• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Just realized something related to Wolf359. Some characters remind me so much of Last of Us

Commander Minkowski = Tess

Captain Lovelace = Marlene

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm so annoyed by these Vampire Summer stories on NoSleep. Kills me that they take up so much time on the paid feed, decent episode this week otherwise.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Just have to pop in and remind folks that King Falls AM is really, really, good. Great writing, great acting, and top notch production quality all around. The way they build up the narrative is so, so good. And it pays off really well so far. More people should check it out.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NeoScum is my personal fav right now.

I'd ask that people give it a bit of time, though. I've known a few who bounced off early on due to some... particularly dumb antics involving a foot and a man's nether regions. It takes a while to get the ball(s) rolling. Eventually it becomes a lot more creative, fun, and at times serious in compelling (if still often goofy on the surface) ways.

It doesn't shy away from crude humor, though. Fair warning. Not offensive, I don't think, but crude.

Is neoscum a podcast about NeoGAF's owner or fiction?

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao damn

Also: Oh. Haha. Right. It's Shadowrun. Didn't even say that in my post.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Just have to pop in and remind folks that King Falls AM is really, really, good. Great writing, great acting, and top notch production quality all around. The way they build up the narrative is so, so good. And it pays off really well so far. More people should check it out.
I checked it out thanks to this thread. I'm at ep 40 or so, they are really talented, I feel that it gets a bit bogged down with the overarching stuff, but the people making it are incredibly talented.

I checked out Eskew, I'm really digging the Knifepoint narrative style vibe.

Angleton

Oct 27, 2017
Any good DnD podcast recommends?

Have listened to, and liked Nerd Poker, Pretend Wizards, and The Penny Arcade stuff. Tabletop Escapades is also great, but better when you can watch.

Also liked the early Adventure Zone, but bounced off pretty hard once they went to the moon, or whatever.

D&D is for Nerds is a great and very funny podcast if you are still looking for recomeendations .

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, archive 81 coming back for a 3rd season soon

No sleep continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel with their stories. Most are pretty much regular stories with some horror moments splashed in

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
It does.

My gf ruined knifepoint for me when she pointed out how the narrator talks
Lol, why would that ruin it for you?

I think that's part of the charm of voice acting. Hitting a certain cadence/delivery. At this point I've heard multiple renditions of some horror stories from different podcasts and even original radio broadcasts, and at the very least it's interesting hearing the differences in delivery.

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
Back to the female narrator from before.

I guess I missed before that the "lost son" she was looking for is David Ward, the regular narrator. Cool.

I'm not a big fan of this government conspiracy angle this narrator seems to be hinting at.

I'd prefer the city of Eskew to be purely supernatural in nature and not some government sanctioned purposely constructed "thing" that happens to be super fucked up and scary.

OOOOKAAAY that imagery at the end got me.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Oh no, only 2 episodes of SAYER left! What am I gonna do now when laying in bed before actually going to sleep :( Been listening to an episode or two pretty much every night for a few weeks now.

I guess I'm looking for recommendations again. Something like SAYER. Mysterious, with dark humor and some (or a lot) of horror and creepy stuff. And if possible, it'd be great if it was this much of a joy to listen to. Adam Bash's sayer voice is absolutely mesmerizing, and the podcast has incredible music and sound effects to boot. So so much more nicer to listen to than something like, say, MAG with its frankly annoying narrator and even more annoying sound quality.

But yeah, as long as it's even vaguely similar to SAYER, I'm willing to give anything and everything a try

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, only 2 episodes of SAYER left! What am I gonna do now when laying in bed before actually going to sleep :( Been listening to an episode or two pretty much every night for a few weeks now.

I guess I'm looking for recommendations again. Something like SAYER. Mysterious, with dark humor and some (or a lot) of horror and creepy stuff. And if possible, it'd be great if it was this much of a joy to listen to. Adam Bash's sayer voice is absolutely mesmerizing, and the podcast has incredible music and sound effects to boot. So so much more nicer to listen to than something like, say, MAG with its frankly annoying narrator and even more annoying sound quality.

