• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So Fifa 19 released last week with Ronaldo on the cover.
220px-fifa_19_coverw4eb6.jpg

The problem is, this man has been accused of rape committed in Las Vegas, 2009. He says it was consensual, but yet he paid the accuser hush money, and there's a statement where he's quoted as saying "She said no and stop several times", so he has literally admitted to it.

I don't know, does anyone else think this is fucked up? Shouldn't EA use someone else for the cover?

edit: changed to cover with juve shirt

Last edited:

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
They can always reprint and update the digital icon but there's already tons out in the wild.

neufel

Oct 29, 2017
Switzerland
It's a perfect 2018 time capsule, I guess.
But yeah, if he's not blacklisted from football, I don't see EA starting it. It's a bigger problem.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
So Fifa 19 released last week with Ronaldo on the cover.
fifa-19-ronaldo8civf.jpg

The problem is, this man has been accused of rape committed in Las Vegas, 2009. He says it was consensual, but yet he paid the accuser hush money, and there's a statement where he's quoted as saying "She said no and stop several times", so he has literally admitted to it.

I don't know, does anyone else think this is fucked up? Shouldn't EA use someone else for the cover?

I believe that he denies the allegations and the accuser said that she said "no". He only accepts they had sex.

Not trying to downplay just clarifying. There is no way EA does anything about this unless it becomes a much bigger thing or he is convicted or something, that almost certainly won't happen.

EDIT- My info is out of date, see below.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
There is a new investigation on the case so let's allow it to finish first.
I'm not a fan of him to be honest, but let's wait for a conclusion before taking any kind of measures.
If he is guilty, then I guess the most EA can do is change the cover for digital games and/or the game's app cover on consoles/PC.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
The news came out after the game had released. What do you expect them to do, recall every copy?

It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. Surely won't be the last.

Hell, I expected them to change it because of his team shift.

Edit: Oh they did.

Split-box-teaser-v2-742x4171.jpg

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
They also have the name and logo of a corrupt organisation on the front cover

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best they can do is edit the cover in game and changed the physical covers on unreleased ones. It's EA though I doubt they will do something unless the league themselves do something first.

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
User Banned (Permanent): Victim blaming and downplaying sexual assault, previous infractions
Sorry but everybody assuming that he is 100% rapist and she is 100% telling the true is just stupid.

"Sure, I only came up to see the view and the jacuzzi." Really?

Let the investigations unfold.

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Ht is in the cover because is the best football player on the planet and one of the most marketable ones.

Imagine if a film magazine changed or refused to do a cover with Woody allen...

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How can he go from saying that he had sex with her despite her saying no repeatedly, and then say this:

And expect us to believe him?

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, is FIFA gonna do anything about him? If not then he's still the super football star.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The guy was on the cover of FIFA 18 too (and maybe other previous FIFA)

Idk why people didn't make a big deal about rape thing back then.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump won the presidency while being a confessed rapist, sadly only some people seem to care. Rape is moral and acceptable to many apparently.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually wasnt aware that he essentially admitted it until this thread

Fucking disgusting

Yup that's why I'm kind of surprised it hasn't become a bigger deal here. I know the US tends to ignore soccer but we do cover bigger stars like Ronaldo and Messi plenty over here. I was expecting some kind of outside the lines blowout on ESPN and all their talking head shows but most of them didn't cover it at all or just glanced over it. They didn't even acknowledge that he admitted it in the statements, they're covering it like it's just an accusation.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing sexual assault allegations
Innocent until proven guilty. Disgusting title.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. Surely won't be the last.

Hell, I expected them to change it because of his team shift.

Edit: Oh they did.

Split-box-teaser-v2-742x4171.jpg

Fittingly, he looks like he's on the run from the cops on that cover.

Team colours are also close enough to prison stripes too.

Thread title is a factual statement though. Dude DID admit he did it.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can't be proven guilty when you agree to a settlement, there's no trial or anything after that lol. However we have him flat out saying that it happened in court. This isn't an accusation anymore, he raped someone. It's 100% confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.