• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Dear Williams. Pls take parts from Merc to help you get back on your feet.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody got faster and Williams stood still. A few years ago, there were lots of teams way off the pace, now they're back there all by themselves. Claire needs to plant a spy in one of the other teams and get to copying their designs. Realistically, they need to try and be Mercedes' B team. Ferrari and Red Bull have a B team, so I'd think Mercedes would be open to it.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: I feel like pride comes before the fall with her. The speech about being a B team over her dead body was just so insane. They're a C level team under her management thus far to put it bluntly. HAAS and Racing point are atleast able to be competent and even get a good finish now and then, the same cannot be said for Williams
Yeah, I got that feeling too. The team went from B to C when Massa left but given that their last win was in 2012 (with fucking MALDONADO) and prior to that, it was 2004 with JPM, she inherited a shitshow. The only thing she failed at was to dig them out of it, really.

I'm on the 14 day free trial of Kayo Sports and it worked quite well. It did freeze twice (requiring me to refresh my browser), but the quality was otherwise excellent at 1080p. It uses the Sky feed for any Aussies who are curious.
I'm not disappointed with it, but I need to weigh up whether to stick with it but not have access to historical F1 stuff (plus timing) or get the F1 sub again but have to faff around with VPNs etc.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So, the three top teams are very very close. Undoubtedly. I don't think I ever saw a season opener FP1 end up with everyone this close. Between Max and Daniil it seems the Honda is very much delivered a competitive package. Remains to be seen if their party mode can match the top two, but as we've seen last year, that isn't too much of an issue as long as RBR is closer and they can bring down that qualy gap throughout the year.

I am very optimistic that this year could very well be a three-way battle for the championship.

Midfield bar Williams seems equally competitive. Looks like we might have a top right there between Haas, Alfa and STR for the first few races. The rest isn't far behind, so yeah.

2019 is looking really good.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
So, the three top teams are very very close. Undoubtedly. I don't think I ever saw a season opener FP1 end up with everyone this close. Between Max and Daniil it seems the Honda is very much delivered a competitive package. Remains to be seen if their party mode can match the top two, but as we've seen last year, that isn't too much of an issue as long as RBR is closer and they can bring down that qualy gap throughout the year.

I am very optimistic that this year could very well be a three-way battle for the championship.

Midfield bar Williams seems equally competitive. Looks like we might have a top right there between Haas, Alfa and STR for the first few races. The rest isn't far behind, so yeah.

2019 is looking really good.
Probably better to wait until qually though.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Probably better to wait until qually though.
Not really. As far as pace goes, everyone has shown their cards. Yes, qualy might show another .7s lead lap by HAM, or party mode shenanigans, but just like last year that won't negate the general race pace everyone has.

Sandbagging is not really a thing that's happening now either, nobody had anything to gain by that, since nobody is going to release any updates between now and tomorrow.

Rest easy, we will still get a relatively boring race on Sunday, but this season will see some very close differences from race to race.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Stupid question, as I'm sure this has been brought up before. First of all, im actually with the defacto b team situation going on right now as the team b teams I find to be competitive. That being said, is there nothing that the FIA could do to entice some more engine suppliers to F1? There are so many genuinely massive car companies. Not one or two more could be enticed in?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not disappointed with it, but I need to weigh up whether to stick with it but not have access to historical F1 stuff (plus timing) or get the F1 sub again but have to faff around with VPNs etc.

If you watch multiple sports Kayo worth it. As loath as I am to give Rupert Murdoch money, $25 a month for all the cricket, NRL, AFL, and F1 with good streaming quality is worth it for me.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
If you watch multiple sports Kayo worth it. As loath as I am to give Rupert Murdoch money, $25 a month for all the cricket, NRL, AFL, and F1 with good streaming quality is worth it for me.
Basically, only F1. So... I'm pretty fucking conflicted to be honest.

I have a new Android phone (old one is an iPhone) so if it's easy enough to bypass regional bullshit on this thing, I'll stick with F1-only after this weekend.

