• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
I still think Bottas has a chance of retaining his seat at Mercedes, but only if his results improve. He has to finish, at a minimum, 1 position behind Hamilton, if Lewis wins the race, Valtteri needs to be taking as many points away from Max and the Ferrari pair.

Hamilton has a healthy points lead for now, he has driven well and Mercedes until recently have been unchallenged. Verstappen will win more races this season, yet I still doubt he can overturn the deficit to Lewis. Next season I can see RedBull being genuine contenders for the championships and this is when Mercedes and Hamilton will need a stronger "wingman."

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I still think Bottas has a chance of retaining his seat at Mercedes, but only if his results improve. He has to finish, at a minimum, 1 position behind Hamilton, if Lewis wins the race, Valtteri needs to be taking as many points away from Max and the Ferrari pair.

Wolff's repeatedly said that he's going to make the decision over the summer break. At this point there's nothing further Bottas can do to improve or weaken his chances of staying with the team.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Hamilton has a healthy points lead for now, he has driven well and Mercedes until recently have been unchallenged. Verstappen will win more races this season, yet I still doubt he can overturn the deficit to Lewis. Next season I can see RedBull being genuine contenders for the championships and this is when Mercedes and Hamilton will need a stronger "wingman."

I don't think bottas can do anything. It'll Be down to what Mercedes want to do with ocon and whether they think the time is right now Or if they're happy to wait another year. He's their future driver (Bottas will be too old) so it's a case of getting ocon in the car ahead of the new regs andget some experience under his belt.

Bottas probably knew he had a limited shelf life which may be why he came out strong at the start of the year - hoping there was a chance at a Rosberg year while he still has a strong car under him

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Max,Lewis and Seb are the 3 best drivers on the grid and it isn't even close.

Naming someone like Sainz as a Top 3 driver must be a troll.

Read again. I said this season. Vettel has not performed close to his usual standards. Sainz, on the other hand, is probably having his best season to date and is far and away the best F1.5 driver.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

Great content imo. James Vowles answering questions and giving a ton of insight in the decision making durning the race.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5432rtk1l.gif

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Wolff's repeatedly said that he's going to make the decision over the summer break. At this point there's nothing further Bottas can do to improve or weaken his chances of staying with the team.

Well in that case, Bottas is done for. He has been okay this season, okay just doesn't cut it.
I don't think bottas can do anything. It'll Be down to what Mercedes want to do with ocon and whether they think the time is right now Or if they're happy to wait another year. He's their future driver (Bottas will be too old) so it's a case of getting ocon in the car ahead of the new regs andget some experience under his belt.

Would make sense to get Ocon in the car sooner rather than later, to asses if he can lead the team once Hamilton moves on / retires. Mercedes also have George Russell in their hands to consider for the future. Russell is doing a good job in his rookie season with Williams.
Leclerc isn't done in the oven yet, dude needs some more seasoning.

Charles could have done with another year at Sauber / Alfa. He really impressed me last year, this season? Not so much, yet another driver promoted to a top team too soon, and it shows. That said, I believe he has the potential to become WDC someday.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Charles could have done with another year at Sauber / Alfa. He really impressed me last year, this season? Not so much, yet another driver promoted to a top team too soon, and it shows. That said, I believe he has the potential to become WDC someday.

Nearly winning two races and faring much better than Raikonnen against his 4 time world champion teammate are already good enough achievements.
Would he have been better for his first year at Ferrari if promoted in 2020? Most likely.
But he might be better in 2020 because of his early promotion and experience with the team, it's still only his second year in F1 after all

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Leclerc has a lot of good potential and when he's on it he's leading the majority of the race till Ferrari botches it in some way. He's like a cake that hasn't finished cooking yet, Vettel is an overcooked cake and he's currently putting butter on his form to soften it up or something.
Nearly winning two races and faring much better than Raikonnen against his 4 time world champion teammate are already good enough achievements.
Would he have been better for his first year at Ferrari if promoted in 2020? Most likely.
But he might be better in 2020 because of his early promotion and experience with the team, it's still only his second year in F1 after all
Leclerc is having a good second year, but at the same time he's not ready to carry that team yet.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017

Charles has had some great performances in his rookie season and at times this season. He would have won in Bahrain if the car didn't fail him, and he would have fully deserved that win. I have no doubt he will be winning races if Ferrari give him the tools to do so. Only reason why I say I'm not as impressed, is that there is much higher expectations of him, and he has made costly mistakes, most notably in Baku qualifying where he probably should have taken pole, and then go on to win the race. Oh and that Monaco GP weekend was a comedy of errors.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Charles has had some great performances in his rookie season and at times this season. He would have won in Bahrain if the car didn't fail him, and he would have fully deserved that win. I have no doubt he will be winning races if Ferrari give him the tools to do so. Only reason why I say I'm not as impressed, is that there is much higher expectations of him, and he has made costly mistakes, most notably in Baku qualifying where he probably should have taken pole, and then go on to win the race. Oh and that Monaco GP weekend was a comedy of errors.

