• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Well this weekend is for Charlie then.

It's hard to describe the impact he's had on the sport and while he's had probably every driver shout and swear (Hello Seb!) at him, he was immensely respected on the grid.

How can we start a race without him, seriously.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well this weekend is for Charlie then.

It's hard to describe the impact he's had on the sport and while he's had probably every driver shout and swear (Hello Seb!) at him, he was immensely respected on the grid.

How can we start a race without him, seriously.

It's for losses like this that I'd love if F1 was more relaxed on the rules and more open about doing parades, memorials and such. Imagine something like this in Formula 1:

Few people in F1 deserve something like that more than Charlie does.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Charlie has been the one constant in F1 since I started watching. I honestly can't imagine an F1 weekend without him.

How much he's done for F1, and how much he means to everyone in F1, is exemplified in how none of the Drivers or Teams ask to speak to Race Control, they ask to speak to Charlie.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends. RIP Charlie.

F1 might need several people to do the jobs that Charlie did, he was a workaholic and he never stopped apparently.

They'll need more than a few. A new working group is probably the minimum.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's for losses like this that I'd love if F1 was more relaxed on the rules and more open about doing parades, memorials and such. Imagine something like this in Formula 1:

Few people in F1 deserve something like that more than Charlie does.

I was thinking about how they should do something like that this weekend. Like they could do the first lap without racing to honor his memory (as a gentlemen's agreement between all drivers and teams).

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Great bit from the BBC article on Charlie's passing:

Whiting was the ultimate poacher-turned-gamekeeper. Brabham, when he was there, were notorious for stretching the rules to breaking point - and sometimes beyond. And he would happily engage in light-hearted badinage about some of the more infamous stories.
At the Brazilian Grand Prix one year recently, Nelson Piquet's 1981 title-winning Brabham was being demonstrated by its former driver.
The car was notorious for taking pole at Monaco in 1981, only for the mechanics to fit a much heavier rear wing - which needed three of them to carry it - to ensure it was over the minimum weight limit afterwards.
This writer joked to Whiting that I'd just seen "that illegal 1981 Brabham that took pole at Monaco". He replied with a cheeky smile: "No, you haven't. You've just seen the perfectly legal one that ran later on."

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm surprised about that, because the front wing changed from inwash to outwash.

Not quite. There's a video by Scarbs mentioning that the tip of the end plate was slightly pointed inwards to generate a vortex to accelerate the flow of air outwards. And Merc pretty much confirmed the first week testing package is a representation of where the car was around Autumn last year...

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
That's terrible news.

He's going to be a very hard man to replace. I struggle to think of anyone else in F1 who had the respect of all the paddock.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Wholesome.

Max meanwhile

giphy.gif

King Picollo

Oct 28, 2017
Gutted about Charlie Whiting having a constant in the sport has helped to keep things sane. He'll be missed.

The drivers reactions in the BBC article are hard to read, he was there one day, gone the next. Makes you think about family, my Dad is around the same age.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Driver: "Ask Charlie if we have to give the position back"

1 lap later.

Engineer: "Charlie says we have to give the position back"

It won't be quite the same without him.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I bet drivers and teams will still be asking Charlie for a fair few races yet. Hard to break a 20 year habit.

Race Control should be shortened to RC then referred to using the NATO phonetic alphabet as Romeo Charlie (or just "Charlie" for short) in his honour.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Let's not jump to conclusion. Let the investigation complete.

I just realised we have F1 starting in just 5 hours. Hypeuuu!
Yeah so many things to look forward too. Danny at Renault and their progress as a team. Leclerc at Ferrari and their supposed advantage over Merc. RedBull Honda partnership. Will McLaren start getting their shit together? What about Lando Norris. Also Alfa Romeo progress. . So excited we are finally getting there.

Also, pick someone yourself down the line, because pretty much every driver has a following, they're all decent lads.
Except Kevin.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
BBC website article about restrictions on C4 highlights

Am I going to need to buy the sky pass after all :(
Good
Channel 4 last year had 65.7% of the total audience watching F1 in the UK, according to the sport's official figures. It says its average audience for live race coverage - lights to flag - was 2.9m. For the entire live race programme, the average was 2.5m.

It is aiming to keep its programming as recognisable and distinctive as possible, despite the loss of live race coverage.

The on-air line-up remains pretty much the same. The most high-profile figures - presenter Steve Jones, analysts David Coulthard and Mark Webber, and commentator Ben Edwards - are still on board.

Not good
Sky has imposed a series of restrictions on C4 in the contract for the highlights races, which will affect both the race coverage itself, and what happens around it.

For example, only 50% of the total running time of C4's programme can now be taken up by the on-track coverage - down from between 60-70% last year. They are not allowed to do interviews in what is known as the 'pen' - where all the drivers are taken to do a round-robin of broadcasters after qualifying and race - or in the pit lane. Any 'pen' interviews they use will have to come from Sky. The amount of interviews C4 can do in the paddock is restricted. And they have been forbidden from doing a 'grid walk'

Also highlights programs can not start until a minimum of 3 hours after the race has finished

Doesn't say how much of a race can be shown, and that 50% restriction is odd. Almost forces them to have more off-track discussion but then they can't have grid walk, pen interviews, pit lane interviews... maybe trying to force them to take sky feeds. Hopefully they'll be cheeky and do the interviews nearby but not technically in pit lane

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still going to throw my support C4's way, they still have the best team imo and Sky is just an all round shitty company. The 50% restriction means they'll have to dedicate more air time than is necessary if they want to show a decent portion of the race,

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
I went to cancel my F1TV sub before I could rebill. I signed up as soon as it went live last year. Turns out they pushed my sub back all the way to May and refunded me about $20 at some point. Maybe I should give it another go

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
The BBC need to fuck off when it comes to questioning the F1 FTA content in the UK.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
The BBC need to fuck off when it comes to questioning the F1 FTA content in the UK.
Naa As much as I'd love it to still be on the BBC, they don't have the money for the rights. Its not like Wombledon who don't even want to put it on anywhere else.

I was one of those that would gladly have paid the BBC to keep doing it if I could but it was never an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.