• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't let Leclerc pass Vettel in the very first race. I'm pretty sure Vettel won't have any problems beating him when they won't even let him race.

Not gonna go into this again but that is absolutely standard procedure at this point. Shall I remind you of early 2010 in which Alonso was told not to attack Massa in the first races of the season whenever he was behind? There was no point in switching positions at that point considering Leclerc was never gonna catch the drivers in front.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How'd that work out again?...

Irrelevant to the point. Most teams won't have their teammates fight on track after the last pitstop when their positions are "fixed" (no going forward and no threat from behind). Even Red Bull often imposed this, it's just that their drivers didn't really give a shit (Vettel back then, nowadays Verstappen). It's a bit of a tired meme that Ferrari is doing team orders to push Vettel because of a situation that happens all the time at just about any team.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
My god, people still complaining about the Leclerc thing. I wonder if these people were around when Schumacher tried to make an intentional photo finish so Barichello could win but fucked up and ended up winning himself. These people would rend the flesh from the faces in the "horror" of what is happening to the most honourable f1 *eye roll*

edit: Actually, my mistake. Barrichello did take that win. Same thing applies though, if not more so

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna go into this again but that is absolutely standard procedure at this point. Shall I remind you of early 2010 in which Alonso was told not to attack Massa in the first races of the season whenever he was behind? There was no point in switching positions at that point considering Leclerc was never gonna catch the drivers in front.

Sure, but it's not like Ferrari has a well known reputation for letting their driver's race each other anyway.

Im sure Leclerc will get his chance, and I'm sure if he out qualifies Vettel a lot then they will let him race, but Ferrari very much has a #1 and #2 Driver.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My god, people still complaining about the Leclerc thing. I wonder if these people were around when Schumacher tried to make an intentional photo finish so Barichello could win but fucked up and ended up winning himself. These people would rend the flesh from the faces in the "horror" of what is happening to the most honourable f1 *eye roll*

edit: Actually, my mistake. Barrichello did take that win. Same thing applies though, if not more so

They don't even have to go that far. Just look back to what Bottas did in Hungary for a wingman. How Piquet Jr. crashed into a wall intentionally to have his teammate capitalize on a safety car. Or if we want to go back to those days, how Coulthard intentionally took out Schumacher from the lead while getting lapped, which later handed the title to Hakkinen.

But yeah, not allowing two teammates to fight after the last pitstop on the first race of the season... the horror.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
They don't even have to go that far. Just look back to what Bottas did in Hungary for a wingman. How Piquet Jr. crashed into a wall intentionally to have his teammate capitalize on a safety car. Or if we want to go back to those days, how Coulthard intentionally took out Schumacher from the lead while getting lapped, which later handed the title to Hakkinen.

But yeah, not allowing two teammates to fight after the last pitstop on the first race of the season... the horror.

It's a Ferrari thing. If it were Ferrari that perpetrated the 2007 spygate thing and not Mclaren we would STILL be hearing about it. But nah, it mysteriously is never brought up and people only hope for the best for them....

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Was looking through kimi's records and notable achievements earlier. Maybe I'm reading the "fandom" wrong but whenever people mention Alonso as an all time great driver Kimi never seems to be brought up. It's like people only think of post retirement Kimi and his personality and it overshadows his ability. The record for most consecutive fast laps, six consecutive fast laps in a race, 10 fastest laps in a season twice etc

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Was looking through kimi's records and notable achievements earlier. Maybe I'm reading the "fandom" wrong but whenever people mention Alonso as an all time great driver Kimi never seems to be brought up. It's like people only think of post retirement Kimi and his personality and it overshadows his ability. The record for most consecutive fast laps, six consecutive fast laps in a race, 10 fastest laps in a season twice etc

Yeah Kimi is amazing. He's a world champion for a reason. He's nearly a multiple world champion a few times too. He's still top fucking tier too, just a little past his prime.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Kimi was known for doing fast laps at the end of the races while others were saving equipment. That doesn't say anything about how good he is as a driver in my opinion. I'm more impressed by his spatial awareness and lightning fast reflexes avoiding other drivers, like for example when Verstappen decides to drive like an idiot. But Nando is in another league. Too bad his mother didn't cut his tongue when he came to this world (he would be a jerk in sign language tho).

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi IDK what F1 is/was but I watched the documentary so here I am let's go Red Bull

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Apparently the Bahrain GP is also going to be on Sky One according to a post on Hot Deals UK, so you can still watch it on a NowTV entertainment pass rather than the sports pass that costs way more. Not bad if true!

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So in the Red Bull episode of that Netflix Documentary it seemed like the engines Renault was supplying to Red Bull we not suitable. So Daniel Ricciardo decides to leave Red Bull....for Renault?

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
So in the Red Bull episode of that Netflix Documentary it seemed like the engines Renault was supplying to Red Bull we not suitable. So Daniel Ricciardo decides to leave Red Bull....for Renault?
It was the best non-RBR ride he could get. Abiteboul seemed to sign him almost purely out of spite. Does anyone, who isn't French, root for Renault?

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
As others have said, the best none red bull ride he could get. But even then, you can see his long term logic as Renault makes the car and the engine, which Redbull does not. He even said in the doc he's thinking two, three years down the line

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Does anyone, who isn't French, root for Renault?
I think that was a big part of them signing Ricciardo. He's arguably the most popular driver on the F1 grid and he's PR gold.

Renault are the biggest manufacturer involved with F1, so it's not a question of them being short on cash. Cyril Irritable just has to convince the higher ups that they're a worthwhile investment if they want a bigger budget, and they need a higher profile to achieve that. Results are the best way to do that, but that can tricky without the budget. On the other hand, a driver like Ricciardo can help raise a team's profile pretty quickly.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I like Danny as much as the next guy, but it sucks that he's stuck in that car now.

And his name is Avocado.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Just out of curiosity, is there any rule to say that a driver couldn't compete in both GP2 and F1 at the same time? There wouldn't be any clashing races, so I'm just wondering.

I was looking back at the 2004 season and Ralf's injury layoff, and got to wondering why Williams didn't try putting an F3000 driver in the car. Admittedly it was Liuzi who was dominating F3000 at the time, but surely he would've been a better option than Gene or Pizzonia, and could've easily done both series at the same time. I know that was a common occurrence back in the day (e.g. Jim Clark).

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Do you mean Honda? They'd be the only one who could possibly be bigger. But considering that Renault is aligned with nissan and Mitsubishi to the point they have a shared board. Even then...

I have not considered the Renault-Nissan-Alliance as a single manufacturer. For me to consider Renault-Nissan as one I think I would need an actual merger or takeover to take place.

Status
Not open for further replies.