• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Ferrari could have been lapped. Another mistake at Seb pit stop with no pressure but everything is fine. Shares are high , Camilerri and Elkann are enjoying the summer with their millions / billions ... IF RB had a competent driver they would be second in the WCC by a big margin but yes everything is fine. Amazing weekend , blessed by the sun , good vibes #summerbreak

Fuck this management for real.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I don't remember but Ocon wasn't this blisteringly fast guy hampered by the Force India was he? He wasn't putting Perez to shame in the same way that we see with Max/Gasly for example. I'd be surprised if Merc dumped Bottas just to replace him with Ocon; I can see a Bottas/Russel swap being more likely, throw Williams some engine deals again to keep them sweet.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Just imagine how awesome these last 4 races could have been if Ricciardo was still at Red Bull instead of this joke of a driver that is Gasly

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Just imagine how awesome these last 4 races could have been if Ricciardo was still at Red Bull instead of this joke of a driver that is Gasly
I have even more respect for him than I already did, knowing he had to have been pretty damn good to stay that close with Max. A driver not being awful is apparently worth almost a second a lap in that car! Gasly has to have some kind of massive blackmail on RBR, is the only possible reason I can think of as to how he's still employed.
Maybe I don't remember but Ocon wasn't this blisteringly fast guy hampered by the Force India was he? He wasn't putting Perez to shame in the same way that we see with Max/Gasly for example.
There's always an unofficial behind-the-scenes driver ranking system in the paddock that runs on its own merits, so I assume that's what's been at work.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what points show at this point in time, Ferrari are actually not the second best constructors.

If Ricciardo was still at RB, they'd be P2 in the WCC for sure.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic stuff from Mercedes and Hamilton, it ended up being an entertaining race after all.

Red Bull and Mercedes do need better #2 drivers (Red Bull way more than Mercedes).

Ferrari seems to have gotten the car design wrong from the start of the season, upgrades haven't helped much, they've had really bad strategy calls and yet they are still #2 in the constructors thanks to Leclerc and Vettel both being good.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
On another note. Kimi is really getting that Alfa places. Looking forward to seeing him next year as well honestly.

edit:

Oof, Gasly probably spending his holiday securing an FE seat.

Last edited:

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
MIck needs another full year in F2 before he jumps to F1 and imagine he'll be a test driver before he gets a full seat.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
On another note. Kimi is really getting that Alfa places. Looking forward to seeing him next year as well honestly.

edit:

Oof, Gasly probably spending his holiday securing an FE seat.

The argument against that is Honda of course. My argument would be: Alonso driving with an Honda and praising Honda would be the absolute best PR they could ever hope for. "See, even our biggest critic is a fan now".

But Horner pretty clearly stated that he doesn't want Alonso because of the chaos he leaves at every team: https://f1i.com/news/313670-horner-explains-alonso-will-never-race-red-bull.html

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

I'm always amazed he doesn't drop the trophy everytime he throws it into the air.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Ferrari seems to have gotten the car design wrong from the start of the season, upgrades haven't helped much, they've had really bad strategy calls and yet they are still #2 in the constructors thanks to Leclerc and Vettel both being good.

Yeah, the design philosophy of their car gave them initial pace and good handling but left them vulnerable and more limited in the development race, which is why Mercedes and Red Bull are starting to stretch out more and more.

Oct 26, 2017
I thought Merc had thrown away their chance when they pitted Hamilton, but it ended up being easier than expected. It's easy to criticise RB for keeping Max out but track position is a big deal in Hungary.
Also, another stellar performance from Sainz, RB must be kicking themselves for letting him slip away as they sure could do with him in that second car right now.

Oct 26, 2017
Distracted girlfriend, courtesy of Daniil Kvyat.

EBE6-4TWsAIYGyy.jpg

EBE-T7aUcAAZaTs.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What options do I have in the uk to catchup? Does All4 show races after broadcast? Not showing yet. I recorded it but i'm On holiday at the moment (still in the uk) and my TiVo app wont stream outside of the home either

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Gasly finishing a lap down to his teammate? No wonder Honda seem to like him, less mileage / strain on the engine. Why else is he still with the team?

