• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I'll grant you that Tim sucks. I've never much liked him to be honest. Just felt and feels arbitrarily combative about everything.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Combative is better than Simms tho, who mostly just alternates between heavy sighs and incredulous "w-what??"s.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on episode 45 of MAG, so I guess I'm around the beginning of season 2? I'm a bit unclear on that. Anyway, any good resources to refresh my memory on the overarching story? I feel like listening to creepy horror stories, but it's been quite a while since I've listened to this.
There's a wiki and there's an active subreddit. I've listened to all of them and I honestly need a good refresher myself.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Combative is better than Simms tho, who mostly just alternates between heavy sighs and incredulous "w-what??"s.
Simms at least feels more like a real person. Tim just seems like they needed a temporary red herring and then after he served his purpose they kept him around.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Started to listen to Sayer from the start again because it had been a while and I had forgotten a lot...and man, episode 6 A Dreamless Sleep is still as fantastic as it was the first time. In one broad stroke, it expands the scope of the series, does a lot of world-building, offer a creepy yet clever self-contained story, and confirms an integral plot detail regarding its titular character. That episode is what made me go from liking Sayer to loving it

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
The last story(mr smiley) in the free version of the no sleep was fucking awful. Felt like a joke story

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I asked earlier in the thread but didn't get a response, so I'll ask again:

The Beef and Dairy Network is fucking fantastic!! Anyone got any recommendations of similar tone?

Also QWERPLINE while I'm at it. God I wish that show was a regular one instead of once a year or never.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I asked earlier in the thread but didn't get a response, so I'll ask again:

The Beef and Dairy Network is fucking fantastic!! Anyone got any recommendations of similar tone?

Also QWERPLINE while I'm at it. God I wish that show was a regular one instead of once a year or never.
The Onion's A Very Fatal Murder might hit the same notes, presenting its absurdity in a straight faced manner

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the first story of No Sleep actually has potential for a good horror story and then just ends lmao

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
On the hunt for some good horror.

I've checked out No Sleep, and it felt like it just meandered a bit too much for my tastes. I've listened to the first couple episodes of Creepy, and it's ok, but I'm just not a fan of the host. He sounds like he's falling asleep so his delivery is awful.

I've been listening to The Magnus Archives, which I'm digging. The Black Tapes got exhausting and I wasn't too keen on I Am Eskew.

Anything else out there that might be worth a listen?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

I've checked out No Sleep, and it felt like it just meandered a bit too much for my tastes. I've listened to the first couple episodes of Creepy, and it's ok, but I'm just not a fan of the host. He sounds like he's falling asleep so his delivery is awful.

I've been listening to The Magnus Archives, which I'm digging. The Black Tapes got exhausting and I wasn't too keen on I Am Eskew.

ever listen to knifepoint horror?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Have you listened to Sayer? It's not completely horror, more sci-fi horror/sci-fi conspiracy/dark comedy but it can be pretty creepy when it wants to be. If you check it out, I'd recommend listening to episodes 1-6 before dropping. I liked it before 6, but episode 6 made me a fan.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I have not! Just added it and downloaded the first couple of episodes. Will give it a listen on the way home from work.
well my personal top-tier of horror podcasts* is magnus, eskew, and knifepoint, and you've split my opinions on the other two, so i guess we'll see what your verdict is on the third.

*with a special shoutout for sayer for being fantastic and dancing back and forth between sf-horror and just plain sf.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Have you listened to Sayer? It's not completely horror, more sci-fi horror/sci-fi conspiracy/dark comedy but it can be pretty creepy when it wants to be. If you check it out, I'd recommend listening to episodes 1-6 before dropping. I liked it before 6, but episode 6 made me a fan.

It sounds familiar but I don't think I've listened to it. But I just downloaded the first six episodes, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks!

well my personal top-tier of horror podcasts* is magnus, eskew, and knifepoint, and you've split my opinions on the other two, so i guess we'll see what your verdict is on the third.

*with a special shoutout for sayer for being fantastic and dancing back and forth between sf-horror and just plain sf.

