• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Back to the familiar colours. Looks fine.

On the China GP, Brawn has said they won't swap. But if it really if off in April they'll reschedule it to late(r) in the season.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Grand-final%C3%A9-in-Bahrain-%E2%80%93-the-Porsche-919-Hybrid%E2%80%99s-last-race.jpg

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Man, I rewatched some Drive to Survive and I can't help but imagine how good F1 would look broadcast in 4k and not compressed to hell and back by the networks.

Jul 18, 2018
Yes. I was considering getting the F1 stream package because of this, but it's apparently also not great. 1080 but 25fps right?
Yea @25 fps. Honestly, i have a friend with that package and i noticed no difference between that and say watching the race broadcast on ESPN. Even if you are getting bitrate at 5.8mbps. The closest i've seen in US to get 4k feed is to use AceStream links to stream via VLC

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Remember Ferarri last year though.

And then Australia happened.
Or McLaren 2011. Anything could happen. I know it's not representative, but usually unless somebody finds a last minute solution or just flat out weird shit happens it helps to paint a picture. You really can't speed test a solution like you used to be able to.

Jul 19, 2018
I would expect Merc to be strong at the start of the season considering they switched most of their resources to this year as of the summer break. They'll obviously sandbag at testing as per

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I would expect Merc to be strong at the start of the season considering they switched most of their resources to this year as of the summer break. They'll obviously sandbag at testing as per
Yes they will sandbag, and yes they will remain the favorites. But given there's total rule parity, I don't think there's much value in this early resource switch. The car design will not be that different, it's all details at this point and if they thought of something stellar since the summer, it would've long been on the 2019 car because they'd be interchangeable.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-structure-loopholes-ruin-2021-brawn/4681514/

I appreciate them trying to close loopholes quicker, but this sounds ridiculously easy to exploit. With only 3 teams needed to block a controversial element to be immediately banned, let's say Ferrari or Red Bull comes up with something tricky. They already have 2 votes each as they both have one satellite team. Or what if there's an expensive loophole that only the 3 biggest spenders have the budget and technical background to use efficiently? No way they'll vote for a ban.

The FIA needs to be more straight-forward with the rules and have the balls to declare what is legal and what isn't, shooting down what will be causing controversy. We had double diffusers, mass damper, flexible wings and other stuff that they just couldn't touch, because deep down they admitted it was unfair advantage but their rigidity didn't allow them to act quick. With this system, all you need is another team or two who "accidentally" finds out your same trick and bam, your barely legal solution will be good to go until the end of the season.

The FIA creates the rules. They should be the ones knowing what's legal and what isn't. If you have to ask the teams what they deem legal, that's already the wrong approach imho.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-structure-loopholes-ruin-2021-brawn/4681514/

I appreciate them trying to close loopholes quicker, but this sounds ridiculously easy to exploit. With only 3 teams needed to block a controversial element to be immediately banned, let's say Ferrari or Red Bull comes up with something tricky. They already have 2 votes each as they both have one satellite team. Or what if there's an expensive loophole that only the 3 biggest spenders have the budget and technical background to use efficiently? No way they'll vote for a ban.

The FIA needs to be more straight-forward with the rules and have the balls to declare what is legal and what isn't, shooting down what will be causing controversy. We had double diffusers, mass damper, flexible wings and other stuff that they just couldn't touch, because deep down they admitted it was unfair advantage but their rigidity didn't allow them to act quick. With this system, all you need is another team or two who "accidentally" finds out your same trick and bam, your barely legal solution will be good to go until the end of the season.

The FIA creates the rules. They should be the ones knowing what's legal and what isn't. If you have to ask the teams what they deem legal, that's already the wrong approach imho.
Good points. I agree, at least in principle, with what Brawn is trying to achieve. It's definitely more exciting if Alfa gets a shot once in a blue moon because circumstances lined up and their car isn't 3 seconds off the pace. I haven't been watching long enough though to know how good or bad this decision is.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Good points. I agree, at least in principle, with what Brawn is trying to achieve. It's definitely more exciting if Alfa gets a shot once in a blue moon because circumstances lined up and their car isn't 3 seconds off the pace. I haven't been watching long enough though to know how good or bad this decision is.
In theory is good because it would be harder to see someone being ahead of everyone else by a lot ( like for example Brawn GP in 2009 ).

But we have to wait and see if it actually works.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
On the subject of "best driver" I think this analysis from a redditor is pretty much the best I've seen:

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2019/11/22/the-f1metrics-top-100/

It's biased towards modern drivers because of improved training standards, but comparing between drivers of the same era I think it does pretty well.

Thanks for sharing this, it was a really interesting read despite some of the weird anomalies the formula displayed (low ranking of 80's legends, Stroll & Eriksson inexplicably high etc)

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Thanks for sharing this, it was a really interesting read despite some of the weird anomalies the formula displayed (low ranking of 80's legends, Stroll & Eriksson inexplicably high etc)

The author addresses the low ranking in the article.

I think the truth is these modern drivers are faster than those legends of 80s nostalgia largely because of modern training standards and resources (it's fair to say we see this pattern in most sports), but also because that era is also over-romanticised a lot.

Of course, put those old drivers in with the same resources and maybe they'd be ranked much higher. Maybe, maybe not.

Having said that I would agree that Stroll is an odd anomaly.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So, it wasn't in the OP earlier, but if you want to join the Discord for extra hot takes, here's the link:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
For reference: Launch dates.

Kicking off tomorrow!

Ferrari: February 11 @ Reggio Emilia, Italy
Renault: February 12 @ France
Red Bull: February 12 @ Milton Keynes, UK
McLaren: February 13 @ Woking, UK
AlphaTauri: February 14 @ Salzburg, Austria
Mercedes: February 14 @ Silverstone, UK
Racing Point: February 17 @ Mondsee, Austria
Williams: February 17 @ Grove, UK
Haas: February 19 @ Barcelona, Spain
Alfa Romeo: February 19 @ Barcelona, Spain

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I was very confused about Racing Point, but then I remembered BWT is Austrian.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Can't believe that the new season is getting this close already. Looking forward to the practice shenanigans.

What does bum me out however is that I assumed the season would start at the end of March, but instead the first race is on the 15th, and I'm in Japan from the 9th till the 22nd. Does anyone have any tips on how to (potentially) watch the race during my trip?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
This will be my second season of F1, as I started watching the sport around Austria last year. Became a fan pretty quickly. Having such a small 'league' of teams and charismatic players made it all the more easier.

Can't wait for Drive to Survive S2, discovering what Ocon and Latifi are like, and how Hamilton will react this season to staunch competition from the hungry new generation. Ever since Monza he was giving miffed soundbites like "oh, so that's how it's gonna be....ok, I understand now...". I wonder if he's going to be more risky in his maneuvers or stick to his usual clinical technique.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Mercedes partnering with a company owned by a pro Brexit arsehole is incredibly depressing.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'll subscribe F1TV this year given my screwed work schedule, the replays are nice on that regard

Status
Not open for further replies.