• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Picollo

Oct 28, 2017
Does it matter that they had more fuel?

What advantage do they gain by not saying they have that amount of fuel.

Seems like an admin error more than anything?

Kubuh

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
They were still within the legal amount of fuel used though. So the "only" illegal thing was that the reported number of fuel they sent in was wrong, seems possible that it was either an admin error or a last minute adjustment. Either way it's such a Ferrari thing to fuck up.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They were still within the legal amount of fuel used though. So the "only" illegal thing was that the reported number of fuel they sent in was wrong, seems possible that it was either an admin error or a last minute adjustment. Either way it's such a Ferrari thing to fuck up.
Yup looks like a stupid error.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
End of a boring season saved by Max and Leclerc.

EKuS6PhUYAAA_4E

Best moment of the year for me.

Qronicle

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
I assume the total fuel weight was still within the legal limits, but they just handed the wrong number to the FIA? In that case I don't see much wrong with the decision. If not, yikes...

Edit: I somehow didn't refresh the thread and missed all new responses, seems I guessed correctly.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I assume the total fuel weight was still within the legal limits, but they just handed the wrong number to the FIA? In that case I don't see much wrong with the decision. If not, yikes...
Yes. The amount of fuel was still in the correct range but they made a mistake in the report. I don't know how though... 5kg is a lot.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People want Ferrari to get banned from everything. It's alright, anybody can dream :P

Stupid error anyhow, and it's in line with many this season. They finally did well in terms of car development during the season but they threw too many chances away even with avoidable problems: reliability, drivers, strategies, pit stops, everything went wrong too often. They have to work on this surely.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Random stats n facts time.
  • RUS: Made it 21-0 in qualifying against his teammate.
  • HAM: Achieved a career 6th Grand Chelem. (pole position, fastest lap, win and lead from start to finish).
  • HAM: Matches Senna's record of 19 lights to flag race wins.
  • HAM: Led 19 different GP this season, a new record.
  • HAM: Scored 413 points in a single season, a new record.
  • HAM: Started his 250th GP.
  • HAM: Led for 511 laps this season, more than double the amount of anyone else.
  • UAE: Becomes the first country to host a GP in the month of December since 1963.
  • Fastest Lap Point: Made zero difference in the championship standings. Pointless!

Hooker

Oct 28, 2017
If you want no overtaking at all at some tracks, sure.
A train of a Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull behind a Renault is not good evidence to drop DRS. It only improved this race because it was unplanned for.
Yes, I want to see overtakes that take actual skill besides pressing the god-mode button. If you're driving in a car with a surplus of power, grip, handling etc. and you're not able to overtake a Renault on old tyres, perhaps you shouldn't be driving that Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull. I don't think Max, Charles or Lewis would have had a much trouble as they had.

Furthermore, how awesome would it be if Hulkenberg (or any other F1.5 driver) would actually be able to keep a MB/F/RB car behind him. It would certainly level the playing field, mitigating the power difference.

While we're at it, kill the blue flags too! If you're that much quicker that you're able to lap another driver, pass them on your own goddamn merit. F1 should not be a sport that hands out gifts, fucking earn it! Also solves the radio bitching that they didn't get out of their way fast enough.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yes, I want to see overtakes that take actual skill besides pressing the god-mode button. If you're driving in a car with a surplus of power, grip, handling etc. and you're not able to overtake a Renault on old tyres, perhaps you shouldn't be driving that Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull. I don't think Max, Charles or Lewis would have had a much trouble as they had.

Furthermore, how awesome would it be if Hulkenberg (or any other F1.5 driver) would actually be able to keep a MB/F/RB car behind him. It would certainly level the playing field, mitigating the power difference.

While we're at it, kill the blue flags too! If you're that much quicker that you're able to lap another driver, pass them on your own goddamn merit. F1 should not be a sport that hands out gifts, fucking earn it! Also solves the radio bitching that they didn't get out of their way fast enough.

It's not that simple. To be able to overtake without DRS with these cars you need to be around 2.5-3.5 seconds faster a lap depending on the track. This is because it's extremely difficult to follow behind in F1 as there are so many aero parts that are affected by the wake of the car infront, as well as destroying tyres and overheating issues.

