• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
No one chews through drivers like RB. Gasky will be gone completely at the end of the season.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Silly season off to a good start. Very interesting that they put Albon in there. I really love his attitude though. Looking forward to what he'll bring.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gasly replaced by Albon at Red Bull Racing. Gasly goes back to STR.

Not surprising, sucks for Gasly but this is the top tier of motor racing and if your team mate is winning races and lapping you, you're asking to be dropped. He had half a season to sort himself out.

Good luck to Albon, here's hoping he can perform better.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Kvyat is never going back, he's just keeping the seat warm for the next guy in the RB program who doesn't have a super license yet.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
ouch! I just read yesterday that RB wanted more out of Gasly but that they would keep himfor the remainder of the season

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
ouch! I just read yesterday that RB wanted more out of Gasly but that they would keep himfor the remainder of the season

I think Budapest changed that chance completely. Like if Gasly would have been within 20 seconds of Lewis in third, which realistically should have been possible. RB would've won the race. But since he couldn't even overtake a McLaren.. well.

But the turnaround for Albon. End of 2018 all signs pointed to an FE seat and now he's going to drive a race winning F1 car.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Oof, what happened to sticking with Gasly for the rest of the season? Great opportunity for Alex though, all he has to do for half a season is not be as bad as Gasly was and he can settle down into a top team. Sucks for Kvyat as well, but he had his chance already I suppose.

Ok, turning off corner assist and just using 30 minutes practice around Bahrain and I'm finally getting the hang of the game. As I only started watching F1 since Austria, the game is a handy way to learn about all the circuits. Melbourne seems like a standard circuit, not bad not great. Bahrain which I just finished, seems pretty boring though. It looks like it's in the middle of nowhere, barely any atmosphere, the circuit is short with awkward corners, I can't imagine entertaining races with this one.

F1 fans: what are your favourite circuits? Do they change often? I saw headlines about Mexico and people being relieved it won't be removed from next season, so it seems like circuits do tend to change now and then?
Melbourne is okay for racing but doesn't produce a fun race to watch normally. Bahrain isn't that fun to race on but due to the long straights is normally at least an okay race to watch. My favourite tracks to race in the game are probably Suzuka, USA, Silverstone, Monza, Hungary. Its only really Monaco and Baku I don't enjoy racing in the game, the rest are okay at least. Suzuka and USA are the standouts for sure though, so damn fun. Silverstone used to be a standout as well but the new sector 1 isn't that great.

The best tracks to watch are normally just the ones where there's plenty of chances to overtake. Mexico is one of those and its also a track red bull do well at, so people like it. The calendar changes fairly often, next year we're going to Holland and Vietnam but not Germany.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kvyat already had a chance with Red Bull and used it to play Burnout 3 IRL. He's only around because their current young driver pool is pretty disappointing, and an experienced driver beats a bad rookie. Good for Albon, deserves a shot.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Wow. Wow.

Well deserved, Gasly has been a disaster and Albon is a real talent, but totally savage.

Even though I've been calling for it, and even though RBR have a reputation, I didn't expect them to actually pull the trigger.

Massive, massive opportunity for Alex. All we need now is Ocon and/or Russell in competitive seats.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Woah. Wishing Albon all the best, he seems like a good dude, and looking forward to the Netflix episode about this lol...

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
It's good that they are trying something. Gasly has been horrendous and even if Albon doesn't cut it / gets destroyed by Max, they are better off trying something for the second half of the season because I don't see Gasly getting better any time soon.

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Does it say anything about Albon being in for the rest of the season? Wonder if they will throw Kvyat in there for half the races or something.

I loved this line from their press release:

Red Bull are in the unique position of having four talented Formula One drivers under contract who can be rotated between the Team and Toro Rosso.

As if that's a thing they regularly do and we should all think it's totally normal 😂

Cammington

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope Red Bull don't destroy Albon next.