Actually, does the F1 app stream in 50hz at all? Because I know that Kayo definitely does. That could be a clincher too.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
There's talk of a standard gearbox but the casing CAN still be built by the teams. That's a good one, saves a few million on budget and it doesn't really effect performance of the car
That's not talk, that is a thing that is happening. The tender for manufacturers is closing in a few days. Biggest difference is that they'll go from 8 to 7 gears.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That's not talk, that is a thing that is happening. The tender for manufacturers is closing in a few days. Biggest difference is that they'll go from 8 to 7 gears.

Forgot all about the tender. I can live with that change, it's not really a huge deal. I could see them wanting to go back to non hybrid simpler engines.....but all that R and D money already spent...

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i'm sure there was sandbagging, but i still wasn't expecting Raikonnen to be so high in the standings.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
So after spending all winter including the F1 in their promos, I woke up early today and figured I might as well stick FP2 on. Bein Sports aren't showing any F1 this season in the Middle East, it's on a random fucking FTA channel with Arabic commentary only.

The best part is they claim they didn't continue due to piracy, so now the only way to watch the F1 in the Middle East is to stream it.

I fucking hate exclusive rights.

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to Mercedes for winning another WCC and tying Ferrari's record of most WCCs in a row (6).

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta wait for qualis tomorrow at the very least, but Mercedes' "oh man we're like half a second behind this year, Ferrari gonna murder us!!111" comments at the start of every year make me roll my eyes so hard.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Considering last years pole was a 1.21.1 and last year we ended fp2 with a 1.23.9 we're in for a fun qualifying session.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
There's talk of a standard gearbox but the casing CAN still be built by the teams. That's a good one, saves a few million on budget and it doesn't really effect performance of the car
Yeah the cartridge tender was put out a while back, as suspected it is based on the Merc idea of having a gearbox contained within a separate housing which forms the rear of the car. They brought it in about 5 years ago so I'm guessing most do it now.

So instead of building a gearbox with all the suspension mounting points that now can't be moved because it can't be changed mid season, they now just build a cartridge that houses all the gears which then sits inside the rear element of the car. Now you csn change anything about the rear that you want. Wheelbase, suspension mounting points, etc.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like every practice session that's ever been, who reads into such thing?

Same with testing. We will only know cars true pace once qualifying starts.

The drivers will know the pace now but on the outside nobody knows.

Dutch

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well this one is over and in the books.

Next year is gonna be the year Ferrari will compete with Mercedes again!

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Alfa being 3.2 seconds faster than the same session last year, they're looking good.

Edit: Meanwhile Williams nearly a second slower, just how..?

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched F1 for a long time, but played F1 2017 thanks to PSNow recently so I'm a bit interested again.
Hope i can catch some of the races. :D

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
So this might be a stupid question but what is the reasoning behind prohibiting gear ratio changes? I know the rule has been around for a while but was this done just to lower costs? Because I can't imagine how it cost a lot of money and running the same ratios in Monaco and Monza seems kind of stupid and you've seen people run into the rev limiter in the last year too.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So this might be a stupid question but what is the reasoning behind prohibiting gear ratio changes? I know the rule has been around for a while but was this done just to lower costs? Because I can't imagine how it cost a lot of money and running the same ratios in Monaco and Monza seems kind of stupid and you've seen people run into the rev limiter in the last year too.
IIRC it was done to prevent teams from going into a development race on the powertrain front, a cost saving matter if you will.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be exciting if Kimi won the F1.5 WDC this year.

Poor Williams, the gap to the midfield is huge.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone really believe Mercedes was worried or actually that far behind Ferrari?

I mean, they do this song and dance every year and then usually dominate in terms of raw pace in Melbourne. Last year Vettel won here but due to a lucky VSC, Mercedes was stronger. I haven't believed their "oh shit we have a 0.6 second deficit, we're ruined" drama for one second.

Now, if that gap is confirmed in quali and in the race they finish some 20 seconds behind the Reds, we can start talking. But alas, that doesn't seem likely at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.