• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
73k physical sales on 911k consoles, so an attach rate of around 8% without digital. Fifa in France should be similar in popularity to the average popularity in Europe, so we could get a reasonable estimate if we assume the same 8% attach rate for Europe. Nintendo sold 4.8 million consoles in the US until the end of the year, so Europe should end up with atleast 4 million console sales, probably even more. That would put the lower bound for the estimate at 320k physical copies in Europe. Considering the ~70k sales in Japan, and assuming atleast okayish sales in the America and the rest of the world it should be around 500k physical at the end of 2017. Between digital sales and the upcoming World Cup a million copies seems very possible.

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every sport team probably travels with a Switch. EA should focus on vastly improving next year's version.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Opportunity cost, if EA are satisfied with the numbers then they will do another one.

If not they are not sweating for money on this franchise.
It sells 1million copies first weekend in U.K.

They made like 650 million dollars on Ultimate Team in 2017, the money they're making from the physical copies is nice but they don't think that's the future unfortunately. If they could charge 60 dollars to just update an evergreen game that has ultimate team, they definitely would.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As I predicted Fifa Switch would do fine worldwide when it's all said and done.

As the userbase increases, so does the market for mainstream games.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Satisfied enough for a less-gimped sequel? Or Switch Madden, which is what I really need? Lol.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Game has sold much better than some thought. Seems to have had some solid legs, at least in some regions. Would like to see World Wide figures.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys know Xbox and ps4 numbers?
FIFA 17 sold more than 1 million physical copies for PS4, the Xbox One version did 200.000+ in France. The ratio was between 5:1 - 6:1.

SELL (French Video Games Trade Association) should be sharing some current GFK data soon. Their annual report is usually do begin February.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pleasantly surprised with this news.

I don't enjoy sports games, and I had fully resigned myself to not playing most if not all EA games on Switch beyond Fe. This is promising and I look forward to what is brought to the table

SLB1904

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
FIFA 17 sold more than 1 million physical copies for PS4, the Xbox One version did 200.000+ in France. The ratio was between 5:1 - 6:1.

SELL (French Video Games Trade Association) should be sharing some current GFK data soon. Their annual report is usually do begin February.

Thanks
Yeah fifa is big in France as expected

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Good to hear. Had the feeling the Switch could develop a decent sports game audience but was worried they wouldn't be among the system's early adopters which would potentially scare publishers off. I doubt the system will ever win over the powerusers who bring EA a billion dollars on Ultimate Team alone annually, but considering how well the system is doing in NA specifically I wouldn't be surprised to see Madden or NHL get their own versions within the next year or two.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Konami are gonna look at these numbers and reliase that Pro-Evo can do respectable numbers on switch right?

I mean I can't see a switch version of Pro-Evo sell less than the Xbox one version worldwide

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Well it sounds like their expectations were under 73k, no? Given that they're very satisfied at the current sales level.
That is not what I meant. In this case, imho, numbers doesn't mean much without context.

Thank you

SystemShark

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary
It always surprises me that large companies like EA, that have been developing these games on so many different architectures and have what I assume are highly competent programmers at their disposal, aren't able to churn out a high quality product with lower production values. Obviously there are many factors at work, and the desire has to be there to make these types of games, and it seems with the success of the Switch this may become more palatable.

(And to clarify, when I say high quality, I mean in a case like FIFA, playing with friends is just there.)

I am very likely, incorrectly, assuming that if you can make a very technical, asset heavy game on PS4 and XboxOne, making a game for the Switch should be comparably easier; to a point.

I guess what I'm saying is, give me Xbox360 NHL09 with current teams and players packaged as NHL19. I know porting costs money, and maybe I'm the only person that would want it. And to be honest, NHL09 was the last NHL game I purchased, so it can totally be whatever final year edition made it out on the 360/PS3.

I just really want some hockey on my Switch. Sorry for the ramble.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Engine is built. It will be much cheaper to iterate. Sales will only rise with 3-4x the installed base when FIFA 19 launches even if attach rate remains low.

Those thinking EA is done with Switch are delusional or fanboys or both

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Has there been any word on if EA will continue to support and push FIFA 18 sales with a World Cup DLC for Switch

Oct 25, 2017
Bummed that we won't get a fully-featured FIFA '19 like NBA 2K is fully featured.

If anything, I hope that the combination of this news and Bomberman's sales convince Konami to port PES over next year.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch out for the Switch version of FIFA 19 having no story-modus and replace all players with cartoon-versions of them. Also no Madden and NHL.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watch out for the Switch version of FIFA 19 having no story-modus and replace all players with cartoon-versions of them. Also no Madden and NHL.
0 chance for cartoon models though as that would actually imply some work.

No story mode... possibly.

It will live or die by finally having online matches between friends or not.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually something that I feel will happen to a lot of games as time passes. My friends and i picked up like 4 copies of dragon ball xenoverse when we saw its price drop to $20 this last black friday. There's something about picking up a multiplayer game as a group and going to a friends house to all play around the tv.

Oct 29, 2017
Fifa 18 is the best amazon selling item in UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_h__0

It shows how price sensitive this market is. Probably lots of people double dipping.
Wow wtf. People weren't lying when they said UK is all about price indeed.

(well that and lots of Switches were sold in the UK over the holiday, so Zelda was charting high last month, and I guess people are now moving on to FIFA, but that would in turn mean it's getting high attach rates in the UK too)

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
0 chance for cartoon models though as that would actually imply some work.
You say that, but for some reason they made this:
72481520080804_120500_2_big.jpg

EA is known to piss on people on Nintendo platforms for no reason. So i am very careful about the future of EA games.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Hopefully the game is close to 500k worldwide now that The game has done 100k in Japan and probably close to the same in France and so on