• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of McLaren.....why don't they make their own engines? They make hyper cars. Unless they don't make those engines either and i've been living a lie my whole life
They don't make those engines either. Well thats a misnomer. They do, but its not all from scratch their own. Many in recent times used a very modified Nissan

A nice read on them
https://jalopnik.com/this-20-year-old-nissan-is-the-origin-of-all-of-mclaren-1793155467

Here is a video of the new Cosworth v12 engine for the Valkyrie. well worth a watch.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I corrected. They do make them, but its not from an engine design entirely of their own creation.
Okay, so i suppose it's back to my original proposal. They can make their own engine if they were arsed to. With FIA proposing payment for engine supplier, and separate payment to teams (so 2 payments to Ferrari for example) i wonder if they might look into that.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so i suppose it's back to my original proposal. They can make their own engine if they were arsed to. With FIA proposing payment for engine supplier, and separate payment to teams (so 2 payments to Ferrari for example) i wonder if they might look into that.
Its more likely they'd acquire someone if they were going to start doing it. Has to be worth the costs and the risks.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Oh yeah, 11pm Friday night qualy session!

Want to happen: Leclerc on pole
Will happen: Lewis on pole

Lewis with a 1:21.164 Q3 pole time last year.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Used to watch F1 a lot when I was little, and have gotten more interested in it recently after years of not following it. Saw that Drive to Survive series on Netflix and decided to hop on following it this year. Pardon me for being mostly completely ignorant about the sport aside from this one series I saw. And just a note on the series, Verstappen comes across as a huge dick in it and so does the Force India team for picking Perez over Ocon. Especially since Perez seemed to purposefully push Ocon in that Singapore race.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Used to watch F1 a lot when I was little, and have gotten more interested in it recently after years of not following it. Saw that Drive to Survive series on Netflix and decided to hop on following it this year. Pardon me for being mostly completely ignorant about the sport aside from this one series I saw. And just a note on the series, Verstappen comes across as a huge dick in it and so does the Force India team for picking Perez over Ocon. Especially since Perez seemed to purposefully push Ocon in that Singapore race.
That documentary is some drama central, everything in that ' documentary ' was dramatized so badly. I wouldn't really put any stock in it. Just watch as the season goes and have fun

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
FP3 should get us a lot closer to seeing who has the edge this weekend. Sandbags are pointless at this point.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I figured it be the case. The documentary makes it seem like the chiefs of the crew keep egging on these rivalries between their own drivers and it just seems to be to the detriment of the team at the end. The one in charge for Haas has some really asshole-ish jokes about Grosjean during that dinner that I thought were just unnecessary.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I figured it be the case. The documentary makes it seem like the chiefs of the crew keep egging on these rivalries between their own drivers and it just seems to be to the detriment of the team at the end. The one in charge for Haas has some really asshole-ish jokes about Grosjean during that dinner that I thought were just unnecessary.
The only legitimate drama about it is Horner's and Cyrils. Those two aren't gonna stop bickering at each other like a divorced couple.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only legitimate drama about it is Horner's and Cyrils. Those two aren't gonna stop bickering at each other like a divorced couple.
Yeah that whole bit was kind of a funny exchange with all the drama in it. I wonder how much these people are making with these jobs.

Also, question what's up with two teams basically being from Red Bull?

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that whole bit was kind of a funny exchange with all the drama in it. I wonder how much these people are making with these jobs.

Also, question what's up with two teams basically being from Red Bull?
If you watched F1 before I'm sure you know the team called Minardi, Minardi was sold to Red bulls owner so they now have two teams.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you watched F1 before I'm sure you know the team called Minardi, Minardi was sold to Red bulls owner so they now have two teams.
Just for you to have a notion of how long I haven't watched F1, the last thing I remember about it of when I still activelly followed is that there was a pilot named Irvine who raced for the team that had green cars. And since I was a kid, I only cared about it because the cars were green and the dude's name was something I thought sounded cool.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Just for you to have a notion of how long I haven't watched F1, the last thing I remember about it of when I still activelly followed is that there was a pilot named Irvine who raced for the team that had green cars. And since I was a kid, I only cared about it because the cars were green and the dude's name was something I thought sounded cool.
You're probably talking about Eddie Irvine driving for Jordan Grand Prix, Minardi was indeed racing at that time. But yea Minardi was sold to Dietrich Mateschitz who owns Red bull so now they just have two teams. But welcome aboard man, i hope you enjoy the ride in this circus called F1 all over again. Its a wonderful sport to follow if i say so myself.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably talking about Eddie Irvine driving for Jordan Grand Prix, Minardi was indeed racing at that time. But yea Minardi was sold to Dietrich Mateschitz who owns Red bull so now they just have two teams. But welcome aboard man, i hope you enjoy the ride in this circus called F1 all over again. Its a wonderful sport to follow if i say so myself.
Huh, had no idea that red bull was austrian. Kind of sucks that they have two teams but it's odd that one seems to be so much better than the other?

Yeah it's fun to be back in it, I have some friends who are really into the sport so it'll be fun following along again.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Huh, had no idea that red bull was austrian. Kind of sucks that they have two teams but it's odd that one seems to be so much better than the other?

Yeah it's fun to be back in it, I have some friends who are really into the sport so it'll be fun following along again.
Yeah they're basically two different teams that operate differently but they're both owned by Red bull. Red bull main team also spends more money on the sport that Toro Rosso that's why one is better than the other. One operates on Milton Keynes and one operates in Italy

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're basically two different teams that operate differently but they're both owned by Red bull. Red bull main team also spends more money on the sport that Toro Rosso that's why one is better than the other. One operates on Milton Keynes and one operates in Italy
Ah I see, kind of blows that one has so much more focus. Don't really understand the point behind that but ok I guess.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Ah I see, kind of blows that one has so much more focus. Don't really understand the point behind that but ok I guess.
Don't quote me on this but i think Red bull has been trying to sell Toro Rosso for years but unfortunately no one has been biting, formula one is really an expensive sport so there aren't alot of interested manufacturers.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The team was Jaguar, from when they were still owned by Ford. That team is now Red Bull.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, and by the way, the team once known as Tyrrell is now the best one on the grid.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Mercedes and Ferrari just look like theyre chucking fucking haymakers at each other. Have they been told it's not qualifying yet? Also, leclerc is looking good

MortosDer

Oct 27, 2017
How do you fuck up car development so bad?
Like. Williams is looking like those joke teams from the 90's. Holy shit. Like, at what point did they realize they had a shit car?
Maybe Claire should go. But you can't tell me this isn't on Lowe's ass too.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
How do you fuck up car development so bad?
Like. Williams is looking like those joke teams from the 90's. Holy shit. Like, at what point did they realize they had a shit car?
Maybe Claire should go. But you can't tell me this isn't on Lowe's ass too.

Williams refuses to change with the times. In the F1 Netflix documentary, Claire Williams has a speech that she'd rather die than have them become a b team. It doesn't exactly seem to harm HAAS or any of the others. The upper management just comes off as delusional at this point

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
The HAAS livery is so dull. Doesn't stand out or catch the light in any way.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Mother fucker. This season is another wash. Just like the NBA.

I need some new competitive sports to follow.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
wow these Q1 times

If the race is as good... I'll buy tickets for Austin on Monday :D

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the new tyre warming blanket regs means that top teams.can no longer just do one lap per session and put.

They need many warm up laps to warm up and extract the potential from the tyres.

Status
Not open for further replies.