• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Totally agree, it's impossible to try and predict the outcome of some of this stuff at the moment and whatever decsion is made, people are able to cite previous examples of similar circumstances where a penalty was or was not given. Seems to depend on the driver, team and their position in the race at that point

However, this has been a great season - loads of action, drama, fresh blood amongst the old guard, I won't complain too much.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The only thing I can see making sense, now that F1 is adding more and more races, is dividing the championship up into two. So they can have a "spring" and a "fall" championship with two champions every year.

With 22 races next year and a potential 25 in the future, I don't see why this wouldn't be a viable thing to do, since they already have a month break in the summer anyways.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
F1 shouldn't shy away from moves that favour spectacle alone. I'm not a fan of BOP in the WEC but it's one such system. Series like WTCR or F2 have reverse grids and multiple races per weekend. Some series introduced the joker laps. IndyCar once even went as far as having a literal lottery to decide the grid for one of the two races of the weekend. There's nothing wrong with chasing the spectacle, and FIA knows this because they gave us artificially trash degrading tires, DRS, and even tried to have a double score season finale once. There's nothing wrong in trying to create spectacle every weekend, I get that the top 3 teams are happy to win literally every race but would it hurt the sport if some events were a bit more artificially exciting and chaotic? Maybe reintroduce the old rule in which only the best 15 results count out of the 25 races so you can effectively take crazy risks in the wackier events?

Spectacle is good. Embrace it.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Random stats n facts time.
  • LEC: Won the pole position trophy, as no other driver can match his 7 poles this season.
  • VER: With his 8th career win he made his 30th podium finish.
  • Honda: Took their first win in Brazil since they did so with Senna's infamous win in 1991.
  • GAS: Claimed his first ever podium, meaning that out of all 4 RedBull cars only Albon has yet to finish on the podium.
  • SAI: Took his first top 3 finish after 101 GP, also marks the 100th podium finish for a Spanish driver.
  • McLaren: Took their first podium finish since 2014.
  • Alfa Romeo: First double top 5 finish for them since 1951.
  • Mercedes: Had their first mechanical DNF of the season.
  • HAM: Had his 2nd worst result of the season. In both of his worst race results he still managed to increase his lead in the championship.
  • Podium: Youngest ever combined age for the top 3. (71 yrs 60 days).

Dec 29, 2017
Adding a joker lap would be interesting. One thing that I think they should get rid of is allowing the leading cars to use DRS on back markers. It can give the race leaders too much of an advantage.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
Adding a joker lap would be interesting. One thing that I think they should get rid of is allowing the leading cars to use DRS on back markers. It can give the race leaders too much of an advantage.
I don't agree. Sometimes the driver's defending strategy is just as exciting as the passing strategy.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
F1 could change rules to recreate Brazil safety car restart action

Speaking about Verstappen's victory in his regular post weekend debrief, Brawn said: "He was particularly strong at the second re-start, when he slowed the field right down with the aim of ensuring no one would be able to slipstream past him and snatch victory.

"It was an exciting and fascinating restart, which will be analysed very carefully, as the closeness of the pack in the seconds leading up the green flags resulted in a thrilling spectacle as drivers jockeyed for position and where the slightest advantage proved decisive. Examining the possibility of procedurally recreating those conditions in future is an interesting concept and one that will undoubtedly be explored in the coming period."

Seems a bit knee-jerk, but whatever.

Race starts and restarts are good opportunities to "create" action which wouldn't otherwise happen.

An "easy" change would be to have every restart be a standing start from the grid, that would spice things up.

It is kinda crazy how this season turned out. Like at the start I could've never imagined we would've gotten so many decent to great to even classic races.

I think it shows that, for all that's talked about aero and tires and tracks and the 2021 regulations, good and exciting racing is still mostly down to the fluke of circumstance.

Random stats n facts time.
  • HAM: Had his 2nd worst result of the season. In both of his worst race results he still managed to increase his lead in the championship.

#Blessed

Last edited:

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
All this format ideas are extremely stupid. Introducing the reverse grid could also be very dangerous for example. In order to have great races with a lot of fights between all the drivers you need to have a competitive field and car where the driver can make a lot of difference. Light cars with limited width and length, engines with similar performance, a lot less DWF compared to now and go in real tracks and not abomination like Paul Ricard or Barcelona.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I still find Bernie's sprinklers idea to be the best one of them all for "artificial" shenanigans.

I mean, had they turned on the sprinklers during that boring af French GP earlier this year nobody would've complained.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this format ideas are extremely stupid. Introducing the reverse grid could also be very dangerous for example. In order to have great races with a lot of fights between all the drivers you need to have a competitive field and car where the driver can make a lot of difference. Light cars with limited width and length, engines with similar performance, a lot less DWF compared to now and go in real tracks and not abomination like Paul Ricard or Barcelona.

Those were just random examples of other series delivering more spectacle on a regular basis, not caring about what "TRVE MOTORSPORTZ" should be about. Take the reverse grid for example: it's definitely add more value to a driver's championship if he wasn't just cruising to win from front row every time but he had to come back from behind too from time to time. Yeah, it's potentially dangerous because drivers like Hamilton or Vettel haven't started outside of the top 6 too often. They'd get used to it though.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The only change I'd like them to make is to stop cars getting DRS when they are lapping other cars. It stops changes for the position because everyone ends up with DRS which maintains the gaps between them when they are getting through traffic.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be fine with sprinklers tbh. It's one of the least stupid ideas put forward and it affects everyone evenly. It's programmed in to be random in timing, duration, variability and of course whether it's going to happen at all.

