• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're partly correct there. He doesn't like competetive team mates - and that was his problem at McLaren - he clashed with Button too many times.

I think he's happy as fuck at Racing Point, because Lance Stroll is awful and will never get close to being as good as him.,
Ok this makes sense. I remember his Ocon clashes way more than his Button clashes, though I think Button got on the radio once complaining about him if I remember right...probably a Monaco or something.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone flown to Azerbaijan for the GP in previous years? I'm looking at flights from the UK and they don't look very practical, wondering if I'm missing something.

magnificent83

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone have any advice or tips on attending the Bahrain GP? I've been looking online and there isn't too much info for next season's GP.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
They're not all terrible tracks or have terrible races, they just all end up having the same elements (some straights, a circle thingy, all broken up by some twisty stuff).
Since I've been reading this thread the only Tilkedromes that have received anything close to praise is the Turkey track and COTA. Going by what I've watched this season that's been a relatively accurate view (COTA was only ok IMO) so my hype levels took a pretty big nosedive. Hope it's good though!

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Amazing. "I'm the Asian Tom Cruise so give me a follow."

Vietnam track update. I hadn't seen the layout for this track but it looks like it might actually be pretty good? Long track, couple long straights, essess opening up at the end. Seems like it'll be pretty fun to watch.

There's no scale on the map so I can't see how long the sections are but it looks like there's at least 2, possibly 3 overtaking spots. Hopefully it'll be decent but in terms of aesthetics I imagine it's going to be another Azerbaijan or Valencia, flat with lots of concrete walls and wire fencing.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Since I've been reading this thread the only Tilkedromes that have received anything close to praise is the Turkey track and COTA. Going by what I've watched this season that's been a relatively accurate view (COTA was only ok IMO) so my hype levels took a pretty big nosedive. Hope it's good though!
Bahrain, Sepang, COTA, Shanghai, Abu Dhabi, Sochi. Those are the courses I can think of off the top of my head.

Sepang was rather well liked. And the Hockenheim-rebuild is actually pretty dope. Old Hockenheim sucked.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
They just installed lights at Sepang this year, too. Rumors of F1 returning are pretty rampant. Maybe when that 40 race schedule materializes.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Sepang was rather well liked. And the Hockenheim-rebuild is actually pretty dope. Old Hockenheim sucked.

You mean the Hockenheim that's perfectly flat and really only added one unnecessarily long straight, a hairpin and the classic Tilke 'slower that it looks or has any right to be considering the width of the track' chicane/corner as a corner exit?

Would much prefer the Nurburgring.

sixclix

Nov 10, 2017
I really don't get the hate Hockenheim gets. Name me one dull race there from the last decade... Every time we have a race there, some very momorable stuff happens. Massa gets his win taken away by Nando, Vettel crashing from the lead, Hamilton unlapping himself from Vettel, to Seb's great frustration. That AND the great overtakes we get in the hairpin and the next corner(s).

Hockenheim is great!

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Hockenheim isnt the circuit. It's the fact its in Germany. I don't think given how heavily involved Germans (be it brands, or drivers) are in F1, it's popularity has ever reached the levels of the Schumacher days.

MotoGP is way more popular, and on a much smaller circuit in Sachsenring. I suspect theres also a DTM aspect takeing market share too.

You mean the Hockenheim that's perfectly flat and really only added one unnecessarily long straight, a hairpin and the classic Tilke 'slower that it looks or has any right to be considering the width of the track' chicane/corner as a corner exit?

Would much prefer the Nurburgring.
Yes, that one. Indefinitely better than ye olde "the only interesting section is the Motodrom, so let's send the cars into the forest for three quarters of the lap" version.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
FW43 chassis will be an improvement.

Let's face it, how can it be worse than the current one?! That's like saying to a homeless person living under a piece of cardboard that their next home will be an improvement.

Well let's wait and see. As much as I would love to see Williams back in at least the midfield I wouldn't put it past them to be even worse next season.

On another note, the Hamilton time trial DLC in GT Sport is really enjoyable. Watching his replays it's insane how smooth he is with the wheel and throttle.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
FW43 chassis will be an improvement.

Let's face it, how can it be worse than the current one?! That's like saying to a homeless person living under a piece of cardboard that their next home will be an improvement.
I don't see why anyone would trust Claire on her word.

I also don't think they can be much better unless Latifi's pay (to Williams) is significantly higher than Kubica, because as much as this seems like a management issue, I bet it's just as equally a lack of funds problem.

The only benefit they have next year is that there's no major rule changes and they can try and copy other chassis from last year.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Well let's wait and see. As much as I would love to see Williams back in at least the midfield I wouldn't put it past them to be even worse next season.

Honestly don't see them moving up the rankings next year either. HAAS are basically a Ferrari B-team and Alfa are basically Sauber, who were always pretty good with the budget they had.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Lewis will not quit until he's got his 7th or realized that 7th is not possible.

if he nails a 7th in 2020 would he retire matching the record? Would he want 8?

Retiring with 7 just before the potentially wild card 2021 season where it may take a few years to understand the top cars and some moving around may make 8 difficult and therefore retiring at the end of this current 'era' could make sense.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, that one. Indefinitely better than ye olde "the only interesting section is the Motodrom, so let's send the cars into the forest for three quarters of the lap" version.

I mean it still doesn't make it a better substitute than the Nurburgring for the German GP regardless. It's still a supposedly meh layout developed into a slightly less meh but still meh layout.

I prefer the old Hock just because it provides something of a unique challenge for the teams to face. If current cars ran on the old layout we probably wouldn't have seen a comfortable Mercedes win, which is something right?

I don't really think the new layout is particularly awful. It's just not above par in any way, and the best bit is what was left of the old circuit.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
if he nails a 7th in 2020 would he retire matching the record? Would he want 8?

Retiring with 7 just before the potentially wild card 2021 season where it may take a few years to understand the top cars and some moving around may make 8 difficult and therefore retiring at the end of this current 'era' could make sense.

I reckon it depends on how well Mercedes do next year and how much they show him they're working on the 2021 car with the new regs. I don't see him going to Ferrari, I think this talk we're hearing will just be a way to strengthen his hand when negotiating his new contract hence all the "It's great to see teams appreciating you...." stuff he's saying.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as people like to shit on Ferrari, it's still the most winning team in the history of the sport, with prestige that goes even beyond Williams and McLaren, and even their failure of a year like this one was worth them a shockingly low 2nd place in the constructors. No top driver is gonna ignore Ferrari tbh.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
As much as people like to shit on Ferrari, it's still the most winning team in the history of the sport, with prestige that goes even beyond Williams and McLaren, and even their failure of a year like this one was worth them a shockingly low 2nd place in the constructors. No top driver is gonna ignore Ferrari tbh.
British media never accepted that a small italian firm built from nothing in Maranello near Modena became the most important car manufacturer in the world and the best racing team of all time.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
British media never accepted that a small italian firm built from nothing in Maranello near Modena became the most important car manufacturer in the world and the best racing team of all time.
21313.jpg

sixclix

Nov 10, 2017

It's so great to see the young guys genuinely having fun and just ... being likeable!

Oh and the way McLaren turned from being memed to actually being great fun. I might just be forgiving them for the horrible years with Alonso and Vandoorne.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how I rate COTA as one of the worst Tilkodromes, but everyone seem to like it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Ferrari announced February 11th for their 2020 car launch.

Are we having an off-season thread?

Hooker

Oct 28, 2017

F1 media team highlighting the DHL fastest laps & fastest pit-stops of 2019. Makes me think that perhaps they should award championship points for fastest pit-stops as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.