Reading the descriptions of the first few episodes of Knifepoint has me really looking forward to it. Eskew wasn't bad, it just wasn't gelling with me. So yeah, we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation!

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The upcoming audiodrama Adventures In New America sounds really promising
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/arts/the-best-new-social-thriller-is-a-podcast.html
Fiction podcasts have always felt one step behind the culture. The audio drama's great and unexpected resurgence in this decade, thanks to the rise of podcasting's listen-whenever-and-wherever-you-like technology, has produced a cutting-edge genre that seems somehow suspended in time.

Maybe it's because so many scripted podcasts have borrowed from old radio plays. Or maybe it's because they've so often leaned into genre storytelling, leaving social reality behind to build fantasy worlds and unravel mysteries. The experimental sandbox of the new form has produced sharp plots and intriguing aural soundscapes but few stories that seem to access something bigger than themselves.

The moment that changed, for me, came when I was white-knuckling the pole in a crowded subway car, piping the pilot of the politically charged dystopian fantasy "Adventures in New America" into my ears (the premiere is on Sept. 28). I began to sense the world developing in my head as more immediate than the human crush of my commute. I felt something similar a few days later, running down the street and listening to the first episode of "The Horror of Dolores Roach" (Oct. 17). It's a show with "Sweeney Todd" elements that also draws in threads about gentrification and racist policing, and it was so absorbing that I missed my turn by three blocks.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Listened to the first few episodes of Knifepoint and I'm pretty torn. The last two stories were very enjoyable (Eyes and Trail) and the ones before that were pretty ok. The one thing that's just really getting to me is the bad voiceovers. Even with different voice actors they all sound just unnatural, bored, and really feels like they're just reading from a script.

I'm gonna keep on with it because if the stories remain strong I might be able to overlook the voice acting.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good call, I keep hearing about it and then promptly forgetting about it. Will give it a shot.
Reporting back: A Very Fatal Murder was great.

And also I'd COMPLETELY forgotten that I'd already listened to it before haha.

Need more stuff like it! Gosh internet fill my needs!

I'm looking forward to AiNW for sure. Can't wait.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Reporting back: A Very Fatal Murder was great.

And also I'd COMPLETELY forgotten that I'd already listened to it before haha.

Need more stuff like it! Gosh internet fill my needs!

I also listened to it a second time a while ago! Still amazing.

I wish I could give recommendations, but I'm also looking for something similar. Your earlier post actually got me to listening Beef and Dairy Network, lol. I'm only a few episodes in, but it's very good so far. I'm not a native speaker though, so some of the heavy accents are sort of throwing me for a loop.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017

I wish I could give recommendations, but I'm also looking for something similar. Your earlier post actually got me to listening Beef and Dairy Network, lol. I'm only a few episodes in, but it's very good so far. I'm not a native speaker though, so some of the heavy accents are sort of throwing me for a loop.
I can barely understand half of what the Scottish guy says lol

I almost think that's kind of the point, but I'm sure it's probably different for people actually used to that accent.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
so while i was busy downloading the new magnus episode last night, my girlfriend walked into a magnus episode instead: she got lost inside an empty natural history museum full of taxidermy and skeletons after-hours alone. i'm kind of jealous. maybe i should go to grad school just for some horror novel research.

anyway i told her it was a great omen for that to happen on the day of a magnus episode involving
the power behind the taxidermy monsters
and sure enough it was a good one.

Listened to the first few episodes of Knifepoint and I'm pretty torn. The last two stories were very enjoyable (Eyes and Trail) and the ones before that were pretty ok. The one thing that's just really getting to me is the bad voiceovers. Even with different voice actors they all sound just unnatural, bored, and really feels like they're just reading from a script.