Charles and Valteri started the season strong but now are looking average. Charles is obviously a better driver and will be competing for championships
But he has disapointed me of late.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well in that case, Bottas is done for. He has been okay this season, okay just doesn't cut it.

Would make sense to get Ocon in the car sooner rather than later, to asses if he can lead the team once Hamilton moves on / retires. Mercedes also have George Russell in their hands to consider for the future. Russell is doing a good job in his rookie season with Williams.

males sense. Cheapest route forward for merc is if they can incubate one or more potential world champions from ocon/Russell. If not, then they'll need to buy in talent and have a strong 2nd driver

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the chances of Renault being better next year? Because this season is really frustrating, especially considering how well McLaren are doing with exactly the same engines.

There's more chance of Renault pulling out of F1 than them escaping midfield, all their best engineers jumped off the sinking Lotus ship and haven't been replaced. Your boy was conned by Cyril the conman, his days as a front running driver in F1 are over unless he runs back to Red Bull as Ferrari and Mercedes have clearly shown they don't want him.

The car is a pile of shit, engine is clearly the worst on the grid, thirsty and unreliable. You've just got to love it with all the verbal diarrhea Cyril the conman was spewing after Red Bull announced the switch to Honda - and this season with the French GP update that would fix all their issues 😂

Oct 28, 2017
Dude was literally on his way to a dominant victory in his second race until lolFerrari

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Does Ferrari create as much online content as Mercedes does? I love the constant stream of videos Team Mercedes pushes out.

They only did the bare minimum for the F1 YouTube channel when Arrivabene was in charge but they seem to be doing this year but its all fluff pieces. Mercedes are the only team who go into the technical details and do review the race with Pure Pitwall, which is easy to do when you're always winning.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I am glad no one in my group of friends watches F1 as I was out of town for EVO last weekend.
I managed to catch the Hungary race last night without anything being spoiled. It was a really fun race.
I was rooting for Max, but Mercedes just killed it with that strategy and it was really only viable because of how much of a beast Lewis is behind the wheel.

That moment before the pit stop when he was gunning for Max and almost overtook him was great.
Those two drivers really are just on another level when compared to the rest of the crowd.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's the 30th anniversary of the French gameshow Fort Boyard this year; as an avowed gameshow fan, I've been pondering making a thread for it in the line of the old Genius thread; particularly 'cause the French version is so much better than the versions seen in the UK and US. It's a game where a team of French celebrities plays physical, mental and fear-conquering challenges to win money for a chosen charity.

I'm posting that here, because tonight's episode has Romain Grosjean captaining the team playing the game, so if you're interested in seeing an F1 person out of their comfort zone, it's worth catching. 7PM UTC if you watch it live.

If you've got a friendly VPN, https://www.france.tv/france-2/direct.html will have it; if not, full episodes are uploaded to their Youtube site the following day and don't appear to have any geoblocks; here's last week's episode:

Note that it's a long programme - over two hours. Behind the spoiler, a lengthy rundown of the format to give you some context (and possibly to act as a framework if I do make a full thread!)

A team goes through a number of games in various phases to try to steal some of Pere Fouras's treasure from the Treasure Room of the fort.

There's a large number of characters, although not all appear in each episode:

BfpIqeH.png

Olivier Minne: The show's host, accompanies the team, talks through game rules.

65NBo8u.png

Pere Fouras: Isn't exactly played as a villain, more as a mischevious game master-y type. Rarely meets the players directly, but will often communicate with them for riddle challenges.

6G3k7KW.png

Passe-Partout: Accompanies the team, keeps score.
Passe-Muraille: Acts as go-between between Pere Fouras and the team, passing on instructions about the next game. Likes dressing up.

jJrUGrE.png

Felindra: Trains the tigers that guard the treasure room.

