• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for even more Sbinallas and MEIN GOTT MUSS DAS SEIN! in the family drama of Ferrari this year.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
just your happy reminder that testing in Barcelona starts two weeks on Wednesday :)

magnificent83

Oct 30, 2017
Really excited for the season. Going to Bahrain to see my second race live. Can't wait to see what the Netflix show will reveal about the past season.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what prompted that?

Part of me thinks Ocon getting the drive for this year, and part of me thinks Renault are giving signs that they might be extending Danny Ric or not considering Aitkin to replace him. Either way, moves like this are usually because of lack of near future opportunities at the "top spots".

(Same thing happened with Nyck De Vries leaving the McLaren program around the time that Lando and Carlos were confirmed there).

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
On that note looking forward to how Ocon and Ricciardo will get along. Considering Ric wasn't his biggest fan in the past.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Would Renault favor Danny in a fight? They paid significant bucks for him to be there.
Gee, I don't know. There's already cracks in that relationship with Abiteboul praising Ocon's arrival over Ricky's for being "better atmosphere" because Ricky puts too much pressure on the team. And vice versa, Ricky being critical of Renault after last year's performance.

And then there's the added bonus of Ocon being French.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Allright! Bring on next season, had a blast last time around, but only after the very boring start.
Holy snizzballs, just realised I made second place. Very happy to achieve that after a dysmal start. Kudos to the winner! Love your avatar btw :D
Ooh, made the first page of rankings. Nice.

My self-imposed "mid-pack" team also did pretty well. It it I did not pick any previous top 6 driver or any of the top 3 teams.

JorSneezy

Oct 17, 2019
In most ways I've given up on Ferrari surpassing Mercedes with this ruleset. Vettel hasn't been the same since wrecking at Germany two years ago and Ferrari didn't seem willing to fully back Charles when he was obviously faster.

Personally think Red Bull are the only ones aggressive enough to give Mercedes a run this year.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Would Renault favor Danny in a fight? They paid significant bucks for him to be there.
Personally I don't think they would. Firstly they'll have see how well that went at Ferrari last year, secondly I don't think Ricciardo would be as likely as Vettel to throw his toys out of the pram if Ocon didn't jump out of his way and lastly I just don't think there's the same impetus for one driver to always be the No1 when you're in a midfield team.

I suspect that if they don't improve upon last years results they'll be happy for Ocon to take the lead as Ricciardo would likely want to move on and free up a big chunk of money for the team.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Danny Ric taking Seb's seat if it's available in 2021.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I can't imagine Ricky and his personality working in that strict Ferrari culture at all, to be fair.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
No way he's going Merc. McLaren are locked up for a while.

I assume the fantasy league code is incorrect at the moment.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'll be very excited if RB could mount a challenge from the off. Not just because it'd make the season far more interesting but also because I'm curious to see how Verstappen would handle a title challenge year. At the minute he's clearly one of the top 2 drivers on the grid but there's a big difference in pressure between being able to win a few races throughout the year and running a sustained campaign.

Yes Hamilton's had the best car for most of his time at Mercedes but I think a lot of people underestimate the pressure that comes with putting together a championship challenge through a whole season.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I'm going back and watching 2010 and holy crap, I can't believe how utterly amazing that season was!

Red Bull had the fastest car but Seb was very young and error prone and Webber was massively inconsistent. Alonso, Button and Lewis were regularly brilliant and then you had Kubica who put that Renault ahead of faster cars with absolutely ease.

5 drivers had a chance of the title in the closing rounds, with 4 drivers across 3 teams having a chance of winning the title in Abu Dhabi. Good lord.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be very excited if RB could mount a challenge from the off. Not just because it'd make the season far more interesting but also because I'm curious to see how Verstappen would handle a title challenge year. At the minute he's clearly one of the top 2 drivers on the grid but there's a big difference in pressure between being able to win a few races throughout the year and running a sustained campaign.

Yes Hamilton's had the best car for most of his time at Mercedes but I think a lot of people underestimate the pressure that comes with putting together a championship challenge through a whole season.

I say that, as always, the truth is somewhere inbetween. He had only one title before he sat in the most dominant car in the history of the sport, losing out on at least 3 titles he had the car to win (2007, 2010, 2012). Of course you can say the same for Alonso as well who, likewise, lost out on those very same titles. In Mercedes he really didn't have much to fight, and yet Rosberg put up a challenge in most years, and now Bottas (who never looked like a particularly brilliant driver even in Williams tbh) is getting his ass handed to him. In 2017 when Ferrari was close to Mercedes, Vettel put up a serious fight until late-season issues (a crash, technical troubles, etc.) hampered him. In 2018 when Ferrari was on par with Mercedes often, Vettel was in it until he didn't lose the plot, but pace-wise there was clearly somebody putting up a fight.

