• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

giphy.gif

Too many dots to connect on that story, but I'll see

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This feels like those creative writing exercises where you gotta reach a given conclusion by tying together whatever element you find. An unsubstantiated rumor about Vettel wanting to leave Ferrari somehow turns into leaked documents which reveal Ricciardo is coming in, odd shit about Raikkonen (who should have been sacked God knows how many years ago), or the even more hilarious suggestion that Ferrari would find a worthy substitute for their 4-times world champion in... Valtteri Bottas.

A creative article, that's for sure.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
This feels like those creative writing exercises where you gotta reach a given conclusion by tying together whatever element you find. An unsubstantiated rumor about Vettel wanting to leave Ferrari somehow turns into leaked documents which reveal Ricciardo is coming in, odd shit about Raikkonen (who should have been sacked God knows how many years ago), or the even more hilarious suggestion that Ferrari would find a worthy substitute for their 4-times world champion in... Valtteri Bottas.

Yeah, I did have to look at that bit twice to make sure I hadn't just misread it!

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe Lando Norris has a donation button on Twitch and thanks people on air for subscribing to him and shit lol

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

A creative article, that's for sure.

If the bit about Ricciardo having a clause that allows him to leave for Mercedes or Ferrari... Abiteboul might just be the worst team boss ever if that's true. Seriously why wouldn't Ricciardo take that deal in that situation? Gets an insane salary and if a top team comes by he can just au revoir out of there.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
If the bit about Ricciardo having a clause that allows him to leave for Mercedes or Ferrari... Abiteboul might just be the worst team boss ever if that's true. Seriously why wouldn't Ricciardo take that deal in that situation? Gets an insane salary and if a top team comes by he can just au revoir out of there.
They probably had to put that in there to tempt him away from Red Bull.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
They probably had to put that in there to tempt him away from Red Bull.

At the time they probably thought that there was no chance of a seat coming up so it would almost have been a nice deal sweetener that they thought had no chance of coming to pass.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It makes sense I guess from that point, but still. That kind of money and that clause when you know Bottas is on a 1-year deal.

With all due respect to Bottas I don't think he's the same level as Ricciardo. He's not a top tier driver so I don't know how much benefit he would be to a team wanting to work their way upwards.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
With all due respect to Bottas I don't think he's the same level as Ricciardo. He's not a top tier driver so I don't know how much benefit he would be to a team wanting to work their way upwards.

I think that was the point. Why give Ric so much money and that clause when you know he could replace Bottas after one season

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
But why would that be? It's not like Bottas' contract situation has been secret.

But it's been consistent. They probably think that as Mercedes turned him down for this year they wouldn't be likely to change their minds next year either.

Either way it's a bit of a foolish clause, especially given how Bottas got his place in the Mercedes team.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

But, this has very plainly and visibly not be the case.

You can argue about how good the show has been, but cars have objectively been able to follow closer, for longer, than they have been in years prior.

Now, rather than the orgy of overtaking some people want, this has mostly led to trains of cars lapping together at 1 second apart, but thats is compared to the 3 seconds apart they were forced to hang back before.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

So this guy says Gasly isn't adapting to the car demands, probably but don't discount the psychological effect of bad results

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
But, this has very plainly and visibly not be the case.

You can argue about how good the show has been, but cars have objectively been able to follow closer, for longer, than they have been in years prior.

Now, rather than the orgy of overtaking some people want, this has mostly led to trains of cars lapping together at 1 second apart, but thats is compared to the 3 seconds apart they were forced to hang back before.

I think this has also been in part due to the change to tougher tires that can withstand the punishment. But to be under 1 second for a while and not be able to pass must be maddening.

Brinksman

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly it's worth being halfway discerning about the sources we share just for newcomers' sake, because this is one of the most obviously fabricated piece of trash articles to widely circulate in a while.

As a general rule of thumb, if none of AMuS, Motor Sport Magazine, the Motorsport Network, or RaceFans are reporting on or acknowledging a story like this, it's fairly safe to assume the writer has no connections and the article is raw garbage.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
It certainly sounds like fantasy, but I do think retiring on a high rather than lingering in the sport has its merits. I know some top drivers love to stay forever, a la Alonso and Kimi regardless of chance of victory, but I also imagine others will want to leave and turn to family and other adventures, a la Rosberg and Button.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It certainly sounds like fantasy, but I do think retiring on a high rather than lingering in the sport has its merits. I know some top drivers love to stay forever, a la Alonso and Kimi regardless of chance of victory, but I also imagine others will want to leave and turn to family and other adventures, a la Rosberg and Button.

That's true, but this could be said for anyone. Hamilton could retire at the end of this season if the rumbling in the team is that next year's car is gonna struggle. Does it sound plausible? Hardly. I yet have to see a single compelling element to support the claim Vettel could actually retire at the end of the year. Sure, he's disappointed he's not fighting for the title, he hasn't won one in 5 years and his only victory of the season was taken away by a shit FIA decision, but it's not like this is the first time he's been wronged in his career or anything.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
That's true, but this could be said for anyone. Hamilton could retire at the end of this season if the rumbling in the team is that next year's car is gonna struggle. Does it sound plausible? Hardly. I yet have to see a single compelling element to support the claim Vettel could actually retire at the end of the year. Sure, he's disappointed he's not fighting for the title, he hasn't won one in 5 years and his only victory of the season was taken away by a shit FIA decision, but it's not like this is the first time he's been wronged in his career or anything.
Oh sure. I just meant I would not be shocked if someone did this. So as a "rumor" it can be written about any of the guys in F1, except maybe Hamilton who is clearly on a winning streak.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

For what it's worth, Bottas actually beat Ricciardo in lower formulae. And Bottas has beat Massa (in qualifying) in the same fashion Alonso did. Point is, Bottas is no slouch over 1 lap. I do agree however he tends to fade in the race.

