• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
During my research of the sport, stumbled on this article today called A Beginner's Guide to F1 cliches, which is on the official F1 site, and it's quite amusing.

"We're still evaluating our options for next year"
When you'll hear it: When a team principal is asked about their driver line-up for the following season
What it means: "I'd advise one or both of our current drivers to start looking for a new job, sharpish"

"Honestly, I'm just taking it one race at a time"
When you'll hear it: When the championship leader is asked whether they've started thinking about the title
What it means: "I have already chosen the name of the boat that I will buy with my championship bonus"

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly surprised that Ferrari have the stronger engine but lack downforce.

Regarding the downforce. The weird part is that they've had this problem since the start of the season and seemingly none of the updates have gotten them closer to fixing it.

It's safe to say it's a fundamental design flaw at this point in the season.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the downforce. The weird part is that they've had this problem since the start of the season and seemingly none of the updates have gotten them closer to fixing it.

They have increased the downforce level but the gap was immense at the start of the season. Ferrari was losing almost 1 second in the last sector in Spain for example.

Oct 26, 2017

It aligns with what the supposed "secret aerodynamicist" at the BBC claimed at the start of the season where Ferrari supposedly have fundamental flaw in the car concept that leaves little room for actual development.

Regarding qualifying, it seems Hamilton's DRS wasn't working for that final lap. Sucky time for it to fail of that's true.

Jul 19, 2018
It aligns with what the supposed "secret aerodynamicist" at the BBC claimed at the start of the season where Ferrari supposedly have fundamental flaw in the car concept that leaves little room for actual development.

Regarding qualifying, it seems Hamilton's DRS wasn't working for that final lap. Sucky time for it to fail of that's true.

Where is the info re the DRS from?

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently it did work at the start of the lap so it didn't matter much. The DRS line until finish distance is very short.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
On the bright side for HAM, he starts on the clean side of the track and if VER continues his fine form off the line...

Edit: HAM @ 6/1 to lead after lap 1. Worth a punt...

Last edited:

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

The car was simply designed as a evolution of the SF 71h but they went too extreme. They weren't able to regain the downforce lost with the simplified front wings + the new tyres requires more load in order to work well.

They improved the car through different setups and small / mid updates but you can't close a 0.7 - 0.8s gap in one season. It's impossible.

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Giovinazzi hit with a 3 place grid penalty. (Because these dumbasses don't have spotters.) Our boy Russell will start 15th!

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Verstappen was great but the circuit is kind to red bull. From the rest they have good chances at Singapore and Brasil but the rest will be tough and Hamilton leads by like 60 points still.
On paper, this track was perfect for this year's Mercedes, who produce incredible levels of medium and low speed downforce. I'm amazed at the progress Red Bull have made tbh.

Given today's result, you'd expect that with the anticipated Honda upgrade they'll be favourites for Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Mexico.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Really, really excited about today's race.

I hope it ends up being the fourth entertaining race on the trot, and lots of craziness happens yet again.

I would love to see Verstappen and Hamilton vying for the first place, especially if the latter has a very good start on the cleaner side of the track. Also looking forward to seeing Leclerc and Vettel duelling too.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I hope it ends up being the fourth entertaining race on the trot, and lots of craziness happens yet again.

I would love to see Verstappen and Hamilton vying for the first place, especially if the latter has a very good start on the cleaner side of the track. Also looking forward to seeing Leclerc and Vettel duelling too.

It's a dry Hungaroring. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

It will be the 4th F1 race I've ever watched. I think I picked a good season to start watching this sport!

I have only one pet peeve so far and that's the TV direction, with its constant close-ups. I want more helicopter shots showing cars making their way through the track, you getter a better sense of their driving styles and status of the race in general. But nope, TV director wants to focus on the crowd instead. :| How are football TV directors, who have to juggle so much, better at this than F1?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I really wouldnt get my hopes up.
Lewis is an absolute beast at this track.
I see him leading by the end of the first lap and then pulling away till the win.
Remember that Ham qualified that high with DRS not working towards the end of the track.

The F1.5 race might be interesting but at the top of the grid.
I fully expect.

1. Ham
2. Bot
3. A ferrari
4. Ver
5. A ferrari
6. F1.5

We'll find out in a few hours.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
I see him leading by the end of the first lap and then pulling away till the win.
Remember that Ham qualified that high with DRS not working towards the end of the track.

I fully expect.

1. Ham
2. Bot
3. A ferrari
4. Ver
5. A ferrari
6. F1.5

The DRS at the end gives you maybe a couple of hundredths. It didn't matter.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

I fully expect.

1. Ham
2. Bot
3. A ferrari
4. Ver
5. A ferrari
6. F1.5

You really got Max 4th?

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

The other race that takes place while the F1 race is going on.

This weekends results.
h26kisdgs8e31.png

j9ox3mr9q8e31.png

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Some interesting tidbits from AMS (german):

- After canada and france fia wanted to give drivers more leniency
- Derek warwick said new guidelines allowed max vs charles in austria to go without penalty
- Michael Masi showed 10 controversial scenes to team bosses and drivers after FP1 in hungary and asked them how to decide (apparently they had to fill out some kind of question form)
- In spa 10 stewards will see the same scenes
- Horner says he voted no further action 90% of the time including Vet/Ham in montreal
- They changed unsafe release to a time penalty instead of a fine
- They changed the bollard rule after hockenheim and decided a driver shouldn't drive another lap with a damaged car so a hamilton like penalty is probably not happening again.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I have only one pet peeve so far and that's the TV direction, with its constant close-ups. I want more helicopter shots showing cars making their way through the track, you getter a better sense of their driving styles and status of the race in general. But nope, TV director wants to focus on the crowd instead. :| How are football TV directors, who have to juggle so much, better at this than F1?

The direction's definitely changed in recent years. There used to be more heli shots and a lot more onboard shots.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some interesting tidbits from AMS (german):

- After canada and france fia wanted to give drivers more leniency
- Derek warwick said new guidelines allowed max vs charles in austria to go without penalty
- Michael Masi showed 10 controversial scenes to team bosses and drivers after FP1 in hungary and asked them how to decide (apparently they had to fill out some kind of question form)
- In spa 10 stewards will see the same scenes
- Horner says he voted no further action 90% of the time including Vet/Ham in montreal
- They changed unsafe release to a time penalty instead of a fine
- They changed the bollard rule after hockenheim and decided a driver shouldn't drive another lap with a damaged car so a hamilton like penalty is probably not happening again.

They have no idea what they're doing basically.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Lol, people on Reddit calling Mackie a prick. He's there to watch the race not market himself 24/7 for crying out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.