• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angleton

Oct 27, 2017
Listened to episode 1 of I am in Askew on the drive home, really enjoyed it. About to start episode 1 of The White Vault.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Ooof, Season 10 of No Sleep has been thoroughly mediocre so far. Either it's severely underwritten and cuts off early or it's just not really a horror story in the first place

OceanicAir

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Limetown is coming back on Halloween!

And The Black Tapes might not be quite over either! (The "ending" might have been a bizarre long con?)

Also, while I'm here, people really need to get on The Big Loop, the entire season (only 6 episodes) was soooooooo good.

Angleton

Oct 27, 2017
I've only listened to 1 episode of The White Vault so far but have more queued up for my drive home .

Askew is my new favourite podcast. Its creepy and wierd and I love it. It reminds me of The Magnus Archives in that each episode could pass for a statement if presented in that format.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Movie (another PNWS/PRA/MBW podcast) released with 6 episodes. Anyone want to listen to it and tell us if it's yet another interesting premise that goes nowhere filled with interviews with characters that are needlessly cryptic? I don't know if I can handle another one lol.

Maybe being shorter helps avoid the problems of the other podcasts.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
The Last Movie (another PNWS/PRA/MBW podcast) released with 6 episodes. Anyone want to listen to it and tell us if it's yet another interesting premise that goes nowhere filled with interviews with characters that are needlessly cryptic? I don't know if I can handle another one lol.

Its a Nic narrated one. Pretty much in the Tanis format. I'm only 1 ep in so far but it seems like less random interviews.

However what really popped out was some weird coded statements in the middle of the adverts. Stuff that had nothing to with the product sandwiched right in the middle of the ad.

And literally as I'm writing this there's a contest or something to decipher the codes in the ads and tweet it to them.

There's also some weird real life cross over in the series with names of the actors.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
New Knifepoint Horror episode is up.

Ooof, Season 10 of No Sleep has been thoroughly mediocre so far. Either it's severely underwritten and cuts off early or it's just not really a horror story in the first place
Yeah, it's been really underwhelming, especially since I enjoyed season 9 a lot. Last couple episodes I'm like "ehhh, that's it", and that's with the full access.

Last edited:

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
I've just marathoned all currently released episodes of I Am in Eskew.

Phew. This stuff is legit.

I was kind of meh on episode 1 but every episode after that was utterly captivating.

This is the first horror podcast since Magnus and Knifepoint that actually makes me feel like turning the lights on (though that might be worse).

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I've just marathoned all currently released episodes of I Am in Eskew.

Phew. This stuff is legit.

I was kind of meh on episode 1 but every episode after that was utterly captivating.

This is the first horror podcast since Magnus and Knifepoint that actually makes me feel like turning the lights on (though that might be worse).
I sometimes stay late at work to play games with some friends and end up walking home a mile at like 10pm and have found myself on an episode of I Am in Eskew twice. It's a pretty quiet and lonely walk for about half a mile.

That shit's unsettling.

I fucking love it.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
New Knifepoint Horror episode is up.

Yeah, it's been really underwhelming, especially since I enjoyed season 9 a lot. Last couple episodes I'm like "ehhh, that's it", and that's with the full access.
Yeap, super disappointing. The giant head story was so underdeveloped it wasn't even funny. That meta narrative they did was super mediocre too.

If you aren't listening to I Am In Eskew you should be. It focuses on the madness aspect of Lovecraftian horror while something Magnus Archives focuses on the strange and unexplainable.

I'm sad EOS 10 seems dead, was a very solid comedy podcast set in space.

Can't wait for Alice isn't Dead S3 this month. Def one of my fav podcasts.

The Grayscale's ending kind of sucked ass. Didn't help that everything after S1 was kinda eh. Was not expecting the show to go the route it did and I think it's worse for it.

Finished Station to Station and am very meh on it. Wasn't bad or anything, but felt like nothing was happening most of the time. And the season finale did nothing to help the rest.

Picked up Station Blue too, seems like it could turn out to be pretttty good. Love Antarctica settings so I hope it lives up to its setup.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I dont know if i have posted it before. Im kinda experiencing false memory right now.

There is this podcast that i think you guys will be interested in especially if you guys love horror. I think the name of the podcast is Creepy. Found it on spotify a month ago. It's pretty great. The stories are mostly magnificent

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
New episode of I Am in Eskew!

New narrator. Her delivery was hit and miss, but I loved the change of perspective to someone outside of Eskew hearing about it for the first time. And then... not being outside.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeap, super disappointing. The giant head story was so underdeveloped it wasn't even funny. That meta narrative they did was super mediocre too.

If you aren't listening to I Am In Eskew you should be. It focuses on the madness aspect of Lovecraftian horror while something Magnus Archives focuses on the strange and unexplainable.

I'm sad EOS 10 seems dead, was a very solid comedy podcast set in space.

Can't wait for Alice isn't Dead S3 this month. Def one of my fav podcasts.