Amazing to think he was going to race in Formula E a few months before the start of the season.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a mistake to promote Albon this early. I understand they didn't have a lot of choice when they did it with Gasly, but these guys need some time to adjust. When they brought up Max, it was pretty clear he was ready in terms of pure pace and he was at STR for a season and a half. Hope Alex does well, though.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't think Albon will be as slow as Gasly but matching Max pace will be difficult, he's too good at the moment.
It's all Albon needs to do. He needs to be a reliable number two driver at the moment and just pick up top 6 points, and maybe get in the way of the Ferraris and Bottas every now and then. Gasly was performing as if he was still driving a Toro Rosso around the track, instead of a Red Bull.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a mistake to promote Albon this early. I understand they didn't have a lot of choice when they did it with Gasly, but these guys need some time to adjust. When they brought up Max, it was pretty clear he was ready in terms of pure pace and he was at STR for a season and a half. Hope Alex does well, though.
Yeah everyone was just as positive about Gasly at the end of last season as they are about Albon now. Doesn't take much for it to all go wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Recently saw the last two races of the W-series and holy shit! it was so much fun! I hope it takes off to at least the same level as Formula E.

If you didn't see it, make sure to watch the non-championship reverse grid race from Assen. I think it's on Youtube, and it was easily the most entertaining race of the season.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Albon may not be ready but its not like red bull have much to lose anyway. They're third in constructors and had no chance at second with Gasly sticking around. They're obviously not going to land lower than third so why not give Albon a go and if he does well they could challenge Ferrari for second.

The only possible downside is the case Albon's not ready at all and it harms his career. But I'd argue if he can't at least do better than Gasly was doing then he never had the potential to be fighting at the very top anyway. And like I said I don't think there's much pressure on Albon, if he doesn't do that well then RB aren't losing anything anyway.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Albon may not be ready but its not like red bull have much to lose anyway. They're third in constructors and had no chance at second with Gasly sticking around. They're obviously not going to land lower than third so why not give Albon a go and if he does well they could challenge Ferrari for second.

The only possible downside is the case Albon's not ready at all and it harms his career. But I'd argue if he can't at least do better than Gasly was doing then he never had the potential to be fighting at the very top anyway. And like I said I don't think there's much pressure on Albon, if he doesn't do that well then RB aren't losing anything anyway.
Yeah I think there is little be lost here. If Albon does well, they might get second in the constructors and have someone for the seat in 2020. If Albon does not perform better than Gasly then nothing was lost and the retain third, whilst also having gained the knowledge to not put Albon in the seat in 2020 (just yet). Which either makes room at RB for Kvyat in 2020 or an outside driver.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Wow. We all expected Gasly to be demoted but Red Bull still finds a way to make this absolutely savage.

Poor Kvyat.

This is so sink and swim for Albon. I love the lad but it does seem early. This can ruin his career if he's not careful. I hope he goes well though, in which case this is an excellent fast track to an upper tier team.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Place your bets: Who finishes the season with more points, Albon or Gasly?

After 12 races:
Gasly currently has 63pts
Albon currently has 16pts

There are 9 races left.

My money is on Albon.

To be more exact, I think Albon will finish with ~90pts and Gasly will finish with ~70

Mar 11, 2019
I very much agree with going for Albon over Kvyat and Gasly (of the available young drivers, non-available drivers that I would risk giving a chance would be Sainz and Russel). Imo for a rookie Albon is doing great with room for improvement and very much on par with Kvyat. The difference between Gasly and Verstappen was embarrassing that would further hurt the confidence of Gasly and career. Now with this swap we will see who is to be blamed for: Will Albon be closer to Verstappen? Will Gasly be on par with Kvyat?

Lastly Albon personality compared to Kvyat is also a good match to be (for now) a second driver within a team, for example in the GB GP Gasly was unnecessarily fighting with Verstappen after the safety car while verstappen was throughout the race at least half a second faster each lap (he should have known the larger picture at stake). Albon showed respect for Hamilton knowing it was better to not overly fight with him since Hamilton should be the much faster car, although in hindsight in the German GP it was the wrong decision which he probably learned from.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Dammmmnnnnn hopefully Albon does better but that's a savage move doing it after swearing they wouldn't. Something needed to happen though

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
RBR did Gasly dirty on this one if they were out there saying his seat was safe for the remainder of the season. I wonder if something happened behind the scenes that would have triggered this.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Max won his first race for RB when he was promoted, helped by the Mercedes taking each other out. It would be amazing if Albon did the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.