He's the best driver right now, I don't think there's any question about this. Vettel is nowhere near his best, Alonso retired from F1 for now, Raikkonen's peak was over a decade ago, and drivers like Max, Leclerc (or even Norris) have yet to show their true worth once they sit in a car that can truly compete for a title. But Hamilton's legacy is obviously hard to pinpoint. Because while Schumacher narrowly lost out on titles against much better cars (1997 was insane), Hamilton lost when he wasn't in the best car and dominated when he was.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a side note, remember when everybody was painting doom and gloom scenarios in Maranello because Ferrari was presenting their car so late?

It'll actually be the first presentation now that we have all the dates.

February
11: Ferrari
12: Red Bull, Renault
13: McLaren
14: Alpha Tauri, Mercedes
17: Racing Point, Williams
19: HAAS, Alfa Romeo

So it's safe to say Ferrari will have the best car, Renault will battle with Red Bull for 2nd while Mercedes will have a hard time staying in front of McLaren and Alpha Tauri? :P

Oct 27, 2017
Funny watching the FIA do the mental calculation between all the money they'll make off the Chinese GP vs A global pandemic with a 2% mortality rate

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, you can look at Brazil and Hungary last year as examples of how the lad functions under pressure. Man, you can even go back to his first win in Barcelona. Stepping into RBR with a week's notice with Kimi on his ass for half the race. I doubt it'll make that much of a difference for the lad. Sure there will be pressure, but I think he got most of his overdriving out of the way in early 2018 and has been reliable enough for a title challenge ever since.

Funny watching the FIA do the mental calculation between all the money they'll make off the Chinese GP vs A global pandemic with a 2% mortality rate
I doubt this is what's happening. It's just that cancelling a race isn't as simple as going "oh well, good luck, see you next year." The sheer amount of contracts that FIA and FOM have to deal with when they cancel a race is something else I'd imagine. Not just the track, all their sponsors, there's also TV deals, etc.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, you can look at Brazil and Hungary last year as examples of how the lad functions under pressure. Man, you can even go back to his first win in Barcelona. Stepping into RBR with a week's notice with Kimi on his ass for half the race. I doubt it'll make that much of a difference for the lad. Sure there will be pressure, but I think he got most of his overdriving out of the way in early 2018 and has been reliable enough for a title challenge ever since.
I'm not denying his skill under pressure in individual races but there's a big difference between being under that pressure for a couple of races here and there and under it for all 21/22 races of a season.

I hope he can handle it (if the opportunity occurs!) but I'm definitely curious to see it.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not denying his skill under pressure in individual races but there's a big difference between being under that pressure for a couple of races here and there and under it for all 21/22 races of a season.

I hope he can handle it (if the opportunity occurs!) but I'm definitely curious to see it.

So far is his career Max has fought with nothing to lose and he's been outstanding at it with only Brazil 2018 where he made a mistake. If RB do have a title challenging car this year and he has a title lead to defend we will see what he's made of. This will be his sixth season, he's ironed out most of his flaws especially in qualifying so it will be interesting to see how his challenges Hamilton this year. I don't think he'll win but it will be close.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I still think Max has some ironing out to do. He's a fantastic driver (Austria was amazing), but he's the one responsible for his lap one DNF at Spa. Even though he started at the back of the grid in Monza he's the one that ran into Perez. He also makes quite a few moves that rely on the other driver to not cause a collision (Monaco, Austria, Mexico). You can say that's on the other drivers, but it is somewhat on Max to understand their driving behavior and know what move is always going to end in a wreck.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I still think Max has some ironing out to do.

extreme-ironing.jpg

I just want a competitive season from beginning to end!

Sounds like Verstappen knows that Honda and Red Bull have made strides since the season ended, and is feeling confident about his chances. I still maintain that Hamilton is arguably one of the very best F1 driver when he's under a lot of pressure, no matter how many times he whines (unconvincingly) about his tyres...

I have no favourites in F1, but I do miss the Max and Ricciardo show.

tenor.gif

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

Looks like we're getting live broadcasts for both weeks of testing this year.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I've been out for the last handful of years, and watching premier league more as a result (easier in California with MOTD).

Is there any way to watch F1 without having cable TV? Can I give YouTube money to watch it yet? Or is there a MOTD equivalent yet? I miss F1 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.