The Grayscale's ending kind of sucked ass. Didn't help that everything after S1 was kinda eh. Was not expecting the show to go the route it did and I think it's worse for it.

Finished Station to Station and am very meh on it. Wasn't bad or anything, but felt like nothing was happening most of the time. And the season finale did nothing to help the rest.

Picked up Station Blue too, seems like it could turn out to be pretttty good. Love Antarctica settings so I hope it lives up to its setup.
Yea, I really enjoy Peter Lewis renditions, which made the weird, disjointed segments even more disappointing. They reminded me of the weird shift in season 2 of Archive 81.

I see what you mean about the stories lacking, they really feel like YA adventure stories with some horror elements.

I have I am in Eskew on deck, I'm still going through Kings Falls AM.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked up Eskew based on this thread. First ep was a little long but seemed promising so I'll give it a chance.

A friend put me on to Darkest Night recently. Another horror anthology pod with meta narrative. I thought it was shit, gets a hard dis-recommend from me. The meta story is lame, there's this superfluous narration that breaks the whole conceit of the show, they keep bringing in cornball music... a couple eps from the first season worked but the start of season 2 was so aggressively bad that I bailed.

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
I picked up Eskew based on this thread. First ep was a little long but seemed promising so I'll give it a chance.

A friend put me on to Darkest Night recently. Another horror anthology pod with meta narrative. I thought it was shit, gets a hard dis-recommend from me. The meta story is lame, there's this superfluous narration that breaks the whole conceit of the show, they keep bringing in cornball music... a couple eps from the first season worked but the start of season 2 was so aggressively bad that I bailed.

100% agree about Darkest Night. God I wish it had been better. I really really need more like Magnus. Eskew is just about the only other thing on my radar that is supernatural horror (as opposed to sci-fi horror) with a meta-plot.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there something in here I can listen to while working ? Not sure if I'm able to follow any podcast like this while concentrating on something else.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I really enjoy Peter Lewis renditions, which made the weird, disjointed segments even more disappointing. They reminded me of the weird shift in season 2 of Archive 81.

I see what you mean about the stories lacking, they really feel like YA adventure stories with some horror elements.

I have I am in Eskew on deck, I'm still going through Kings Falls AM.
Didn't help that they were presented with no context which lead to a very confusing series events in which nothing really happens and nothing is explained.

Ya, they really need to step it up. Latest episode had some good stuff but needs more horror.

100% agree about Darkest Night. God I wish it had been better. I really really need more like Magnus. Eskew is just about the only other thing on my radar that is supernatural horror (as opposed to sci-fi horror) with a meta-plot.
I've never seen a podcast with such a cool premise immediately fuck it up by trying to ground it in reality. Which just makes certain aspects of the series seem outlandish from that point on. Doesn't help that the true meta plot is just boring ass corporate espionage. Quite the shame because it had potential to sit up with some of the great horror podcasts.

Is there something in here I can listen to while working ? Not sure if I'm able to follow any podcast like this while concentrating on something else.
You'll want to look for mostly comedies then. King Falls AM, Hello from the Magic Tavern, EOS 10, etc

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Early The Adventure Zone might be ok for working. It's mostly jokes and hijinks and the stories aren't intricate.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

listened to it across a few days. it had story progress, reached a seemingly-self-contained ending, benefited from having MK there constantly, and only had a couple shameless tanis plugs. not particularly amazing but ok.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
listened to it across a few days. it had story progress, reached a seemingly-self-contained ending, benefited from having MK there constantly, and only had a couple shameless tanis plugs. not particularly amazing but ok.

I liked it. It did suffer a bit from PRA's style of introducing way too many names in a short amount of time, but it had a nice resolution.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Three eps into Eskew and I'm digging it so far (hah!). The stripped down production is a relief after Darkest Night was so overdoing it. Just a gentle susurrous of rain.

Between their ep three and Magnus's recent run, I'm all about dirt horror lately.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite podcast is: Creepy
You should check it out
Creepy is fine, I pop in and out when I want some horror. I listened through his Small Town Horror podcast, I'd recommend it if you need some more horror (3/5 if I had to give a score).

Mr.Creepypasta Story time is a similar podcast to Creepy.

Bad stories with some good production values. I stopped at the end season 1.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I Am In Eskew is still great, it's basically everything I wanted from Night Vale. An almost-nonchalant local report about the happenings in a weird town/place, but with a serious and unsettling tone rather than Night Vale's humorous throw-everything-at-the-way approach

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Subbed to this thread. Pumped to dig through this list later. I've been obsessed with King Falls AM. Binged it all at work and had a blast. Can't wait to add more to my rotation.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I Am In Eskew is still great, it's basically everything I wanted from Night Vale. An almost-nonchalant local report about the happenings in a weird town/place, but with a serious and unsettling tone rather than Night Vale's humorous throw-everything-at-the-way approach
Yeah, I liked Night Vale for a while, and I think it sometimes can pull off the creepy vibe, but it's always tinged with this twee flavor that I'm super tired of.