But yeah, as long as it's even vaguely similar to SAYER, I'm willing to give anything and everything a try
Have you listened to I Am In Eskew yet?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Magnus is baaaaaaaaaaaaack.
this particular statement wasn't something i expected to get so soon. really freaking delivered though. All actors involved killed it. And this sure was one of those weeks where the podcast description alone made for a serious oh-shit moment as soon as i refreshed the app. looking forward to the eventual "statement of elias regarding why he is such a bastard" though. Or should I say, "Statement of Jonah Magnus regarding the purpose of his institute." And all the other things i hope to see more of. "statement of Gerard Keay regarding his family's service of various powers?" "Statement of Mary Keay regarding her avoidance of death?" oh and "statement of melanie King regarding that whole being shot by ghosts thing."

Back to the female narrator from before.

I guess I missed before that the "lost son" she was looking for is David Ward, the regular narrator. Cool.

I'm not a big fan of this government conspiracy angle this narrator seems to be hinting at.

I'd prefer the city of Eskew to be purely supernatural in nature and not some government sanctioned purposely constructed "thing" that happens to be super fucked up and scary.

OOOOKAAAY that imagery at the end got me.
to me it kinda sounded more like
the government brushed up against something genuinely supernatural and awful and ran away screaming. there has to be something genuinely unholy about orion. hopefully Eskew was some messed-up place hidden in some corner of the world and Orion deciphered how to sell the local topography abroad for profit.

Last edited:

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Life/After yesterday and while there was a lot to like about the series I felt like the last couple of episodes failed to come together with the sort of impact I was hoping for. I thought the production and acting was great throughout, and the story had a lot of potential that just lost some steam towards the end.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I didnt think archive 81 could get any weirder after last season, but here we are with season 3. I'm loving it

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Where's it going now?
Last I checked in, it was diving headlong into eldritch horror madness at the start of S2
Might give it another shot

It's now back in the real world, about a brother-and-sister team doing some sort of ritual and banging around the edges of magic. I've liked all three seasons, for what it's worth.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Where's it going now?
Last I checked in, it was diving headlong into eldritch horror madness at the start of S2
Might give it another shot
Its like, lovecraft mixed with hmmmmm hitchhikers guide maybe? Had some dark comedy this episode.

Creepy continues to be super solid. Was pretty much what i was expecting outta kowabana. Becoming a pateron supporter is super worth it too. Only 5 a month for 3 more stories a week, plus the ad free version of the weekly release

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Its like, lovecraft mixed with hmmmmm hitchhikers guide maybe? Had some dark comedy this episode.

Creepy continues to be super solid. Was pretty much what i was expecting outta kowabana. Becoming a pateron supporter is super worth it too. Only 5 a month for 3 more stories a week, plus the ad free version of the weekly release

Narrated creepypasta? I need to check this out

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeap, it's good. Narrator is pretty good and has done some stuff on no sleep before

Yeah, listened to a random episode for a few minutes, narration and audio quality seemed great. I loved to read creepypasta years ago, looking forward to hearing someone narrate some of my old favorites!

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Yeap, it's good. Narrator is pretty good and has done some stuff on no sleep before
Can't remember him on NoSleep, but I've mentioned before that he had a previous narrative horror podcast called Small Town Horror.

I keep trying to get into I Am Eskew, I like the pacing and story-telling but I keep losing track of what's going on in the story.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I have reached Bolero episode (Wolf359 season 4)

Wow. Isabella and hilbert died. It seems startin from now there is going to big massive shift in term of story tone. I personally really love hilbert, his quirk elegant accent is very precious, he is a really sarcastic doctor.

Isabella. Well.. she grew on me. Too bad things dont go well. I always imagined her as Marlene

Doctor Maxwell.. I dont feel so good :( i really like her, her voice is soothing. I imagined her as Mariah Carey in lab coat. Lol

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I have reached Bolero episode (Wolf359 season 4)

Wow. Isabella and hilbert died. It seems startin from now there is going to big massive shift in term of story tone. I personally really love hilbert, his quirk elegant accent is very precious, he is a really sarcastic doctor.