It would cause most races to be processions with just a train of cars, especially the street races.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton rarely stumbles at his current form. He makes the rest look second tier over a full season. It will be difficult to knock him from the throne in 2020.

It would be awesome to see him at Ferrari in 2021. But why would he walk away from a marketing deal that could last a lifetime?

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017

I mean it's not really a matter of skill when you lose so much time through the corners due to a lack of downforce from following the car in front. Maybe we'll see in 2021!

It wouldn't be awesome, teams would just go longer stints and preserve their tyres more to avoid getting stuck behind other cars.

And sure, having a clash of titans at the front being interrupted by two Williams moping along sounds like a great idea!

Krypta

Oct 29, 2017

Monaco would be a train of cars failing to lap Kubica.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hamilton rarely stumbles at his current form. He makes the rest look second tier over a full season. It will be difficult to knock him from the throne in 2020.

It would be awesome to see him at Ferrari in 2021. But why would he walk away from a marketing deal that could last a lifetime?

Yeah that's an astute observation. Even when he retires, if he leaves directly from Mercedes there's a good chance they'll retain "the world's greatest F1 driver" on substantial payroll, with minimal commitment, for years to come.

Hooker

Oct 28, 2017
It's not that simple. To be able to overtake without DRS with these cars you need to be around 2.5-3.5 seconds faster a lap depending on the track. This is because it's extremely difficult to follow behind in F1 as there are so many aero parts that are affected by the wake of the car infront, as well as destroying tyres and overheating issues.

It would cause most races to be processions with just a train of cars, especially the street races.
I mean it's not really a matter of skill when you lose so much time through the corners due to a lack of downforce from following the car in front. Maybe we'll see in 2021!

It wouldn't be awesome, teams would just go longer stints and preserve their tyres more to avoid getting stuck behind other cars.
In the current cars, absolutely; but that's where the 2021 regulations will help out, no?

And sure, having a clash of titans at the front being interrupted by two Williams moping along sounds like a great idea!
You mean like what happened today when Leclerc got into the DRS zone of a backmarker and was able to save himself from Bottas?

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Because more fuel means less fuel managing.
You can push the car more time and less fuel management thats the advantage

That's not an advantage gained by declaring the incorrect amount of fuel.

The only way what Ferrari did could be advantageous is if the declared amount was within legal limits and the actual amount was outside of those limits, which is not what happened here.

This is a "lol Ferrari" admin error, nothing more.

Oct 26, 2017

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
How did Danny Ric only get 11th? Poor driving, competitive midfield, shit track or all three?
Norris, Ricciardo, and Sainz were all heavily disadvantaged by the FIA DRS failure, since they pitted early and got stuck behind slow cars with no DRS. The cars that qualified just outside of the top 10 were heavily advantaged by the DRS system going down, since they could start on harder tyres and didn't have to pit early (when DRS was still down).

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Norris, Ricciardo, and Sainz were all heavily disadvantaged by the FIA DRS failure, since they pitted early and got stuck behind slow cars with no DRS. The cars that qualified just outside of the top 10 were heavily advantaged by the DRS system going down, since they could start on harder tyres and didn't have to pit early (when DRS was still down).
Ohhhh. Well, that's fucked then. Did they ever say why the DRS was disabled for so long?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this season. On paper it looks like a boring season but I felt there was plenty of drama weekly. Basically Drive to Survive season 2 should be pretty good.

My thoughts on my man Danny Ric this season: He didn't get any wins and podiums this season but I don't think that bothers him. He's in it for the long-term. If he stayed in Red Bull he would have probably got some podiums but in terms of the championships they're in the exact same place as when he left, 3rd place.

I think Danny's stock has actually gone up this season. He had to get used to the car and still managed to beat Hulkenberg, who had previously beat all his other teammates besides his rookie year. His replacements at Red Bull haven't looked as good as he did against Verstappen. Now it all comes down to luck for a potential 2021 seat or Renault getting better.