VFscS4U.png

The Family Boo: Mister Boo and Lady Boo participate in games where the team needs a specific opposition. Mister Boo also acts as jailer

ufvJDJY.png

Patrice Laffont: The original host of the show, brought back for the thirtieth anniversary for a 'time machine' game featuring classic tests from the show's past.

iDvgyju.png

Magik: The fort's genie, hosts a game based around fakir trials.

EuZTsKd.png

MegaGaf (No, not that Gaf!): Played by Vincent LaGaf (you see?); a superhero convinced that Pere Fouras is a supervillain, constantly trying to assault the fort.

mdvpzmQ.png

Rouge: Sister to Blanche, she trains combatants to test the teams
The Children of the Fort: Rouge's champions, children skilled in martial arts and gymnastics.

yyF5ad4.png

Blanche: Sister to Rouge, she sits in judgement

I9VLurG.png

Chef Willy Rovelli: The Fort's chef. Not a particularly good cook.

wDwRp22.png

The Masters of Time: Pere Fouras's head lieutenants, who play small-scale duels with the contestants.

There's a lot of phases:

1: Quest for Keys
The team has 50 minutes to collect nine keys from various games around the fort. This is rarely achieved, but the more they get, the better later on. The games are short timed challenges, explained immediately beforehand, you can generally deduce what's going on. Any player who runs out of time in a challenge room will be imprisoned; Mister Boo will take them to the Fort's cell. Some challenges are played by teams of two. Outdoor challenges are often accompanied by a cluebox; rather than having to retrieve a physical key they're trying to get to a point where they can read a four-digit code, allowing the team to open the box and retrieve the key. At least one challenge is generally a riddle where Pere Fouras tasks the contestants with answering while dealing with... distractions. At some point in proceedings Rouge will issue a challenge to the players, at which point time stops briefly while they proceed to the Cage.

1b: The Cage
An opportunity to win up to three keys in one-on-one challenges against Rouge's champions. These challenges tend to be physical or gymnastic in nature.

2: Judgement
After the fifty minutes are up, the team proceeds to the entrance to the Chamber of Judgement. They have to pick one player to sacrifice to Blanche for each key they're short of the nine required. Each player goes into the chamber and is invited to pick either a chance or skill game to free themselves; skill games give you three distinct chances to complete a ball-based task, chance games invite you to pick a 50/50 outcome from a random event. Failing results in those players being taken to the cells; success returns them to the group. Also at this point any player imprisoned in the first part is also brought before Blanche for judgement, and the same criteria takes place; winning a task releases the player, failing sends them back to the cell.
This season this phase concludes with a final test; a member is invited to sacrifice themselves to... something, they don't quite know what, but "fortune favours the brave"...

Interlude: Chamber of Adventures / Willymix
Now the game gets a bit more serious, we move on to the Adventures. The team is shown the schedule of adventures for this week, and has a brief discussion about which they'd like to avoid... generally all of them, because the Adventures are largely fear-based challenges. They have an opportunity to win a joker to allow one player to pass on an adventure to be replaced by another if the person sacrificed earlier beats Willymix, where the game gets a wee bit Nickelodeon as Chef Willy places the contestant in his automated cooking device (i.e. elaborate gunge tank) and gives them an eight-question quiz on the history of the show. Four correct answers wins the joker, incorrect answers mean... well, you know.

3: Quest for Clues
The team have keys to the treasure room, but they need the password to release the treasure, and so they're invited to play fear-based challenges to get capsules containing clue words. Six such challenges, usually with at least one height-based challenge and at least one trip to Chez Willy, where Chef Willy invites the team - together - to enjoy one of his fine meals. If the team won a joker earlier they can choose to replace the contestant lined up for the current challenge, but can't choose who to replace them with...
In the rare event that the team managed to secure all nine keys in the time limit in the Quest for Keys, they get one extra Adventure here for a chance of a bonus clue word.

4. Quest for Time
Now the players have a number of clue words, and so the final thing they're playing for is the amount of time the treasure room gate remains open. They start with 3:00, but this can change!

4a: The Great Escape
If any player is still imprisoned at this point, they have 2:30 to escape the cell; there's a small escape room portion in the cell itself, then a course to complete, ending up in a trapdoor directly under the team's feet. When the escapee pulls the lever next to the team, the time stopped. Any time they took beyond 2:30 is deducted from their treasure room time.

