• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Okay so after watching the netflix documentary it has made me want to get into F1 this year.

I will be supporting Renault because Hülkenberg has the best name.

That is all.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I choose badly it would seem....

I don't support anyone in F1, I just enjoy watching good racing. I do prefer Verstappen because he's such a great talent but I'm not too fussed on the result as long as we have good battles on the track.

Having said that, I'd be delighted if someone other than Hamilton or Vettel won the title cos those two bore me.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
No times matter until Qualifying.

We've seen in the last page of the thread people treating P1 times as gospel and then dismissing P2 times, people treating P2 times as gospel and dismissing P1 times, people analysing and over-analysing Winter Testing times.

None of it matters.

We wont know where the teams stand roughly until the end of Q3, and we wont have a full picture until the end of the race in China*.

*With the notable exception that WIlliams are dead last by at least a second, there's no masking or sandbagging that one.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen this story before.

It ends with Hamilton crushing everyone and the hopes of a good season with it.

Better start getting ready for it now.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
*With the notable exception that WIlliams are dead last by at least a second, there's no masking or sandbagging that one.

Maybe Williams have secretly developed the most advanced and powerful sandbags ever.

They just haven't quite figured out how to turn them off.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Maybe Williams have secretly developed the most advanced and powerful sandbags ever.

They just haven't quite figured out how to turn them off.

We go live to the WIlliam's Garage, moments before Q1:
tumblr_inline_nvgdvtwYPo1r5ight_500.gif

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Motorsport Racer released for Switch yesterday and it's 20% off launch price. Though I'm afraid it will be half as interesting without mods for F1 league.

Dutch

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
F1 are upping their Practice Highlights game on Youtube, these are a better than last years:

More info, better presentation, nice and snappy.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The BBC have got themselves a mole, and he thinks Ferrari are running into a dead end.

The manipulation of air around a car is the single biggest performance differentiator in F1 - and collectively the teams employ hundreds of people and spend many millions of pounds on refining it to find that crucial extra bit of speed.

I am one of the people who does that. I am a senior aerodynamicist for an F1 team and I hope to try to explain to you some of the secrets behind F1 cars.

I can't tell you my name, or where I work, because my team would not want me to be doing this. F1 is a secretive world. So let's just call me The Secret Aerodynamicist.

Because of the need to back out the ends of the wing so much, the Ferrari is always going to struggle to match the Mercedes style for absolute load. As the teams develop through the season, putting on more and more downforce at the back of the car, Ferrari might struggle to balance it out at the front. If so, that would give them a car hamstrung with understeer which just won't turn into the corners.

On the Ferrari, there are already clues that they might be trying to compensate elsewhere for a lack of downforce generated from the front wing.

Ferrari's philosophy could not only give them problems balancing the car front to rear as the season progresses, but also limit the amount of total downforce it can create. As the season goes on, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mercedes out-develop them, while the Scuderia find themselves stuck down a blind alley.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
This is only my second fully attentive season but I'll try anyway.

Guise it's just practice. Also, Autosport saying Ferrari "holding something back".

Jul 19, 2018
Ferrari were regularly mediocre on Fridays last season before turning up on Saturday, don't think this is any different.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
"As the season goes on, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mercedes out-develop them, while the Scuderia find themselves stuck down a blind alley."

Much like all previous seasons then? That's impossible!
Ha, I was saying the same thing to a coworker yesterday. I should contribute to the BBC!

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
1) people taking practice results literally
2) a source says team is in a developmental stall
3) an analysis says same team was sandbagging heavily.

Welcome to the first practice of the year. Seriously people, we should know by now to just wait for first qualifying

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
This is only my second fully attentive season but I'll try anyway.

Guise it's just practice. Also, Autosport saying Ferrari "holding something back".

They are perhaps "holding back", but I'd much rather believe Ferrari's own narrative (and AMuS) that they were hampered by set-up issues, and their car, whilst 'planted' was very understeery compared to the Mercedes.

Nothing that's not fixable by tomorrow though - Ferrari is known to be on the ball between FP2 and FP3, so I'd expect them right up with Mercedes, if not ahead (as preseason suggested) when it's all said and done.

It's also quite possible Mercedes managed to overhaul them from getting a better understanding of their new aero package which obviously would go against every journo's agenda of Ferrari being at the top of the pecking order to start the season.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
We all know its Wax giving his info direct to the Beeb.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
A really interesting video on Bottas explaining how they use the steering wheel in the car.
Just mind boggling they even have time to think about doing anything on the wheel let alone adjust all the buttons to exactly how they are required:

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
A really interesting video on Bottas explaining how they use the steering wheel in the car.
Just mind boggling they even have time to think about doing anything on the wheel let alone adjust all the buttons to exactly how they are required:

Its another of the thinfs I wonder if F1 would consider simplifying. The driver changing his diff does sod all for the show, these wheels are like £30k each.

I suppose they won't all the time they need to manage these PUs.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how long before the Red Bull people start shit talking Honda.

Unless Honda can make a PU as good as Ferrari or Mercedes I expect that relationship to go sour pretty fast.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Wonder how long before the Red Bull people start shit talking Honda.

Unless Honda can make a PU as good as Ferrari or Mercedes I expect that relationship to go sour pretty fast.

The insinuation from Horner seemed to be that either A) they would get more value for their money from Honda because Red Bull can put input into the design or B) Honda is just plain charging them less. Hopefully it's A and not B, because you get what you pay for usually

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Red Bull will be less public about any negative engine comments since they don't have much recourse if Honda doesn't work out. Renault wouldn't be happy supplying them again and Ferrari and Mercedes might not since they're a competitor at the front.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Honda giving 100 million per year to whichever team accepts to get their engines or something?

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The insinuation from Horner seemed to be that either A) they would get more value for their money from Honda because Red Bull can put input into the design or B) Honda is just plain charging them less. Hopefully it's A and not B, because you get what you pay for usually

They used to be in good term with Renault till they started shit talking them.

I guess A is probably true, but McLaren tried to do the same thing and it turned into a mess, maybe Red Bull has better engine people and Honda can take and apply good input.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
They used to be in good term with Renault till they started shit talking them.

I guess A is probably true, but McLaren tried to do the same thing and it turned into a mess, maybe Red Bull has better engine people and Honda can take and apply good input.

Speaking of McLaren.....why don't they make their own engines? They make hyper cars. Unless they don't make those engines either and i've been living a lie my whole life

Status
Not open for further replies.