• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
"The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties."

Finally we can close the book on this one and move on. There's no way to spin a conspiracy out of this.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this does is make people lose respect for the FiA and Ferrari. If the FIA told everyone the truth, and if Ferrari admitted they thought they found a gap in the rules but were wrong, then this would blow over.

As a result they're both going to get years more ire.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
"The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties."

Finally we can close the book on this one and move on. There's no way to spin a conspiracy out of this.
How does that even make sense? If there was nothing wrong, then Ferrari would demand that they say that out in public. There's no way they found nothing. My guess is they found something that is not expressly banned, but its also not in the spirit of the rules. So they'd rather say nothing.

Krypta

Oct 29, 2017

Translation: Ferrari were cheating like FUCK with their engine, but we can't kick them out because we need them more than they need us.

Ferrari get away with it as usual, I'm sure they'll never cheat again now that they promised the FIA they won't cheat after having received zero punishment for cheating.

source.gif

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to tag it since it was at the very end of the last episode but this bit had me laughing out loud:

Everyone hyping up the 2020 season, toughest yet, cards being shuffled, dramatic music etc etc. Here comes Kimi: "It's more like a hobby to me, obviously I don't have to do it if I don't want to". Really need more Kimi in season 3, shame Alfa wasn't featured at all this season.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just going to tag it since it was at the very end of the last episode but this bit had me laughing out loud:

Everyone hyping up the 2020 season, toughest yet, cards being shuffled, dramatic music etc etc. Here comes Kimi: "It's more like a hobby to me, obviously I don't have to do it if I don't want to". Really need more Kimi in season 3, shame Alfa wasn't featured at all this season.

That cracked me up so much

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does that even make sense? If there was nothing wrong, then Ferrari would demand that they say that out in public. There's no way they found nothing. My guess is they found something that is not expressly banned, but its also not in the spirit of the rules. So they'd rather say nothing.

They were being sarcastic.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I just watched episode 2 of Drive to Survive season 2 and my god I don't want to be in the same team with Gunther Steiner. I'd rather drive a broken Williams.

navanman

Oct 27, 2017
Dublin
Ferrari had to build a whole new engine, including turbo.
This settlement with FIA has affected their engine design at a fundamental level.
Binotto admitted that this year's engine is down on power compared to last year.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Holy shit Steiner is insane , I need a count on how many times he says some variation of "Fuck" in episode 2 lmaooo

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I got that. I meant Ferrari and FIA, how would they think this statement would go over well.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

Yeah I agree. Fans, the other teams (particularly Renault) and the media shouldn't stand for it, and should keep applying pressure for them to reveal the details.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Translation: Ferrari were cheating like FUCK with their engine, but we can't kick them out because we need them more than they need us.

Ferrari get away with it as usual, I'm sure they'll never cheat again now that they promised the FIA they won't cheat after having received zero punishment for cheating.

Any other team cheating "Here's their dirty laundry aired in public and here's their punishment."

Ferrari cheats " We've come to an arrangement we're not going to tell anyone about. "

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Watched 8 episodes of D2S so far. Really enjoyed it apart from

spoiler > < spoiler

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any other team cheating "Here's their dirty laundry aired in public and here's their punishment."

Ferrari cheats " We've come to an arrangement we're not going to tell anyone about. "

To be fair, when Mercedes did an illegal test that helped them overcome their tyre troubles, going from frequent scorers to podium finishers in the span of a couple weeks, all they got was a slap on the wrist. When McLaren stole important documents from Ferrari that helped them in multiple seasons of Formula 1 development, strategies and whatnot, they were still able to compete for the title (had Hamilton not screwed up the start, chances are he'd have been world champion in 2007).

Formula 1 has a fucked up way to deal with cheats because it's political as hell. They tend to not want to anger big teams too much, so they just not punish them too harshly in the fear that they pack their things up and leave the sport altogether. It sucks. Not that the same doesn't happen elsewhere, mind.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, when Mercedes did an illegal test that helped them overcome their tyre troubles, going from frequent scorers to podium finishers in the span of a couple weeks, all they got was a slap on the wrist. When McLaren stole important documents from Ferrari that helped them in multiple seasons of Formula 1 development, strategies and whatnot, they were still able to compete for the title (had Hamilton not screwed up the start, chances are he'd have been world champion in 2007).

Formula 1 has a fucked up way to deal with cheats because it's political as hell. They tend to not want to anger big teams too much, so they just not punish them too harshly in the fear that they pack their things up and leave the sport altogether. It sucks. Not that the same doesn't happen elsewhere, mind.

The difference with those was there was at least some transparency in what the issue was and what the penalty was. Here it's just a pitiful attempt not to upset Ferrari.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The difference with those was there was at least some transparency in what the issue was and what the penalty was. Here it's just a pitiful attempt not to upset Ferrari.

And what's the difference in terms of results? McLaren won the title in 2008, no doubt directly or indirectly gaining advantage from that scenario as well (they can't just "unknow" the data they had, plus Ferrari definitely changed a lot of tech and race strategies to throw McLaren off). Mercedes took several years of beatings because they could just not figure out the tyres, then suddenly they started winning races. By the time their dominant engine arrived in 2014, they finally knew better than others how to use the tyres (they had a private test with all Pirelli engineers working for them after all), and the results are in front of everybody's eyes.