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Apart from Max the only Red Bull academy driver that's any good is Sainz who left when he realised STR was a dead end for him and because he didn't get along with Max he was never going to get promoted to the main team. Now if they ditch Gasly they've only got Kvyat who has already been a bust once and Albon who is still too raw and probably needs at least another full season before promotion otherwise he might suffer the same fate as Gasly in the main team. They also cannot really hire outside of their academy otherwise the whole exercise is pointless.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So what are the chances of Renault being better next year? Because this season is really frustrating, especially considering how well McLaren are doing with exactly the same engines.

BTW I know it's probably just sour grapes, but was there anything in that block by KMAG on Danny? That really sudden jolt he did looked kinda dangerous, but I guess because it was a single move there was nothing illegal about it.

I thought Merc had thrown away their chance when they pitted Hamilton, but it ended up being easier than expected. It's easy to criticise RB for keeping Max out but track position is a big deal in Hungary.
Also, another stellar performance from Sainz, RB must be kicking themselves for letting him slip away as they sure could do with him in that second car right now.
It kept me watching for the last few laps, thrilling stuff. I do kind of wonder why maybe Merc didn't pit Lewis at the same time as Max just to put on softs as well, but they probably didn't want to risk anything.
Such a weird act just for a single point though.

Last edited:

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Stats n facts time:
  • VER: Took his first ever pole, the first ever Dutchman to do so. Also is the 100th driver to claim a pole position.
  • RUS: Qualified in 16th (started 15th / GIO penalty), a career best. And best qualifying result of the season for a Williams.
  • STR: First time since the German GP he failed to make it out of Q1...
  • HAM: Won the Hungarian GP for a 7th time. Matching Ferrari's number of wins at the circuit!
  • HAM: Now only 10 wins behind Schumacher's record.
  • HAM: Has now led at the Hungarian GP for 10th time (at least 1 lap, individual seasons).
  • HAM, VER & VET: First time this season that they share the podium.
  • RAI: Continues his record of always finishing in the top 7 in Hungary.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
RIC failed to make it out of Q1 3 times in 2018. However, I fail to remember if those were all mechanical related issues.

The 3 being in Germany, Italy and Russia.

Edit: I may be wrong on those 3 as even tho RIC had car failures during Q1 he was able to set a quick enough time to make Q2, if you see what I mean...

Edit 2: I believe the last non mechanical Q1 exit for RIC was at the 2017 British GP, this was mostly down to bad timing and choice of tyres during a mixed weather session.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I do wonder what decisions led up to him being screwed out of making P2. Have to think that if he started just outside the top 10 on hards what sort of a run he could've made.

At least he managed to hold up Bottas for a bit lol

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Bottas fate is sealed right now...

I think so. He started the season really strong and has just gotten worse and now back to his 2018 form.

After the first few races, I was really hoping he would give Hamilton a run.

Nope. This is what separates the top tier drivers - consistency, lap after lap.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how Max has matured over the course of a year, let alone the past three seasons. He's definitely gearing up to be the face of F1. Just a year ago he was ready to throw fists with Ocon, now he's hugging Lewis right after losing a race.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crazy how Max has matured over the course of a year, let alone the past three seasons. He's definitely gearing up to be the face of F1. Just a year ago he was ready to throw fists with Ocon, now he's hugging Lewis right after losing a race.

Max is the guy Merc would Trade Hamilton for.

I think the ofher factor is unlike Ricciardio,
His teammate is not pushing him. He knows he is faster and Gasly is not in his league.

You could see him do better in the 2nd half of last year once Daniel announced Renault deal.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Max is finally starting to deliver. The raw talent has always been there, now he is settled and more mature behind the wheel. Max is still far from the finished article (worryingly for everyone else).

Too many damn kids come in to F1 when they are far from ready, I hate how F1 has become a "finishing school" for young talent. I don't want to watch drivers learning their craft in F1, lower categories/formula exist for a reason.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Max is finally starting to deliver. The raw talent has always been there, now he is settled and more mature behind the wheel. Max is still far from the finished article (worryingly for everyone else).

Too many damn kids come in to F1 when they are far from ready, I hate how F1 has become a "finishing school" for young talent. I don't want to watch drivers learning their craft in F1, lower categories/formula exist for a reason.

Max learning his craft has still been better than loads of drivers who came and went. You'd rather see Vergne or Ericsson ?

Status
Not open for further replies.