4b: The Council
Pere Fouras calls the Masters of Time to host the council; the one time he directly meets the players. He calls four players from the team in one-at-a-time to play duels against the Masters, generally very simple games (often with an elaborate staging - a shaky-hand game across the body of a giant dragon which spits sparks if you hit the side, for instance!). Each duel won awards +15 seconds to the team

5: The Treasure Room
The final segment. The team insert their nine keys, and get ready with the clue containers. When Olivier starts the clock, the treasure room gate opens, and they can start opening the clues. If they feel they need more clues, they can sacrifice a player to get an extra one. When they have it, they spell out the word on the floor of the Treasure Room, and if they're correct, the coins are released! In whatever time they have remaining they gather what coins they can and carry them out to the bucket; after the time is up the contents are placed on a scale and weighed, and that's the prize money going to their charity.

Sometimes: Toujours plus Fort!
This season - for the anniversary - they're quite frequently having a lengthy post-game chat with the contestants, interspersed with a few extra challenges for bonus money and segments on the history of the show. It's not on every week.

Phew. That should be enough grounding to understand the basics. It's a fun watch, but it's not in any way succinct!

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Started F1 2019 today and it's probably the most challenging racing game I've played. Which basically means I suck at it! Mostly just need to learn the braking points for the tracks, the corner assist isn't precise and obtrusive too, half the time I turn it off. I'm also getting annoyed at the other drivers ramming into me. It's like they modelled the AI on Magnussen or something.

And I'm up to episode 6 of Drive to Survive and have learned all about Stroll buying a team and plopping his son in it. There's no sport quite like F1 is there? Kind of surprised there aren't more movies in that setting.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Scripting sports on film usually sucks because you lose the essence of it in choreography and writing.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah there's tons of genres you could do in that setting. Corporate espionage thriller. Biopic. Creed-type rags to riches tale. Comedy, etc. Rush was pretty good, and there's that Ford v Ferrari coming out this year, but I'd really like a story set in modern day F1.

Actually I just reminded myself there's a Hitman 2 level at a F1 circuit. Need to get round to playing that at some point this year.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Started F1 2019 today and it's probably the most challenging racing game I've played. Which basically means I suck at it! Mostly just need to learn the braking points for the tracks, the corner assist isn't precise and obtrusive too, half the time I turn it off. I'm also getting annoyed at the other drivers ramming into me. It's like they modelled the AI on Magnussen or something.

And I'm up to episode 6 of Drive to Survive and have learned all about Stroll buying a team and plopping his son in it. There's no sport quite like F1 is there? Kind of surprised there aren't more movies in that setting.
With the difficulty slider and all the assists you can make it as hard as you like, I presume you haven't played any other recent f1 games? You should absolutely turn corner assist off, like you said its very obtrusive and with just a few minutes of practise you should be way better without it.

The AI ramming you is very odd, only thing I can think of is you must be braking way too early for corners. Do you have braking assist on? If so then definitely turn that off as well, its the same story as corner assist, you're way better off in terms of speed and general enjoyment if you spend a bit of time learning to go without it. Those two assists are basically training wheels for people new to racing games, and should be moved on from as soon as possible.

You should try learning braking points with and without the racing line and see which is better for you. For me the racing line is too basic and I learn by using the distance boards. If I feel I'm getting a corner wrong I'll watch a video of the real life pole lap for the track and try to copy what they do.

As you get better you can increase the difficulty slider so it stays balanced for you, that's what I've been doing and it works great. I've settled on 101 for my career now.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
With the difficulty slider and all the assists you can make it as hard as you like, I presume you haven't played any other recent f1 games? You should absolutely turn corner assist off, like you said its very obtrusive and with just a few minutes of practise you should be way better without it.

The AI ramming you is very odd, only thing I can think of is you must be braking way too early for corners. Do you have braking assist on? If so then definitely turn that off as well, its the same story as corner assist, you're way better off in terms of speed and general enjoyment if you spend a bit of time learning to go without it.

You should try learning braking points with and without the racing line and see which is better for you. For me the racing line is too basic and I try to learn by using the distance boards. If I feel I'm getting a corner wrong I'll watch a video of the real life pole lap for the track and try to copy what they do.

As you get better you can increase the difficulty slider so it stays balanced for you, that's what I've been doing and it works great. I've settled on 101 for my career now.