Ferrari, just like all the teams, cheats. Unless you started watching Formula 1 in the past couple months (which isn't the case), you know this is nothing unusual. Does it suck? Yes, it does. But the big teams blatantly cheating and then getting away with it is quite literally the theme of decades of Formula 1. FIA's inability to juggle between wanting to keep the big boys happy and wanting to have a clean race isn't working out, and it's something you can see with FIFA/UEFA as well, see how teams like Real and Barca got away with minimal punishments for grave transfer violations and such.

The reality of things is that if they give a giant ban to Ferrari, the sport comes out damaged. If they ban Mercedes for some shenanigans, the sport comes out damaged. If Red Bull pull out their massive money from Formula 1 because the rules aren't to their liking, the sport comes out damaged. Short-term it's a huge blow, and they will not fuck with the big teams enough to make this happen. Turning this into a "FIA is helping Ferrari again" is naive, because the last decade they helped Red Bull and Mercedes in much similar ways.

shazla

Oct 28, 2017
I feel rather bad for Merc & Honda (and i guess Renault), who have been trying to produce an engine to match a target that was operating illegally. It's clearly at least had a detrimental effect on Merc at least trying to reach those impossible targets.

Oct 25, 2017
Mercedes are oil burning cheaters - fuck them. Just like the V8 era both Ferrari and Mercedes are prolific cheats.

Honda the other day said the FIA had blocked them from implementing new discoveries they had made over the winter, now I'm wondering if their Italian PU monitoring and regulatory partner had any say in this?

I wouldn't want any FIA personnel near my PU, the other three need to kick up a stink.

To reward Ferrari for cheating Todt has still got to be on the Ferrari payroll.

Last edited:

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Mercedes are oil burning cheaters - fuck them. Just like the V8 era both Ferrari and Mercedes are prolific cheats.

Honda the other day said the FIA had blocked them from implementing new discoveries they had made over the winter, now I'm wondering if their Italian PU monitoring and regulatory partner had any say in this?

I wouldn't want any FIA personnel near my PU, the other three need to kick up a stink.

To reward Ferrari for cheating Todt has still got to be on the Ferrari payroll.

I take it all back, ban this guy.

Oct 26, 2017
Lets lighten things up a bit.
I got this in my suggestions after watching the Marbula 1 content. I thought you guys may appreciate it.

Dutch

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Ferrari not even being able to win whilst cheating is the most embarrassing part of this all.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And what's the difference in terms of results? McLaren won the title in 2008, no doubt directly or indirectly gaining advantage from that scenario as well (they can't just "unknow" the data they had, plus Ferrari definitely changed a lot of tech and race strategies to throw McLaren off). Mercedes took several years of beatings because they could just not figure out the tyres, then suddenly they started winning races. By the time their dominant engine arrived in 2014, they finally knew better than others how to use the tyres (they had a private test with all Pirelli engineers working for them after all), and the results are in front of everybody's eyes.

Ferrari, just like all the teams, cheats. Unless you started watching Formula 1 in the past couple months (which isn't the case), you know this is nothing unusual. Does it suck? Yes, it does. But the big teams blatantly cheating and then getting away with it is quite literally the theme of decades of Formula 1. FIA's inability to juggle between wanting to keep the big boys happy and wanting to have a clean race isn't working out, and it's something you can see with FIFA/UEFA as well, see how teams like Real and Barca got away with minimal punishments for grave transfer violations and such.

The reality of things is that if they give a giant ban to Ferrari, the sport comes out damaged. If they ban Mercedes for some shenanigans, the sport comes out damaged. If Red Bull pull out their massive money from Formula 1 because the rules aren't to their liking, the sport comes out damaged. Short-term it's a huge blow, and they will not fuck with the big teams enough to make this happen. Turning this into a "FIA is helping Ferrari again" is naive, because the last decade they helped Red Bull and Mercedes in much similar ways.

A couple of issues with this. One is that Renault were banned from results in the same damned season for comparable technical infractions. Not years ago, months.

The other is that while yes, Mercedes and Red Bull have benefitted from FiA leniency in the past, there was much more clarity on what the transgression was and what the penalty was.

Keeping all this private really does show there is a next level treatment of Ferrari over any other team on the grid. I'm not sure how you can defend that with whataboutism.

Dutch

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Who even cares about all this? The FIA could literally let Ferrari drive one lap less per race and Ferrari would still get shafted by Mercedes and their own their incompetence.

OP
OP
Aiii

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Who even cares about all this? The FIA could literally let Ferrari drive one lap less per race and Ferrari would still get shafted by Mercedes and their own their incompetence.
Sure, it won't change who the WDC or WCC was, but cheating should be penalized regardless of how incompetent Ferrari is. This behind-closed-door sketchy deal making is some next level shady shit.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

Amazing moment, I laughed so hard.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how good the Tracing Point will be. It would be fun to have another team challenging for podiums, at this point I don't even care who it is.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really wonder how good the Tracing Point will be. It would be fun to have another team challenging for podiums, at this point I don't even care who it is.

The new cars is supposed to be about a second faster than last year's. If all they did was copying the 2019 Merc they'll probably be behind Mclaren and Renault.

Status
Not open for further replies.