• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
With the season almost upon us, it's the perfect time to catch up on the other major 2020 racing league.

That's right, it's time for: Marbula One

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Helmut Marko revealed Verstappen's exit clause. If the Honda engine is not within .2 of a second from the top, he can opt out of his contract.

Verstappen contract has an exit clause

Dr Helmut Marko has admitted that Max Verstappen's new contract does contain an exit clause.
Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but this seems kind of crazy? Two tenths seems like a kinda small gap.. and how would that be measured anyway in order to enact the exit clause?

Oct 26, 2017

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but this seems kind of crazy? Two tenths seems like a kinda small gap.. and how would that be measured anyway in order to enact the exit clause?
Nah, without knowing more details this is meaningless.

0.2 seconds over what distance, and in what conditions?

You'd have to assume along a straight, in an equal car, but how and when could that be possibly be measured?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the season almost upon us, it's the perfect time to catch up on the other major 2020 racing league.

That's right, it's time for: Marbula One

The production values over this thing are insane. Can't wait for race 2.

Fell in love with Team Galactic when I saw them, that marble is just so great. So happy they won.

Here I am caring for "randomized" marble runs. Lmao.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

Saw this mentioned on the broadcast, and it's well worth watching.

The Williams improvement is massive. Consider Russell's lap on the right will be on a harder tyre, slower engine mode and with an early setup.

He is just fighting that car so hard last year compared to this year. And the last sector in particular has a stark difference.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Just watching the F1 testing and on Hamilton's on-board he was adjusting the reach on the steering column!? Closer to him on the straights and then further away under braking. What was that about?

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The Williams improvement is massive. Consider Russell's lap on the right will be on a harder tyre, slower engine mode and with an early setup.

He is just fighting that car so hard last year compared to this year. And the last sector in particular has a stark difference.

That's very intesting. Would be nice if they could actually fight for some places for once. I really want to see Russell in a car that can actually race.

Oct 28, 2017

At least it looks stable and easy to drive this year. Maybe they can score occasional points this season.

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
Just watching the F1 testing and on Hamilton's on-board he was adjusting the reach on the steering column!? Closer to him on the straights and then further away under braking. What was that about?

It seemed to change the toe angle of his front wheels, presumably to optimize for acceleration and top speed on the straights and cornering in the, well, corners. It'll be interesting to see if Merc have found some loophole in the rules, because active suspension is banned and this seems like it would fall under that.

Regardless, that's a cool ass idea.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
It seemed to change the toe angle of his front wheels, presumably to optimize for acceleration and top speed on the straights and cornering in the, well, corners. It'll be interesting to see if Merc have found some loophole in the rules, because active suspension is banned and this seems like it would fall under that.

Regardless, that's a cool ass idea.

Yeah just been reading the Autosport forum's take on it. I like the idea of it being a two settings of toe/camber they switch between because of the compressed testing times. Seems a very extravagant innovation just to save a little time but who knows.

I imagine even if Merc found a loophole here it would be quickly snuffed out by FIA?

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton's on-board lap looks insane. Best front end I've ever seen, almost seems unreal.

There was a graph going around last season that showed WIlliams were MASSIVELY down in the slow-speed corners compared to the rest, so it's no surprise they're quicker there this time. I can't find the image now.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
"I know it's only testing", but it's interesting that Ferrari have done a LOT of running over the last two days and haven't showed any pace yet. What are they hiding?

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
These sorts of inventions are a big part of why I love F1. Sure, it's basically decades old technology, but the implementation is novel and manages to get around them pesky rules. There was a shot of Renault's engineers watching footage of Hamilton's car and the looks on their faces told a million stories. The one I took away from it was "how did we all miss this?"

Be interesting to see which way FIA goes on this. If they do deem it legal, it's definitely not something that other teams can copy in a month or two. On the other hand, FIA might pull out the "spirit of the rules" card and ban it even if it's technically legal.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Could it be that it adds more camber so it has less contact with the road and therefore less friction?

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Another season done already, the race sims by Hamilton have been incredibly consistent

credit to Mercedes though, it's a great invention

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
If course the REALLY clever thing about this trick-toe system is all the attention it diverts from the other cleverer and less obvious tricks Merc are pulling.

Hooker

Oct 28, 2017
How much could this realistically save compared to the effort it takes.
Impossible to tell. But if this means they can have a draggier car without having the pains on the straights, it could be huge.

If course the REALLY clever thing about this trick-toe system is all the attention it diverts from the other cleverer and less obvious tricks Merc are pulling.
Exactly this. Mercedes' masterplan has been set in motion.

Oct 25, 2017
Be interesting to see which way FIA goes on this. If they do deem it legal, it's definitely not something that other teams can copy in a month or two. On the other hand, FIA might pull out the "spirit of the rules" card and ban it even if it's technically legal.
We already know what will happen.
There will be a rules clarification and this won't be on the car for Australia.
Modifying the toe-in of the car while it is moving is already of dubious legality anyway.
How much could this realistically save compared to the effort it takes.
A lot. Especially in circuits with long straights. Saves on tyres as well.

Oct 26, 2017
I remember Ross Brawn saying that the biggest advantage the double diffuser gave the BGP-01 was that it diverted attention from the rest of the car.
This thread on the F1 subreddit has some great discussion about Merc's funky steering angle shenanigans.
www.reddit.com

r/formula1 - Mercedes active toe change

9,561 votes and 1,663 comments so far on Reddit

drowsy

Oct 27, 2017
FIA saying that something is legal doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be legal in a week or a month if other teams start complaining. That's how F1 has always worked.

I like how Mercedes has branded this thing as "Dual Axis Steering". You can't change the suspension geometry while the car is moving, except that's exactly what turning the steering wheel does already. Why stop at being able to turn the wheel when you could think in three dimensions. Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.