Hamilton could retire at the end of this season if the rumbling in the team is that next year's car is gonna struggle

Why would next year's Mercedes struggle? 2019 regulations will carry into 2020.

Oct 26, 2017
it's intentional, he's been doing this for years. He's been directly asked by mods to source his claims over and over and has been banned for exactly this in the past.
This. It's not really "banter" when they don't engage with the community. They just turn up about once a page or so, post something ridiculous or mildly inflammatory and then disappear.

Like I said, I just filtered them out, but a week long ban is justified considering they'd been warned in the past.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It makes sense I guess from that point, but still. That kind of money and that clause when you know Bottas is on a 1-year deal.
If Merc wanted Ricciardo they could've already had him this year, so it was (and still is) unlikely that they'd change their mind and risk upsetting the dominance they currently enjoy.

From Renault's point of view, of course they'd make that concession if that was what it took to get Ricciardo. The chances of a Merc or Ferrari seat opening up are small, and it meant attracting not only a top talent to their team, but someone who's a fan favourite and raises the team's profile. Red Bull had offered to match the money of the Renault deal, so money wasn't going to be enough to get Ricciardo's signature. I assumed that number 1 status and team potential was their draw card, but if that clause is true then it probably played a huge role too.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They will only just have started designing their 2020 car, and it largely goes unchanged from this year. Why exactly would they struggle?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would next year's Mercedes struggle? 2019 regulations will carry into 2020.
They will only just have started designing their 2020 car, and it largely goes unchanged from this year. Why exactly would they struggle?

I'm not saying this is gonna happen, I'm saying that in theory even Hamilton could be retiring at the end of the year if he feels certain things. It doesn't sound any more credible or substantiated right now than Vettel quitting F1.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'm not saying this is gonna happen, I'm saying that in theory even Hamilton could be retiring at the end of the year if he feels certain things. It doesn't sound any more credible or substantiated right now than Vettel quitting F1.
Well Vettel just got married, and endured the humiliation of Canada, and is not driving for a team that is dominating the sport, so their circumstances are quite different. Not that I think he's going to retire, just pointing out the obvious difference.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

Actually, the top teams started designing 2020 earlier this year - though given the continuity in regulations, they will be refining said design based on 2019's developments. If anything, the top teams are focussing on sketching out concepts for 2021 at the moment.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, the top teams started designing 2020 earlier this year - though given the continuity in regulations, they will be refining said design based on 2019's developments. If anything, the top teams are focussing on sketching out concepts for 2021 at the moment.

There's a few people doing stuff for 2021, but absolutely it's not their focus right now. And actually it's not until about June (the early summer timeframe) that they start putting significant resource into designing the following year's car.

Source: I work with one of the top teams, and some of the others.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Mods are going to need to ban a hell of a lot of members, then!

And the forum and readability and interactability would be much better off, if they did. That being said if someones sole motivation for posting here is not interacting with other people but just riling them up and thus derailing threads with every post they make, a permanent ban seems like a good thing to me.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Vettel last won a WDC 6 years ago. He last won a race 11 months ago. He's recently married. He's being beaten by his younger, hungrier, darling of the paddock team-mate. He's clearly disillusioned with the current rules and regulations.

Hamilton is current WDC. He last won a race 2 weeks ago. He's still living his jet-setting lifestyle. He's once again trouncing his limited, unambitious, docile team-mate. The current rules and regulations are his bread and butter.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but Vettel retiring is a million times more likely than Hamilton.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vettel last won a WDC 6 years ago. He last won a race 11 months ago. He's recently married. He's being beaten by his younger, hungrier, darling of the paddock team-mate. He's clearly disillusioned with the current rules and regulations.

Hamilton is current WDC. He last won a race 2 weeks ago. He's still living his jet-setting lifestyle. He's once again trouncing his limited, unambitious, docile team-mate. The current rules and regulations are his bread and butter.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but Vettel retiring is a million times more likely than Hamilton.

Thing is, we're making assumptions about both drivers because there is no substantiated rumor so far about Vettel retiring. I honestly don't believe in it in the slightest, even if it does happen in the next 6-24 months I'm pretty sure the person who started spreading this "rumor" just made it up. Drivers have ups and downs, and Vettel may not be in his best ever moment F1-wise, but he's still one of the best drivers on the grid sitting in one of the best cars. If he's depressed, I'd say two thirds of the grid are in a worse shape.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Thing is, we're making assumptions about both drivers because there is no substantiated rumor so far about Vettel retiring. I honestly don't believe in it in the slightest, even if it does happen in the next 6-24 months I'm pretty sure the person who started spreading this "rumor" just made it up. Drivers have ups and downs, and Vettel may not be in his best ever moment F1-wise, but he's still one of the best drivers on the grid sitting in one of the best cars. If he's depressed, I'd say two thirds of the grid are in a worse shape.
You don't think Ferrari would be developing a plan for it, just in case it happens? If you're a top F1 team, then the unexpected departure of your top driver is possibly the biggest risk facing your business. As that risk increases, I'm sure the planning becomes much more substantial.

He married his high school sweetheart with whom he has two kids. Why would marriage suddenly change things?

Status
Not open for further replies.