All fine till some chump loses a race because the sprinklers come on with 2 laps to go.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with sprinklers tbh. It's one of the least stupid ideas put forward and it affects everyone evenly. It's programmed in to be random in timing, duration, variability and of course whether it's going to happen at all.

All fine till some chump loses a race because the sprinklers come on with 2 laps to go.

I mean, as it stands there's already people crying foul because of an ill-timed safety car. If there was a random sprinkler that eliminated a driver's advantage and allowed another one to come back, it would be fucking mayhem in the community. Now imagine that happening like twice per race.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AMuS has been reporting today that the FIA supposedly stepped in and got hold of various engine parts, pumps, etc. to put an end to the fuel-related accusations regarding Ferrari. The teams involved, per the report, are Ferrari, another Ferrari-engine theme and a third tame with a different unnamed engine (there were rumors of Red Bull using a similar trick a while ago, could be that). AMuS, of course, left a way out for themselves: since so far none of the elements of this controversy were verified, they are now claiming that the FIA will reach a verdict in the upcoming days, and if they don't comunicate anything, means the elements inspected were alright.

I just find it slightly hard to believe that the FIA has been doing such an investigation, going as far as taking pieces in from multiple teams (even some that weren't even suspected to be related maybe?), without a single piece of official comunication and nobody talking about it beside a German magazine. Could be legit of course and I'm curious to find out, but this story was really unusual so far.

EDIT: They're now claiming the teams are Ferrari, Sauber and Red Bull.

Last edited:

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
Completely disagree about sprinklers mostly for safety reasons. Sprinklers would not work (to add excitement) unless they were sudden and without warning. If you are running full speed through the S corners and suddenly the final corner is soaked you are going to crash. With real rain teams have RADAR and are able to warn their drivers. Even if they do figure out how to keep it safe while adding excitement, they can't implement it before the B man passes. Can't let that smug bastard know he was right after all the grief people gave him for that idea.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely disagree about sprinklers mostly for safety reasons. Sprinklers would not work (to add excitement) unless they were sudden and without warning. If you are running full speed through the S corners and suddenly the final corner is soaked you are going to crash. With real rain teams have RADAR and are able to warn their drivers. Even if they do figure out how to keep it safe while adding excitement, they can't implement it before the B man passes. Can't let that smug bastard know he was right after all the grief people gave him for that idea.

They could go full videogame then. A loud siren alarm announces the arrival of water in a certain sector and the expected intensity, but the exact turn, the exact second in time or the precise intensity are not in fact necessarily correct, only approximately. Announce to all teams that they should expect water in sector 3 in about 5 minutes, then maybe there's light water starting 7 minutes in from turn 13, which then expands to the rest of the sector with heavier and heavier intensity. Obviously you wouldn't want the equivalent of a monsoon out of nowhere without any telling sign.

Although that does happen, sometimes. I can't forget the pre-race for Brazil 2008. Sky Italia just went for a 1 minute break as they were showing the grid, and the sun was out, everything was cool. When they came back a minute later, it was pouring. It was insane, and a fitting beginning for what is one of the most insane F1 finales ever.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine the shitstorm if someone was about to win the championship, but random sprinklers turned on and completely changed the race.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
IF Sprinklers were ever going to be a thing (not that I think it has a chance in hell) I could see them treating it just like the weather.

FIA would just announce "Light/Moderate/Heavy rain expected for the next 5/10/20 minutes, to start sometime in the next 5/10/20 minutes"

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
If sprinklers were to be a thing (and I would like them to be - anything that adds unpredictability is good for me), it could be done by live fan polling. You set a benchmark (either x % of people voting in favor or a total amount of votes for a given result) and based on that data you alter severity/end it. The advantage being: fan involvment and some degree of predictability, allowing for strategic gambles.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If sprinklers were to be a thing (and I would like them to be - anything that adds unpredictability is good for me), it could be done by live fan polling. You set a benchmark (either x % of people voting in favor or a total amount of votes for a given result) and based on that data you alter severity/end it. The advantage being: fan involvment and some degree of predictability, allowing for strategic gambles.

Fanboost is so 2015, Fanwater is where it's at.

Oct 27, 2017
In the unlikely event that they start using sprinklers it could possibly work if they only use it after an incident that requires an SC. When an SC appears there could be a 25% chance of "rain". If it "rains" the drivers can get a feel for how wet it is and decide if they need to switch tyres while behind the SC. With everyone bunched up it would affect everyone the same way.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

For once I agree with this guy. These completely fake attempts to "spice things up" just come across as pathetically desperate.

All that effort and hot air would be better put towards fixing the core issues.

NOKYARD

Oct 25, 2017
and, considering we JUST witnessed one of the best races in years . . .

100% for Sprinklers in France ONLY!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
1 bad accident and the sprinkles idea would look really bad in hindsight.
I agree, if someone skids out and there's a big crash then it's very much on the FiA's head. Unless you literally did mean sprinkles? In which case that would definitely add some unpredictability to the show!

ShotType1_540x540.jpg

King Picollo

Oct 28, 2017
This has been one of the closest seasons yet. The results don't seem to show it because Mercs got a jump on everyone but since mid season it's been great.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree. Sometimes the driver's defending strategy is just as exciting as the passing strategy.

Some of the most impressive driving I've seen was Hamilton against Webber in Korea 2011. Used his KERS and car placement to perfection to hold off a much faster car for like 30 laps.

So yes I agree, defending can be just as exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.