Isabella. Well.. she grew on me. Too bad things dont go well. I always imagined her as Marlene

Doctor Maxwell.. I dont feel so good :( i really like her, her voice is soothing. I imagined her as Mariah Carey in lab coat. Lol
That's kinda when I started getting bored with the show to be honest. I somehow still finished it, but, I dunno. Just not really what I wanted. Started out as a quirky fun show, ended up as an overly serious drama. Eh.

I think I'm in the minority, though, at least around these parts. D:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
That's kinda when I started getting bored with the show to be honest. I somehow still finished it, but, I dunno. Just not really what I wanted. Started out as a quirky fun show, ended up as an overly serious drama. Eh.

I think I'm in the minority, though, at least around these parts. D:
So did you finish it till the end? I still like it. I gave it time between season 3 to 4, i didnt rush it so I didnt feel the franchise fatigue.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
So did you finish it till the end? I still like it. I gave it time between season 3 to 4, i didnt rush it so I didnt feel the franchise fatigue.
I did finish it. It was...fine. Not a fan of most of the characters introduced on the later bits.

I'd rather it had stayed goofy and fun than go super dramatic.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
My god this is excruciating. I remember cracking up at Unit 33 (From the old thread) take on this podcast.

Nick / Alex: Can you tell me about the thing?
(Several seconds of silence)
Mysterious character: Yes
Nick / Alex: Yes?
(A minute of silence)
Mysterious character: The thing in the woods calls to us
Nick / Alex: What do you mean by that?
(Five minutes of silence)
Nick / Alex: Mysterious character?
Mysterious character: I'm sorry I can't tell you any more.
Ha! I was trawling through old posts in the thread looking for fictional podcasts about aliens and thought I recognised something!

Tanis has not changed in the slightest, but I still enjoy it for some reason. I don't know why I'm holding out for a pay off. I'm sure it will resolve with Nick having some funky sensory deprivation tank experience involving shadow figures in a cabin (again). I'd like to think that the PNWS podcasts will all tie up into a mega resolution, and not just as a platform to sell that book they've been teasing.

MK: Oh there's this super cool book called The Malacetic Atlas
Nick: The Malacetic Atlas?
MK: Yes that's right, the Malacetic Atlas
Nick: Does it have a WEBSITE?
MK: Yes, www.malaceticatlas.com
Nick: www.malaceticatlas.com?
MK: Yes, www.malaceticatlas.com
Nick: Could you email me a link, eh?
MK: Already did.

etc etc

The Magnus Archives is on top form and I won't have any of that criticism that they're going to deep into the meta plot. I think Jonny is doing well to maintain the balance of anthology-like statement stories / character drama / over arching mega plot.

By the way if anyone can suggest a podcast straight up about UFOs or aliens hit me up man. I've been listening to a lot of 'The Last Podcast on the Left' and it's been odd recognising the real-life influences to a lot of the fictional podcasts.

I am Askew is pretty wild, some similar vibes to the better written SCPs out there... you know, the more narrative driven ones. That may be a reductive statement, but it feels similar in my head.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
PNSW crowd do have some good voice actors who can work up some good chemistry, it's just the writing, sprawling plot and dialogue that really kills any sort of momentum. I think people who enjoy their podcasts love getting into the "lore" of it, which instantly turns me off in any sort of medium.

As for MAG, I'm still enjoying and I don't have any direct critiques, but like I mentioned I really don't like following along too much when it comes to meta archs.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The Magnus Archives is on top form and I won't have any of that criticism that they're going to deep into the meta plot. I think Jonny is doing well to maintain the balance of anthology-like statement stories / character drama / over arching mega plot.

By the way if anyone can suggest a podcast straight up about UFOs or aliens hit me up man. I've been listening to a lot of 'The Last Podcast on the Left' and it's been odd recognising the real-life influences to a lot of the fictional podcasts.