I keep listening anyway...

Angleton

Oct 27, 2017
I agree about Night Vale. From the description I was given before I started listening I thought it was going to be a normal radio station in a strange town trying their best to report on supernatural going ons. Maybe if I hadn't gone into it expecting that I might have enjoyed it more and stuck with it .

I really like King Falls AM though .

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
King Falls AM is great, yeah.

Though I think the latest story beat is getting a bit long in the tooth. Almost full-on monotonous.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 4 episodes behind on KF AM, probably gonna wait until a few more are out and then binge them in an evening.

Been enjoying it a whole lot so far, but yeah - it's really kinda dragging. I dunno, I think it's good they really took their time to set things up, but they need to really kick all these plotlines into gear and start smashing through them. It's been on for what, a couple of years already? And it still feels like it's just getting started. Don't really want to listen to it for a few years, only to see it abandoned, or hastily finished up with lots of hanging plotlines because of real life or budget problems.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to whoever posted about "i am in eskew" in here. i love it. really taking the edge off of the magnus midseason break. i think it's winding up in my spooky podcast top-tier alongside knifepoint horror and the magnus archives.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm plowing through Wolf 359 and Eos 10 on a road trip this week. Wolf is amazing. I love how deftly it shifts from antics to actual thrills and suspense. I'm going to be sad to listen to the finale.

Eos is fun, but drops a lot of plotlines in odd ways. I haven't finished the available seasons yet but it's kind of all over the place. There's a conspiracy, then some joke episodes, then a big AI reveal, then some more jokes. Just sort of uneven.

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
I somehow missed that there was a new Eskew 7 days ago.

The intro section gave me some minor chills this time: the fact that the narrator doesn't remember a lot of the events he's talked to us about through the recordings.

And then... something else hit me.

What the fuck this isn't the same narrator any more. But he still introduced himself as "David Ward".

What the fuck is going on? This new voice has a much higher voice than the original "David Ward".

Surely this is significant and not just the production team deciding that it'd be cool to have a different voice actor from time to time.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super bummed I somehow managed to spoil a few major revelations of Wolf359 for myself lol. I'm sure it would certainly be enjoyable still, but I can't find the motivation to listen to it anymore.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
On what episode are you now?

31, it looks like. It's been quite a while since I've listened to it, though, would have to start over I think.

Actually.. Now that I think of it, the only revelation I remember getting spoiled on anymore is
the existence of aliens
I'm pretty certain I got spoiled on one or two more major things, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were lol. Maybe I should start it over.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I somehow missed that there was a new Eskew 7 days ago.

The intro section gave me some minor chills this time: the fact that the narrator doesn't remember a lot of the events he's talked to us about through the recordings.

And then... something else hit me.

What the fuck this isn't the same narrator any more. But he still introduced himself as "David Ward".

What the fuck is going on? This new voice has a much higher voice than the original "David Ward".

Surely this is significant and not just the production team deciding that it'd be cool to have a different voice actor from time to time.

i'm thrilled that i keep managing to listen to episodes of horror podcasts in very thematic ways. I listened to magnus's Fatigue while sleep depped and exhausted as hell, and I just managed to blunder into listening to this episode of eskew while
cooking seafood.

but as to the spoilered discussion,
i did wonder at first, but then the suspicions faded and it felt normal by the end. i wonder if it just happened or if the changes happened earlier.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
31, it looks like. It's been quite a while since I've listened to it, though, would have to start over I think.

Actually.. Now that I think of it, the only revelation I remember getting spoiled on anymore is
the existence of aliens
I'm pretty certain I got spoiled on one or two more major things, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were lol. Maybe I should start it over.
I dont think it is going to matter since what matters to me the most is the interaction among them. Like in episode Securite, I know Eiffel is not going to die. But the way the plot is weaved is very beautiful and touching or like Tactical Brain Damage episode, the mindblowing ending is fantastic even if you listen to it for couple times

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
Any good DnD podcast recommends?

Have listened to, and liked Nerd Poker, Pretend Wizards, and The Penny Arcade stuff. Tabletop Escapades is also great, but better when you can watch.

Also liked the early Adventure Zone, but bounced off pretty hard once they went to the moon, or whatever.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Any good DnD podcast recommends?

Have listened to, and liked Nerd Poker, Pretend Wizards, and The Penny Arcade stuff. Tabletop Escapades is also great, but better when you can watch.

Also liked the early Adventure Zone, but bounced off pretty hard once they went to the moon, or whatever.
The Film Reroll
Neo Scum
Cthulhu & Friends
One Shot
Party of One

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
NeoScum is my personal fav right now.

I'd ask that people give it a bit of time, though. I've known a few who bounced off early on due to some... particularly dumb antics involving a foot and a man's nether regions. It takes a while to get the ball(s) rolling. Eventually it becomes a lot more creative, fun, and at times serious in compelling (if still often goofy on the surface) ways.

It doesn't shy away from crude humor, though. Fair warning. Not offensive, I don't think, but crude.