And if he doesn't get it at least he got paid these two seasons by Renault like a WDC lol.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
But consider that with Honda's seemingly better reliability compared to Renault last year (for RB anyway) Red Bull could've possibly ended up second in the constructors. With Ricciardo alongside Max it would've definitely played out differently. Obviously it would give the second Red Bull car more points, but it would've also likely helped Max get more points by having two RB cars up front allowing for more strategic flexibility.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
But consider that with Honda's seemingly better reliability compared to Renault last year (for RB anyway) Red Bull could've possibly ended up second in the constructors. With Ricciardo alongside Max it would've definitely played out differently. Obviously it would give the second Red Bull car more points, but it would've also likely helped Max get more points by having two RB cars up front allowing for more strategic flexibility.
Last season RBR made it clear that they'd do whatever it took to keep Max happy and at the team, including screwing over Dan. The only box Danny has left to tick in F1 is a WDC, and that was never going to happen at RBR with Max there.

You could argue that he should've gone to McLaren, and they definitely had the better car this year, but if you want a WDC you can't be an engine customer, you need a factory unit. If Ferrari or Merc had a seat then I'm sure Dan would've taken one, but Renault was the best factory seat available, so he took it.

It would've been interesting to see what Dan could've done in the Ferrari this year. I daresay he would've done a lot better than Vettel.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd think he would probably extend with Mercedes for 2021 but may want options to get out for 2022 after having time to evaluate the relative performance of the field. He'll surely want to go for 8 before retiring so won't want to go to Ferrari just to add the badge to his belt - he'll want to win

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this season. On paper it looks like a boring season but I felt there was plenty of drama weekly. Basically Drive to Survive season 2 should be pretty good.

My thoughts on my man Danny Ric this season: He didn't get any wins and podiums this season but I don't think that bothers him. He's in it for the long-term. If he stayed in Red Bull he would have probably got some podiums but in terms of the championships they're in the exact same place as when he left, 3rd place.

I think Danny's stock has actually gone up this season. He had to get used to the car and still managed to beat Hulkenberg, who had previously beat all his other teammates besides his rookie year. His replacements at Red Bull haven't looked as good as he did against Verstappen. Now it all comes down to luck for a potential 2021 seat or Renault getting better.

And if he doesn't get it at least he got paid these two seasons by Renault like a WDC lol.

The first third of the season was really boring, only Bahrain was entertaining and Canada thanks to stewarding shenanigans, other than that it was straight-forward. Something suddenly clicked at Austria though, after which we've had a series of good to excellent races, though the momentum kinda finished for the end of the season with Brazil being pretty bad until the SC shenanigans and Abu Dhabi being straight trash. The championships (both) were clearly decided after 5 or 6 races already so that brought no real excitement (especially with Bottas not being on a good level this season), but at least some Mercedes fuckery, a great in-season development by Ferrari and a couple hits by Verstappen made the individual races intriguing enough, with enough drama and controversies to chit-chat about between two races.

We ain't gonna look back at this season as a good one probably, in fact in the grand scheme of things it was one of the worst ones. So far the most dominated Mercedes seasons had an engaging intrateam battle between Hamilton and Rosberg, now Bottas was just nowhere and Hamilton winning every other race. But at the same time, if we have to pick the top 10 races of the power unit era, ther would probably be multiple races picked from this season. Hopefully 2020 will be more exciting and varied, with both individually fun races and a championship worth following. It does risk being an intermediate year in which no big enough change happens for anybody to dethrone Hamilton. But we've seen stranger things, and it's possible Mercedes will start to wind down their F1 investment leaving more crumbles to pick up for Ferrari and Red Bull.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yep, so many of the best overtakes this year have happened in the sidebar with no replay. The direction has been a joke, there's no point going to great lengths trying to improve the spectacle on a technical level if asshat directors are just going to butcher it anyway.

We get to see the good stuff in YouTube highlights a few days after the race. Makes me wonder why I even pay to watch the races.
Here are the good bits that were never shown during the race, including the pass that Perez described as the best of his career:

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm considering next year subscribing F1TV streaming, for all the extra stuff it got, its currently at 50€ for an year, who has it what do you think of the service?

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I really hope they get better at actually showing us the battles mid field next year. This race was a perfect example:

Oh Bottas is 5 seconds and catching Leclerc so lets follow that for 10 laps instead of both Mclaren and Renault being within a second of each other. Or lets watch Lewis win with an easy 7 second lead instead of Sainz and Hulk battling to secure his 6th place in the championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.