I'm gonna keep on with it because if the stories remain strong I might be able to overlook the voice acting.
this was actually a disclaimer i allllmost typed up before recommending it to you. they eventually just stick with one guy permanently, other than one or two episodes that do multiple narrators. squinting at my podcast app, i think it's the guy who narrates the next one in line for you ("School") that eventually becomes the main reader. he's not super expressive, but he's a solid audiobookish narrator imo, especially for the most common knifepoint narrator archetype, "dude hurtling into a miserable situation alone."

the stories do stay strong imo.

oh speaking of "dude hurtling into a miserable situation," the same author has another podcast besides knifepoint for his general fiction, "those snowy nights you read to me, they'll never be forgotten." i don't think any of it is really horror (still gong through them) but there's one episode that's at least both supernatural and horrifyingly dark, "An oral history of hell." it's morbid and slightly surreal fantasy i guess?

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

What Happened To Pizza At McDonalds might be something. It's not fiction but it is satirical

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god beef and dairy network is amazing.

Though audio fiction has become nearly synonymous with horror in my brain so in the back of my mind there is probably more dread than was intended.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
This week's episode of Creepy(Mayhem Mountain) was
tenor.gif

Literally all the fears a person can have about rollercoasters rolled into one. What a damn good episode. one of the best he's done. Also, the creepy pateron is about 22 patrons away from bumping up the bonus episodes from 3 to 4. It's one of the best deals around for $5 a month.
https://www.patreon.com/creepypod/overview

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This week's episode of Creepy(Mayhem Mountain) was
tenor.gif

Literally all the fears a person can have about rollercoasters rolled into one. What a damn good episode. one of the best he's done. Also, the creepy pateron is about 22 patrons away from bumping up the bonus episodes from 3 to 4. It's one of the best deals around for $5 a month.
https://www.patreon.com/creepypod/overview
Was it in the vein of the SCP coaster?
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-112

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
There's some similar beats between the two, but the creepy one goes for a more grounded version. Focusing on things that some people worry about in real life, which leaves you with the feeling of "I don't want to go on a rollercoaster right now"

Can't wait for creepy's 31 days of horror, a new story everyday is always treat. Think he's doing bonus episodes on top of that, which is kinda crazy

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Creepy's first horror story for the month was pretty good. Hope the dude who writes it continues doing stories in the series.

Been liking Archive 81's third season. Always like it when authors push the boundaries of weird.

Haven't really tried within the wires s3 after how disappointing s2 was.

Tried 2 eps of darkest night s3, but god damn. They really fucked up their whole universe with that dumb ass reveal from season 2

Uncanny county s2 was very good this season. Always such wholesome episodes

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Creepy's Tales of Gas Station kinda reminds me of bloodborne's level of creepiness. The storytelling has that lovecraftian vibe even though i have never read one

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i didn't realize creepy was literally the world's supply of decent creepypasta in audio form. finally started listening to it. nice nostalgia trip and also great for messing with my head on the way home from work late at night.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Creepy's new bonus episode "all roads lead to rome" is quite the interesting mix of lovecraft and gentrification. Loving all the lovecraft type stories they've been doing this month. Also, congrats to them for hitting top 100 on itunes. Hope that allows them to hit the next patron goal, I want that upgrade to 4 bonus episodes a week!

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, as soon as I made that post he hit 500 subs. I'm not sure, but I wasn't expecting the Cupcakes story today. Even tho it's pretty famous within it's fandom

Anyway, More Badass keeps posting interesting fictional podcasts in the other thread. And think he found some good ones this week.

600 Second Saga is a collection of 10 minutes or less fictional stories. So far they're pretty good. Even if I run into some meh ones, i've only wasted a few minutes of my time.

The Other Stories also has been good so far. They're a weekly podcast which runs stories based on the monthly theme. They've had some proper weird stories so far, so I hope they keep the pace as I go through their backlog.

Haven't listened to the first episode, but Adventures in New America interests me as a black man. Since it's written and voiced by a mostly black cast. And the story focuses on black people.