Yeah I think I'm going to just turn corner assist off entirely, it's ironically counter-intuitive to learning a track. I learned GT Sport tracks without such a thing. I've just got TC and ABS on for now. And you're right, I think the AI is ramming me because of my weird braking habits as I slowly learn the tracks.

I wonder if Codemasters ever do stealth updates to AI drivers to reflect their real life versions. For example with Gasly going through poor form, it'd be funny if Codemasters update AI Gasly's stats and lower them a little. Meanwhile they buff Verstappen a bit...

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think I'm going to just turn corner assist off entirely, it's ironically counter-intuitive to learning a track. I learned GT Sport tracks without such a thing. I've just got TC and ABS on for now. And you're right, I think the AI is ramming me because of my weird braking habits as I slowly learn the tracks.

I wonder if Codemasters ever do stealth updates to AI drivers to reflect their real life versions. For example with Gasly going through poor form, it'd be funny if Codemasters update AI Gasly's stats and lower them a little. Meanwhile they buff Verstappen a bit...
The AI are supposed to roughly reflect their real life counter-parts, but I don't think they update them that often. In fact I think they're mostly the same from f1 2018. Some of them are a bit weird, Perez for example is really fast at the moment for some reason. Max is definitely better than Gasly in the game, but the gap isn't close to what it is in real life. Bottas is also way too close to Hamilton in the game, he's actually currently leading the driver's championship in my career after Spa, which is hilarious.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

Off topic but I'm racing at Snetterton this weekend. Cannot wait.

Speaking of Snetterton, I found out this week that "the" tree is dead!? This sucks but apparently the owner wants to make a statues with old car parts to replace it or something

Also, I'm finally watching the Netflix F1 documentary... Really good stuff... Two things...

1-lmao at the running gag of shots of people laughing at Grosjean crashing

2-This shot of Vijay Maleya's living room is just perfect... The setup, the blind bling, the shoes, the coffee table... Perfect

Hof9VBs.jpg

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
The AI are supposed to roughly reflect their real life counter-parts, but I don't think they update them that often. In fact I think they're mostly the same from f1 2018. Some of them are a bit weird, Perez for example is really fast at the moment for some reason. Max is definitely better than Gasly in the game, but the gap isn't close to what it is in real life. Bottas is also way too close to Hamilton in the game, he's actually currently leading the driver's championship in my career after Spa, which is hilarious.

Based on this review, it sort of sounds like the AI was updated quite a bit from 2018:

That never quite came through in the Codemasters F1 series, at least until this year. One of the biggest changes in F1 2019, and something I'm still struggling to adjust to, is how much more assertive its AI drivers are—and how that AI has exposed weaknesses in my own skillset. For years I've been able to abuse certain traits and behaviors to make my job just a little easier on the track, and to feel a little more like a Lewis Hamilton-level talent rather than the garbage-tier "gentleman racer" I'd almost certainly be if anyone ever let me near an actual race car.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Ok, turning off corner assist and just using 30 minutes practice around Bahrain and I'm finally getting the hang of the game. As I only started watching F1 since Austria, the game is a handy way to learn about all the circuits. Melbourne seems like a standard circuit, not bad not great. Bahrain which I just finished, seems pretty boring though. It looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, barely any atmosphere, the circuit is short with awkward corners, I can't imagine entertaining races with this one.

F1 fans: what are your favourite circuits? Do they change often? I saw headlines about Mexico and people being relieved it won't be removed from next season, so it seems like circuits do tend to change now and then?

Jul 19, 2018
Australia tends to be dull as it's hard to overtake. Bahrain was quite good this year, decent racing between the top 4 but it was brutal that Leclerc's engine died. China is soulless but the massive straight means there's always loads of overtaking. Ditto Azerbaijan really.

Barcelona and Monaco are really shit tracks, it's hugely impressive how fast they can get round Monaco though. Canada is decent, France is terrible, this year's GP was one of the worst I've ever seen. Austria is quite good, not much to it though. Silverstone and Hockenheim are both really good, in terms of racing, history and atmosphere. Hungary is normally boring, Spa is outstanding, Monza is excellent, Singapore and Russia are crap, Suzuka is brilliant. I don't really like Mexico (the track is fun to drive in the game though!), the US is good, especially the first sector, Interlagos is iconic but dull, Abu Dhabi is crap.

Jul 19, 2018
Sky F1 showing the 1993 German GP now, I'd forgotten that there was no pit lane speed limit at that time, watching them driving full pelt past the garages is terrifying :D

Status
Not open for further replies.