I am Askew is pretty wild, some similar vibes to the better written SCPs out there... you know, the more narrative driven ones. That may be a reductive statement, but it feels similar in my head.
The recent Magnus episode "A Matter of Perspective" was best-of-series tier, but I haven't found the larger focus on the overarching story that interesting this season or the more standalone episodes as creepy. My other favorites from this season were We All Ignore The Pit and Upon The Stair

I like the overarching story when it was the more unsettling stuff happening among the already unsettling stuff. Now that it's no longer this kind of amorphous Lovecraftian evil and conspiracy but instead lore and rules and names, that part of the story has lost a big part of the mystery. Vaguely creepy books and hints of larger eldritch influence over the events that Institute were investigating was far more uneasy and eerie than "The Beholding"

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
For TV shows I always prefer there being an overarching story instead of episodes being entirely self-contained.

With fiction podcasts...I'm starting to have the opposite opinion. I don't care about the overarching story of the Magnus Archives, but love the statements. I wish The Black Tapes never bothered with its overarching story and had them just investigate a different black tape every episode. Bright Sessions should have had more patients for Dr. Bright to help instead of...whatever is going on now.

Angleton

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying Bubble the new podcast from Maximum Fun.

Welcome to Fairhaven, a literal Bubble of corporate utopia set amid the wild, goblin-infested Brush. The first scripted comedy series from Maximum Fun, Bubble tells a tale that is both contemporary and otherworldly, as a small band of monster killers struggles to make ends meet and find love in a nightmarish version of the gig economy.

Starring: Alison Becker (Parks and Recreation), Keith Powell (30 Rock), Cristela Alonzo (Cristela), Eliza Skinner (The Late Late Show) and Mike Mitchell (Love), with appearances by Judy Greer, John Hodgman, Martin Starr, Paul F. Tompkins, and many, many more.

They have just released episode 4 of 8.

Edit: Just as I finished posting this I got a notification from Pocket Cast that there is a new episode of Sayer ready to download, looks like Season 5 is here.

Last edited:

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, glad SAYER is back. Nice little ep, kind of a mashup of previous good SAYER concepts, but the execution was solid.

I need this since Magnus is bad now and Eskew is so unreliable.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Oh snap, didn't even notice SAYER is back already. Probably gonna wait until a few episodes are out and binge them.

Or maybe I'll listen to it from the beginning yet again. I love it, it's easily one of my favorite narrative ones (likely THE favorite), but man it can be hard to follow.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm coming to terms with the fact that NoSleep will not return to its creepypasta roots and instead is now a show that is focused on producing stories around first drafts of short stories with some horror themes. Luckily it seems like Creepy has picked up the flag and has been doing a pretty good job at covering creepypasta stories. Some of the narrations are still iffy, but overall I've enjoyed the stories I've heard.

I'm starting to feel that MAG has peaked a bit too early for me, if I could come up with a reasonable comparison that could add to what Badass said, it would be the difference between RE and SH. The tension in RE eventually settles out because the player eventually gets more powerful, and gets a better perspective of what's occurring around them. The plot stops being about escaping terror and becomes about defeating it, thus changing a power balance between the protagonist and the horror at bay. The SH games are great at continuously keeping the protagonist in a fog of unsettling confusion and terror, even as the player progresses the tension never lessens, if anything the world becomes more fucked up. Yes there's a some sort of a resolution at the end of these games that explains what is occurring in the plot, but it doesn't take way from unsettling nature of the world.

I'm starting to lose some interest in MAG because I feel
like I have to keep track of all these different characters in and out of the institute, as well as their revealed powers.

Last edited:

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to lose some interest in MAG because I feel
like I have to keep track of all these different characters in and out of the institute, as well as their revealed powers.

Same. It's so hard to keep up with those PNWS/PRA podcasts because of all the characters. I listen to podcasts when I'm outside so my attention tends to be a little divided. I just wanted to listen to interesting stuff. I don't want to have to write down notes and study them to get what's going on.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
Same. It's so hard to keep up with those PNWS/PRA podcasts because of all the characters. I listen to podcasts when I'm outside so my attention tends to be a little divided. I just wanted to listen to interesting stuff. I don't want to have to write down notes and study them to get what's going on.
Unfortunately we live a lore obsessed era. Not to say MAG is bad at it, I still find their writing and voice acting incredible.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I barely pay attention to the greater lore. I just absorb what's there. I think the individual stories are still (mostly) pretty dang solid.