Man, this thread really dies when it gets moved to hangouts. Feel like i'm the only one who uses the Watch thread feature

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
made it to the creepy episode "1999." kinda surprised i never read that one before back when i used to get lost in those corners of the internet.

scrolling ahead through the list, i'm kinda disappointed he's dedicated so many eps to the holders.

also the ads cut for the end of creepy eps are just so bad. if i didn't already know that I liked uncanny county I don't think that ad would have ever led to me giving it a chance. i wonder what great shows I'm secretly writing off based on bad ads.

Man, this thread really dies when it gets moved to hangouts. Feel like i'm the only one who uses the Watch thread feature

i watch the thread, I just don't post a lot. figured this didn't need to turn into my personal magnus archives fanboy station.

edit: wait we're not in hangouts i guess?

Last edited:

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
made it to the creepy episode "1999." kinda surprised i never read that one before back when i used to get lost in those corners of the internet.

scrolling ahead through the list, i'm kinda disappointed he's dedicated so many eps to the holders.

also the ads cut for the end of creepy eps are just so bad. if i didn't already know that I liked uncanny county I don't think that ad would have ever led to me giving it a chance. i wonder what great shows I'm secretly writing off based on bad ads.

i watch the thread, I just don't post a lot. figured this didn't need to turn into my personal magnus archives fanboy station.

edit: wait we're not in hangouts i guess?
The ads helped me try out some series. Dont think I ever listened to the trailers tho, just looked at the show notes. Theres a lot of holders, but he pretty much sped through them in a week. Im assuming he got fired from somewhere and had to crunch for money

Had the thread moved from hangouts since it's on life support

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I recall Limetown going a bit off the rails towards the end? I remember enjoying it, but less so the further I got into it.

I'll probably check season 2 anyway.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
i remember something about a pig??

I dunno to me it seems like it's probably a case of it being one of the first big fictional podcast hits. Maybe it is as good as people remember, but I'll need to give it a relisten to find out.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
There was a new Knifepoint Horror today, pretty interesting episode.

I've been enjoying the latest NoSleep episodes, they've picked up in variety in quality and I'm also glad to hear that this Summer series is finally coming to an end, even if it takes up a couple more spots in the premium episodes.

Once again I recommend everyone listen to The White Vault, easily my second favorite narrative podcast behind MAG, the people making it are very passionate and they do plenty of behind the scenes episodes.

I took a listen to The Hidden Frequencies podcast that was shouted out on NoSleep, it's decent. Good audio quality and they seem to be doing rendition of older horror radio shows.

I've also been on the Creepy patreon for 2 months, it's worth checking out, although I'm not a fan of how he catalogs his stories.

Last edited:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Guys!! Have you listened to the newest episode of king falls am? Lily wright chronicle?!! Damn. The truth has spoken!!

I may miss this part, but

Is it told in that episode what happened the beauregard's children in perditian wood?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Guys!! Have you listened to the newest episode of king falls am? Lily wright chronicle?!! Damn. The truth has spoken!!

Is it told in that episode what happened the beauregard's children in perditian wood?

It's not said explicitly what happened but their ultimate fate is discussed.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I've also been on the Creepy patreon for 2 months, it's worth checking out, although I'm not a fan of how he catalogs his stories.
Ya, it's a bit annoying how it's only labeled as early release instead of having the story title there. I'm sure if you bring it up with him he might change it.

I'll have to throw a full recommendation into The Other Stories. Very good audio, quality voice actors, and good stories. It's an anthology series about interesting, weird, or horror stories. Most stories are 15 minutes or less which makes it easy to pick up. I just need them to add a dedicated RSS feed to the pateron support

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did anyone listen to The Horror of Dolores Roach? Honestly, I found myself turning it off before the end of the first episode. Does it get any better?

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Just realized we're a few days away from the return of Limetown. I hope it's at least on the same level as season one. For a while I thought we weren't ever going to get a second season, and now there's the podcast, the Jessica Biel TV series (looking forward to it even though it'll probably be DOA unless Facebook decides to make a normal, standalone streaming app for Facebook Watch) and the prequel novel (anyone else getting that?)

We hear about the aftermath but I don't recall them saying exactly what happened other than it was an accident. Great episode, though.