 5 finish, the 3rd of the season for him.
*No driver from any team other than Mercedes can win this years drivers title.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
According to La Gazetta Honda will increase it's budget for F1 engine development in 2020 to 140 million raheems in order to beat Ferrari and Mercedes.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
To be fair, I was looking at the gap times between Albon and Sainz, and Albon was extending the gap every lap, so that's a positive for Honda, I guess. (or positive for Albon?)
I would expect that though since Red Bull is still a cut above McLaren (due mainly to their aero I would assume). The fact that Sainz was able to stay within 10 seconds of Albon is a testament to Sainz and McLaren.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
In "wtf?!" news, in that I actually said "what the fuck?" when I saw the headline:

F1 Strikes Preliminary Deal To Hold 2021 Race At Miami Dolphins Stadium

So. Uh. This is a thing that's apparently happening. Seems to be a CCW track. I like the infield stuff near the stadium but drawing 2 1km straights on either side looks really boring. No info if it's a Tilke track, but it reeks of his normal characteristics.

uunaobygumwgb59d1cqa.jpg

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
In "wtf?!" news, in that I actually said "what the fuck?" when I saw the headline:

F1 Strikes Preliminary Deal To Hold 2021 Race At Miami Dolphins Stadium

So. Uh. This is a thing that's apparently happening. Seems to be a CCW track. I like the infield stuff near the stadium but drawing 2 1km straights on either side looks really boring. No info if it's a Tilke track, but it reeks of his normal characteristics.

uunaobygumwgb59d1cqa.jpg
That chicane before the second long straight is disgusting and I hate it.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
That actually looks like a decent track for overtaking, maybe?

Weird that the only way to get more F1 in America, a nation with thousands of racetracks, is to build another racetrack.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I still can't find any info on if this is Tilke or not, but it screams it. Tight corner that opens up into a long turn? Check. Multi-apex flat-out Istanbul-style corner? Check. Little tight infield section a la Hockenheim? Check. Cutesy gimmick at the end of a long straight? Check. Short drive from the grid to turn 1? Check. Like the track characteristics exist off a checklist and not out of any actual creativity.
That chicane before the second long straight is disgusting and I hate it.
I looked over the area on google earth, and it's actually a gimmick shot of the track going under a freeway overpass a la Singapore. The track absolute does not need to go through that area and it's extremely deliberate. I'm guessing it'll be a taken like the Hungary chicane where you basically just bounce over the kerbs. Awful.
Weird that the only way to get more F1 in America, a nation with thousands of racetracks, is to build another racetrack.
The US has awesome race tracks but freaking no one wants to put up the money to get that top FIA safety and accommodation rating. They're also dramatically spread out... The entire European part of the calendar takes place in an area half the size of the US and has better transit infrastructure.

I'll mention Road America as an example of a good track, which has the nickname of American Spa as it has decent elevation change and cuts through a dense forest. It's like 250km north of Chicago, one hour away from any commercial airport, with only access by car possible, and no direct major roads going there. No hotel or other attractions within 75-100km of the place. It supports races from the bigger American racing series fine like Indycar, but those are maaaaaaybe like a tenth the stuff needed versus what F1 would have. Fans would need to commute in from small towns in Wisconsin [insert Americana joke here] or the Chicago area each day. It's just never going to happen, lol.

But hey, if you ever need anyone to shill for Wisconsin, I'm always available!

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed it was a clockwise track, and I liked it...

...but then I saw how the run off was placed, and I don't think I like it as much when it's anti/counter - clockwise.

I'm no track expert though.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
This is not a street circuit, btw. This will be mostly in and around parking lot areas of this football stadium. They could make most any layout they wanted to with about 1 square kilometer to work with, and this is what they came up with. That long bendy straight is immediately parallel to a street, but not on the actual street.

Yet! If the pit straight is actually on the existing minor road shown, it's as narrow as the pit straight at Monaco. Yes, despite all this room available. You can street view stuff around here if you're curious.
I assumed it was a clockwise track, and I liked it...

...but then I saw how the run off was placed, and I don't think I like it as much when it's anti/counter - clockwise.

I'm no track expert though.
It looks CCW based on the runoff areas, and I agree that it'd be better the other way, with a few interesting braking zones.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to the street track downtown? If you're racing in "Miami" then race in Miami.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
This is not a street circuit, btw. This will be mostly in and around parking lot areas of this football stadium. They could make most any layout they wanted to with about 1 square kilometer to work with, and this is what they came up with. That long bendy straight is immediately parallel to a street, but not on the actual street.

Yet! If the pit straight is actually on the existing minor road shown, it's as narrow as the pit straight at Monaco. Yes, despite all this room available. You can street view stuff around here if you're curious.

It looks CCW based on the runoff areas, and I agree that it'd be better the other way, with a few interesting braking zones.

Yeah, I was really liking the idea of double sweeping corners before a hairpin at the start of the race.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
As an Austinite Im concerned what this means for COTA. Track is in horrible shape and the owner is trash.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Liberty want to turn F1 into NASCAR with a ridiculous number of races each season. Having two in the same country makes the logistics easier, most of their changes are designed to attract a US audience and most of the classic circuits cannot afford the fees anymore. COTA is safe.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or does that circuit look like somekind of mutated freak son of Long Beach?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liberty want to turn F1 into NASCAR with a ridiculous number of races each season. Having two in the same country makes the logistics easier, most of their changes are designed to attract a US audience and most of the classic circuits cannot afford the fees anymore. COTA is safe.

NASCAR is the textbook example of too fucking much, and one of the reasons I don't follow it (besides the shitty timing for us Europeans) is that there's like 40 events per year, with each race already being very long.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
A nice round 25 feels like a good number of races in a season.
Nah it's too many. Not everyone has weekends off to watch all this sport, and not watching it live is immediately detracting from the experience. It also devalues each race since their impact on the overall championship lessens.

I think 20 is a good number, heck even back to the good old days of 15 or 16, with each track being an actual decent racing track in countries where support actually exists (not PR exercises for shady oil barons).

Status
Not open for further replies.